PDA

View Full Version : Anglophile, Which nation do you prefer, UK or US?

Deneb
08-01-2015, 08:58 PM
The UK and the US have been the greatest nations in modern history imo, the ones I admire more, as it was Athens in antiquity, so my soul is divided.

In favour of UK: less social inequality, less religiosity
In favour of US: more meritocracy, more diversity.

Against UK: more classism, monarchy.
Against US: too many weapons.

Overall I'd choose the US, its democracy is truer imo. What's your opinion?

Styrian Mujo
08-01-2015, 09:00 PM
I guess Canada is the best of both worlds then.

♥ Lily ♥
08-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Why isn't Australia, NZ and Canada included?

glicine max
08-01-2015, 09:11 PM
new zealand :sad: they have a nice nature

Deneb
08-01-2015, 09:17 PM

Nothing wrong with those countries, but are irrelevant.

♥ Lily ♥
08-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Nothing wrong with those countries, but are irrelevant.

Why are these great and impressive nations 'irrelevant' when they're part of the Anglosphere nations and these nations have high education standards, high living standards, good general healthcare, etc?! Australia was voted as the most happiest nation in the world and voted as the best place to live with the second highest quality of life in the world after Norway.

Australia and the UK both have top 5 student cities in the world, along with Boston in the US. Canada ranks very highly for quality of life too, clean cities, low crime rates, etc. The wildlife and nature in huge nations like Australia and Canada is vast and impressive (I love the look of koalas, although the spiders they have there look scary), but New Zealand has a varied landscape within 2 small islands; clean beaches, mountains, cities, etc, all in close proximity on the 2 very beautiful islands there. It's where the UK film The Lord of The Rings was filmed. New England has a good standard of life for people in the US, especially regions like Vermont.

Canada has a nice cool climate and high living standards and excellent quality of life. Australia is beautiful and the people are friendly and have a great sense of humour that I love about Aussies, but it would be far too hot there for my liking and skin type. I like to have 4 different seasons and celebrate Yule in the Winter, not in the Summer (it's Summer in Australia during December so how can they celebrate the Yuletide and Winter Solstice (xmas) in December there?) I'm scared at the thought of bush fires, deadly spiders, skin cancer, sharks, etc. I don't think they have earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, or any deadly spiders crawling around in Canada and their cities are green and have low pollution.

I like cities that are rich in cultural heritage sites and have lots of old as well as modern architecture and lots of culture, green spaces, garden centres, museums, art galleries, parks, and I love rainy weather. I'm happy where I am though; the weather is mostly mild without hurricanes, no tornadoes, no extreme heat or extreme snow, no earthquakes, etc, and no deadly spiders here, and I like the mixture of old and new, as well as being in a convenient location to quickly travel to other European cities and countries.

Deneb
08-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Why are they irrelevant when they're part of the Anglosphere nations and those nations have high education standards, high living standards, good general healthcare, etc. Australia was voted as the most happiest nation in the world and voted as the best place to live with the second highest quality of life in the world after Norway. Australia and the UK both have top 5 student cities in the world. Canada ranks very highly for quality of life too, clean cities, low crime rates, etc.

It's true, but those nations are far from the US and the UK in military power and economic significance.

Deneb
08-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought of NZ as a provincial place.

♥ Lily ♥
08-01-2015, 09:45 PM
It's true, but those nations are far from the US and the UK in military power and economic significance.

Military power isn't everything in life, although having strong defences is important. It's nicer for people to have a green and clean environment, good air quality, clean cities, low crime rates, good healthcare, education and good living standards for all, rather than spending the nations taxes on weapons of mass destruction. Canada, Australia and NZ are well-protected though as they're Commonwealth Nations and part of the Anglosphere and the UK and US would come to their defence if they needed help if anyone dared to attack them.

The population of the UK is more than the populations of Canada, Australia and NZ combined, so they have more space for people in those nations.

wvwvw
08-01-2015, 09:48 PM
I really like the US, the accents, the different states, the people. One of my favorite countries.

Brasileiro
08-01-2015, 09:49 PM
America.

Deneb
08-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Military power isn't everything in life. It's better to have a green and clean environment, good air quality, clean cities, low crime rates, good healthcare, education and good living standards for all, rather than spending the nations taxes on weapons of mass destruction.

I agree. Although the US wouldn't had won the WW2 without invest huge amounts of dollars in armament.

