PDA

View Full Version : The Saxon found Norman ancestry.

Gooding
08-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Yes, I did. The Baird family, of Kilmarnock, Scotland and later of Strabane, County Tyrone, Ireland, apparently descends from one Siegneur de Bayard who accompanied William the Conqueror to England to wreak some havoc on the Saxons. They settled Northumberland before a branch of them went over to Scotland in the twelfth century. Their lands in Normandy were Fontenay le Tesson, given to the Abbey of Barberie. A lot of politics goes into the early history of the Bairds, as apparently one of them was pardoned by Longshanks during the time of William Wallace and another was given lands by Robert the Bruce. Ultimately, my great grandmother, Bertha Baird, came of this line. Her mother, Mary Ann Perkins, descended from Pierre de Morlaix. Pierre's grandson was apparently the first Perkins and Pierre himself was descended from the Celtic tribes akin to the Welsh ( read, Breton). I originally thought that the Cornetts might be Anglo- Norman as well, but as the name was originally Canute, apparently the name was originally Anglo- Danish. I'm sure my Anglo- Saxon ancestors have been busy drinking themselves blind to deal with their laughing Anglo- Norman kin...