When you see this ending to a reply:

/some_faggy_comment

nisse
07-30-2010, 07:22 PM
hip and happening
hole in the wall
up-and-coming
cruelty free
vegan (esp. when it's on random stuff like pens...wtf?)

Tolleson
07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
.....My bad

Drives me fucking nuts, too. Would like to grab the nearest kid and shake them to within an inch of their life while yelling "Speak English , you little shit!"

Completely blame this on Jim Rome. :cussing

Bloodeagle
07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
When you see this ending to a reply:

/some_faggy_comment

I prefer: TLDR

I dislike most of the lexicon found within ebonics!

word!
got your back!
Etc.....

I also hate it when people try and sound cool by calling you their dog!:)

Liffrea
07-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Just about anything that’s ghetto slang or Americanism.

Basically
You get me (I never touched you)
Know what I mean (yes I speak English to ass hole)
At the end of the day (today? tomorrow?)
In it
Kinda like
We’ve got (insert word/object here) going on
Was up (the sky?)
Blud (do I look like a negro to you?)
I know where yer coming from (why you stalking me?)
Hommie/Home Boy
Rude boy (well I am but not with you chav scum)
I is (you are, Ali G is dead)

anonymaus
07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
The misuse of "ironic" is somewhat bothersome; in most cases it would suffice to express your amusement with a smile or a laugh or by saying "how amusing".

Peasant
07-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Nazi used in the wrong context in a politics arguement.

RoyBatty
07-30-2010, 08:15 PM
"Best-Of-Breed" makes me wanna.......

Germanicus
07-30-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm lovin it.
I'm buzzing.
I'm up for it.
Do you not like that.
Can you believe it, i don't believe it.

Lithium
07-30-2010, 08:31 PM
All SE Europeans are wogs

Äike
07-30-2010, 08:34 PM
All SE Europeans are wogs

That's a sentence.

Liffrea
07-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Keith Chegwin.

Lithium
07-30-2010, 09:03 PM
That's a sentence.

and why you decided to correct exactly me?

Äike
07-30-2010, 09:05 PM
and why you decided to correct excactly me?

Some other members were posting figure of speeches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech), but you clearly posted a sentence.

Lithium
07-30-2010, 09:07 PM
ookay, it is my mistake, I have to apologise! :O

Graham
07-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Innit,
Oh My God
work
ignoramus
All cockney slang

blan
07-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Panties, moist, twat and "bling-bling" :p

moist panties with a bling bling twat

Osweo
07-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Some other members were posting figure of speeches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech), but you clearly posted a sentence.

Figures of speech_ ... ;)

Äike
07-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Figures of speech_ ... ;)

Thanks for the correction, my fellow Grammar Nazi. \o

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/035/052/original/266485575-GrammarNazi.jpg?1263208212

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x103/FBH_Chewbrocoli/Jing%20and%20GIFs/grammar-nazi.jpg

nisse
07-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh dear, Osweo...he called you a Nazi :mad: :D

Osweo
07-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Oh dear, Osweo...he called you a Nazi :mad: :D

:suomut:

http://a.imageshack.us/img834/7088/unda.jpg (http://img834.imageshack.us/i/unda.jpg/)

Pallantides
07-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Bakst

Julebakst
Hjemmebakst

urgghhhh!

Grumpy Cat
07-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I can't think of anything in English off the top of my head, but I can think of one thing in French

- à propos de

Yes, it is correct grammar, but not entirely necessary. And Anglos who speak French as a second language say this all the time. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for Anglos who take the time to learn French but this little thing just grinds my gears!

On parle de quelque chose

not

On parle à propos de quelque chose

As for English, I think George Carlin said it best:

DagVklB4VHQ

UjKciefHo38

Stygian Cellarius
07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Fabulous

Aemma
07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
moist panties with a bling bling twat

Now all RoyBatty has to do is start a new thread: "Make a sentence with the words others can't stand" :D

"Buddy": You hear anything from "Hey Buddy, back of the line!" to "Thanks Buddy! I was wondering when you'd return my hammer that I thought I had misplaced for 6 years!" to "Alright Buddy! Daddy's really proud of that goal eventhough it went in the opposing team's net" to "Buddy! No peeing on Mrs. Smith's zinnias!!"

Ahh suburbia! :D

I hate having to look up when I hear the word "buddy." You just never know what buddy Bud is referring to. ;) :cool:

Wulfhere
07-30-2010, 11:19 PM
"Guy" - in any connection other than Guy Fawkes.

Falkata
07-30-2010, 11:22 PM
"Organic". I´m tired of read it in all the supermarkets in San Francisco. I dont understand the difference between organic blueberries and normal ones, appart from the price of course.

"Fascist". Everybody is a fascist nowadays. Even the basque terrorist group ETA, marxist by definition, is called fascist by the media and politicians.

