PDA

View Full Version : Decline of Icelandic Art

~°2012°~
08-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Mystery Art In Nowhereland

http://grapevine.is/media/w490/b8ff641e12cedf32.jpg

Embarking on unknown journeys of performance art and insanity

We are sitting in a pile of hay in Vogar, near Keflavík, drinking wine and watching hipsters lying about in the evening sun. Kolbeinn Hugi Höskuldsson and Mundi Vondi, a pair of local cool-kids-slash-artists who describe each other as a try-out musician and a fashion victim, are freshly showered after giving a performance inside a turf covered shed. The people in attendance boarded a bus in downtown Reykjavík a few hours prior—well stocked up on alcoholised beverages—with no clue where they were about to go or what exactly they were about to see. Little did they know they were about to witness two naked men covered in clay, dangling from the ceiling, attacking a piñata of full of beer.

“We started talking about how girls check out their genitals when they’re teenagers,” Kolbeinn Hugi muses over the last performance they did together. “They have to stand on top of mirrors. I read this book that my niece had and it said you had to place the mirror on the floor and stand on it and check out your vagina. So we were talking about placing mirrors all over and then when you have mirrors, you think about lasers.”

The performance of which he is speaking happened just two weeks prior, on a similar adventure, and consisted of a bare-assed battle of laser-pointers inserted into the most daring of orifices and crawling around a dirty cellar. “It started as a joke, but we realised quite fast that the joke had to become reality,” says Mundi. Luckily, both they and the crowd were socially lubricated with copious amounts of free alcohol in order to lower the level of perplexity.

Meaningless, but not vapid

Perplexing the audience is not necessarily the goal though. There seems to be no intended purpose or message from their artwork. In fact, Kolbeinn Hugi is of the opinion that it is misguided to search for meaning. “In my opinion people have this misconception about visual art,” he says, “you go to a visual art show and it’s supposed to mean something.

Read more... (http://grapevine.is/Art/ReadArticle/Mystery-Art-In-Nowhereland-Mundi-Kolli-Trip-)

Welcome to the modern nihilistic hopelessness

Invictus_88
08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
There's more to Icelandic art than that, I'm sure.

Osweo
08-05-2010, 12:20 AM
the crowd were socially lubricated with copious amounts of free alcohol

Shit, Folks. This is a real ethical dilemma for me. :cry2

Susi
08-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't think art needs purpose or a clearly delineated 'meaning', but then again, i have such 'performative' art ideas as this.