PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan's China-friendly KMT mimics Chiang Kai-shek's fall from pedestal

Goujian
07-10-2015, 03:08 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/taiwans-china-friendly-kmt-mimics-chiang-kai-sheks-210804707--business.html

TAOYUAN, Taiwan (Reuters) - Dumped outside Chiang Kai-shek's mausoleum in Taiwan are nearly 200 unwanted statues of the Nationalist Party hero, a suggestion of the punishment his party faces in January elections for pushing the self-ruled island too close to political foe China.

Cast in bronze and in different shades of red, brown, gray and blue, the generalissimo is saluting, holding a book, leaning on a cane, sitting regally or perched on a plinth - a peaceful if surreal gathering that belies the disarray of the party it represents.

Some statues still standing elsewhere around the island have been decapitated or defaced.

The Nationalist Party, or Kuomintang (KMT) in Chinese, is expected to be dealt a thrashing in the presidential poll by the pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), a result likely to irritate giant neighbor China which claims the island as its own, though no one expects close economic ties to unravel.

"The KMT is in freezing winter. It will get worse before it gets better," said a party member, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The party has been in crisis mode since November when it lost power in local elections. The defeat paved the way for Hung Hsiu-chu to step up as its only prospective presidential candidate. But her stated intention of signing a peace treaty with China and appearing to move closer to Beijing's position of "one China", including Taiwan, has rubbed a lot of party cadres the wrong way.

In short, KMT supporters are bailing out. Campaign jockeying and factional infighting are pushing members away from a party that numbered well over a million in 2000 but is now down to about 890,000, with only about a third of them active.

Mainstream public opinion on the island is in favor of maintaining the status quo with China, which is a key campaign message from DPP presidential hopeful Tsai Ing-wen. Economic ties, while seen as imbalanced in favor of China, won't be rolled back however distant the prospect of political talks.

Beijing, for instance, insists Taiwan can be ruled under the "one country, two systems" formula under which Hong Kong, a former British colony, returned to Chinese rule in 1997. Both the DPP and KMT reject this model, which prompted unprecedented pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong last year, blocking streets for months.

SLOWING GROWTH, STAGNANT WAGES

Chiang remains a hero for some in Taiwan, and even in China he is looked upon with increasing favor in certain quarters, despite his forced flight to Taiwan in 1949 with the remains of his Republic of China government after the Communists won the Chinese civil war.

Chiang died in 1975. China continues to claim Taiwan as its territory, and has never renounced the use of force to bring the now proudly democratic island under its control.

Late last month, legislator Chang Sho-wen publicly quit the KMT. Another member, Hsu Hsin-ying, left the party after last year's local election loss which forced President Ma Ying-jeou to resign as party chief.

The election result was seen as a vote against Ma's China-friendly policies. Democratically minded young and middle-class Taiwanese, unhappy with slowing economic growth and stagnant wages, remain suspicious of China's intentions and see only big business prospering from closer ties.

"The history of the KMT, of Chiang, has been diluted," said Hsu Wen-long, 50, whose father, a KMT soldier, fled to Taiwan with the generalissimo. When Hsu was young, children were taught it was a fight for survival between the KMT and the Communists. That is not the case with the younger generation.

"What you learn in your early years stays with you for a lifetime," Hsu said.

The hundreds of twenty-somethings who occupied parliament last year to stop a trade pact that would bring the island even closer to China were at primary school under the last DPP rule.

But some Nationalists argue that stronger ties with China will help prevent Beijing from taking control any way it wants.

"If the KMT should become weak or split up, there will be no checks and balances against the DPP," said Nationalist Justin Chen. "If in Taiwan society there doesn't exist a voice of unification, then China's Communist Party will reach its hand directly into this island. That is a different stage of confrontation."

As for those busts and statues, the DPP's Chen Shui-bian ordered them to be taken down from public display and sent to the wooded, lakeside park in Taoyuan when he was president between 2000 and 2008.

As late as last year, they were still being delivered.

