PDA

View Full Version : Why you should get AncestryDNA over 23andme

sql
08-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Hello, I am here to tell you why I recommend AncestryDNA over 23andme.

First of all, AncestyDNA uses the best chip, therefore tests for more and better SNPs giving the best raw data and the most accurate results. The higher quality of the raw data is especially great if you use tools like GEDmatch.

With regards to ethnicity estimate, AncestryDNA gives a superior breakdown for a multitude of reasons. 23andme is vague and general, saying things like "40% broadly European", which is a very disappointing and almost meaningless result. AncestryDNA attempts to break it down more with its "trace regions". AncestryDNA also has superior reference populations. For example, 23andme has 3 Sub-Saharan African reference populations, AncestryDNA has 8.

If you're not Western European or East Asian, your 23andme results will likely be even more general and vague. See what Polk said:

The 23andMe ancestry composition is horrible for Slavs since it radically reduces Eastern European result for us with the fake Balkan category. The Balkans is made up of Eastern Europeans and Mediterranids. I show 50% Eastern European and 50% Mediterranean on AncestryDNA, the same on FTDNA. While on 23andMe I show 85% Southern European and just 6.6% Eastern European! 23andMe is not a good test for Eastern Europeans/Slavs.

Even if you are Western European, you still may have disappointing 23andme results. Check out this Amazon review:

I am so disappointed in 23 and Me! The info and sample results that they show the prospective buyer are much more detailed and specific than what you actually get. Also, they neglect to inform the prospective customer that the results you will get will have 3 views, all of vastly differing accuracy. The results that they label as "Conservative" has an accuracy rate (by their own calculations) of 90%. The other 2 composition views are "Standard", with a 75% accuracy rate, and the third is "Speculative" with a 51% accuracy rate. Accordingly, the details of your genetic ancestry and countries of origin drastically decline with the increase in the accuracy rate. So the "Speculative" composition contains a much more specified and detailed breakdown whereas the much more accurate "Conservative" composition is exceedingly general and broad. So to summarize, the "Conservative" results are the only ones worth anything because the others are too speculative, but conversely, they are also the results that basically don't tell you a damn thing. To illustrate, my "Speculative" results were as follows: 43.8% British & Irish, 15.4% French & German, 8.0% Scandanavian, 0.1% Iberian, 0.7% Broadly Southern European, and 0.1% unassigned. Now compare to my "Conservative" (and much more accurate, although vague, results): 8.5% British & Irish, 54.1% Broadly Northern European, 34.8% Broadly European, and 2.5% unassigned. So basically I paid $108 to find out nothing any more specific than what I already knew-that my ancestry is European, British and Irish. I would not recommend wasting your money and time (you will spend a GREAT deal of time on this) on this or any of 23 and Me's competitors as their accuracy rate and data base is much less than 23 and Me's is.

Although I disagree with him stating that 23andme's competitors are not worth it either, he makes great points on how general and vague their ancestry composition is.

Some people may say that they still want to go with 23andme, because they will soon offer health again, it shows neanderthal ancestry, and its raw data is used in more tools. Well, all of this can be done with AncestryDNA. If you ever need your raw data in 23andme format, here (http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.dnaresearch.generalresearch/1297/mb.ashx) is a tool where you can convert the format. If you're interested in a health report or neanderthal ancestry, use Promethease (http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease).

Now, there is one advantage that 23andme has over AncestryDNA: you can see your haplogroups there. In my opinion, all of AncestryDNA's advantages outweigh this feature from 23andme, however to each their own. I will let you know however, that Promethease will guess your Y-DNA haplogroup from your raw data. It guessed me as J2, and my Geno 2.0 results confirmed that they were correct!

23andme is currently the most popular test because they "got there first". I hope that AncestryDNA is recognized for its superior quality, and I'd love to see more people from all sorts of backgrounds get AncestryDNA and share their results with others.

I hope I helped you choose the right test with this information! Feel free to inquire if you have any questions.

aksakallicocuk
08-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Ancestry DNA is way too better. But i can't have one because of the my countries stupid laws :picard1:

Charles Bronson
08-15-2015, 05:00 PM
---

Is your father the holder of the company, if so then I support it:cool:

sql
08-15-2015, 05:00 PM
Ancestry DNA is way too better. But i can't have one because of the my countries stupid laws :picard1:

Yeah, especially for Turks considering it has both a Caucasian and a Central Asian category, which 23andme lacks.

