PDA

View Full Version : Singapore marks 50 years of independence

silver_surfer
08-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Published on 7 Aug 2015
Singapore has come far in 50 years. It is now a global financial hub and no. 7 economy in the world. When Singapore separated from Malaysia, it was expected to fail but instead, it went from a colonial backwater to an economic powerhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxy3bhJX0D4

Deneb
08-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Well done.

zhaoyun
08-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Perfect example of how culture makes all the difference. Singapore is a majority Han Chinese state in Southeast Asia, and is by far the most developed. Not a coincidence.

Hydromorphone
08-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Singapore was an 'experiment' in many regards, and it turned out to be overwhelmingly successful in every aspect. Every other social or economic model that has failed in other countries, Singapore took, reinvented it and modified it to work for their land and people, and succeeded. Nowhere else in the history of humankind, over the thousands upon thousands of years of our existence, have we seen such an incredible rise to social, political, and economic prosperity. Imagine being born and living as a child in a very poor area (think rural southeast asia), and by the end of your lifetime at 80 or 90, you are living in the same conditions as someone from modern Japan, Hong Kong, Europe, and so on, with a highly developed society in every regards to human development.

It should be celebrated for what it has done and what it will do, as well as the wisdom of powerful, unique, and innovative cultures and what they can do if allowed to properly spread and prosper.

silver_surfer
08-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Singapore was an 'experiment' in many regards, and it turned out to be overwhelmingly successful in every aspect. Every other social or economic model that has failed in other countries, Singapore took, reinvented it and modified it to work for their land and people, and succeeded. Nowhere else in the history of humankind, over the thousands upon thousands of years of our existence, have we seen such an incredible rise to social, political, and economic prosperity. Imagine being born and living as a child in a very poor area (think rural southeast asia), and by the end of your lifetime at 80 or 90, you are living in the same conditions as someone from modern Japan, Hong Kong, Europe, and so on, with a highly developed society in every regards to human development.

It should be celebrated for what it has done and what it will do, as well as the wisdom of powerful, unique, and innovative cultures and what they can do if allowed to properly spread and prosper.

Adding to what you already said, Singapore have the honor of being in the epicentre of the world's most heavily traveled trade route-the Malacca straits. The existence of Singapore as an important trade center has been established since colonial times and the current economy takes advantage of the nation's desirable location to sell itself as a 'gateway' to Asia.
Thanks to extremely liberal business laws, an efficient government sector and a relatively corruption-free bureaucracy, its a great place to set up your Asian headquarters. The latent effects of British colonialism has resulted in a society which speaks English as a first language and one that places a premium on education, resulting in a highly-educated workforce.
In short- its a great place to do business because of its location, laws, government and history. (:

Deneb
08-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Adding to what you already said, Singapore have the honor of being in the epicentre of the world's most heavily traveled trade route-the Malacca straits. The existence of Singapore as an important trade center has been established since colonial times and the current economy takes advantage of the nation's desirable location to sell itself as a 'gateway' to Asia.
Thanks to extremely liberal business laws, an efficient government sector and a relatively corruption-free bureaucracy, its a great place to set up your Asian headquarters. The latent effects of British colonialism has resulted in a society which speaks English as a first language and one that places a premium on education, resulting in a highly-educated workforce.
In short- its a great place to do business because of its location, laws, government and history. (:

And don't forget it: meritocracy too.

Goujian
08-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Perfect example of how culture makes all the difference. Singapore is a majority Han Chinese state in Southeast Asia, and is by far the most developed. Not a coincidence.

Only Lee Kwan Yew is the only Singaporean I respect. He knew what it was like being raised in England. Ungrateful singawhoreans should thank Lee Kuan Yew for putting Singapore on the map. Most ethnic Chinese over there and in Malaysia are some of the most self-hating people you will ever meet. They hate everything about China and put anything non-Chinese on a pedestal as long as it's not brown or black. The girls there, mainly the ethnic Chinese girls act like the biggest whores for non-Chinese men. Indians and Malays there have more self-respect for themselves, even though I still laugh my ass off at concepts like 'Nazi Malay power malay pride world wide 88". To me they are not truly Chinese because their minds have been mentally colonized by decades if not centuries of self-hate. HK, Taiwan and overseas 'Chinese' grills from SEA are closest to most mainstream Asian-American women. Not surprisingly most of their men are the biggest cucks and worst betas. I hate to say this, but even Filipinos have more dignity than them. Sure they can speak English and are more westernized in culture, but they are on average they have more shitty people to deal with than in China.

zhaoyun
08-13-2015, 04:19 PM
Only Lee Kwan Yew is the only Singaporean I respect. He knew what it was like being raised in England. Ungrateful singawhoreans should thank Lee Kuan Yew for putting Singapore on the map. Most ethnic Chinese over there and in Malaysia are some of the most self-hating people you will ever meet. They hate everything about China and put anything non-Chinese on a pedestal as long as it's not brown or black. The girls there, mainly the ethnic Chinese girls act like the biggest whores for non-Chinese men. Indians and Malays there have more self-respect for themselves, even though I still laugh my ass off at concepts like 'Nazi Malay power malay pride world wide 88". To me they are not truly Chinese because their minds have been mentally colonized by decades if not centuries of self-hate. HK, Taiwan and overseas 'Chinese' grills from SEA are closest to most mainstream Asian-American women. Not surprisingly most of their men are the biggest cucks and worst betas. I hate to say this, but even Filipinos have more dignity than them. Sure they can speak English and are more westernized in culture, but they are on average they have more shitty people to deal with than in China.

All that is just temporary. The bottom line, these people worship wealth and power. Eventually the PRC will come to dominate all of Asia in every way. That'd probably arise in the next 20 years. When that time comes, all the Taiwanese, HKers and Singaporeans will be associating themselves with the Mainland.

Selurong
08-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Singapore is a model to the rest to the world. However, sometimes mostly unaplicabble. Singapore is a city state with an easily manageable population, in the middle of the strait of Malacca the busiest maritime chokepoint in the world.

I sometimes think those factors which other nations don't have means that Singapore's case cannot be replicated in other countries.