PDA

View Full Version : Are Danish people considered Germanic?

thundercreek
08-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Are danish people considered Germanic, why or why not? :thumb001:

Beorn
08-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Depends upon who is doing the considering.

Equinox
08-03-2010, 12:33 AM
I have always considered them to be Celto-Germanic.

Pallantides
08-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Then western Norwegians are Celto-Germanic as well, while eastern Norwegians are Finnic-Germanic and northern Norwegians are Lapp-Germanic. :D

Equinox
08-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Then western Norwegians are Celto-Germanic as well, while eastern Norwegians are Finnic-Germanic and northern Norwegians are Lapp-Germanic. :D

It is my understanding that many Celtic British peoples were taken to Denmark and integrated into the gene-pool, both before and during the Danelaw in England. Perhaps I have over-estimated their contribution?

I cannot comment on the rest of Scandinavia and daresay you are in a better position than I to elaborate on the matter.

Pallantides
08-03-2010, 12:56 AM
It is my understanding that many Celtic British peoples were taken to Denmark and integrated into the gene-pool, both before and during the Danelaw in England. Perhaps I have over-estimated their contribution?

I cannot comment on the rest of Scandinavia and daresay you are in a better position than I to elaborate on the matter.

Western Norwegian vikings also brought with them many Irish and British slaves to the western coast of Norway, also a significant number of Scots migrated to western Norway from the 16th to the 18th century, Finns immigrated to eastern Norway in the 16th and 17th century, northern Norway have a substantial Saami and Kven(Finnish) population who have mixed with Norwegians over the years.

from 16th to the 19th century these groups have immigrated to Norway in large numbers:

Germans
Dutch
Scots
Finns
Swedes

Smaller numbers:

Italians
Swiss
Gypsies(very small number, those who came here in 16th century have mixed with Norwegians and are now more Norwegian genetically than Romani)
Walloons
Russians
English
Jews( a small number of Jews came to Norway when they were allowed entry in 1855)

But these is what I'd call positive immigration, since they all contributed to Norway(apart from the Gypsies), unlike the third world immigrants we get now.

Osweo
08-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Depends upon who is doing the considering.

... but only non-idiots are worth listening to. ;)

OF COURSE they're Germanic, for f*#&k's sake. :rage

A few thralls here and there don't change that, either.

Grumpy Cat
08-03-2010, 01:45 AM
WTF kind of question is that?

Of course they are Germanic.

Beorn
08-03-2010, 01:47 AM

OF COURSE they're Germanic, for f*#&k's sake. :rage

But he asked if Danish people are Germanic, not if Denmark was Germanic.

Pallantides
08-03-2010, 01:50 AM
I think many Danes like Mads Mikkelsen would not classify as Germanic by Skadi standards though. :D
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/691/2007afterthewedding001.jpg

Osweo
08-03-2010, 01:53 AM

It's got tons of Danes in it.

Would your bed be shitty if I dumped a month's supply of dogshit out of my garden into it?

And 'Denmark' and 'England' have an existence in other realms than the merely geographic or political.

Beorn
08-03-2010, 01:57 AM
It's got tons of Danes in it.

Denmark has. He asked if the people were all Germanic.

Would your bed be shitty if I dumped a month's supply of dogshit out of my garden into it?

Not all of it. There would be some spots that were still clean, most probably underneath the duvet and especially under the pillow cases.

Are you smearing this shit evenly over the whole bed, or just literally 'dumping it' as you stated?

And 'Denmark' and 'England' have an existence in other realms than the merely geographic or political.

Are they Rhesus Negative too? :D

Osweo
08-03-2010, 02:02 AM
I think many Danes like Mads Mikkelsen would not classify as Germanic by Skadi standards though. :D
I refer you to my previous post;

Denmark has. He asked if the people were all Germanic.
What on Earth are you on about now? :rolleyes:

Lars
08-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Yes. Denmark and Danes are in the heart of Germanic culture and it's people. I've never heard of a major Celtic influence on Danes in Denmark, but only the major Danish influence on the people in Eastern England during Danelaw.

Is this a troll?

Beorn
08-03-2010, 02:06 AM
What on Earth are you on about now? :rolleyes:

What if one Danish person had a Welsh mother and a half-Welsh and half-Danish father? He'd be 1/4 Germanic and therefore not a whole Germanic.

He'd therefore make my original statement pertinent.

"Depends upon who is doing the considering."