Ryujin
08-01-2015, 09:53 PM
The US. It's the cradle of freedom and individual liberty. That's what it was founded upon anyway. Many freedom-seeker communities migrated there for a new life. It's history is quite interesting and I enjoy studying it.

Deneb
08-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I really like the US, the accents, the different states, the people. One of my favorite countries.

I really share your feelings.

♥ Lily ♥
08-01-2015, 10:03 PM
I agree. Although the US wouldn't had won the WW2 without invest huge amounts of dollars in armament.

Germany was defeated during WW2 as a world effort against Germany, which included air forces, navies and militaries from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe and Russia too, not just from the US. I think Russia's contribution in defeating the Nazis is forgotten about or undermined, whilst the west takes all the praise and credit for themselves.

In terms of the US and UK, both have their positive and negative attributes. I think they have less of a CCTV police state in the US and more freedom of speech there, although higher rates of gun crimes like secondary school shootings. The UK has a lot of heritage and cultural sites, as well as modern architecture, and we have a free NHS healthcare system for all, but it's a CCTV* police state controlled by the EU and being Islamified and it's more oppressive and under a monarchy system with less social equality. On the positive side, the UK isn't a very religious nation.

*The UK has more CCTV cameras watching people than any other nation in the world and it can feel like an invasion of peoples privacy as there's even CCTV cameras watching children in the school toilets. There's CCTV in so many angles watching people in the streets, roads, underpasses, shops, public toilets, on the buses, elevators, tube stations, restaurants, parks... everywhere you go in London there's cameras in a lot of different angles watching you and they can zoom in close, etc, and the UK government wants to invest millions more in tax-money on CCTV.

Proctor
08-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Is this really a thread where people aren't complaining about the US for once?!?! I must be dreaming

Sockorer
08-01-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm probably biased. I like the US better.

We're way better Anglos than the UK.

Just look at how pathetic the UK is, they have banned guns and even have restrictions on the purchasing of SILVERWARE. They have a way bigger and more bloated nanny state than the US. They ban politically incorrect speech. They have open borders and are slaves to EU. And they were the ones that voted for this stuff, not third world untermensch slaves.

♥ Lily ♥
08-02-2015, 02:47 AM
I think it also depends on a few factors:

1.) The area of a country you live in - there's nice areas and bad areas in both nations, but the US is massive compared to the small island of Great Britain, so you'll have a lot more choices in the US.

2.) The type of climate you like (the US has a varied landscape and different types of climates in the north and south, so again, you're more likely to find a place that suits your preferences there). The weather is mostly grey, often cold and rainy in the UK which is great for people like me who love it, but I understand not everyone likes it.

3.) The type of culture and political environment you like, (the UK voting system sucks, our government sucks, our monarchy sucks, the EU sucks, Islamisation sucks, the drinking culture and football fan violence sucks, no UK immigration border control under the EU, too much CCTV, less freedom in the UK - a slave state of the EU.) Oh and another thing; the UK justice system is a farce because somebody could murder a person in the UK and get out of prison in 10 years or less, whereas a life sentence in the US means just that.

4.) The cost of food, petrol, parking, road congestion charges and general living costs in the UK is expensive, so you'll get a larger house, etc, for less money in the US. Your money will buy you more things there.

5.) I'd rather have Obama as a leader than Cameron. Obama helps the people in his country with things like Obama Care, whereas Cameron causes suffering and austerity cuts.

I think to be honest it would have to be the US. Although I prefer to live in the UK because this is my home and I think I would feel out-of-place living in a country where I wasn't born and raised, far from my relatives, etc.

Gooding
08-02-2015, 03:26 AM
I really can't make a comparison, as I've lived in the United States all my life. I love my country. All my family's here, I went to school here, I grew up here and had my education here. My heritage is here and it has been here since before 1783. My friends are here, my job's here.

ÁGUIA
08-02-2015, 03:30 AM
I prefer the UK .

♥ Lily ♥
08-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Another good thing about the US is that they're not into soccer.

I love it when England's national Wembley Stadium is used for music concerts and for NFL American Football games where US teams perform at the stadium. The English football fans hate it cos they arrogantly think the massive stadium should only be used for themselves and only for football, but I love it as it shows soccer fans that there's much better things than soccer, such as American Football and huge music concerts.