What are the laws preventing you from getting one? Usually you can get American product shipped to other countries using: https://www.shipito.com/

sql
08-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Is your father the holder of the company, if so then I support it:cool:

Haha, it's not run by the Jews surprisingly enough. It's actually the Mormons who own it! :D

Smitty
08-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Very informative. Thanks.

aksakallicocuk
08-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Yeah, especially for Turks considering it has both a Caucasian and a Central Asian category, which 23andme lacks.

What are the laws preventing you from getting one? Usually you can get American product shipped to other countries using: https://www.shipito.com/

i can have it. But its illegal to send genetic material outside Turkey:picard1:

sql
08-15-2015, 05:05 PM

What a stupid law :picard1:

Charles Bronson
08-15-2015, 05:12 PM
What is the best Package?

sql
08-15-2015, 05:21 PM
What is the best Package?

You mean what offers more? It depends what you're looking for.

Charles Bronson
08-15-2015, 05:24 PM
You mean what offers more? It depends what you're looking for.

I want to know everything from my DNA.

sql
08-15-2015, 05:26 PM
I want to know everything from my DNA.

Get AncestryDNA then. Turks tend to be a mix of Caucasian and Central Asian, with possibly some Middle Eastern and different European and East Asian groups. AncestryDNA has these categories, 23andme does not.

Pennywise
08-15-2015, 05:40 PM

send it with PTT not cargo.

Alessio
08-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Smaller database, less utilities, not as good ancestry composition although not bad (23andme provides good results when having tested 1 or more parents )

I'd go for 23andme, but if you live in a country that delivers both kits, I'd just buy them both.

Alessio
08-15-2015, 05:49 PM
''The AncestryDNA test is available in the United States and for purchase online for residents of the United Kingdom and Ireland at AncestryDNA.co.uk or dna.ancestry.co.uk. We hope to make it available in other countries in the future although we do not have a date for this yet.''

sql
08-15-2015, 05:50 PM
Smaller database, less utilities, not as good ancestry composition although not bad (23andme provides good results when having tested 1 or more parents tested)

I'd go for 23andme, but if you live in a country that delivers both kits, I'd just buy them both.

AncestryDNA's database is not much smaller than 23andme, the utilities can be done elsewhere with raw data, and like I explained in the OP, AncestryDNA's AC is much better than 23andme's.

I do plan on getting 23andme as well, just to see if I find any new relatives on there. I'm not the typical customer, though. I have an obsession. For the average person, AncestryDNA alone suffices.

Pennywise
08-15-2015, 05:50 PM
What is the difference/s between this and 23andme and ftDNA?

sql
08-15-2015, 05:51 PM
''The AncestryDNA test is available in the United States and for purchase online for residents of the United Kingdom and Ireland at AncestryDNA.co.uk or dna.ancestry.co.uk. We hope to make it available in other countries in the future although we do not have a date for this yet.''

https://www.shipito.com/

sql
08-15-2015, 05:53 PM

The OP I explained the difference between AncestryDNA and 23andme, but I left out FTDNA because it sucks so much that it isn't even worth it. See here: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?180380-FTDNA-results-for-my-grandfather-cousin-and-sister-are-they-serious-!

Basically, AncestryDNA = most accurate, 23andme = somewhat accurate, and FTDNA = usually shit

Mn The Loki TA Son
08-15-2015, 05:56 PM
AncestryDNA seem to be good but I always believe 23andme to be the best there is out there but Although 23andme is a good company, it's not perfect of course. Either way, I'm thinking about getting tested on AncestryDNA too, I want to get my results from there also. But with whatever you test with just run your raw data on Gedmect, Dodecad K12b seems to be one of the best genetic calculators. I believe it's better than 23andme personally.

But all of them have their own thing and use specified population genetics to get their reference population and will pick up different ethnic groups within a country. That said, I take all these results with a gran of salt. As it seem the level of technology is not quite there yet to be 100% accurate in DNA testing. So I take everything I get and learned and combine them and make an educated guess.

Pennywise
08-15-2015, 06:05 PM
The OP I explained the difference between AncestryDNA and 23andme, but I left out FTDNA because it sucks so much that it isn't even worth it. See here: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?180380-FTDNA-results-for-my-grandfather-cousin-and-sister-are-they-serious-!

