PDA

View Full Version : Armenian Church canonises 1.5 million genocide victims

European Knight
07-05-2015, 03:20 PM
The Armenian Apostolic Church on Thursday made saints of up to 1.5 million Armenians at an open-air ceremony to commemorate their killing by Ottoman Turks a century ago.

Armenia say the massacres during World War One constitute genocide – a term used this month by Pope Francis. Muslim Turkey accepts many Christian Armenians were killed in partisan fighting during the war, but denies it amounted to genocide.

The ceremony attended by church leaders and state officials marked the start of the killings in 1915, and was held in bright sunshine outside the 4th century Echmiadzin cathedral in Vagharshapat, 20 km (12 miles) from the Armenian capital.

It was the first time in 400 years that the Armenian Apostolic Church had authorized any canonisations.

When the two-hour ceremony ended at the symbolic time of 19.15, bells rang out 100 times, an action to be repeated at Armenian churches around the world.

"The canonisation of the martyrs of the genocide brings life-giving new breath, grace and blessing to our national and ecclesiastical life," Catholicos Karekin II, the supreme head of the Armenian Apostolic Church, said during the ceremony.

Armenian Church canonises 1.5 million genocide victims | Christian News on Christian Today (http://www.christiantoday.com/article/armenian.church.canonizes.genocide.victims/52732.htm)

http://d.christiantoday.com/en/full/28912/armenian-genocide.jpg?w=380&h=253&l=50&t=40

i'llseeyouinhell
07-05-2015, 03:30 PM
http://i.hizliresim.com/ZDGgQZ.png

Pahli
07-05-2015, 09:14 PM
http://i.hizliresim.com/ZDGgQZ.png

Ok, making jokes of 1.5 million Armenians, I'll be glad to do the same when you and your people die :)

i'llseeyouinhell
07-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Ok, making jokes of 1.5 million Armenians, I'll be glad to do the same when you and your people die :)

Dreams and dreams right you mesopotamian mouse same thing is coming for ya :D

themrdude1990
07-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Dreams and dreams right you mesopotamian mouse same thing is coming for ya :D

Speak english.

i'llseeyouinhell
07-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Speak english.

Okay :D shut the fuck up assyrian rat

aksakallicocuk
07-05-2015, 09:36 PM

dude.
Why so agressive?

themrdude1990
07-05-2015, 09:38 PM

Speak english, nobody uses "rat" as an insult, only 5 year olds

i'llseeyouinhell
07-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Speak english, nobody uses "rat" as an insult, only 5 year olds

If your ancestors were look like that your avatar rat is a perfect choice :thumb001: maybe it could be rodent too

ah yes i am 5 :picard1:

themrdude1990
07-05-2015, 09:49 PM
If your ancestors were look like that your avatar rat is a perfect choice :thumb001: maybe it could be rodent too

ah yes i am 5 :picard1:

remove were*
looked*
I don't want to argue with uneducated people who aren't in my level.

i'llseeyouinhell
07-05-2015, 09:58 PM
remove were*
looked*
I don't want to argue with uneducated people who aren't in my level.

oh sir i am so sorry :(

hahahahah your level ? you make me laughing bro for real :D

''uneducated'' oh yes i am uneducated just because of i am learning english

http://galeri8.uludagsozluk.com/482/survivor-all-star-i-izlemiyoruz-kampanyasi_736862.gif

themrdude1990
07-05-2015, 10:05 PM
oh sir i am so sorry :(

hahahahah your level ? you make me laughing bro for real :D

''uneducated'' oh yes i am uneducated just because of i am learning english

http://galeri8.uludagsozluk.com/482/survivor-all-star-i-izlemiyoruz-kampanyasi_736862.gif

I speak 5 languages you idiot.
and again
made*
laugh*
remove "of"