If he was doing the considering he'd most likely think himself as Celtic by virtue of it being the majority of his ancestry, but he does have Germanic (albeit minute) ancestry, so his consideration would have to kept in mind, mind.

Óttar
08-03-2010, 03:40 AM
:confused: Of course they are! Never occurred to me to think anything different. :rolleyes:

Guapo
08-03-2010, 04:21 AM
Are danish people considered Germanic

YEs

Farcebook
08-03-2010, 05:42 AM

Hmm...Mikkelsen reminds me very slightly of Finnish hockey player Teemu Selanne:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/dobberpics/7408106_NHL_Teemu_Selanne_PC.jpg

Eldritch
08-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Now you must tell me what those standards are. :p

Wulfhere
08-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Danes are far more Germanic than Germans. The Danish peninsula was one of the core areas of the original Germanic homeland during the Nordic Bronze Age, when what is now Germany was inhabited mainly by Celts, and Slavs in the east.

Allenson
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
The Danish peninsula was one of the core areas of the original Germanic homeland during the Nordic Bronze Age,

I was just about to say something along these very lines. The area that is now Denmark and northern Germany (prob'ly southern Sweden too) was the cradle of the earliest Germanic people before their expansion.

So yeah, Denmark is Germanic. :coffee:

Groenewolf
08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Are danish people considered Germanic, why or why not? :thumb001:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o230/henryzhao10/tactical_facepalm.jpg

Erik
08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I believe that it a nonsense that Celtic tribes arrived in Denmark. Especially Jutland is
home of purest germanic fair haired people. Before 1800 never foreign i.c. non Germanic
tribes entered Jutland. In Jutland the rural are all fair/red haired with blue eyes.

But from where came the Jutlanders ancestors? From southwest France (Cro-Magnon)?
Perhaps from Poland/Ukraine too?

Ibericus
08-03-2010, 06:11 PM
The Celts didn't settle in Denmark. The Danish are ethnically a mix of germanics and pre-Indoeuropean nordics. In terms of linguistics they are germanic since they speak a germanic language.

Erik
08-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Just I read an article about the Danish haplogroups in Dienekes Blogspot.
Who can help me to explain this article, because I am a layman.
I understand that the neolithic immigrants did not have so many effects
on the mesolithic hunters. I suppose that these hunters originally came from
the southwest-France and northwest Spain? So most of the ancestors of the Danish population had lived during the Ice-Age in southwest France/Northwest
Spain?

Aviane
08-03-2010, 11:51 PM
I definitely think that overall still that Danish are Germanic, even the people look the part.

Jaska
09-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Scientifically speaking, Germanicness is based on language (mother tongue) only: all peoples who speak Germanic languages are Germanic peoples.

Some of you see Germanicness based on genetics or historical geography. But there are no Germanic genes, as far as I know. Germanic peoples are different by their genes, and other peoples have these same genes without being Germanic.

And historical geography is as vague a concept. If we go further back in time, Danish was something else than Germanic core area. And British Isles were something else than Celtic area. Common genes in these area may have nothing to do with Germanicness or Celticness, if their dispersal precedes the Germanic and Celtic languages.

Motörhead Remember Me
09-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Word from Jaska. Avoid mixing genes and language.

Austrians are Germanic because of the language they speak but differ genetically from Norwegians who also speak a Germanic language. The Austrians are to my understanding considerably closer to Slavs than what Norwegians are.

The idea of a pure Germanic people is absurd.

Regarding the question wether Celts have been in Denmark; there are indeed several archeological findings which point to a considerable Celtic influence. Whether it was the people who migrated there or cultural diffusion, is as usual tricky to determine. Probably both.

Motörhead Remember Me
09-03-2010, 06:43 AM
The Celts didn't settle in Denmark. The Danish are ethnically a mix of germanics and pre-Indoeuropean nordics. In terms of linguistics they are germanic since they speak a germanic language.

What is the "pre-Indoeuropean Nordic" component visible in the Danes genetical set up?

Motörhead Remember Me
09-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Just I read an article about the Danish haplogroups in Dienekes Blogspot.
Who can help me to explain this article, because I am a layman.
I understand that the neolithic immigrants did not have so many effects
on the mesolithic hunters. I suppose that these hunters originally came from
the southwest-France and northwest Spain? So most of the ancestors of the Danish population had lived during the Ice-Age in southwest France/Northwest
Spain?

You are going too far back if your purpose is to determine the Danish ethnicity of today. Denmark has been the subject for a lot of emigration and immigration the past 1000 years.