Basically, AncestryDNA = most accurate, 23andme = somewhat accurate, and FTDNA = usually shit

I read it. I guess only 23andme tell your Y-DNA, right? I know some ftDNA customers and they were fine with it, I'm not sure about the issue of your results.

sql
08-15-2015, 06:07 PM
I read it. I guess only 23andme tell your Y-DNA, right? I know some ftDNA customers and they were fine with it, I'm not sure about the issue of your results.

It used to be good, like my results when I got them. However they made bad updates and it's shit now.

Alessio
08-15-2015, 06:33 PM
AncestryDNA's database is not much smaller than 23andme, the utilities can be done elsewhere with raw data, and like I explained in the OP, AncestryDNA's AC is much better than 23andme's.

I do plan on getting 23andme as well, just to see if I find any new relatives on there. I'm not the typical customer, though. I have an obsession. For the average person, AncestryDNA alone suffices.

Nope, I have access to one account at AncestryDNA and I've seen is that the AC was pretty neat on for that person who has both northern European and Italian ancestry, but there is no such thing as a global similarity plot, paternal and maternal haplogroups (although limited) cross comparing matches, countries of ancestry and DNA relatives matches per country.

Maybe their AC would be more interesting for someone from Turkey I don't know about that, but I never heard before that their system of predicting ancestry was better than 23andme.

The Middle Eastern at 23andme would be 'West Asia' (Caucasus & Middle East) for southern Italians at AncestryDNA.

Mn The Loki TA Son
08-15-2015, 06:56 PM
It used to be good, like my results when I got them. However they made bad updates and it's shit now.

I agree, Yes. Same.

My results got like 3 updates. so some little bit of change happen with them over time. Which got me a bit confused. But I take them with a gran of salt now.

Alessio
08-15-2015, 07:06 PM

So uhh, just to get things straight: you're basing your arguments against 23andme being inferior to AncestryDNA solely on your own results projected from a multi ethnic background, am I right ?

Off-topic: Can a guy edit his messages or just click on anything without getting spammed all the way to valhalla !?

Alessio
08-15-2015, 07:10 PM

Well he's just pointing out to FTDNA's ''MyOrigins'' being less good than the other tests, which is where he has a point but the haplogroup tests are the best at FTDNA because they go much deeper than most other companies.

Alessio
08-15-2015, 07:12 PM
https://www.shipito.com/

If this works you're the man !

Pennywise
08-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Well he's just pointing out to FTDNA's ''MyOrigins'' being less good than the other tests, which is where he has a point but the haplogroup tests are the best at FTDNA because they go much deeper than most other companies.

yeah but you have to pay extra money for both mtdna and ydna results. and it's not that cheap either especially if you are ordering it from out of america. 23andme autosomal test show your y-dna haplogroup for free.

Alessio
08-15-2015, 07:34 PM
yeah but you have to pay extra money for both mtdna and ydna results. and it's not that cheap either especially if you are ordering it from out of america. 23andme autosomal test show your y-dna haplogroup for free.

Yep, it depends on your wishes and wallet.

Oneeye
08-15-2015, 07:38 PM
I am so disappointed in 23 and Me! The info and sample results that they show the prospective buyer are much more detailed and specific than what you actually get. Also, they neglect to inform the prospective customer that the results you will get will have 3 views, all of vastly differing accuracy. The results that they label as "Conservative" has an accuracy rate (by their own calculations) of 90%. The other 2 composition views are "Standard", with a 75% accuracy rate, and the third is "Speculative" with a 51% accuracy rate. Accordingly, the details of your genetic ancestry and countries of origin drastically decline with the increase in the accuracy rate. So the "Speculative" composition contains a much more specified and detailed breakdown whereas the much more accurate "Conservative" composition is exceedingly general and broad. So to summarize, the "Conservative" results are the only ones worth anything because the others are too speculative, but conversely, they are also the results that basically don't tell you a damn thing. To illustrate, my "Speculative" results were as follows: 43.8% British & Irish, 15.4% French & German, 8.0% Scandanavian, 0.1% Iberian, 0.7% Broadly Southern European, and 0.1% unassigned. Now compare to my "Conservative" (and much more accurate, although vague, results): 8.5% British & Irish, 54.1% Broadly Northern European, 34.8% Broadly European, and 2.5% unassigned. So basically I paid $108 to find out nothing any more specific than what I already knew-that my ancestry is European, British and Irish. I would not recommend wasting your money and time (you will spend a GREAT deal of time on this) on this or any of 23 and Me's competitors as their accuracy rate and data base is much less than 23 and Me's is.

