PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Thread

Gooding
07-07-2015, 05:22 PM
I don't want to do a lot of typing because I don't know much about this subject matter, so I ask that everybody of any kind of Dutch descent, no matter how minute, pitch in and educate me and maybe some other interested parties about your cultural traits, similarities and differences. :) I ask this of people of South African Dutch and Americans of Dutch descent, as well as the Dutch, Frisian and Flemish people themselves. A good online friend of mine shared his Dutch origins with me and I said it should be as celebrated as those people of French Huguenot heritage celebrate their bloodlines, although their French Huguenot blood should go back two or three hundred years. So, tell me, how have the Dutch and Flemish been and how are they doing now?

Gooding
07-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Not to be too much of a Boer, but I'll bump it up!

CordedWhelp
07-09-2015, 03:37 AM
On eurogenes K13, my dad gets "South Dutch" in second place for the single population distances. Interesting how such a small country has both North and South reference populations. What are these main differences? Are Northerners more Frisian and/or Germanic, with southerners a tad more diluted?

Valmont
07-09-2015, 03:42 AM
I am not Dutch but I have a lot of Dutch friends and even dated a Dutch girl for a while. The only relevant thing I can bring to this thread is this very interesting video by CGP Grey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

Lots of very cool facts :)

Gooding
07-09-2015, 03:48 AM
On eurogenes K13, my dad gets "South Dutch" in second place for the single population distances. Interesting how such a small country has both North and South reference populations. What are these main differences? Are Northerners more Frisian and/or Germanic, with southerners a tad more diluted?

I'm not sure.. I know that the South Dutch and the Flemish are akin, but I don't think they're that different from the North Dutch.. why there's a genetic distinction between the two, I don't know.

Gooding
07-09-2015, 03:52 AM
I am not Dutch but I have a lot of Dutch friends and even dated a Dutch girl for a while. The only relevant thing I can bring to this thread is this very interesting video by CGP Grey.

Yes, indeed! Thank you so much for sharing this! :)

Valmont
07-09-2015, 04:01 AM
Yes, indeed! Thank you so much for sharing this! :)

You are very welcome :) and just a few tips if you ever go to the Netherlands (and I think you should if you can save some money for a European trip):

Get off the cycle lanes (for your own safety and as a sign of integration), always be on time, don't expect Dutch people to be too polite (they love to complain, that's why we, the French, get along with them) don't mention weed or prostitutes (but I'm sure you wouldn't), and do NOT compare them to Germans :)

Dutch people are amongst my favorite people in Europe. It takes a little while to befriend them (they might seem cold or distant at first) but once you've gained their trust you'll make friends for life. :) They are very cultured people (you can talk about anything with them) extremely open minded with an excellent sense of humor!

Plus their country is absolutely gorgeous!

Gooding
07-09-2015, 04:08 AM
You are very welcome :) and just a few tips if you ever go to the Netherlands (and I think you should if you can save some money for a European trip):

Get off the cycle lanes (for your own safety and as a sign of integration), always be on time, don't expect Dutch people to be too polite (they love to complain, that's why we, the French, get along with them) don't mention weed or prostitutes (but I'm sure you wouldn't), and do NOT compare them to Germans :)

Dutch people are amongst my favorite people in Europe. It takes a little while to befriend them (they might seem cold or distant at first) but once you've gained their trust you'll make friends for life. :) They are very cultured people (you can talk about anything with them) extremely open minded with an excellent sense of humor!

Plus their country is absolutely gorgeous!

That sounds fantastic! No, I'd no more compare the Dutch to the Germans than I would the English :hiding:. The history between those countries is still a little too raw ( I think) for me to go on some sort of " pan- Germanic Crusade." I would, of course, love to see their country. :thumb001:

Smitty
07-09-2015, 04:26 AM
Big fan of the Netherlands here, though I have no known Dutch ancestry myself. Good thread, Gooding.

Lawalye
07-09-2015, 01:43 PM
South dutch and flemish are mainly batavian, which are germanised gaul, hollander or north dutch are mainly salian. The separation is the meuse and the rhine.

Gooding
07-09-2015, 02:36 PM
South dutch and flemish are mainly batavian, which are germanised gaul, hollander or north dutch are mainly salian. The separation is the meuse and the rhine.

Oh, okay, that will be the difference between the two, then. Thank you, Lawalye! :)

Dandelion
07-09-2015, 02:42 PM

It's the other way around. Batavians are the Northern, more purer Germanic ones. While Southern Dutch and Flemish are Salian Franks (Rhinian Franks for the Limburgers) who have underwent some Celtic admixture (Gallo-Roman to be precise).
And Northern French and Walloons are Gallo-Romans with Frankish admixture, simply put.

King Claus
07-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Dutch people like to shove certain things in your face.