Taiwan is just a ridiculous place infected with self hating imbeciles. If Taiwan would only realize that it is part of China and work on a negotiated disposition for reunification, Taiwan's best days would be ahead of it. The Taiwanese have no sense of self-respect as they worship everything that's Japanese, western or anything that's foreign. Their women are complete bitches and foreign worshippers and their men are coddled emasculated mama's boys. Almost like a greater Singapore/Hong Kong. Taiwanese complain about almost everything about the Chinese yet they still wonder WHY they're in a piss-poor state? Even with a worse birth rate than that of Japan or South Korea?

Instead these backwards people would rather castigate their president for making trade deals with the mainland chanting that they would rather die than link up with the Chinese mothership. Fate may just grant them that wish. The wish of Taiwan truly becoming the sick man of Asia. They should have never brought 'democracy' to Taiwan. Had Taiwan been under military rule, this would never have happened.

What a bunch of retards.

zhaoyun
07-10-2015, 03:32 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/taiwans-china-friendly-kmt-mimics-chiang-kai-sheks-210804707--business.html

Taiwan is just a ridiculous place infected with self hating imbeciles. If Taiwan would only realize that it is part of China and work on a negotiated disposition for reunification, Taiwan's best days would be ahead of it. The Taiwanese have no sense of self-respect as they worship everything that's Japanese, western or anything that's foreign. Their women are complete bitches and foreign worshippers and their men are coddled emasculated mama's boys. Almost like a greater Singapore/Hong Kong. Taiwanese complain about almost everything about the Chinese yet they still wonder WHY they're in a piss-poor state? Even with a worse birth rate than that of Japan or South Korea?

Instead these backwards people would rather castigate their president for making trade deals with the mainland chanting that they would rather die than link up with the Chinese mothership. Fate may just grant them that wish. The wish of Taiwan truly becoming the sick man of Asia. They should have never brought 'democracy' to Taiwan. Had Taiwan been under military rule, this would never have happened.

What a bunch of retards.

Not to mention Taiwanese guys act like a bunch of pussies into anime, cosplay and all that gay shit. I can't stand being around them for too long, they make me sick, I just want to smash their disgusting faces in for acting like a bunch of girls.

zhaoyun
07-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Taiwanese guys are a bunch of Japanese ass kissers who are becoming more and more degenerate all the time into effeminate lifestyles and being overly sensitive as "men", (they are even bigger pussies than most Japanese guys are). They'll eventually start to suffer the same strange social problems that Japan has.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-07/hikikomori-japanese-men-locking-themselves-in-their-bedrooms/6601656

If Taiwan declares independence, China should just blow up that fucking island just for being a bunch of degenerate effeminate pussies.

zhaoyun
07-10-2015, 04:01 PM
I feel the same way about Hong Kong and Singapore. FUCK EM.

de Burgh II
07-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Taiwanese guys are a bunch of Japanese ass kissers who are becoming more and more degenerate all the time into effeminate lifestyles and being overly sensitive as "men", (they are even bigger pussies than most Japanese guys are). They'll eventually start to suffer the same strange social problems that Japan has.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-07/hikikomori-japanese-men-locking-themselves-in-their-bedrooms/6601656

If Taiwan declares independence, China should just blow up that fucking island just for being a bunch of degenerate effeminate pussies.

So do you mean something along these lines? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsikPswAYUM

zhaoyun
07-10-2015, 04:12 PM
So do you mean something along these lines? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsikPswAYUM

:picard1::picard1::picard1:

I need to start a pogrom and cleanse our race of these inferior degenerates.

Goujian
07-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Not to mention Taiwanese guys act like a bunch of pussies into anime, cosplay and all that gay shit. I can't stand being around them for too long, they make me sick, I just want to smash their disgusting faces in for acting like a bunch of girls.

Singaporean males aren't so different than them. Especially when it comes to them worshipping everything Japanese (and Korean in the case of the Malaysians/HKers/Singaporeans). Taiwanese have an irrational hatred and false rivalry with South Korea which goes back decades. If you were to ask me, it's an inferiority complex. I happen to see Japanese-related shit everywhere in Taiwan, i mean fucking everywhere. I hypothesize that almost every Taiwanese male wants a 'kawaii japanese waifu' when they can only bring home a mail-order bride from Southeast Asia. While their women hook up with any foreigner, even middle easterners and africans. Since their males are into faggotry so much they can serve as ladyboys for sex tourists.