Is there any data demonstrating that AncestryDNA's genetic breakdown uses higher confidence levels than 23andme? (Completely different from an "accuracy rate" btw, this reviewer could use a thorough brushing up on basic statistics.)

https://23andme.https.internapcdn.net/res/img/public/oneoff/ancestry_composition_guide/MB5D01kw2hGrXqv0s_UC2A_image00.png

Here, we're showing a 70 percent confidence threshold. We'll run across the chromosome from left to right, and ask whether any population has confidence exceeding that threshold. You can see that with the exception of the blue European stretch, we exceed this threshold over the majority of the chromosome. These regions will contribute in proportion to their size to the overall ancestry percentages: For example, consider the green Native American segment near the right end, and that it works out to be 0.26 percent of the entire genome. Even though we have some probability that the segment comes from other regions, the Native American proportion exceeds the current 70 percent threshold, and so we'll add 0.26 percent Native American to the overall ancestry percentages.

In the case of the European segment, no single population exceeds our 70 percent threshold, so we won't report that DNA as coming from any of those populations. In this case, we refer to our hierarchy of reference populations. For example, we have a "Northern European" group that contains three reference populations: Britain & Ireland, Scandinavia, and France & Germany. We'll add up the contributions of each of these subgroups, and see if the total "Northern European" contribution exceeds the 70 percent threshold. If it did, then we'd report the region as "Broadly Northern European".

In this particular case, the Northern European reference populations do not exceed 70 percent. So we go up another step, and see if the contributions of all the European populations exceed 70 percent. They do, and so we would report this region as "Broadly European."

You can see the entire hierarchy in the Ancestry Composition table by clicking "Show all populations."

In regions where we go all the way to the top of our hierarchy, but no group of populations exceeds the threshold in place, we'll report "Unassigned."

We've built in three confidence thresholds to Ancestry Composition. These are Speculative (51 percent), Standard (75 percent), and Conservative (90 percent).

https://www.23andme.com/ancestry_composition_guide/#threshold

Oneeye
08-15-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm actually very irritated by that guy's review. He clearly doesn't know what he is talking about, but many people reading it won't know that and will be misled.

Cody Gearhart
09-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Get AncestryDNA then. Turks tend to be a mix of Caucasian and Central Asian, with possibly some Middle Eastern and different European and East Asian groups. AncestryDNA has these categories, 23andme does not.

is AncestryDNA good for colonial americans? And how recent is AncestryDNA for ethnicity?

sql
09-13-2015, 01:46 AM
is AncestryDNA good for colonial americans? And how recent is AncestryDNA for ethnicity?

Yes, it has the best most detailed accurate break down from 400-500 yrs ago.

Cody Gearhart
09-13-2015, 01:48 AM
Yes, it has the best most detailed accurate break down from 400-500 yrs ago.
ok! Thank you! Is there any other way to know my ethnic breakdown around 100-200 years? not paper trail.

Siberian Cold Breeze
09-13-2015, 01:54 AM
Do you have any sample result , of any ethnicity ?

What is the price ?

Gooding
09-13-2015, 02:20 AM
Superior? Really? Look at these results:

http://i.imgur.com/5yKmrb5.jpg

4% Great Britain? Really?

sql
09-13-2015, 04:06 AM
Do you have any sample result , of any ethnicity ?

What is the price ?

Yes send me a private message I will show you many results tomorrow :)

Sikeliot
09-13-2015, 04:17 AM

My mom is more British than you on there :lol:

Brianna
09-13-2015, 04:30 AM
You guys really should read customer reviews of the companies. Mac confirms some of the negative reviews of Ancestry DNA. I think it's great for genealogy but not so much for genetics.

Iloko
09-15-2015, 02:52 PM
I don't know about the other Euro groups, but 23andme does a superb job on the Iberian front.

They separate Asian groups decently as well I must say, but still have ways of improvement.