Motörhead Remember Me
09-03-2010, 06:48 AM

LOL, I'm sure Lappo-mongol would be a fair classification.

Loki
09-03-2010, 07:47 AM
The Danes are the most Germanic of all nations imo. I say that because of historical reasons. It's also observable.

Motörhead Remember Me
09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
The Danes are the most Germanic of all nations imo. I say that because of historical reasons. It's also observable.

Because they are all Borrebies???

Loki
09-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Because they are all Borrebies???

what is a Borreby? Can you smoke it? Next time you consider leaving your basement, take a flight to Denmark. I know the daylight might hurt your eyes, but hang in there.

Motörhead Remember Me
09-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Relax, Loki. It was a joke. Get it or forget it. (Been to Denmark several times, probably know the country better than you)

Erik
09-03-2010, 12:42 PM
But to what kind of immigration has Denmark been the subject? I believe that
the population of Jutland are descendants of the ancient rendeer hunters
(Bruenn and Borreby men). No immigrants from the south entered Jutland,
because it used to be very poor.

Liffrea
09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I’m no expert on Denmark but I would imagine that if any nation could be considered “Germanic” then Denmark (and Norway, Sweden) would fit the bill. They have little Mediterranean influence on their languages and culture (that I am aware of) and little other influence from Slavic or Celtic cultures.

The Lawspeaker
09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
It's a stupid question. Is the heart part of the body ?
The Danes are at the very center of the Germanendom. Next question, please, and let it be more intelligent.

Pallantides
09-04-2010, 04:51 AM
LOL, I'm sure Lappo-mongol would be a fair classification.

20 Norwegian fotball players from Oslo = Mads Mikkelsen?
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/Pallantides/Morphs/morpheastnorwegian.jpg

esaima
09-04-2010, 07:46 AM
I think Danish people are as Germanic as possible.

Great Dane
09-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Is the sky blue? Of course they are Germanic or Teutonic, whichever term you prefer. Why would anyone even question the racial status of Danes?

poiuytrewq0987
09-05-2010, 09:56 PM
No, Danes are Germanized northwestern Slavs.

Pallantides
09-05-2010, 10:31 PM
R1a's frequency is only like 12% in Denmark, Norway have much more R1a.

Slavic empire:D
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2928/r1adistribution.jpg

Inese
09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
My opinion is that Germans from the north and Danes are very very similar and all 100% Germanic! :nod: And can someone explain why some Danes have German surnames?? Thank you. Look at the Danish national football team as a little example:
Thomas Kahlenberg
http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/0905/Bilder/kahlenberg-thomas-rund-um-ball-514.jpg

And their soccer superstar is Nicklas Bendtner! Bendtner is not a scandinavian name, names with -er at the end are total common in Germany. Schröder, Meier, Berger, Löffler and many more ---- or Hitler! :D

Pallantides
09-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Surnames of German origin are quite common in Scandinavia, my surname is of German/Dutch/Danish origin.

poiuytrewq0987
09-07-2010, 07:55 PM
My opinion is that Germans from the north and Danes are very very similar and all 100% Germanic! :nod: And can someone explain why some Danes have German surnames?? Thank you. Look at the Danish national football team as a little example:
Thomas Kahlenberg

And their soccer superstar is Nicklas Bendtner! Bendtner is not a scandinavian name, names with -er at the end are total common in Germany. Schröder, Meier, Berger, Löffler and many more ---- or Hitler! :D

Goes to prove that Danes are just Germanised Slavs with their Germanised surnames. If their surnames weren't Germanised then they'd have Slavic surnames. Damn Germans keeping us down. :coffee:

Inese
09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
German derived surnames are quite common in Scandinavia, my surname is of German origin.
Hmm and how is it possible? :confused: The movement of the ancient Germanics was from Scandinavia to Central Europe.
http://www.zeitlerweb.com/img/600x436Pre_Migration_Age_Germanic.png
Was there a other movement from Germany to the north again later? And if not of Germany then of the Germanic tribes who united to be Germany centurys later. I dont know and i never read anything about a movement to the north back

Goes to prove that Danes are just Germanised Slavs with their Germanised surnames. If their surnames weren't Germanised then they'd have Slavic surnames. Damn Germans keeping us down. :coffee:
Hello important news: 1st April is not today.