The best and brightest leave the country for greener pastures. What you have left isn't much. Meanwhile there's a subculture of pre 49'ers vs post 49'ers to battle for who is more Taiwanese. Plus this shithole known as Taiwan is an ungrateful place. It's a shame, Taiwan used to be economically powerful now it's turning into another backwater not unlike the Philippines.

Goujian
07-11-2015, 08:56 PM
:picard1::picard1::picard1:

I need to start a pogrom and cleanse our race of these inferior degenerates.

It's OWD.

Whenever you combine westernization and China or any other east Asian for the matter it turns into OWD. The major symptoms of OWD include degeneracy, lower fertility rate, outmarriage to foreign men, bitchy local women, males act like pussies, etc.

Which is why OWD will cause the collapse of East Asian countries. Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singawhore are suffering from the effects of OWD the most. Japan and South Korea have partially internalized their OWD and are in a slow decline.

How do you get girls in Taiwan? It's easy, be foreign (not just white, Taiwanese loves MENAs who pretend to be white), talk shit about China and say how much Taiwan deserves independence and shit especially in southern Taiwan.

If you're a single young Asian guy traveling and you say you're Korean in SE Asia, girls go crazy. They seriously love Korean stuff because they too have OWD, just the Korean/Japanese version of it.

Dandelion
07-18-2015, 06:27 AM
This forum needs more active non-Mainland Chinese. Lots of dramas guaranteed. Up until now my gut feeling thinks that 50% of the hate is just typical Mainland disgruntlement, because the videos of rude and backward Mainlanders are not made up.

Goujian
07-18-2015, 10:41 PM
This forum needs more active non-Mainland Chinese. Lots of dramas guaranteed. Up until now my gut feeling thinks that 50% of the hate is just typical Mainland disgruntlement, because the videos of rude and backward Mainlanders are not made up.

There's plenty of them on Facebook. I can tell that you've never been to Asia, doesn't mean whatever I said was irrelevant. There are also plenty of non-Mainland Chinese who agree with our assessments. Also a lot of those 'rude mainlanders' are usually poor, not upper-middle class, rural or otherwise from inland China.

Dandelion
07-18-2015, 10:44 PM
There's plenty of them on Facebook. I can tell that you've never been to Asia, doesn't mean whatever I said was irrelevant. There are also plenty of non-Mainland Chinese who agree with our assessments. Also a lot of those 'rude mainlanders' are usually poor, rural or otherwise from inland China.

I haven't been to East Asia indeed. However, if I had, I wouldn't be all-knowing neither obviously. However, gut feeling (as I myself called it) is there where it's due. And my point still stands, more active non-Mainland Chinese here would definitely benefit this forum.

zhaoyun
07-18-2015, 10:47 PM

Naaaaaah, everything here is the bona fide god honest truth bro.

Seriously though, everyone knows Taiwanese guys are pussies. Look at these two videos featuring stereotypes, the Taiwanese guy's always made out to be gay. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HENoGStC6As

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYMbINLwRoI

Dandelion
07-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Imagine if a person like Amos Yee or Joshua Wong would join this forum. They would most definitely receive flak from you two (especially if they're of conceited type). That would indirectly benefit the forum in its reading value due to the drama it would generate.

Goujian
07-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I haven't been to East Asia indeed. However, if I had, I wouldn't be all-knowing neither obviously. However, gut feeling (as I myself called it) is there where it's due. And my point still stands, more active non-Mainland Chinese here would definitely benefit this forum.
You're not wrong, but the thing about them is that they aren't whom they portray themselves as some kind of bastion of Chinese culture or something holier than thou. Many but not all of them I should say. That said, not everyone is sinless or perfect.

Dandelion
07-18-2015, 10:54 PM
You're not wrong, but the thing about them is that they aren't whom they portray themselves as some kind of bastion of Chinese culture or something holier than thou. Many but not all of them I should say. That said, not everyone is sinless or perfect.

You get me. I wasn't picking sides here.