Guapo
09-15-2015, 03:11 PM

maybe you have more anglo-saxon from northwest europe than indigenous brit/

Ylla
09-15-2015, 03:19 PM

ftDNA is only good for haplogroups. For autosomal DNA it's a waste of money.

Pennywise
09-15-2015, 03:21 PM
ftDNA is only good for haplogroups. For autosomal DNA it's a waste of money.

Some are say the same thing for ftDNA. I don't know. And how can 23andme show a male's mtdna? or a woman's y-dna?

Ylla
09-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Some are say the same thing for ftDNA. I don't know. And how can 23andme show a male's mtdna? or a woman's y-dna?

Males carry Y-DNA and mtDNA, so through testing. Women can test a male relative (father, brother, male cousin) to find their paternal line (Y-DNA)

Gooding
09-15-2015, 04:01 PM
maybe you have more anglo-saxon from northwest europe than indigenous brit/

That's an excellent point. My English blood may quite literally be more Anglo- Saxon than Celtic Briton. Or, if Great Britain is a meeting place for other Northwestern European groups, maybe there has been more " post Anglo- Saxon Invasion" Germanic input. Of course, one could also surmise that this is simply an Anglo- American's genetic signature, with the Western and Central European, the Irish and then the Scandinavian meeting at various times in England and Scotland before the English migrations in the 1650s- 1750s and the Scots- Irish migrations between 1715 and 1770. Put in my direct French and German ancestry into the mix and it begins to make a little more sense.

Guapo
09-15-2015, 04:50 PM
That's an excellent point. My English blood may quite literally be more Anglo- Saxon than Celtic Briton. Or, if Great Britain is a meeting place for other Northwestern European groups, maybe there has been more " post Anglo- Saxon Invasion" Germanic input. Of course, one could also surmise that this is simply an Anglo- American's genetic signature, with the Western and Central European, the Irish and then the Scandinavian meeting at various times in England and Scotland before the English migrations in the 1650s- 1750s and the Scots- Irish migrations between 1715 and 1770. Put in my direct French and German ancestry into the mix and it begins to make a little more sense.

Or celtic britons are basically "west euro" in general, they aren't necessarily indigenous to Britain either if you go by their tales originating from Iberia, modern day France etc like jewpsy said, AncestyDNA apparently uses the best chip, therefore tests for more and better SNPs giving the best raw data and the most accurate results?

I see you also have Iberian, could be ancient celt?

Guapo
09-15-2015, 05:06 PM

What area of Britain are your ancestors from? usually the western English has more original A-S genes. Many people have this misconception that the Angles, Saxons Jutes invaded only with soldiers which wasn't true. They came in droves with their women and children. Estimated numbers were over 300,000 by historians that settled in Kent alone.

Annie999
09-15-2015, 05:13 PM
what would you say is the best test for someone who is southern european and a bit it Mena?

Gooding
09-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Or celtic britons are basically "west euro" in general, they aren't necessarily indigenous to Britain either if you go by their tales originating from Iberia, modern day France etc like jewpsy said, AncestyDNA apparently uses the best chip, therefore tests for more and better SNPs giving the best raw data and the most accurate results?

I see you also have Iberian, could be ancient celt?

It's possible that the Iberian comes from my direct French ancestry, much of which came from Southwestern France, around the Aquitaine and Pyrenean area. :) While Francois Pecot himself came from Nantes, Jean Armelin came from Puimoisson in Alpes de Haute Provence, Jean Bossier came from Tarne et Garonne and Jean Baptiste Perret came out of Grenoble, Dauphine. I'm perfectly willing to entertain the idea that my Gascon, Provencal and Arpitan ancestors were counted with older Iberian ancestry that contributed to the british genetic pool to produce this percentage.

Gooding
09-15-2015, 05:16 PM
What area of Britain are your ancestors from? usually the western English has more original A-S genes. Many people have this misconception that the Angles, Saxons Jutes invaded only with soldiers which wasn't true. They came in droves with their women and children. Estimated numbers were over 300,000 by historians that settled in Kent alone.

You're right. I've got quite a bit of Southwestern English blood and Western Scottish blood.

Guapo
09-15-2015, 05:17 PM
You're right. I've got quite a bit of Southwestern English blood and Western Scottish blood.

I'm good.

Gooding
09-15-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm good.

