PDA

View Full Version : Hellasson's Bi-Monthly Neofolk Reccomendation! (August)

Baron Samedi
08-06-2010, 07:47 PM
*Ahem*

Hello everyone.....

My intent for this new series is to educate and entertain the various denizens of the Apricity.

I would like to facilitate IN-DEPTH discussion on these artists and their songs, much like those that appreciate fine art would discuss various paintings, sonatas, etc....

Without further ado.... The first album of this month.....

Agalloch's "The White EP"

http://www.orble.com/images/agalloch-the-white-ep.jpg

Easily one of the more "entry-level" Neofolk albums one could ever listen to.... Agalloch's popularity with the shoegaze/indie/post-metal crowd was expanded to those who are of more folk-music orientation with this EP.

Don't let the term EP fool you, though... There is some serious musical aptitude displayed on this record, and it's best listened to at this time of the year when summertime is dying down, and the initial chilly decay of Autumn will soon come to pass.....

I will have more of an analysis of the rest of the EP later on.... Till then, enjoy this one....

hJrE_rVAWbk

Aaaand.....

9GE0G6dB0OQ

Psychonaut
08-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Easily one of the more "entry-level" Neofolk albums one could ever listen to...There is some serious musical aptitude displayed on this record...

Nail on the head. They achieved something really remarkable with the White in making a Neofolk album that is strikingly accessible to those outside the scene (we lose sight of how creepy/crazy/strange our music is sometimes) while at the same time being a musically mature series of compositions—not only for the group, but for the genre as a whole. And, technical aspects aside, I can hardly think of an album that reeks with as authentic of a Heathen feel as this one. :thumbs up