Phrasal verbs. So you take a random verb and a random preposition, you put them together and abrakadabra , you have a different meaning without any logic

blan
07-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Now all RoyBatty has to do is start a new thread: "Make a sentence with the words others can't stand" :D

"Buddy": You hear anything from "Hey Buddy, back of the line!" to "Thanks Buddy! I was wondering when you'd return my hammer that I thought I had misplaced for 6 years!" to "Alright Buddy! Daddy's really proud of that goal eventhough it went in the opposing team's net" to "Buddy! No peeing on Mrs. Smith's zinnias!!"

Ahh suburbia! :D

I hate having to look up when I hear the word "buddy." You just never know what buddy Bud is referring to. ;) :cool:

i always say brother or bredren or man, monche, boss, rasta, cheri in the case of woman, madam, ect , but i rarely ever say buddy when i speak english

Bari
07-31-2010, 01:32 AM
"Wog", "Swarthy", "Literally", "Fabulous", "Totally" and "Whatever".

Aemma
07-31-2010, 02:26 AM

Yeah I'm not big on "wog" either. I actually abhor all racial slurs. Can't stand a one of them.

Grumpy Cat
07-31-2010, 02:40 AM
"Organic". I´m tired of read it in all the supermarkets in San Francisco. I dont understand the difference between organic blueberries and normal ones, appart from the price of course.

"Organic" is a sham. It's just a way for the capitalists to make money off of the uneducated leftists who hate them so much.

I think it's genius. :D But I also think Michael Moore is a genius because he does exactly the same. I'd love to be joined with his bank account. :thumb001:

Grumpy Cat
07-31-2010, 02:41 AM
Yeah I'm not big on "wog" either. I actually abhor all racial slurs. Can't stand a one of them.

Me neither. And my respect for people goes down a notch when I hear people say them. The worst are people who whine that they can't say them, though. :lol:

Eldritch
07-31-2010, 02:55 AM
I can't think of any (English) words that I dislike as such, but I can't stand it when someone falls in love with a word or phrase and starts overusing it, especially if they are trying to come across as somehow refined and sophisticated.

Two examples I can think of (these weren't the same people in question) are "Faustian" and "carnevalistic". :rolleyes:

Another thing that drives up a wall is people adopting slang words and phrases in order to seem streetwise or seem like they belong a certain group.

Arrow Cross
07-31-2010, 04:52 AM
Calling women "chicks" and greeting others with "hey" in English and using echte Lovari Gypsy words as Hungarian slang. I shudder in horror at the thought of the sheer number of such words already pretty much integrated into our day-to-day common speech.

Grumpy Cat
07-31-2010, 04:55 AM
I just thought of words I do hate:

All these new terms for different types of metal.

It used to be your four basics: Heavy, Thrash, Death, Black.

Now they have all this crazy stuff like Pagan, Viking, Folk, Doom, Pirate, Dark, Suicide, Groove, Power, Environmental... terms ad nauseum, relating to whatever the lyrical content is.

But all of those names, if you listen to the bands, they fall into one of the Basic Four. So just call it what it is.

Megrez
07-31-2010, 05:20 AM
I just thought of words I do hate:

All these new terms for different types of metal.

It used to be your four basics: Heavy, Thrash, Death, Black.

Now they have all this crazy stuff like Pagan, Viking, Folk, Doom, Pirate, Dark, Suicide, Groove, Power, Environmental... terms ad nauseum, relating to whatever the lyrical content is.

But all of those names, if you listen to the bands, they fall into one of the Basic Four. So just call it what it is.

Folk, Power and Doom are actually proper styles of playing metal. One can clearly notice the difference of each of these three to other styles.

Well, since I am here, some words stemming from Black Metal world:

ov ("ov hell")
trve
tr00
kvlt

and of course the fucking

Necrowizard.

Acovstic Black Metal Ist Krieg!!!

Hell yeah.

RoyBatty
07-31-2010, 05:22 AM

That's right, the term "organic" (when coupled with food) actually means "price is a fast developing living entity".

iPad owners (as described in Ken's thread) (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17767) are the primary sales demographic for this miracle of cost development. :D

Grumpy Cat
07-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Folk, Power and Doom are actually proper styles of playing metal. One can clearly notice the difference of each of these three to other styles.

Well, since I am here, some words stemming from Black Metal world:

ov ("ov hell")
trve
tr00
kvlt

and of course the fucking

Necrowizard.

Acovstic Black Metal Ist Krieg!!!

Hell yeah.

Power and Doom sound like heavy metal to me. Folk can range from Black to Heavy to Thrash.

Oh yes, and I hate those black metal terms.

Also "grim" and "necro".

la bombe
07-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Just about anything that’s Americanism.

Basically
You get me (I never touched you)
Know what I mean (yes I speak English to ass hole)
At the end of the day (today? tomorrow?)
Kinda like
We’ve got (insert word/object here) going on

Calling women "chicks" and greeting others with "hey" in English

Dang, you guys would hate me :p

Grumpy Cat
07-31-2010, 05:27 AM
That's right, the term "organic" (when coupled with food) actually means "price is a fast developing living entity".

iPad owners (as described in Ken's thread) are the primary sales demographic for this miracle of cost development. :D

They did a study here and found out that "organic" food uses just as much pesticides as normal food, but different pesticides, and are actually more harmful to the environment because of the different pesticides they use.

