PDA

View Full Version : Ulster Protestants

Black Wolf
07-05-2015, 05:10 AM
This thread is dedicated to the Ulster Protestants who are quite an interesting ethnoreligious group in that they formed relatively recently in the terms of the histories of Ireland and Britain. I have quite a bit of Ulster Protestant ancestry myself on my mother's side. My grandmother was actually born and raised in Ulster and was of Protestant stock. She was very proud to be from County Tyrone and my great grandfather and many of my great uncles were members of the Orange Order. There is a good possibility that I am actually distantly related to one of the founders of the Orange Order. I know that there has been a lot of bloody conflict in Ulster now for quite some time between the Protestants and Catholics and since I live in Canada I really do not side with one over the other yet I still do find the history of Ulster to be quite interesting. I have been to Ulster twice before and hope to visit again at some point in my life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestants_of_Ulster

Brianna
07-05-2015, 05:22 AM
You visited twice. What were your impressions of the people and the place?

Black Wolf
07-05-2015, 05:31 AM
You visited twice. What were your impressions of the people and the place?

Overall I found the people there to be quite friendly on an individual level. I interacted mainly with my relatives over there and most of them are still quite loyal to Britain and are Unionists. I got on well with all of them really. Of course I did interact with people in public as well though and like I said overall they seemed quite friendly.

Brianna
07-05-2015, 05:58 AM
Overall I found the people there to be quite friendly on an individual level. I interacted mainly with my relatives over there and most of them are still quite loyal to Britain and are Unionists. I got on well with all of them really. Of course I did interact with people in public as well though and like I said overall they seemed quite friendly.

Thanks for your reply. Do they look like typical Americans, or do they have distinguishing features that could set them apart from us?

Black Wolf
07-05-2015, 06:00 AM
Thanks for your reply. Do they look like typical Americans, or do they have distinguishing features that could set them apart from us?

They can pass easily as average White Americans.

Graham
07-05-2015, 09:12 AM
There is a good possibility that I am actually distantly related to one of the founders of the Orange Order.

Unlucky.

Black Wolf
07-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Unlucky.

They are quite the group I know lol.

Black Wolf
07-29-2015, 01:54 AM
The surnames that I know of so far from my grandmother's (born and raised in Ulster) side of the family are Wright, Oliver, Wilson, Jackson, Hadden and possibly Campbell. More research needs to be done to find more surnames. Fairly recently I received a match with a man and his daughter on Family Finder at FTDNA who have origins in an area of Ulster that is very close to where my grandmother was from. We share a 25.4 cM segment together on chromosome 16 together and my great uncle (grandmother's brother) also shares the exact same segment with them on chromosome 16 plus another smaller one on chromosome 2.