It seems, that after discussing different genetic variables with Guapo about my paper trail, combined with history and genetic genealogy, I'm going to have to reverse my prior understanding of AncestryDNA. It seems to go beyond our ancestors' points of departure from various areas of Europe to the New World and goes back to their geographical and genetic origins. In short, it uses a different mode of comparison and explores deeper ancestry.

Guapo
09-15-2015, 05:31 PM
It seems, that after discussing different genetic variables with Guapo about my paper trail, combined with history and genetic genealogy, I'm going to have to reverse my prior understanding of AncestryDNA. It seems to go beyond our ancestors' points of departure from various areas of Europe to the New World and goes back to their geographical and genetic origins. In short, it uses a different mode of comparison and explores deeper ancestry.

i guess everyone needs to search historical facts and migrations of peoples as well to fully understand any autosmal dna result.

Gooding
09-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Bump.

Catkin
09-15-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm considering getting tested with AncestryDNA as from looking at the info on Gedmatch I think several of my closest relatives tested there. With the likilhood that they've got family trees worked out it could be really useful.

Gooding
09-15-2015, 08:08 PM
I'm considering getting tested with AncestryDNA as from looking at the info on Gedmatch I think several of my closest relatives tested there. With the likilhood that they've got family trees worked out it could be really useful.

My cousin Steve McDonald inspired me to get my DNA tested with Ancestry and FamilyTree. He shows up obviously as a relative in both. He also read as 48% Ireland on Ancestry, which I found interesting. Our branch of the McDonalds seem to have either old Celtic origins or strong genetic connections to Ireland.. possibly both.

Swarthist
09-16-2015, 06:46 AM
Good Ad & marketing strategy. Register on a anthrotard forum, be an active member, donate them and then promote your company. :biggrin:

Iloko
09-16-2015, 06:53 AM
AncestryDNA is weird. I scored 6% 'Asia Central', and 27% 'Polynesia' category. Just odd.

Gaston
09-16-2015, 07:13 AM
People who rely on what dna testing company display as a results don't understand shit about genetics.

The only important thing is the raw data. A company that does not provide raw data should be considered garbage. As for the quality of the raw data, from the most usable to the least, it looks like this:
23andme>Ftdna>AncestryDNA

Petalpusher
09-16-2015, 04:04 PM
AncestyDNA apparently uses the best chip, therefore tests for more and better SNPs giving the best raw data and the most accurate results?

Ancestry and FTDNA test more SNPs, it's useful for deep clade tests (ydna/mtdna) and genealogy. 23 have their own custom selection of SNPs more relevant for ancestry, in short they test less but a higher quality set. A good calculator doesn't need 1 Million SNPs, not even 100k, it needs the right ones and a good modeling of components / populations, which is way more important than testing hundred thousands of garbage SNPs.

23 raw data are often slightly more accurate, better genotype rate,.

Pennywise
09-16-2015, 04:53 PM
People who rely on what dna testing company display as a results don't understand shit about genetics.

The only important thing is the raw data. A company that does not provide raw data should be considered garbage. As for the quality of the raw data, from the most usable to the least, it looks like this:
23andme>Ftdna>AncestryDNA

you must be a genealogist.

Anthropologique
09-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Ancestry and FTDNA test more SNPs, it's useful for deep clade tests (ydna/mtdna) and genealogy. 23 have their own custom selection of SNPs more relevant for ancestry, in short they test less but a higher quality set. A good calculator doesn't need 1 Million SNPs, not even 100k, it needs the right ones and a good modeling of components / populations, which is way more important than testing hundred thousands of garbage SNPs.

23 raw data are often slightly more accurate, better genotype rate,.

I agree. Unless you have relationships at a top university genetics department that can test you, 23andMe is currently the best

Bobby Martnen
10-03-2017, 08:51 PM
23andme has the better admixture test for people of mostly European origins, and traces direct maternal and paternal lines.

AncestryDNA is much better for genealogy, and also has genetic communities, and better admixture results for non-Europeans.

RenaRyuguu
10-20-2021, 02:26 PM
that's my next big purchase

Annie999
10-20-2021, 02:50 PM
It's 2021 now, 6 years after this thread was created. I have both tests done, and while 23andme used to be better it got stuck years ago and stopped improving. AncestryDNA is far more superior nowadays. It broke down my ancestry impressively.