But the "moral" crowd loves it.

They claim it tastes better, too, but they did a test on Penn & Teller's Bullshit where they did taste tests of organic and non-organic food, not telling the people which is which, and noone could tell the difference.

The best way to eat "morally" and "environmentally friendly" is to buy locally produced food and only eat what's in season, because there's less environmental impact from transport.

Matritensis
07-31-2010, 05:30 AM
"Hilarious","awesome","it's like...","hate"(used as synonym for racism.Most racists don't hate minorities or non whites,they just despise them.There's a huge difference between those two attitudes)

Grumpy Cat
07-31-2010, 05:39 AM
"Visible minorities".

As opposed to invisible ones? You can see them, can't you?

Lars
07-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Wellness.

(for the off-topic shit)
The 'doom metal' examples below my post are poor. Sunn O))) for example have been ten times more influenced by drone metal than doom metal. Thorr's Hammer is a better example, but their style is death/doom metal.

Doom metal is a pretty vague term and usually means 'traditional doom metal' or in some cases gothic/doom.

I agree that power metal is gay. It's gayer than SUPER AIDS.

Megrez
07-31-2010, 05:51 AM
Power and Doom sound like heavy metal to me. Folk can range from Black to Heavy to Thrash.

Oh yes, and I hate those black metal terms.

Also "grim" and "necro".

You haven't listened to proper Doom yet.

vtnG6EHh1N4
c4vLzXzgkkc

Power metal sounds gay, that's a true difference from Heavy.

And folk metal... uses folkish instruments. There's the "folk way" of playing other styles, but Folk is also a style of its own in my pov.

(for Sookie above)
Drone is a sub-genre of Doom. And I don't see the Death element in Thorr's Hammer.

Megrez
07-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Some people say in Brazil:

"Vai tomar no meu cu"

And there is a form attested by some brazilian BM band that says:

"Vá Tomar no Cu de Jesus"

Pure shit.

I am not gonna translate this...

RoyBatty
07-31-2010, 07:05 AM
"Hilarious","awesome","it's like...","hate"(used as synonym for racism.Most racists don't hate minorities or non whites,they just despise them.There's a huge difference between those two attitudes)

I'm pretty racist but don't hate or despise non-whites or even necessarily consider "us" to be better than them. (ok in some cases we are :D )

In my case I just don't want to "share in the diversity experience" and would rather have "them" somewhere else where they can live according to their customs and leave ours alone.

A handful of immigrants living in a small community is no issue but once it starts expanding to the point that entire neighbourhoods or economic sectors are being taken over by the non-integrators you know you're in trouble and the time has come to invite them (ie this is not a request) to go home.

Lulletje Rozewater
07-31-2010, 12:03 PM

Whitey :D

Absolutely
Scientists say
The Bible says
Kaffir(oh wait I like that one)

Tyrrhenoi
07-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Xenofobic - awful word :grumpy:

Loki
07-31-2010, 01:07 PM
ftw

^^ Not really a word, almost no-one knows what it stands for, yet they use it to appear cool. They don't. :cool: Annoys the crap out of me.

Vrijbuiter
07-31-2010, 01:17 PM
"Yo"

Megrez
07-31-2010, 01:47 PM
ho
gurl

lei.talk
07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Loki http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/jagohan/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247389#post247389) ftw << Not really a word,

almost no-one knows what it stands for, yet,
they use it to appear cool.
They don't.
:cool: Annoys the crap out of me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/Wikipedia_logo_3d_gold.png/120px-Wikipedia_logo_3d_gold.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_The_Win_(Internet_slang)) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Wiktprintable_without_text.svg/120px-Wiktprintable_without_text.svg.png (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/for_the_win)

"Rand ftw :swl Great post (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=220556#post220556)."

Grumpy Cat
07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty racist but don't hate or despise non-whites or even necessarily consider "us" to be better than them. (ok in some cases we are :D )

You're not a racist then:

racism - the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races.

Maybe you are by the definition of "racist" in the PC world (that word is overused), but then again, so am I. Hell, in PC-world "racism", I'm even racist towards other white groups.

Liffrea
07-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Yer joking me (what does that mean?)

People who use words like....like and fuck as grammar, I went to the shop like, I was there to like.

No way (yes way!)

I think I just hate anyone under twenty, don't talk to me.:D:p

Grumpy Cat
07-31-2010, 03:49 PM
OK. I admit to using the word "like"... but as a "stuffer word" (a word used when you can't think of the next word that goes in the sentence), kind of like "ummm", in fact, when I say "like", it's almost always followed by "ummm...", and then maybe "you know", all while flailing my arms erratically. Anybody who speaks English as a second language knows what I'm talking about.

Osweo
07-31-2010, 07:22 PM
You're not a racist then:

racism - the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races.

Maybe you are by the definition of "racist" in the PC world ...

Actually, I consider that definition to be somewhat PC, or at least informed by the contemporary atmosphere.