By the way, I have known a HK guy (former fellow student). Very small in posture and quite effeminate who could easily get mistaken for gay (even though he's straight). I'm cool with him though. He neither seems to look down on Mainlanders (told me about his visits there, which were always positive). But he had to be yet another 'effeminate guy'. :p

zhaoyun
07-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Imagine if a person like Amos Yee or Joshua Wong would join this forum. They would most definitely receive flak from you two (especially if they're of conceited type). That would indirectly benefit the forum in its reading value due to the drama it would generate.

Damn right. Amos Yee needs to get his ass kicked. I don't even know who this Joshua Wong faggot is, and I'm afraid to look him up cuz it'd probably get my blood pressure rising.

zhaoyun
07-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Oh god man, I just looked up Joshua Wong. He deserves to get his ass kicked more than Amos Yee. Fuck em!

Dandelion
07-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Oh god man, I just looked up Joshua Wong. He deserves to get his ass kicked more than Amos Yee. Fuck em!

I know him via Goujian here lol. :p

Goujian
07-18-2015, 11:12 PM
http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/122421129016/its-hard-to-talk-to-girls-i-try-not-to-look-at
“It’s hard to talk to girls. I try not to look at them as girls, and just look at them as people, but it’s hard. Because they look like girls.”
http://41.media.tumblr.com/9f760ef30ac6bb50e3ca12509c7e87ff/tumblr_nqi7q2UuAz1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg
Guess where he's from

Dandelion
07-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Living in Mainland China can be great as well, especially in the cities. I personally know I don't need much luxury, as long as I'm well-fed and have a roof over my head and have some leisure time (at least one day a week off), I am potentially happy especially with the prospect of economic growth.

zhaoyun
07-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Taiwanese might be pussies dunno but their living standards seem to be way higher than the average mainland chinese. Why would they want to ruin that? Hopefully, I'll visit next year.

It's not much higher than many of the coastal Mainland Chinese cities. Plus, all the future growth is on the Mainland, not in Taiwan.

Dandelion
07-19-2015, 12:02 AM
I'd miss facebook tho.

Remember, they have their equivalent, called Renren. Also, nowadays the majority of the Chinese population uses the internet and mostly through smartphone.

Here is a South African guy living in Shenzhen talking about Chinese social networking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSjlLxorLw

(he has a VPN of course, hence he gets to upload to YT)

Goujian
07-19-2015, 02:58 AM
It's not much higher than many of the coastal Mainland Chinese cities. Plus, all the future growth is on the Mainland, not in Taiwan.

Taiwan is turning into another Philippines except with even worse fertility rate than both Japan and South Korea. But if it weren't for Chinese intervention, it would have ended up like that anyway.

Mortimer
07-19-2015, 03:02 AM
China strong, forever! fuck all haters

Arcadefire
07-19-2015, 03:20 AM
From the little I know, Taiwanese and HKers are afraid of Cantonese culture and language being wiped out and replaced by Mandarin. Most of the Chinese-Canadians are Cantonese and they are my source of info. They say that the beef is with the Government and not the people themselves. The mainlanders however are "led to believe other wise .

I dont think Taiwan will end up like Philippines lol ( with all due respect). They have the microchip manufacturing industry is pretty much on lock. It will take a while for any one in Asia (not including Japan and Korea) to catchup. Here are some household Taiwanese brands:

Acer Inc.
ADATA
American Megatrends
ASUS
D-link
Realtek
XGI Technologyhat
NVIDIA
in...so I can go on n on . Point I was trying to make was that they have a pretty self sufficient economy. You kind of cant blame them for holding reservations about kissing and making up with mainland china ...esp because whats happened in HK.

Mortimer
07-19-2015, 03:28 AM
From the little I know, Taiwanese and HKers are afraid of Cantonese culture and language being wiped out and replaced by Mandarin. Most of the Chinese-Canadians are Cantonese and they are my source of info. They say that the beef is with the Government and not the people themselves. The mainlanders however are "led to believe other wise .