I'd love it so much if more people went to watch the NFL American Football games than the soccer games at Wembley. :D

I often refer to football now as 'soccer' to distance myself from it as I hate it. Soccer often encourages hatred for people who live in another city (or even in a different part of a city where there's more than one club), racism, violence, hooliganism, etc, and the stupid fans will even kill each other over a stupid game of some men kicking a ball, and people stupidly take pride in it and say 'we won' when they're not even the ones playing, and the players in the team are often from another country anyway whilst they're taking pride in it. It's so stupid.

I'm pleased that countries like the US, Canada, Australia and NZ aren't into soccer. American and Canadian sports like hockey and baseball (similar to England's game of rounders) and basketball are better, even though I don't watch any sports or olympics. The atmosphere of American Football isn't crazy and as obsessive like soccer fans tend to be. That's an Americanisation I'm happy with in London at the moment, along with NBA basketball from America being played at the O2 Arena in London, and the NHL Hockey league games at the O2 in London. American sports are better.

I'm convinced that the worst invention in England was soccer.

Raikaswinþs
08-03-2015, 10:57 PM

and South Africa, Ireland and the Anglocaribean countries

Raikaswinþs
08-03-2015, 10:59 PM
If I have to choose an Anglosphere country, I would choose the US over all the others any day of the week. But I can't really choose, so Scotland before anything south of the Tweed...those pesky Englishmen and their halal foods...

Graham
08-03-2015, 11:07 PM
America has thousands of White Castles. Britain has thousands of Castles.

Shah-Jehan
08-03-2015, 11:13 PM

Are you even English?

themrdude1990
08-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Australia by far

Dandelion
08-03-2015, 11:21 PM
The UK and the US have been the greatest nations in modern history imo, the ones I admire more, as it was Athens in antiquity, so my soul is divided.

In favour of UK: less social inequality, less religiosity
In favour of US: more meritocracy, more diversity.

Against UK: more classism, monarchy.
Against US: too many weapons.

Overall I'd choose the US, its democracy is truer imo. What's your opinion?

I wonder which of both is the most PC. Anglo cultures seem notorious for it. It's my main criticism for them. The idea that there's a right 'not to be offended' (at least if you're a minority).

Armand_Duval
08-03-2015, 11:21 PM
1.- UK.

2.-USA.

3.-Canada.

Dandelion
08-03-2015, 11:26 PM
The US. It's the cradle of freedom and individual liberty. That's what it was founded upon anyway. Many freedom-seeker communities migrated there for a new life. It's history is quite interesting and I enjoy studying it.

Sometimes it's a bit ironic too. This was before the American Revolution though, but some religious nutters, the Puritans, had to flee religious persecution because they didn't have the right to impose their religion upon others in Europe. So they crossed the Atlantic to be able to fully enjoy their religious freedom, their freedom to repress others in theirs. :)
This is also a bit why the US are more religious, because Europe bullied out their fanatics. Of course, the harsh conditions the pioneers had to live in probably also contributed to this.

Graham
08-03-2015, 11:39 PM
If America is so free. Why does it have the largest prison population in the world?

XvThomas_LysergicV
08-03-2015, 11:43 PM
UK>Australia>US>New Zealand>Canada

Deneb
08-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Sometimes it's a bit ironic too. This was before the American Revolution though, but some religious nutters, the Puritans, had to flee religious persecution because they didn't have the right to impose their religion upon others in Europe. So they crossed the Atlantic to be able to fully enjoy their religious freedom, their freedom to repress others in theirs. :)
This is also a bit why the US are more religious, because Europe bullied out their fanatics. Of course, the harsh conditions the pioneers had to live in probably also contributed to this.

Well ok, although later the US became the most perfect example of religious diversity.

Neon Knight
08-03-2015, 11:45 PM
If America is so free. Why does it have the largest prison population in the world?

I get the impression they have a more religious attitude to right and wrong. Some of the sentences given are extremely harsh.

Ryujin
08-03-2015, 11:52 PM

Yea, these puritans and other so-called freedom-seekers religious communities turned out to be total bigots later oppressing women, other races and such. But still, American citizens managed to pull through it succesfully, and they made a perfect constitution out of it.

Sockorer
08-03-2015, 11:56 PM

Because like 35% of the US population is Black or Mestizo and our police actually enforce the law.

Havomrak
08-04-2015, 12:27 AM

I love it when England's national Wembley Stadium is used for music concerts and for NFL American Football games where US teams perform at the stadium. The English football fans hate it cos they arrogantly think the massive stadium should only be used for themselves and only for football, but I love it as it shows soccer fans that there's much better things than soccer, such as American Football and huge music concerts.