Profileid
07-05-2015, 10:07 PM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11257826_1611353179123429_4924455401911513781_n.jp g?oh=973ad8a321fe48f9161f78eb4226e799&oe=56264F95

i'llseeyouinhell
07-05-2015, 10:08 PM
I speak 5 languages you idiot.
and again
made*
laugh*
remove "of"

oww look that retarded very impresive for a desert rat :thumb001:

themrdude1990
07-05-2015, 10:13 PM
oww look that retarded very impresive for a desert rat :thumb001:

impressive*
lol I remember you, you sent me a picture of yourself and asked me to classify you, lol

i'llseeyouinhell
07-05-2015, 10:15 PM
impressive*
lol I remember you, you sent me a picture of yourself and asked me to classify you, lol

yes man omg you have a great memory :eek:

Pahli
07-05-2015, 11:11 PM
dude.
Why so agressive?

Don't worry, when Turkey one day falls, people like him will be put out of misery, and nice and intelligent people like you won't even get a scratch :D

J/K; I think you're one of the nicest Turks here so far, all the others are offensive retards.

Musso
07-06-2015, 12:55 PM

They will make fun of other innocent people dying , but then cry about when Turks die. This shows the level of humanity.

Pahli
07-06-2015, 01:30 PM
They will make fun of other innocent people dying , but then cry about when Turks die. This shows the level of humanity.

Don't worry, we will do the same when their time comes, and we will deport them to their homelands in Central Asia. There is nothing called humanity when it comes to Turks, they're just a bastardized race. I simply lost my human emotions for Turks, they've asked for it, I won't feel sorry if their people will get slaughtered.

Kamal900
07-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Its called double standards. They collectively punish on the people they despise(like grey wolves attacking Kurds, Armenians and etc), but when other peoples like Germans attack their kind in Germany(neo-Nazi attacks) then it's wrong for them.

StormBringer
07-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Well, it's a praiseworthy way for Armenian Church to honor their dead, that's all that matters.

Instinct
07-06-2015, 10:25 PM
I am deeply sorry for every innocent Armenian killed during Armenian Genocide.

Musso
07-06-2015, 11:00 PM

Alevis have traditionally been friendly with Armenians,,,there is also influences of Armenian Church Traditions on some Alevi religious practices :)

Pahli
07-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Alevis were also victims of persecution and murder. Though Alevis cannot be responsible for this, the Sunni Turks have a lot to answer for.

Armenian Bishop
11-17-2016, 11:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEMQ1ZatIzU

Pope Francis presided over a memorial service for the Armenian Genocide, on 12 April, 2015.
An Armenian Youth Choir was singing Armenian Liturgy Music, in the Vatican.

Dunai
11-17-2016, 12:17 PM
As a curiosity, I wonder if all these saints will receive their specific dates in the annual calendar, or the Armenian Church has a different approach to the institution of sainthood?

Kamal900
11-17-2016, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEMQ1ZatIzU

Pope Francis presided over a memorial service for the Armenian Genocide, on 12 April, 2015.
An Armenian Youth Choir was singing Armenian Liturgy Music, in the Vatican.

My condolences to all of the innocent Christian Armenians that were butchered by the Turks.

Armenian Bishop
11-17-2016, 09:24 PM
As a curiosity, I wonder if all these saints will receive their specific dates in the annual calendar, or the Armenian Church has a different approach to the institution of sainthood?

Yes, they are the "April Martyrs" and the 24th of April is their Day of Martyrdom. On April 24th, the Ottoman Empire rounded up of hundreds of Armenian clergymen and intellectuals, thus signaling that it was no longer a veiled genocide. In 2015, the Armenian Apostolic Church made its own statements for the canonization and martyrdom of those whom perished in the Armenian Genocide (in conjunction with the statements of Pope Francis).

http://www.armenianchurch-ed.net/wpblog/tag/canonization/

The canonization of the martyrs of the Armenian Genocide on April 23, 2015 in Holy Etchmiadzin will be an event of momentous proportions. Both Catholicoses of the Armenian Church will preside over the ceremonies with the participation of most of the world's Armenian bishops, tens of thousands of faithful and several heads of Sister Churches from throughout the world including the Pope of Rome.

