PDA

View Full Version : Humans 'subconsciously mimic other accents', psychologists claim

Treffie
08-07-2010, 03:26 PM
People who interact with a person with a different accent subconsciously mimic their twang because they want to “empathise” with their conversation partner, psychologists claim.

American researchers have found human brains imitate the speech patterns of other people, even complete strangers, without meaning to.

They say a humans want to “bond” with others, even when a voice cannot be heard or, somewhat embarrassingly, even if another person is a foreigner.

Scientists from the University of California, Riverside, found the subconscious copying of an accent comes from an inbuilt urge of the brain to “empathise and affiliate”.

Their findings, reported in the journal Attention, Perception and Psychophysics, concluded this happens when we cannot hear what is being said but are simply lip-reading.

“Humans are incessant imitators,” said Prof Lawrence Rosenblum, a psychologist who led the study:

"We intentionally imitate subtle aspects of each other's mannerisms, postures and facial expressions.

"We also imitate each other's speech patterns, including inflections, talking speed and speaking time.”

He added: "Sometimes we even take on the foreign accent of the person to whom we are talking, leading to embarrassing consequences."

His team led a lip-reading experiment among a group of volunteers, who all had good hearing but no formal lip-reading experience.

They asked them to watch various people mouthing a selection of 80 simple words from tennis to cabbage without sound.

The volunteers were then given a choice of two words, one right and one wrong, and asked to repeat back what they thought was the word being said silently.

But they were not asked to imitate or impersonate the talker, rather just repeat the word.

The study concluded that they were more likely to repeat the word in the same accent used by the speaker rather than their own accent.

"Whether we are hearing or lip-reading speech articulations, a talker's speaking style has subtle influences on our own manner of speaking,” Prof Rosenblum said.

"This unintentional imitation could serve as social glue, helping us to affiliate and empathise with each other."

Lip-reading experts say it is possible to “see” accents in the lip movements of other people.

Previous studies have found a person can have a subconscious desire to copy gestures or speech patterns of others they are having conversation with.

But sometimes imitating someone else’s accent can lead to embarrassing consequences.

Source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7931299/Humans-subconsciously-mimic-other-accents-psychologists-claim.html)

anonymaus
08-07-2010, 04:14 PM
People who interact with a person with a different accent subconsciously mimic their twang because they want to “empathise” with their conversation partner, psychologists claim.

Be warned: some people have been aware of this for a very long time, and imitate in order to subdue and influence others. This sort of false behavioral empathy also includes matched breathing and forced eye contact.

It makes people very amenable and pliable.

Liffrea
08-07-2010, 04:23 PM
If it’s my nephew, who seems to think he is an American black born in Queen’s, I tend to emphasise correct English pronunciation and word order until he become annoyed and buggers off.

If it’s Geordies I have no idea what you’re saying and I have no intention of finding out.

If it’s Scousers I hate your accent and I’m likely to run away as fast as I can.

If it’s Welsh people I’m likely to be wearing water proofs and so cannot hear you anyway, at least I’m protected from the saliva.:D:p

If you’re female and have an Irish, French or German accent I’m not likely to care what you’re saying as I’m turned on. I don't know why, I guess French is traditional but Irish and German really do it for me.:confused:

Piparskeggr
08-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I'll agree with Anonymaus...I do this deliberately in connection with the sales aspects of my job.

Sahson
08-07-2010, 04:39 PM
If it’s my nephew, who seems to think he is an American black born in Queen’s, I tend to emphasise correct English pronunciation and word order until he become annoyed and buggers off.

If it’s Geordies I have no idea what you’re saying and I have no intention of finding out.

If it’s Scousers I hate your accent and I’m likely to run away as fast as I can.

If it’s Welsh people I’m likely to be wearing water proofs and so cannot hear you anyway, at least I’m protected from the saliva.:D:p

If you’re female and have an Irish, French or German accent I’m not likely to care what you’re saying as I’m turned on. I don't know why, I guess French is traditional but Irish and German really do it for me.:confused:

irish, and french i can understand, but a german? are you an engineer by chance? :D

Scouser aint bad, its quite attractive among the women speakers, and Im from yorkshire. I find a scot womens accent intriguing too, in fact i find a scot far more understandable then a geordie.

Liffrea
08-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Daguerreo
irish, and french i can understand, but a german? are you an engineer by chance?

Probably watched too much Allo Allo as a lad, the blonde bird flashing her stocking tops does strange things to a teenagers mind.

Scouser aint bad, its quite attractive among the women speakers,

I can’t abide it nor Brummie.

and Im from yorkshire. I find a scot womens accent intriguing too, in fact i find a scot far more understandable then a geordie.

I don’t mind Scots the Erewash dialect isn’t a million miles from Scots, there is sort of a linguistic cline from the East Midlands through into Scotland.

Grumpy Cat
08-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I can't mimic accents speaking English at all, but French, I do, and I pick it up. Back when I worked for a Canadian telecommunications company I used to deal with a lot of Quebecois and I picked up their accent big time, even though I was just dealing with them for 40 hours a week. I even spent some time in Texas, and dealing with Texans, for that job and I didn't pick up the Texan accent speaking English, it only happens in French.

Yes, and when I speak to someone from France I pick up their accent and also pick up the accents of different Acadian communities I visit.

SwordoftheVistula
08-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Even though I try not to do this, I catch myself doing this often.

I can't mimic accents speaking English at all

Not entirely true, your sig disproves this ;) though that is more of a subculture than regional 'dialect'

Treffie
08-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Be warned: some people have been aware of this for a very long time, and imitate in order to subdue and influence others. This sort of false behavioral empathy also includes matched breathing and forced eye contact.

Sounds like Neuro-linguistic programming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming) and other pseudo psychological sciences.

SwordoftheVistula
08-08-2010, 07:22 AM
forced eye contact.

Anyone that tries to force eye contact on me makes me extremely uncomfortable, makes me think 'punch this person in the face' or 'run away!'

Piparskeggr
08-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Anyone that tries to force eye contact on me makes me extremely uncomfortable, makes me think 'punch this person in the face' or 'run away!'

I think what helps me be a good merchant (I dislike salesmen), is not just adjusting my voice, but also reading a person's body language to adjust my behavior into their comfort zone...eye contact, social space, vocabulary I use, anecdotes exchanged...even if the customer is expecting a handshake at the end of the transaction.

I prefer being thought of as a merchant because I engage the customer in conversation to try and find out what they truly need, as opposed to my company's policy of "sell them everything they 'should' have."

Groenewolf
08-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Even if it was someone like her :

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/l/marina_310308/marina_'hot_for_words'_1807437.jpg

anonymaus
08-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Sounds like Neuro-linguistic programming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming) and other pseudo psychological sciences.

It may also sound like Dale Carnegie, but it is neither. Psychopaths consciously engage in this behavior as a tool of survival. It works.