PDA

View Full Version : Unregistered Dentist smoked during Dental work on a patient

Ctwentysevenj
08-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Dentist smoked during nine consecutive root canals, court hears
ASHLEY ARGOON HERALD SUN AUGUST 13, 2015 11:05AM SHARE

Ads By Google
ERP For BusinessGet A Fully Integrated System For That Competitive Edge. Call Us Now!www.unit4apac.com

Backyard dentist Muhammet Velipasaoglu has faced Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court. Picture: Kris Reichl
A BACKYARD dentist who treated hundreds of patients while unregistered and smoked cigarettes during surgery has pleaded guilty.

Broadmeadows Magistrate Court heard Muhammad Velipasaoglu smoked, spoke on the phone, didn’t wear a face mask or gloves and had unwashed hands while performing nine consecutive root canals on a young woman.

MORE: BLOOD TESTS FOR BACKYARD DENTAL PATIENTS

The self proclaimed “dentist for 45 years” treated patients out of his Meadow Heights home under the guise of a registered practitioner for 12 years.

Dental tools used by Muhammet Velipasaoglu.

A bin of syringes found in the surgery.
An investigation was launched after a 22-year-old disability support pensioner complained of such severe infection she couldn’t eat, drink or sleep after surgery in March.

In the horrific case, the woman was asked to hold the suction herself during root canal surgery and gave evidence Mr Velipasaoglu “dropped several of his tools, picked them up and continued performing the procedures with the dropped instruments”.

She said the room contained used syringes in a conventional bin, blood stained cotton wool, fragments of temporary crowns and sharps in a vase of water with a sponge.

The woman paid $1500 in cash for the treatment, which days later caused severe pain and discomfort.

She is still receiving corrective and restorative dental work.

The Department of Health and Human Services said through a spokesman it had received more than 150 calls from people who were treated by the unregistered dentist at his home.

The department provided patients with information and advice about blood borne infections.

A bin found in the surgery.
Mr Velipasaoglu, 65, pleaded guilty to 17 charges including posing as a registered practitioner, using a protected title, carrying out dental acts and possessing schedule four drugs.

The Commonwealth offences do not carry a jail penalty.

He is now unemployed with no assets except equity in his Meadow Heights house and two cars worth $4,000.

In sentencing, Deputy Chief Magistrate Robert Kumar said he would have sent him to prison “but my hands are virtually tied”.

“If I had the ability and if I had the power to impose a term of imprisonment, I would have imposed it,” Mr Kumar told Mr Velipasaoglu through a translator.

“If you look at the photographs ... I’m not surprised this woman, who paid $1500 for this service you were not registered to give, did suffer as she did.”

Mr Velipasaoglu was fined $20,000, ordered to pay $13,137 in costs and do 250 hours unpaid community work.

The case comes as the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) continue investigations into three practices over concerns of unregistered dentists.

Search warrants had been executed at three properties in Meadow Heights and Roxburgh Park by late June.

But Deputy Chief Magistrate Kumar said had Mr Velipasaoglu not pleaded guilty, the punishment would have been more severe - a $50,000 fine and 350 hours unpaid work.

Outside court, Mr Velipasaoglu agreed he was apologetic to his patients.

More than 80 of his patients contacted health authorities with concerns after the Department of Health raised fears of infectious diseases and blood borne viruses.

Mr Velipasaoglu trained as a dentist in Turkey but his qualifications were not recognised when he came to Australia with his wife and two children in 2000.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/08/13/1227481/705935-5057af28-4153-11e5-a555-0b30f8ebd200.jpg

Ctwentysevenj
08-13-2015, 08:00 AM
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2015/08/13/1227481/845080-d63489de-415a-11e5-91d1-7a17ec48b9e9.jpg

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2015/08/13/1227481/844224-e0ed5676-415a-11e5-91d1-7a17ec48b9e9.jpg

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2015/08/13/1227481/709000-d588dcd8-415a-11e5-91d1-7a17ec48b9e9.jpg

Anglojew
08-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Wow what a light sentence. The justice system here is a joke.

A guy I know used to go to him. He knew he was unregistered and did it to save money but I could see it seemed like an accident waiting to happen to me.

Ctwentysevenj
08-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Wow what a light sentence. The justice system here is a joke.

A guy I know used to go to him. He knew he was unregistered and did it to save money but I could see it seemed like an accident waiting to happen to me.

According to the news article, because the offence comes under Commonwealth offences, is the reason the Magistrate cannot jail him. How is this guy you know, his teeth.