I dont think Taiwan will end up like Philippines lol ( with all due respect). They have the microchip manufacturing industry is pretty much on lock. It will take a while for any one in Asia (not including Japan and Korea) to catchup. Here are some household Taiwanese brands:

Acer Inc.
ADATA
American Megatrends
ASUS
D-link
Realtek
XGI Technologyhat
NVIDIA
in...so I can go on n on . Point I was trying to make was that they have a pretty self sufficient economy. You kind of cant blame them for holding reservations about kissing and making up with mainland china ...esp because whats happened in HK.
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?177577-Why-the-rivalry-between-china-and-india&p=3700461#post3700461

Goujian
07-19-2015, 03:44 AM

Acer Inc.
ADATA
American Megatrends
ASUS
D-link
Realtek
XGI Technologyhat
NVIDIA

Most Taiwanese are not Cantonese. Most are Hokkien, some are Hakka the others are mainlanders or aborigines. And most Taiwanese aborigines hate the Taiwanese Hokkien population with such vitriol which is why they tend to vote for the KMT or some other pro-Chinese party. Again, I know more about Taiwan because I have actually been there and it sucks compared to China.

Pretty sure Taiwan is a lost cause especially since the younger generation is more pro-western (and just pro-everything foreign in general) and anti-China than ever. The biggest kicker is that Taiwan's fertility rate is among the lowest in the world (1.11 or something) so the proportion of young Taiwanese women who date and hook up with foreign men is only going to get higher and higher. Just like in Singapore and Malaysia, where many of the ethnic Chinese women avoid their own men in favor of white, Malay and Indian men.

Taiwan's best and brightest routinely leave the island for greener pastures never to return. Meanwhile there's a subculture of pre 49'ers vs post 49'ers to battle for who is more "Taiwanese."

Plus this shithole known as Taiwan is again an ungrateful place. Taiwan owes a great debt of gratitude to the 49'ers who sent it into the 21st century and put Taiwan on the map. Without them, Taiwan would still be a backwater shithole place like the Philippines. Maybe Philippines is pushing it, but Thailand or Vietnam is more like it except with strong colonial mentality.

NVIDIA is American and founded in America. That's like saying ATI is a Hong Kong company even though it was founded in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHT_wCClXSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b218UQ341pc

zhaoyun
07-19-2015, 08:18 PM

Acer Inc.
ADATA
American Megatrends
ASUS
D-link
Realtek
XGI Technologyhat
NVIDIA

I agree that Taiwan would not be like the Philippines, also I can understand why Taiwan doesn't want to be a part of the PRC, at least until the PRC reaches a higher level of socio-economic development.

However, it doesn't change the fact that Taiwan's full of a bunch of pathetic pussies and I reserve the right to hate on them for it. Same goes for HK. Fuck em.

Goujian
07-20-2015, 02:24 AM
I agree that Taiwan would not be like the Philippines, also I can understand why Taiwan doesn't want to be a part of the PRC, at least until the PRC reaches a higher level of socio-economic development.

However, it doesn't change the fact that Taiwan's full of a bunch of pathetic pussies and I reserve the right to hate on them for it. Same goes for HK. Fuck em.

i wouldn't say 100% like the Philippines but a Taiwanese acquaintance of mine was fed up with the country and told me it felt like how he went to the Philippines. I think Taiwan is going to be as anti-China as long as China still exists. Not even higher socioeconomics would help repair relations. I don't give a fuck, just sink the damn island into the ocean and nobody would give a shit. Same for HK, the protests fucked up Hong Kong quite a bit and their economy isn't as robust as it seems.

Growing up I was surrounded by HKers and Taiwanese, as they made up the vast majority and there were very few people from other parts of China. Combined with being very low inhibition and I was kind of a fighter when I was younger, I viewed myself as being superior to them. They started fights by provoking me and got their asses handed to them but I ended up getting blamed for everything. Then my culturally-induced high inhibition kicked in and it literally screwed me up. As a result, I do feel some level of enmity towards people from the deep south of China or have heritage from there (like Chinese Singaporeans).

zhaoyun
07-20-2015, 03:19 PM
i wouldn't say 100% like the Philippines but a Taiwanese acquaintance of mine was fed up with the country and told me it felt like how he went to the Philippines. I think Taiwan is going to be as anti-China as long as China still exists. Not even higher socioeconomics would help repair relations. I don't give a fuck, just sink the damn island into the ocean and nobody would give a shit. Same for HK, the protests fucked up Hong Kong quite a bit and their economy isn't as robust as it seems.