Mopi Licinius Crassus
10-23-2021, 12:44 PM
my new update:

they've given me Scottish ancestry ( I have no known ancestry from Scotland), and less Irish (I have loads of known Irish ancestry)
too much Welsh (I have a known great great grandmother from Bala in North Wales)

at least they've reduced the French ancestry (I have no French ancestry)

They seem to be confusing Scottish ancestry with Northern English and or Irish...and still confusing some French ancestry with Northern Spanish

https://i.imgur.com/PABtMdM.jpg?1

Grace O'Malley
10-23-2021, 12:50 PM
my new update:

they've given me Scottish ancestry ( I have no known ancestry from Scotland), and less Irish (I have loads of known Irish ancestry)
too much Welsh (I have a known great great grandmother from Bala in North Wales)

at least they've reduced the French ancestry (I have no French ancestry)

They seem to be confusing Scottish ancestry with Northern English and or Irish...and still confusing some French ancestry with Northern Spanish

https://i.imgur.com/PABtMdM.jpg?1

The fact that you have an Irish GC and no Scottish GC would seem to imply that they are having problems with Irish and Scottish ancestry.

Mopi Licinius Crassus
10-23-2021, 12:56 PM
The fact that you have an Irish GC and no Scottish GC would seem to imply that they are having problems with Irish and Scottish ancestry.

Yes I agree.
My maternal grandfather was pure Irish by blood.. His mother's family originated in Newry (hence the big match I have there) , and his father's family originated in SE Ireland
My maternal grandmother (whom I have v extensive ancestry records), was 1/4 irish, 1/4 Welsh, and 1/2 Northern English (originally from the NE not far at all from the borders)
I think Ancestry are confusing my grandmother's NE English ancestry with Scottish tbh

calxpal
12-11-2022, 03:15 AM
I've ordered and sent off an Ancestry kit, and I am excited to share my thoughts on here =) lets hope I learn enough new things from the results :cool:.

HannibaltheGreat
12-11-2022, 04:59 AM
AncestryDNA is for geneology. So its actually useful.

calxpal
07-19-2023, 07:59 AM
Yes I agree.
My maternal grandfather was pure Irish by blood.. His mother's family originated in Newry (hence the big match I have there) , and his father's family originated in SE Ireland
My maternal grandmother (whom I have v extensive ancestry records), was 1/4 irish, 1/4 Welsh, and 1/2 Northern English (originally from the NE not far at all from the borders)
I think Ancestry are confusing my grandmother's NE English ancestry with Scottish tbh

This is interesting Ancestry for me assigned about twice as much Scottish ancestry as I should have realistically and about 1/8th as much Irish as I should have and people say it must be because I don't know my ancestry :mad:

calxpal
10-09-2023, 06:40 AM
Well to share my thoughts, I would say that people should weigh the pros and cons very carefully of each test before ordering them and figure out what there interests are first before deciding. Personally after having done both of them I would be much more likely to recommend 23andme, although Ancestry does have some neat features however after they added the sudden paywall for all US users with the beta features the value of the test just dropped a lot and they revealed they are considering paywalling all the matches as well so something to consider carefully. Ancestry does have better raw data, and in terms of ancestry composition I personally think 23andme is better for Europeans but sometimes Ancestry works better for some people. Ancestry has a lot of European subregions but I think they sacrifice a fair amount of accuracy for specificity. 23andme also has confidence levels and more advanced DNA features and I think they are better with assigning genetic groups. Although Ancestry does have some fun tree features like hints. Ancestry does have a ton of genetic groups however they seem to under assign them.

So overall I would say if your primary interest is genealogy research get Ancestry, but if you're more interested in health and extra detailed reports get 23andme.

Creoda
10-09-2023, 06:55 AM
Well to share my thoughts, I would say that people should weigh the pros and cons very carefully of each test before ordering them and figure out what there interests are first before deciding. Personally after having done both of them I would be much more likely to recommend 23andme, although Ancestry does have some neat features however after they added the sudden paywall for all US users with the beta features the value of the test just dropped a lot and they revealed they are considering paywalling all the matches as well so something to consider carefully. Ancestry does have better raw data, and in terms of ancestry composition I personally think 23andme is better for Europeans but sometimes Ancestry works better for some people. Ancestry has a lot of European subregions but I think they sacrifice a fair amount of accuracy for specificity. 23andme also has confidence levels and more advanced DNA features and I think they are better with assigning genetic groups. Although Ancestry does have some fun tree features like hints. Ancestry does have a ton of genetic groups however they seem to under assign them.