Osweo
09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
As a further bit of an answer to Inese's question, I remember reading that a lot of Germans were encouraged to move to Kobenhavn in the late middle ages, for various economic reasons, and this is why we English now refer to that town as 'Copenhagen'. Or summat like that. :D

Additionally, it's worth pointing out Denmark's dynastic links with northern Germany. Some king of Denmark only had daughters or whatever, and the heir became an Oldenburg, from that old Duchy beside the city of Bremen. The Kings of Denmark were also Dukes of Holstein - a fully German area - until Bismarck's war in the 1860s.

The Bishop of Hamburg was for a long time the Church's chief representative in Scandinavia, too.

All these factors ensured that lots of people moved about relatively freely between the two lands, taking their surnames with them. I know several Germans with 'Danish' surnames too - it's not a 'one way street'. :)

Pallantides
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Hmm and how is it possible? :confused: The movement of the ancient Germanics was from Scandinavia to Central Europe.

From the 16th to the 18th century many Germans emigrated to Norway, in 1702 over 40% of Trondheim's population were German.
http://195.159.218.27/nyenordmenn/nettustillinger/NF_ML/4/tyskere/index.htm(source, in Norwegian)

http://195.159.218.27/nyenordmenn/nettustillinger/NF_ML/6/img/3_01.jpg

Inese
09-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Okay thank you for your answers Osweo and Pallantides, i didnt knew that!:thumb001:

Albion
10-27-2010, 09:33 PM

What the hells with the Celto- part? Denmark is probably the most Germanic nation there is, there's no Celtic input apart from in the Faroe Islands!

True. And its not even guaranteed that many of the thralls would have produced offspring whilst in Denmark either.

I think they're prety certain to be Germanic since the Germanic culture developed there and it is the only culture Denmark has ever known since.
The more important question is why are you trying to downplay their "Germanic-ness"?

Danes are far more Germanic than Germans. The Danish peninsula was one of the core areas of the original Germanic homeland during the Nordic Bronze Age, when what is now Germany was inhabited mainly by Celts, and Slavs in the east

I was just about to say something along these very lines. The area that is now Denmark and northern Germany (prob'ly southern Sweden too) was the cradle of the earliest Germanic people before their expansion.

So yeah, Denmark is Germanic.

True.

Regarding the question wether Celts have been in Denmark; there are indeed several archeological findings which point to a considerable Celtic influence. Whether it was the people who migrated there or cultural diffusion, is as usual tricky to determine. Probably both.

Oh, that old crap again. The La Tene was an art style not a culture and most historians today view it that way.
The Gunderstrup Cauldron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundestrup_Cauldron) and a few other finds are used to suggest that the Cimbri are Celtic, despite that the cauldron could have come from practically anywhere in Central Europe.

The Gundestrup cauldron is the largest known example of European Iron Age silver work (diameter 69 cm, height 42 cm). The style and workmanship suggest Thracian origin, while the imagery seems Celtic. This has opened room for conflicting theories of Thracian vs. Gaulish origin of the cauldron. Taylor (1991) has suggested Thracian origin with influence by Indian iconography.

In a way some people make links to it as only Celticists could, its Celtic artwork meaning the Cimbri must have been Germanic :rolleyes:
The Gunderstrup Cauldron is probably a good example of ancient trade routes, nothing more. Its rather quite absurd to suggest that the Cimbri, from the heartland of Germanic territory could have been Celtic based on a few scant pieces of artistry which could have been imported or imported art styles.

I think many Danes like Mads Mikkelsen would not classify as Germanic by Skadi standards though

I don't know, he looks pasty enough in James bond to pass :D

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/mads_mikkelsen.jpg

It's a stupid question. Is the heart part of the body ?
The Danes are at the very center of the Germanendom. Next question, please, and let it be more intelligent.

True again.

Try again, that's the inhabitants of Western Holstein, the Slavs didn't extend much if any into modern Denmark.

Goes to prove that Danes are just Germanised Slavs with their Germanised surnames. If their surnames weren't Germanised then they'd have Slavic surnames. Damn Germans keeping us down.

Is this sarcasm or for real? Slavs North Western limit was the southern area of Schelswig Holstein, they never extended into Denmark. Please go look at a few historical maps and read a bit on the area. :thumb001:
And as for Danes being Germanized Slavs its more the other way around, much of the population of Eastern Germany is Germanized Slavs, with the Germanic culture originally coming from Denmark and North Germany. It is Germany that has been "Danishized":D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Limes.saxoniae.wmt.png

Above map: This will give you a rough idea. The areas to the east of the lines were Slavic, the areas to the west were Germanic. Both cultures were expanding at the time with the Slavs taking areas of Eastern Europe which had previously been East Germanic and the Germanics expanding South and West and regaining some territories in Central Europe with the West Germanics.