As I understand '-isms' and '-ists', the first element, the root, is merely an element considered by the proponents of the -ism to be significant in some way. Usually, enough to dictate political and social policy to some extent. By that, a 'racist' is somebody who believes that the biological reality of race is of importance to realms other than mere physiology... Nothing necessarily about over-arching value judgements. It takes a real nutcase to believe that one race is better at everything, after all. And yet to acknowledge differences and their potential ramifications in society seems quite sensible to me.

Oinakos Growion
07-31-2010, 07:26 PM
"Gorgeous"

I simply hate that word, specially when applied to food.

Comte Arnau
07-31-2010, 08:33 PM
The way people use America, vagina and ethnic when they actually mean USA, vulva/pussy and exotic.

Treffie
08-02-2010, 07:59 AM
The misuse of the word `literally` - that literally gets on my nerves. :mad:

Other words that irk me are;

Lush - used by female chavs to describe anything better than mediocre

Dude - hate it when someone addresses me with this

Monday - no explanation required

Beorn
08-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Lush - used by female chavs to describe anything better than mediocre

Anti-Bristolian Welsh snob. :mad:

There are plenty of words I can't stand, usually only seen on the internet. Words like lololololol, lmfao, etc. It isn't so much the words being used, but the frequency of them being used. It's as if people have almost come to see them as punctuation marks.

Other words I can't stand are again only used on the internet, as simply put I do not mix with people who would use it in a daily 'offline' scenario.

Hail/hailsa, comrade, brother, kinsman, etc...

I always get visions of hulking warriors with blood stained swords, when in reality it is just a snotty looking kid with exceptional internet skills.

That leads me onto an off topic pet hate. The Nine Noble Virtues.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq201/Prolog_Auf_Erden/NineNobleVirtues2.jpg

Nothing wrong with the list. They are to be admired and emulated, but, the people who often refer to them are simply anything but noble or ardent followers of the above nine virtues.

... and why is it a hairy arsed man being used in the picture? Oh for the day when a certain scene is proud of their folk, and consider their folk in the correct manner.

I eagerly await the nine virtues being accompanied by a man in a suit and tie with briefcase looking in to the camera, or perhaps a slightly sweaty construction worker with a brightly cleaned hi-viz jacket. Without forgetting the female race, perhaps there could be one with a picture of a housewife looking mean and moody with her rolling pin and handbag?

Treffie
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Anti-Bristolian Welsh snob. :mad:

You gotta be joking - `lush` is heavily used here too :(

The Ripper
08-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I usually get annoyed by any phrase that becomes too popular and "cool".

Allenson
08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
The way people use America.....when they actually mean USA.

Here, USA = America & visa-versa. What are we supposed to call ourselves? United Statesians? Nah.

Aramis
08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Here, USA = America & visa-versa. What are we supposed to call ourselves? United Statesians? Nah.

All United Statesians are Americans, but not all Americans are United Statesians.

Nah. Be a proud Vermontian!

Allenson
08-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Nah. Be a proud Vermontian!

That I am, brah! :thumb001:

Comte Arnau
08-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Read again. I said the use of America, not of American. You have the United States of America, the United States, the States, the USA and the US. No need to ambition the whole continent, even if you actually control it. :p

Btw, I know we're talking about America, but was there need to call it visa versa? :D

Amapola
08-03-2010, 12:11 PM
The combination of the words Latin America is even worse.

Loddfafner
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
in today' society
future endeavors
issues

Lars
08-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I wish George Carlin was still alive so he could rant about euphemisms and why today's soft language is soulless.

Allenson
08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Read again. I said the use of America, not of American. You have the United States of America, the United States, the States, the USA and the US. No need to ambition the whole continent, even if you actually control it. :p

We're still America though and we've been calling this land as such for several centuries now. I reckon it's stood up to the test of time. In fact, I much prefer the word America to refer to this geopolitical body than I do United States.

Btw, I know we're talking about America, but was there need to call it visa versa? :D

Just coving my bases. If there's one thing that I've learned in all my years, is that clarity, if even at the risk of redundancy, is of the utmost import. :thumb001:

Susi
08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
bistro.

julie
08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
to many to name mostly american getto talk

Comte Arnau
08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
We're still America though and we've been calling this land as such for several centuries now. I reckon it's stood up to the test of time. In fact, I much prefer the word America to refer to this geopolitical body than I do United States.

If there's one thing that I've learned in all my years, is that clarity, if even at the risk of redundancy, is of the utmost import. :thumb001:

So from your words and for the sake of clarity I infer that North America refers only to states such as Minnesota or Wisconsin. :thumbs up

Blood Trinity
08-03-2010, 06:46 PM
"Ignorant/ignorance" - that pejorative that is always used against people who happened to be more informed about a taboo subject. :)

hereward
08-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Opportunity, Diversity, Pluralistic, Intelligentsia, Dynamic, Blue sky thinking, Equality, Discrimination, Intel, Vibrant, Gamut, Inclusive, Tolerant/Intolerant, Community, Good-to-go, Outreach, Progressive, Populist, Region, Awareness, Equity, Orientation, EnglishNESS(Any Nation-ness), Partner(Husband/Wife etc),Bi-polar(nearly anthing with Bi as a prefix), Think tank...
I will stop before I suffer an aneurysm.