Growing up I was surrounded by HKers and Taiwanese, as they made up the vast majority and there were very few people from other parts of China. Combined with being very low inhibition and I was kind of a fighter when I was younger, I viewed myself as being superior to them. They started fights by provoking me and got their asses handed to them but I ended up getting blamed for everything. Then my culturally-induced high inhibition kicked in and it literally screwed me up. As a result, I do feel some level of enmity towards people from the deep south of China or have heritage from there (like Chinese Singaporeans).

I used to get into arguments as a kid with HKers and Taiwanese too when they'd talk a lot of shit about Mainland China, and acted like they were too good to be associated with China. But it never led to actual fights, cuz they knew I'd kick their ass. They'd also start to become visibly afraid cuz they wouldn't expect the visceral anger and hatred coming from me.

Lurker
07-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Such hatred. In my school I didn't sense that much bad vibe between Taiwanese Brazilians and Chinese Brazilians. Or Korean Brazilians for that matter. People all seemed to get along. And they all hated wasting their Saturday mornings with their parent's language classes (Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, etc). Later I think everyone learned the languages or took classes voluntarily, but as teens there was much hatred for those classes (which seemed boring, while others would be having fun).

Goujian
07-22-2015, 05:39 PM
I used to get into arguments as a kid with HKers and Taiwanese too when they'd talk a lot of shit about Mainland China, and acted like they were too good to be associated with China. But it never led to actual fights, cuz they knew I'd kick their ass. They'd also start to become visibly afraid cuz they wouldn't expect the visceral anger and hatred coming from me.

Such hatred. In my school I didn't sense that much bad vibe between Taiwanese Brazilians and Chinese Brazilians. Or Korean Brazilians for that matter. People all seemed to get along. And they all hated wasting their Saturday mornings with their parent's language classes (Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, etc). Later I think everyone learned the languages or took classes voluntarily, but as teens there was much hatred for those classes (which seemed boring, while others would be having fun).

Depends. People in Taiwan hate each others' guts. Especially between Mainlanders (along w/ Taiwanese Aborigines) and the native Taiwanese majority. Taiwanese Aborigines are very skeptical about the native Taiwanese attempts at nativization and think they're doing it for political gain. Which is why they side with the Mainlanders.

I don't have much problems with Americans of Koreans and Japanese ancestry. I've dated them before and the major differences are just cultural and linguistic. Some of them are shocked because oddly enough we eat many of the similar things as Japanese and Koreans do just with a different, wholly Chinese twist on them. As an example, Koreans are literally surprised when I say I'm not Korean because I just seem that way to them. While at the same time other Chinese like the Cantonese think we're some other Asian ethnic group while we insist we're Chinese and speak Chinese.

Most Chinese Brazilians are from the deep south of China. Cantonese are just culturally different than much of China. There were even clan wars in the deep south of China and to some extent there is still some animosity between Chinese. Speaking from my point of view, we are much closer to Northern China and the rest of East Asia in terms of culture and phenotype even if we want to distance ourselves from it.

But I think today, most Chinese wouldn't care about the differences now it's mostly people from overseas (incl. HK and Taiwan) vs people from the Mainland in terms of political, socio-ethnic differences.

I'm planning on visiting Korea and Japan in the future and learning Korean and Japanese. Maybe I'll get used to either one of these societies and settle down and move over there if I get a job. Last time I went to Taiwan, I felt reminded about how someone told me about the Philippines in terms of English-speaking status and how English-speaking foreigners are held in high regard. I mean if Taiwan is ever as anti-China as ever, then I'll move onto better pastures. Taiwan has shittier food than China. Din Tai Fung is overrated and too much of a high cost compared to the real Xiaolongmantou restaurants over in Shanghai and Zhejiang/Jiangsu. (Cultural tip: People over in north Zhejiang/south Jiangsu make no distinction between steamed unfilled buns and steamed filled buns. They call them both 'mantou'. 'Bao' as in filled bun is a recent 'northernism' so to speak.)