PDA

View Full Version : How many Jews are there?

Dragoon
07-12-2015, 12:35 AM
According to Wikipedia:

"The Core Jewish population is: ~14,200,000 (defined as: all persons who, when asked in a socio-demographic survey, identify themselves as Jews; or who are identified as Jews by a respondent in the same household, and do not have another monotheistic religion.)

The Enlarged Jewish population is: ~18,437,400 (defined as: "core Jews" plus those of Jewish parentage who may have adopted another religion or opted out of Judaism along with household members such as spouses and children who are not otherwise included.)

The Ethnic Jewish (not sure what to call it) population is: ~22,900,000 (defined as: the total number of people who hold or are eligible for Israeli citizenship under the Law of Return — defined as anyone with at least one Jewish grandparent, and who does not actively profess any other religion).

No reliable figures exist for the number of crypto-Jews."

With DNA testing now becoming more available people can check what their ancestry is. You can also find if you have some Jewish ancestry.

So my question is this:
What is the population of people with at least 1% Jewish ancestry?

I'm looking for guess/estimates and maybe someone with Jewish ancestry can answer too.

Dragoon
07-13-2015, 05:40 PM
No posts. Must be slower days.

I would guess around 40-50 million.

RandomlyRenounced
07-13-2015, 05:55 PM
~ 21 Million.

About 8 million in the Middle East, about 6 Million in Europe, and about 7 million in the US.