Loki
08-04-2010, 11:46 PM
OK. I admit to using the word "like"... but as a "stuffer word" (a word used when you can't think of the next word that goes in the sentence), kind of like "ummm", in fact, when I say "like", it's almost always followed by "ummm...", and then maybe "you know", all while flailing my arms erratically. Anybody who speaks English as a second language knows what I'm talking about.

This is a typically South African English way of speaking. English SA's use "like" in every sentence, several times.

Skandi
08-04-2010, 11:54 PM
oh oh just spotted this thread..

an "(H)istoric event" (favourate of the BBC for any pathetic occurance)

the incorect use of "more" i.e;
that's more better than...

don't need it! actually probably just adding extra words that are not required is a big bug...

and just looked at my spelling.. feel free to correct I'm too tired to care :p

Beorn
08-05-2010, 12:40 AM
don't need it! actually probably just adding extra words that are not required is a big bug...

:swl

I remembered one I hate. It isn't a word but a sentence, but it still bugs me.

"The last time I checked..."

It's used in such obscure arguments. You can be arguing that the Moon is made of cheese and the other person will come out with: "Well, the last time I checked the Moon wasn't made of cheese!"

O rly? You have zipped up to the Moon in a space rocket and checked, have you?

Arrow Cross
08-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Opportunity, Diversity, Pluralistic, Intelligentsia, Dynamic, Blue sky thinking, Equality, Discrimination, Intel, Vibrant, Gamut, Inclusive, Tolerant/Intolerant, Community, Good-to-go, Outreach, Progressive, Populist, Region, Awareness, Equity, Orientation, EnglishNESS(Any Nation-ness), Partner(Husband/Wife etc),Bi-polar(nearly anthing with Bi as a prefix), Think tank...
You, sir, have just described the characteristics of modern, post-Thatcher Britain.

Treffie
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM

`Touching base` is another one of those annoying farty words/newspeak ;)

Fintorah
08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
"pingas cheese"
That exact combination of words makes me shrivel up like a prune.

Pallantides
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
'leik' and 'bakels' *shudder*

Äike
08-05-2010, 01:15 PM
The Italian word ciao, it is so strongly implanted in everyday Estonian language, that some not so intelligent people think I'm weird because I never use it. Now try telling them that the word is actually Italian, they won't believe it, because they have used the word since age 2.

Only a million people speak Estonian and the majority of the population starts using Italian words instead?! This pisses me off.

Loddfafner
08-05-2010, 05:12 PM
"Cultural Marxism"
"Racist"
"human nature"

Smaland
08-05-2010, 06:14 PM
This is a euphemism used to describe vicious, violent young criminals who like to riot and burn your house down. I don't hate it, it makes me laugh because it's so ridiculous.

Loddfafner
08-05-2010, 10:52 PM
African American
Differently abled
LGBTQ
Womon of Color
Womyn
Myn (seriously used by radical feminist 'males')
Transgender (as opposed to transgendered)
Heavyset
Mentally challenged

nisse
08-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Womon of Color
Womyn
Myn (seriously used by radical feminist 'males')

Seriously?

MagnaLaurentia
08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
The Italian word ciao, it is so strongly implanted in everyday Estonian language, that some not so intelligent people think I'm weird because I never use it. Now try telling them that the word is actually Italian, they won't believe it, because they have used the word since age 2.

Only a million people speak Estonian and the majority of the population starts using Italian words instead?! This pisses me off.

Why that pisses you off?

I think English words done more damage for europeans langages than a little italian word.

Tyrrhenoi
08-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Lenna you said that already in the thread - ''what grinds your gears" - :rolleyes:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3671&highlight=ciao%2Clatvian&page=123

Äike
08-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Why that pisses you off?

I think English words done more damage for europeans langages than a little italian word.

Let's see if you do not get pissed off when 98% of Italians start using Estonian words when greeting each other and saying bye.

I have been asked several times why do I never use the word ciao and people have given me weird looks.

Let's see you not get pissed when Italians give you weird looks when you use Italian words to greet them.

Lenna you said that already in the thread - ''what grinds your gears" - :rolleyes:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3671&highlight=ciao%2Clatvian&page=123

I know... ;)

Ibericus
08-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I hate the words Latin, Latino, Hispanic because of the stupid meaning they have today.

Comte Arnau
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Let's see if you do not get pissed off when 98% of Italians start using Estonian words when greeting each other and saying bye.

Well, if it conforts you, know that ciao is also said in all other languages of Europe, with more or less frequency. Always meaning bye (in Italian it can also mean hi).

I hate the words Latin, Latino, Hispanic because of the stupid meaning they have today.

Or Spanish, for that case. A quick search of words related to it and you see Mexican sombreros, maracas and the like.

Grumpy Cat
08-09-2010, 12:43 AM

I have been asked several times why do I never use the word ciao and people have given me weird looks.

Let's see you not get pissed when Italians give you weird looks when you use Italian words to greet them.