So overall I would say if your primary interest is genealogy research get Ancestry, but if you're more interested in health and extra detailed reports get 23andme.
It depends on your background as well. If you're fully British and/or Irish like me and know your ancestry well then getting 100% B & I on 23andme isn't going to be very interesting or surprising, and AncestryDNA separates English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish well. If you're a Euromutt then 23andme will be more accurate, while AncestryDNA provides the best raw data files.

The Ancestry.com genealogical side and DNA matching features are also superior. And as far as genetic groups go, at least for British and Irish Ancestry is far more accurate. Seems like every person with British or Irish ancestry comes from Greater London, Dublin or Glasgow according to 23andme.

Grace O'Malley
10-09-2023, 07:30 AM
It depends on your background as well. If you're fully British and/or Irish like me and know your ancestry well then getting 100% B & I on 23andme isn't going to be very interesting or surprising, and AncestryDNA separates English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish well. If you're a Euromutt then 23andme will be more accurate, while AncestryDNA provides the best raw data files.

The Ancestry.com genealogical side and DNA matching features are also superior. And as far as genetic groups go, at least for British and Irish Ancestry is far more accurate. Seems like every person with British or Irish ancestry comes from Greater London, Dublin or Glasgow according to 23andme.

It's not perfect at separating populations. A cousin from Dublin gets a big chunk of Scottish and my daughter gets Scottish and some English. Both cousin and daughter have no recent ancestry from England or Scotland. My cousin's father is from Dublin and mother's side Roscommon and my daughter's father's family are from Eastern Ireland as well partly Dublin and Wexford.

Daughter's latest result. Her Irish has gone up 3% from last update and her Scottish has decreased. She has regained England & NW Europe which she had previously but lost in the update before this one.

https://i.imgur.com/hpgtIPo.png

I think a lot of British also get Irish etc without having actual Irish ancestry.

Mortimer
10-09-2023, 07:35 AM
Im very content with AncestryDNA

earthtube
04-12-2024, 03:53 AM
The information on my ethnic background from Ancestry DNA resembled very closely what paper records I have of my family tree, while 23andme connected me to places I have no verifiable connection to. This is anecdotal, I know, but it leads me to trust Ancestry more, despite the fact that they removed communities that matched very closely my paper records.

calxpal
04-13-2024, 10:45 PM
I personally still trust 23andme way more because my Ancestry results don't align with my paper trail very well and they couldn't even get my one genetic community region right either.

I respect everyone's opinions though and please don't chew me out of you're an AncestryDNA fan I some of you have gotten good results from them.

Also the underhanded greedy paywalls have mad me lose respect for them. I'm probably going to delete my Ancestry account in the next 2 years if they don't improve.

Laredo
04-13-2024, 10:49 PM
I personally still trust 23andme way more because my Ancestry results don't align with my paper trail very well and they couldn't even get my one genetic community region right either.

I respect everyone's opinions though and please don't chew me out of you're an AncestryDNA fan I some of you have gotten good results from them.

Also the underhanded greedy paywalls have mad me lose respect for them. I'm probably going to delete my Ancestry account in the next 2 years if they don't improve.

Ironically my FTDNA turn out to be more accurate than what Ancestry gave me , a bit more Indigenous and SSA, I don't feel like spending any unnecessary money on DNA test but I feel 23andme would still be more accurate.

calxpal
04-13-2024, 11:21 PM
Ironically my FTDNA turn out to be more accurate than what Ancestry gave me , a bit more Indigenous and SSA, I don't feel like spending any unnecessary money on DNA test but I feel 23andme would still be more accurate.

Same FTDNA was better for me too especially after the recent update, but I know the FTDNA update wasn't good for everyone. I mean FTDNA does have decent features for the price, I could also understand though since DNA companies sadly don't seem to be doing well in general. 23andme has issues like all of them but I would still recommend it.

Also I can't 100% confirm this is true, and please Ancestry fans don't bash me lol but it seems like Ancestry genuinely does have a tendency to overestimate Indigenous in Latin Americans I heard this is because they used some admired samples but I am not an expert lol so don't take what I say as for certain.

But ofc these tests are always going to be estimates and have some issues.