Aviane
10-27-2010, 10:45 PM
The Danes would be understandably Germanic since them and the Germans share a common history so it's more the truth than anything else really.

As for names sounding similar this is a real clue to the root of the connection between themselves and their neighbours and as well from invasions.

safinator
09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Yes

WOOHP
09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
LOL what a question. Danes are one of the most Germanic people of today along side Norwegians and Swedes.

aherne
09-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Danes are the most Germanic looking people in the world. Ancestors of German and English came from Denmark as well.

Vasconcelos
09-11-2013, 08:34 PM
That was one of the most hideous necros I have ever seen lol

Jackson
09-11-2013, 08:36 PM
That was one of the most hideous necros I have ever seen lol

Safinator, the new Necromancer :D

Dombra
09-11-2013, 08:41 PM
This thread was not meant to reach surface again xD

btw Danes are probably the most Germanic people

blahblahcelticinputblablah

Smeagol
09-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Danes, and Swedes are the most Germanic people.

Jackson
09-11-2013, 08:50 PM
This thread was not meant to reach surface again xD

btw Danes are probably the most Germanic people

blahblahcelticinputblablah

Yeah i agree. If you look at it from the genetic perspective, there hasn't much major movement from Denmark into Norway and Sweden (in terms of mass migrations), nor has there from Sweden and Denmark into northern Germany. And someone who knows more about linguistics than me suggests that based on early borrowing in Germanic, proto-Germanic must have developed somewhere in Scandinavia, so i think the whole area between the western edge of Pomerania, the southern tip of Sweden and Denmark are all pretty likely candidates. At least that is my opinion, south-western Baltic anyway.

Pleurat
09-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Danish and dutch are the most germanic people on earth.

CordedWhelp
03-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Clearly "Germanic"- although I do sometimes wonder about the Cimbri.The Cimbri/Cimbrians were native to Jutland (aka Cimbria) prior to the arrival of the Danes proper...although that is not to say they all picked up and left and it would make sense they became integrated. Some theorize they were a celtic tribe (occasionally there's even a connection made between "Cimbri" and "Cymru"), others say Germanic.

Ctwentysevenj
06-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Of course they are Germanic and probably the blondest of all the Germanic countries as evident of this picture of Danish students

http://www.theoakleafnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/f74f7785-fae6-40e6-85f1-c9d54bf67741-1024x632.jpg

Ctwentysevenj
06-11-2015, 09:18 AM
Danish and dutch are the most germanic people on earth.

And the South Tyrolese!

Grace O'Malley
06-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Danes are Germanic. They have a Germanic language and culture.

XvThomas_LysergicV
06-11-2015, 10:50 AM
I don't know a lot about the Danish and their genetic history. Before today,i've never really seen them as Germanic. Denmark is a Scandinavian country so I've always thought of them as Nordic. I guess they're both. They do speak a Germanic language after all. Maybe all Nordic people are Germanic and Nordic is just a cultural term.

Stimpy
06-11-2015, 11:21 AM
They're pretty much as Germanic as you can get.

All Germanic people (at least the part of their ancestry that actually makes them Germanic), originates in Southern Scandinavia. A less confusing, more accurate term would actually be ''Scandinavic'', not ''Germanic''-

http://www.worldology.com/Europe/images/ancient_europe_germanic.jpg

Neon Knight
06-11-2015, 01:17 PM
I would go further and say they are the central Germanics, for which another term is Teutonic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Roman_Empire_125.png

Genetically speaking, we cannot say that all Germanic speakers were/are equally Germanic - we have to pick a central population, and Danes seem the logical choice.

Anglojew
06-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Yes. The definition of Germanic.

aherne
06-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Of course they are Germanic and probably the blondest of all the Germanic countries as evident of this picture of Danish students

http://www.theoakleafnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/f74f7785-fae6-40e6-85f1-c9d54bf67741-1024x632.jpg

All of women have dyed hair. Their natural hair color is same as the undyed guy on the right (look at eyebrows). Only the girl in the middle is probably dark blond...

Septentrion
10-19-2017, 09:28 PM
LOL what a question. Danes are one of the most Germanic people of today along side Norwegians and Swedes.
Sure they are! However they are not the most Germanic people on the face of the earth. It's the Dutch.