I think he was trying to make a point that more non-English speakers use English than the odd Italian word. English is a much bigger threat since it is everywhere.

nisse
08-09-2010, 03:07 AM
I think he was trying to make a point that more non-English speakers use English than the odd Italian word. English is a much bigger threat since it is everywhere.

Well, I think the threat is different - English is mostly used for words that didn't exist before (email, etc.) and a few kitschy "oh, look at me, I am so "in"" words. "Hello" and "Bye" are pretty fundamental in a language though...what "core" word will be replaced next? "family"?

Grumpy Cat
08-09-2010, 03:14 AM
Well, I think the threat is different - English is mostly used for words that didn't exist before (email, etc.) and a few kitschy "oh, look at me, I am so "in"" words. "Hello" and "Bye" are pretty fundamental in a language though...what "core" word will be replaced next? "family"?

Well, I am the first to admit that my English grammar is better than grammar in my first language, written anyways... because it's on my TV, on my radio, in my newspaper, the majority of content on my iPod, and what I speak most of the time at work.

Debaser11
08-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Utilize--It's a pseudo-intellectual word that is overused when "use" suffices.

Grumpy Cat
08-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Queue... in English, anyways, when used to refer to a line. In English, the only time I will use the word "queue" is referring to data packets waiting to pass on a token ring network or calls waiting on a VoIP based Computer Telephony Integration system. Have no problem with the word in French, though.

Oh, I also hate the word symposium. It invokes flashbacks of an old job working with technology with the same name and getting paged at 2 am, 4 am, and then again at 6 am because the alert system thought it was broken but it really wasn't broken.

Eldritch
08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I can't think of any (English) words that I dislike as such ...

I actually just realised that I hate the way the word "poignant" seems to be in every second blurb on the back cover of paperback books. :coffee:

Susi
08-10-2010, 02:05 AM
I actually just realised that I hate the way the word "poignant" seems to be in every second blurb on the back cover of paperback books. :coffee:

Now that you mention it, it is pretty irritating.

I don't see a problem with queue as previously mentioned, it's just natural for me to say it :embarrassed

"Webinar". I hate it. It isn't even a real word.

Grumpy Cat
08-10-2010, 02:07 AM
"Webinar". I hate it. It isn't even a real word.

Islamophobia... also not even a real word. Spell check doesn't recognize it, that's good enough for me.

And criticising Islam doesn't mean you're afraid of Muslims.

Other words I hate: Google when used as a verb, lackadaisical, deprecated (just say "decommissioned"), and stimulus package (it's a bailout).

Debaser11
08-10-2010, 02:18 AM
If called an "Islamophobe," I'd take it as a compliment.

Grumpy Cat
08-10-2010, 02:25 AM
If called an "Islamophobe," I'd take it as a compliment.

I've been called an Islamophobe. I'm not afraid of Muslims. If I was, I wouldn't criticize Islam, which I do. It's irrational. They don't eat pork for one...

Mind you, I don't eat pork, but that's because I don't like it, not because my imaginary friend told me not to.

Otherwise, food is food.

Debaser11
08-10-2010, 02:29 AM
I've been called an Islamophobe. I'm not afraid of Muslims. If I was, I wouldn't criticize Islam, which I do. It's irrational. They don't eat pork for one...

Mind you, I don't eat pork, but that's because I don't like it, not because my imaginary friend told me not to.

Otherwise, food is food.

I must confess to having a fear of Muslims. At least in certain situations such as being a plane with one who is in his late 20s early 30s who is praying very emphatically. It's enough to at least make me uneasy. I think they're probably less scary in North America on the whole, though.

Grumpy Cat
08-10-2010, 02:32 AM
I must confess to having a fear of Muslims. At least in certain situations such as being a plane with one who is in his late 20s early 30s who is praying very emphatically. It's enough to at least make me uneasy. I think they're probably less scary in North America on the whole, though.

Here's the thing though: A Muslim who is a fundamentalist planning to blow up a plane is going to hide that he is Muslim, so he won't be praying on the plane.

Muslim extremists are actually encoraged to somewhat blend into the society they are moving into.. even to marry locals... so people won't suspect them.

The 9/11 hijackers all wore suits so they wouldn't turn heads... while security was probably eyeing the innocent guy in traditional Islamic dress.

Debaser11
08-10-2010, 03:10 AM
Here's the thing though: A Muslim who is a fundamentalist planning to blow up a plane is going to hide that he is Muslim, so he won't be praying on the plane.

Muslim extremists are actually encoraged to somewhat blend into the society they are moving into.. even to marry locals... so people won't suspect them.

The 9/11 hijackers all wore suits so they wouldn't turn heads... while security was probably eyeing the innocent guy in traditional Islamic dress.

Good point. I guess it's a lot like my fear of flying in general. I'm more likely to be killed in a car crash, but I'm still much more nervous on a runway than a driveway.

Grumpy Cat
08-10-2010, 03:40 AM
Good point. I guess it's a lot like my fear of flying in general. I'm more likely to be killed in a car crash, but I'm still much more nervous on a runway than a driveway.