Dandelion
07-09-2015, 02:51 PM

waffelen (or zwaffelen) is a Dutch term meaning to hit one's penis—often repeatedly—against an object or another person's body. Swaffelen was named as the word of the year in the Netherlands in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swaffelen

King Claus
07-09-2015, 02:52 PM

don't be disgusting. Lol

Gooding
07-09-2015, 02:53 PM

That's interesting. I think I've met one Dutch girl and one Belgian man in my life and they were both fairly easygoing. Sure, they were honest and gave you their opinion if you asked them, but they didn't seem to be confrontational at all. Their easygoing example has been very inspiring to me, to be honest.

Gooding
07-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Oh, holy shit, never mind! :laugh:

Dandelion
07-09-2015, 02:54 PM
don't be disgusting. Lol

It's a Dutch word unknown in English which is part of our slang. A Dutch or Flemish person will understand what it means. :) I think it deserves mention, especially given your almost spot-on reference to the term.

King Claus
07-09-2015, 02:57 PM
That's interesting. I think I've met one Dutch girl and one Belgian man in my life and they were both fairly easygoing. Sure, they were honest and gave you their opinion if you asked them, but they didn't seem to be confrontational at all. Their easygoing example has been very inspiring to me, to be honest.

Usually dutch people don't take others seriously if they are easy going with them.

Lawalye
07-09-2015, 03:23 PM
It's the other way around. Batavians are the Northern, more purer Germanic ones. While Southern Dutch and Flemish are Salian Franks (Rhinian Franks for the Limburgers) who have underwent some Celtic admixture (Gallo-Roman to be precise).
And Northern French and Walloons are Gallo-Romans with Frankish admixture, simply put.

It's a dutch myth that say that the batavians are their ancestors, it is a little bit but only in part, the fact is that some germanic invaders from NW germany who will become the salian franks went in Netherlands and pushed the batavians to the south.

The batavians were seen as a germanic tribes by the romans (Chatti tribes) but many archeologists considered them as gauls (highly mixed whith germanic tribes) like the other belgae.

It is true that It remains very fuzzy and there are actually no certainties, I am reading a document in French which groups all the antique quotations on the Batavian.

Gooding
07-09-2015, 03:41 PM
So, through the Flemish and South Dutch, the Gauls do still exist. That's interesting.. I thought they were all wiped out by the Romans and the Germanic invaders, much like I once thought that the Celts of England were all wiped out by the Anglo- Saxon invasions. It seems some of the ancient types in Europe during Roman times weren't all exterminated by subsequent invaders.

Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik
07-09-2015, 03:42 PM
So, through the Flemish and South Dutch, the Gauls do still exist. That's interesting.. I thought they were all wiped out by the Romans and the Germanic invaders, much like I once thought that the Celts of England were all wiped out by the Anglo- Saxon invasions. It seems some of the ancient types in Europe during Roman times weren't all exterminated by subsequent invaders.

Of course not

most English have a lot of Celtic blood, and most French are Gauls

EdAlencar
07-09-2015, 03:47 PM

Thanks for sharing the video, it was VERY confusing and interesting.

The only thing missing is that Brazil was also "new holland" and it wasn't mentioned, it would add a little more confusion, I happen to be one of their descents.

By the way, there were also two "New Amsterdam" that I know of: New York and Natal,RN, Brazil (before New York).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazil

Gooding
07-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Of course not

most English have a lot of Celtic blood, and most French are Gauls

It would have been nice if they taught that in History class when I was going to school.

Lawalye
07-09-2015, 04:18 PM
It would have been nice if they taught that in History class when I was going to school.

Of course, all (real) frenchmans are gauls, when we learn about roman or germanic invasion, it's only politic and cultural, the nature of the people remained the same.

There was 20 millions of gauls during roman conquest and 22 millions when the franks invaded gauls.

Hevo
07-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Generally speaking, Netherlandic people are basically a mixture of Frisians, Franks and Saxons in different proportions because a person from North-Brabant would have more Frankish-like ancestors than someone from the region North-Holland.

Saxons

http://www.psammos.nl/Image/Saksen.png

Frisians

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Frisians.png

Tchek
07-09-2015, 06:35 PM
BTW there was an interesting burial site found not long ago, around Maastricht, of the Merovingian era, of people belonging to haplogroup J2... it's interesting that such exotic haplogroups were found in southern Netherland right around the fall of the Roman empire. I wonder how common are those haplogroups (J2) in the low countries.

Hevo
07-09-2015, 06:54 PM
BTW there was an interesting burial site found not long ago, around Maastricht, of the Merovingian era, of people belonging to haplogroup J2... it's interesting that such exotic haplogroups were found in southern Netherland right around the fall of the Roman empire. I wonder how common are those haplogroups (J2) in the low countries.

There is a relative hotspot of J2 in Eastern North Brabant around Cuijk but it's not certain if they are truly descendants of Roman soldiers. J2 is around 1-5% in The Netherlands. J2 could have been brought in the Bronze age or/and even in late Neolithic period.