The Armenian Church will canonize "the holy martyrs who gave their lives for the homeland during the Armenian Genocide." No specific names will be mentioned nor will a fixed number of martyrs be defined ... In the Century following the Genocide, scores of survivors stories have been published, many of which contain accounts of martyrdom. It is anticipated that in coming years these martyrs' acts will be collected and will be a source of inspiration to strengthen the faith of our people.

The canonization of the Genocide martyrs will take place on April 23, 2015 ... In the coming years April 24 will be dedicated to commemorating the holy martyrs of the Genocide. It is possible that the actual date for the Genocide martyrs will be adjusted, since in the ancient tradition of the Armenian Church saints may only be commemorated on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. In this way Sundays are always dedicated the the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and Wednesdays and Fridays are days of fasting, which is incompatible to celebrations.

On the annual day of the commemoration of the Genocide Martyrs the Armenian Church will henceforth pay tribute to the new saints as it does to any other saint of the church: by means of dedicated hymns, litanies and prayers that recall the saints and their example, honor them, and ask for their intercession.

Armenian Bishop
11-17-2016, 09:59 PM

Two Categories of Sainthood in the Armenian Church: (1) Celebrated Saints, included in the Liturgical Calendar. (2) Commemorated Saints, not included in the Liturgical Calendar.

The Celebrated Saints are remembered through the recitation of their names during the Divine Liturgy and Daily Services of the Church.

The Commemorated Saints are remembered by the Daily Reading of their lives, works or martyrdom, from the Hiysmavoork (Book of Martyrologies and Lives of the Saints).

And, there's an All Saints Day for all holy people, whether unknown and anonymous, or within the public eye.

As for the Armenian Genocide Martyrs, April 24th has been reserved, in the Church Liturgical Calendar, as an Annual Remembrance Day for Them.

http://www.armenianchurch.org/index.jsp%3Fsid%3D1%26id%3D30336%26pid%3D29930%26l ng%3Den

It should be noted, by the canonization of the Armenian Genocide Victims, that the Armenian Church doesn't indicate the specific number of 1.5 million victims, distinguish their spiritual deeds, nor give the names of the individuals, but proclaims the collective martyrdom of those who were killed for the sake of their faith and their homeland. The Church accepts the sacrifice of the martyrs collectively.

Armenian Bishop
11-17-2016, 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcX2COSpYpY

During his trip to Armenia, Pope Francis participated in Etchmiadzin Cathedral's Divine Liturgy.

Dunai
11-17-2016, 10:14 PM
Two Categories of Sainthood in the Armenian Church: (1) Celebrated Saints, included in the Liturgical Calendar. (2) Commemorated Saints, not included in the Liturgical Calendar.

The Celebrated Saints are remembered through the recitation of their names during the Divine Liturgy and Daily Services of the Church.

The Commemorated Saints are remembered by the Daily Reading of their lives, works or martyrdom, from the Hiysmavoork (Book of Martyrologies and Lives of the Saints).

And, there's an All Saints Day for all holy people, whether unknown and anonymous, or within the public eye.

As for the Armenian Genocide Martyrs, April 24th has been reserved, in the Church Liturgical Calendar, as an Annual Remembrance Day for Them.

http://www.armenianchurch.org/index.jsp%3Fsid%3D1%26id%3D30336%26pid%3D29930%26l ng%3Den

If I reckon correctly this system is very similar to Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox traditions. Being none-religious however I was always mystified about all the sanctification process, and what it takes for the various churches to elevate certain humans with many questionable past deeds onto a level, after which other humans will pray in their name, believing that thus they will benefit spiritually or on some other form. Not the case here if I'm not mistaking, since this is a collective sanctification, and I believe it's more of a patriotic honoring from behalf of the Armenian Church for their nation's martyrs.