I always go to fear the least obvious.

Hell, whenever you see a documentary about a serial killer on TV they always interview the neighbours and they are like "oh, he was so quiet".

Those are the people to fear!!!

Not the person who says "I'm going to kill you".. many people have said that to me and I am still alive and kicking.

Hell, even Osama bin Laden's neighbours in Sudan said he was quiet.

Aemma
08-10-2010, 04:28 AM
The way people use America, vagina and ethnic when they actually mean USA, vulva/pussy and exotic.

Uhh yeah!! I really don't get the idea where many Europeans find it proper to refer to North Americans as "Americans." You fail to realise that if you do go that route, then Mexicans should also be called "Americans" since they also reside in North America but more importantly, you also fail to realise that there also exists a South America. What do you call them? Americans too?:rolleyes:

On a related note: The term "Yankee" (used loosely to refer to an American and hence any American) to denote a Canadian. Read your history dear people! Not all Americans (ie., citizens of the USA) are Yankees or come from Yankee stock and Canucks are not Yanks! Crikey! How hard is that to understand?

On a totally unrelated note :D: Certain -ance words: two in particular, Ignorance and Arrogance. I don't mind the words in and of themselves I suppose; they flow nicely from the lips and roll off the tongue well enough. I just really hate what they stand for and that such words had to be invented to describe such behaviour to begin with is my big beef. :shrug:

Comte Arnau
08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Uhh yeah!! I really don't get the idea where many Europeans find it proper to refer to North Americans as "Americans." You fail to realise that if you do go that route, then Mexicans should also be called "Americans" since they also reside in North America

And yet, I can understand the demonym American. It's the use of America, the noun, that I criticize, not the adjective, as there is no other way of calling someone from the US, is there? Well, Mexico is America, but also North America, but also US, as the whole name of the country is the United States of Mexico. :)

On a related note: The term "Yankee" (used loosely to refer to an American and hence any American)

In Spain, yanqui is certainly used as a derogatory term for someone from the US. It doesn't really include Canada, but it includes the whole of the US. Contrary to what many believe, gringo is not used at all, it sounds like from a western movie.

Svipdag
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with either of these words, WHEN USED CORRECTLY.

1. Hopefully It means in a manner full of hope. It does NOT mean "I hope" or
"it is to be hoped".

2. Deploy It means to set out in a pre-arranged pattern, as one might deploy troops, for example. It is NOT a synonym for "employ".

Comte Arnau
08-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Using actor for a woman instead of actress because it's 'gender neutral'. What the fuck?

Susi
08-11-2010, 01:19 AM
There's nothing wrong with either of these words, WHEN USED CORRECTLY.

1. Hopefully It means in a manner full of hope. It does NOT mean "I hope" or
"it is to be hoped".

However, you can't deny its usefulness in this context... language evolves and so do words. ;)

Using actor for a woman instead of actress because it's 'gender neutral'. What the fuck?

I think using 'actor' instead of 'actress' is hum.. not really a conscious decision on gender neutrality. It's just a sign of a rapidly shrinking vocabulary.

Beorn
08-11-2010, 01:26 AM

It's the English language. If you don't like it, then don't use it.

Actor: late 14c., "an overseer, a plaintiff," from L. actor "an agent or doer," from pp. stem of agere (see act (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=act)). Sense of "one who performs in plays" is 1580s, originally applied to both men and women.

Peasant
08-11-2010, 01:40 AM
'bruv'

Barrie
07-17-2012, 10:50 PM
"Really" as an intensifier when 'very' will do.

"Great" when over-used for good or pleasing.

"Lovely" to show gratitude alongside thanks (in the UK) - but perhaps it has pedigree (My Fair Lady - cockney usage)

Siberian Cold Breeze
07-18-2012, 12:37 AM
consume ...:mad:

hate that word and it's equally disturbing Turkish equivalent popped up recently everywhere ..once it was only used in media but now normal people use it too..i shiver and want to run away

don't consume this ,consume water ...:confused:
I am a human ,i don't consume water I drink it !!
what is next ?..Are we going to use the word " process" instead of "digest?"

Edelmann
07-18-2012, 12:43 AM
"Really" as an intensifier when 'very' will do.

I say "really very" sometimes. :D

rhiannon
07-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Fabulous
Annoy
Person of color
Most PCisms
The phrase *Sweet!* or *Snap!*

Sikeliot
07-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Tolerance. The way it is used nowadays is incorrect. People think it means to accept everyone, agree with everything without conviction, and love everyone without questioning anyone's motives, lifestyles, or decisions. That isn't tolerance, it's acceptance. Tolerance is putting up with something that you do not like, i.e. "I don't agree with your decisions but I will still show you respect."

Ladejarlen
07-18-2012, 06:11 AM
"Per se"

2DREZQ
07-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Observationally

rashka
07-28-2012, 07:13 PM

Serbs say ciao too. I always thought that it was Italian. We didn't use it in our home and older Serbs did not use the term. I only saw it being used more often these days, in Serbia and from recent immigrants and on the internet. At first I thought it was strange because I was used to hearing the standard "dovidjenja" for good-bye. I still don't use the word ciao.