I'd love it so much if more people went to watch the NFL American Football games than the soccer games at Wembley. :D

I often refer to football now as 'soccer' to distance myself from it as I hate it. Soccer often encourages hatred for people who live in another city (or even in a different part of a city where there's more than one club), racism, violence, hooliganism, etc, and the stupid fans will even kill each other over a stupid game of some men kicking a ball, and people stupidly take pride in it and say 'we won' when they're not even the ones playing, and the players in the team are often from another country anyway whilst they're taking pride in it. It's so stupid.

I'm pleased that countries like the US, Canada, Australia and NZ aren't into soccer. American and Canadian sports like hockey and baseball (similar to England's game of rounders) and basketball are better, even though I don't watch any sports or olympics. The atmosphere of American Football isn't crazy and as obsessive like soccer fans tend to be. That's an Americanisation I'm happy with in London at the moment, along with NBA basketball from America being played at the O2 Arena in London, and the NHL Hockey league games at the O2 in London. American sports are better.

I'm convinced that the worst invention in England was soccer.

Let's see this from another point of view. Football is an oportunity of life to people that live in poor areas, and the integration between fans and the joy that it gives is much bigger than the violence. It's the most popular sport in Europe, Africa, South America (and is growing so much in the US), and nothing is bigger than the World Cup. Football is an entertainment for people too, only a few assholes use this sport as an excuse for violence, racism, etc. It doesn’t matter which language you speak, football is a great way to get to know people from all around the world, anyone can play and have fun watching. It's not only kicking a ball, in football you need to cover, body control, tackle without making a foul, tactics, shooting accuracy, ball control, heading accuracy, man to man marking ability, ability to beat defenders, defending ability, quick reflex, stamina, ability to control, shoot with your feet, and much more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du_rFmfiOCA

zhaoyun
08-04-2015, 12:46 AM
Britain is nice. London's a great city, very cosmopolitan, great history and culture.

But come on. Is this even a competition?

US hands down.

Cody Gearhart
08-04-2015, 12:49 AM
The US was originally a republic. It's even in the Pledge of Allegiance: For the Republic and for which it stands. But if i had to choose it's sort of neck and neck for me. I'd choose the US.

Gooding
08-04-2015, 01:08 AM

Because our idiot youths tend to confuse freedom with lawlessness. The United States of America is by no means as free as it was even in the early twentieth century. Oh yeah, the size of our country might have something to do with the resulting size of our prison populace.

Gooding
08-04-2015, 01:11 AM
our police actually enforce the law.

That probably has something to do with it, too. :thumb001:

de Burgh II
08-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Honestly, I don't really see any difference; a country is a country at the end of the day.

:mmmm:

Gooding
08-04-2015, 01:46 AM
Honestly, I don't really see any difference; a country is a country at the end of the day.

:mmmm:

Indeed. At the end of the day, both the United States of America and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland have their positive points and their endemic flaws. There is no such thing as utopia on this earth, but certain areas are easier to live in. The advantages of living in the United States, which are by no means exclusive to living in the United States, but they do exist here, include: modern conveniences, a great latitude of freedom of choice and expression, a high educational standard, many colonial cultures that have been kept and adapted since colonial times, the Pennsylvania Dutch, the Scotch- Irish of Appalachia, the Cajun/ Creole subcultures of Louisiana, the Tejano population of Texas, the Anglo- Saxon Southern culture of the Southeast, the Yankee culture of New England, the newer German, Scandinavian and Slavic cultures of the Upper Midwest, the Chinese/Japanese/ Korean/Vietnamese/Filipino cultures of the Northeast and the Pacific coast and the Hawaiian culture are kept thriving. Native American culture is maintained in the borders of this country, too, as is the African- American culture you can see in the Carolina and Georgia Sea Islands. Italian, Jewish, Irish and French Canadian culture you also can find in the cities and along the U.S./ Canadian border and nobody can deny that the huge influx of Latino immigrants in recent years has given the United States a very Central/ South American and Caribbean flavor.
Some might say that we are a land of too much diversity and a resultant tribalization might lead to certain social conflicts. That's always a risk and you can see a dynamic that lends credence to that thought, but you can also see a vigor of cultural preservation that is enhanced by the cultures that compete in various ways. I am a Virginian, an American who can speak of such advantages because he's lived with it. I have never even been to Britain and I am of the opinion that only those who have been raised and educated in the United Kingdom are best qualified to speak of their advantages.