Apparenty it was the word used by the Romans to greet their slavic slaves and that it was a slavic word to begin with. :lol:

Svipdag
07-28-2012, 07:29 PM
"Hopefully" It means in a hopeful manner, NOT "I hope" or "It is to be hoped that....." E.g., "The President spoke hopefully about the prospects that the recession would be a short one."

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

arcticwolf
07-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Words I can't stand?

When uttered by a female:

"No"
"I have a headache"
"It's not as big as you think"
"It's not you, it's me"
"If you'd loved me you would ..."
"Does that make my ass look big?"
"I just wanna cuddle"
"What do you think of my mother?"
"I don't like oral sex"

When uttered by a man:

"I have no money on me, but I'll pay you back tomorrow"
"Can I ask you a favor?"
"I feel like talking"

Osprey
07-28-2012, 08:09 PM
When women say :
'Oh come on' he's a nice guy.'
'he's not bad at all'
'I like dark skin'
'Tall, muscular niggers make my day'
'black hair is so alpha'
:D:D

sturmwalkure
07-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Pretty much any ghetto or other slang terminology.

PetiteParisienne
07-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I despise the the slang term 'pull', as in 'on the pull'.

Graham
07-28-2012, 08:33 PM
I despise the the slang term 'pull', as in 'on the pull'.

Hate the way some Scots pronounce pull as poo. Like full and foo. :p

PetiteParisienne
07-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Hate the way some Scots pronounce pull as poo. Like full and foo. :p

I pooed a fit lad last night.

Graham
07-28-2012, 09:26 PM
I pooed a fit lad last night.

:p Gran described her local burn running down from her old cottage as a child. As 'poo burn'. Pool Burn. Burn is our word for stream.

rashka
08-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I hate the word "cool". As in " Oh that's so cool". :lol:

PetiteParisienne
08-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I can't stand this new term 'YOLO', that stands for You Only Live Once. It's basically Carpe Diem for trendy idiots. Ugh.

Albion
08-04-2012, 02:00 PM
I can't stand pseudo-intellectuals who say 'extraordinary' as 'extra................ordinary'. I know it is a compound of two words but it just sounds so annoying, like they're trying too hard to make sure we all know.

Zack_Fair
08-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Kudos
Ditto
orientated( I prefer oriented )
My bad

Ditto.

Albion
08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
'Influence' - I use that word far too often when speaking about how different populations have been assimilated into larger ones.

Graham
08-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Ditto.

Ditto

Albion
08-04-2012, 02:10 PM
"Per se"

Only when the person using it has no idea what it means and uses it incorrectly.

Graham
08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
People that say "one" instead of I.

"one mustn't look like a fool but one is"

RoyBatty
08-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Diversity
Tolerance
Judeo-Christian
Shared Values

Zack_Fair
08-04-2012, 02:17 PM
*shenanigans
*Hoodlum

Rouxinol
08-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Dude (hate it).

Kazimiera
08-04-2012, 02:22 PM
I hate the word "muesli".

I have nothing against the stuff at all, in fact it is very nice. But the sound of the word gives me the creeps! :mad:

Mini
08-04-2012, 11:14 PM
All modern versions and shades of the word democracy. I also feel disgust when I hear words like religion, human rights, homosexuality, feminism and many more.. Not so much because of the word itself, but because of what it stands for.

Svipdag
08-05-2012, 07:53 PM
"Pull" used to mean influence, especially political, as in "The only reason he got that contract is that he has pull." What does it mean now ?

Kazimiera
08-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Another horrible one: "gobsmacked"

and "scrumptious" - who the fuck uses this word??

Stefan
08-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I can't stand this new term 'YOLO', that stands for You Only Live Once. It's basically Carpe Diem for trendy idiots. Ugh.

I DESPISE this word. My generation uses it as an excuse to do whatever they want.

Frigga
08-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Another horrible one: "gobsmacked"

and "scrumptious" - who the fuck uses this word??

:angel

TqkzDca0SpE

Mechanolater
08-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I DESPISE this word. My generation uses it as an excuse to do whatever they want.

Bring back "Hakuna Matata".

I don't like the word "Particularly," since it's difficult to say with my accent. Comes out "Puh-tick-yuh-luh-lee".

Kazimiera
08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
:angel

Yeah. You seem the scrumptious type. :p

Frigga
08-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I dislike the word phantasmagoric, because it totally smacks of pretension and snobbery. (I am probably jaded by my boorish brother in law, he throws this word around a lot)

Incel King
08-05-2012, 09:02 PM
In English can't stand word hot in context of sexual attractiveness.

In Serbo-Croatian can't stand most of curses.

Pecheneg
08-06-2012, 02:12 AM
duty, it's also very hard to spell.

rashka
08-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Technically. Too overused in non-technical situations. :lol:

Caismeachd
08-06-2012, 03:04 AM
I hate the word "delicious".

Not sure why. It reminds me of a slob for some reason.