PDA

View Full Version : Do you dig the blues?

Baron Samedi
08-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Well... Do you?

I love the atmosphere of blues music.... And the lives that the various masters led.... Lot of passion, darkness and self-destruction.

I find it really inspiring.... I can't help but think about Robert Johnson every time I visit some crossroads around these parts, or even some desolate graves under some morning fog.....

Not to mention most if not all metal has roots in it.

It's prompting me to learn how to play a lot of it as we speak.

<3

EDIT: I forgot! Watching it live is just amazing.... So many people grooving down and women shaking their stuff and having a good time. Raw, sexy electricity in the air that few other styles of music can emulate.

Psychonaut
08-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Not much in the way of straight Blues, but I adore the really early stages of 1960's Blues Rock. This, for instance, is the absolute cream of the crop:

YdwVVI4B3oY

Beorn
08-16-2010, 12:58 AM
I break a sacred oath here by stating this publicly, but the blue half of Bristol sing a rather good song which I would appropriate for the red side of Bristol in a heartbeat.

eCf60f_sAA0

But I prefer the more upbeat and European style tempo.

M_FSpwbY6Zw

Baron Samedi
08-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Clapton is the fucking man (more like God), period.

fX5USg8_1gA

Those string bends, man..... On fire!

Psychonaut
08-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Eric's good, but Jimmy was no slouch with the Blues either:

q0zlwbqlY4c

Grumpy Cat
08-16-2010, 01:15 AM
I love blues.

zYrVwGxlcFA

4Ny5ajCn0xw

Grumpy Cat
08-16-2010, 01:21 AM
I also find Chain Gang blues very interesting.

eEHFDKXM2y0

Baron Samedi
08-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Eric's good, but Jimmy was no slouch with the Blues either:

q0zlwbqlY4c

Fuck LZ.

CONSTANTLY ripping off blues licks and other people's songs.

But yeah, Pagey was a good guitarist, no doubt.

Psychonaut
08-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Fuck LZ.

LOL, it's not ripping off if you improve on the original. :D

Debaser11
08-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Oooh! Great thread!

Kudos to those who posted John Lee Hooker and Leadbelly.

I second the OP's sentiments about Robert Johnson. I also have both Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire, too.

This one tops all the old school blues artists in my eyes:

4Ou-6A3MKow

His most famous piece:

kAwjZLztd28

Here is Wolf's vastly underrated 60s admirer who I think is one of the most important figures in pop music history. Taking the blues to another level was one of his many contributions to music.

Q2ZMOKLsiuY

And in the following link the second song is a play off a well-known blues progression that may have begun with Robert Johnson's If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day. It later turned into Rollin' and Tumblin', which become popularized by the likes of Muddy Waters. I'm biased; I like the Magic Band version the best.

2CBDfY7zJlQ

And at the risk of over linking, this last one is a piece that I really think takes the blues to another level; it's a great mix of blues and creepy 60s psychedelic flavor. Yet I think it avoids the "Incense and Peppermints" 60s kitsch.

QvMb2r2oge8

Debaser11
08-16-2010, 03:38 AM
Fuck LZ.

You do realize that black blues musicians ripped off white gospel songs in the first place don't you? Yet, I don't think I would sell any of these old black dudes short. They were great! It's really a tired thing to hear how much everyone thinks whites have ripped off blacks. It's gotten to the point now where everyone just says that blacks invented rock 'n' roll. Hogwash. It was a joint effort much like American Jazz.

Bloodeagle
08-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Here are some of my favorites.
The late Stevie Ray Vaughan. :thumb001:
gK3tLuGyVR8
TOBACCO ROAD - EDGAR WINTER
_FwdIctMjkA
CC Rider- Eric Burdon & The Animals
WFocFCw8Mu0
Booker T & the MG's - green onions
U-7QSMyz5rg

Debaser11
08-16-2010, 04:11 AM
And not to take this thread into off topic territory, but just listen to this early country western song. The difference between it and the blues is slight and the widest gulf between the two styles mostly has to do with the key the music is written in, the lead instruments (slide guitar over a harmonica), and having a white singer (singing in the white gospel tradition) instead of a more barritone black singing style.

As everyone can see from the video below, it's not just black music that has gotten progressively worse over the years.

95aP0OWx4jY

Bloodeagle
08-16-2010, 04:17 AM
And not to take this thread into off topic territory, but just listen to this early country western song. The difference between it and the blues is slight and the widest gulf between the two styles mostly has to do with the key the music is written in, the lead instruments (slide guitar over a harmonica), and having a white singer (singing in the white gospel tradition) instead of a more barritone black singing style.

As everyone can see from the video below, it's not just black music that has gotten progressively worse over the years.

95aP0OWx4jY

Much of what you have said can also be applied to early Jazz.:)
MXjqN2pyuRU

Debaser11
08-16-2010, 04:41 AM
And if for some reason you don't hear the similarities between the blues and early country music with "Hey, Good Lookin'," there are more obvious examples in Hank Williams' body of work. "Move it on Over," "Honky Tonk BLUES", and "There's a Tear in My Beer" are all blatant examples of how intertwined black and white music has been for quite some time. Obviously, what passes as country music today is very different. But it's just not cool (or PC) to give whites credit for musical contributions that are deemed "black." So we rewrite history.

Eburos, that was a very pretty track. My understanding of jazz is pretty weak compared to the blues and folk music. But I liked that track. It goes without saying that I also like the Stevie Ray Vaughn upload.

Here's a little atonal bliss that I think may be of interest to those who like the blues. It's by another one of the Mississippi Delta greats, Fred "Mississippi" McDowell. When people tell me that "atonal" sounds can never be music, I point to numbers like this:

54GNI2K3-ec

Eldritch
08-16-2010, 08:27 AM
You do realize that black blues musicians ripped off white gospel songs in the first place don't you?

And English ballads as well. Africans brought to America had no music of their own; understandable enough given the circumstances. What they did was produce their own version(s) of white, European music, and sure, they deserve credit for that.

antonio
08-16-2010, 10:08 AM
My answer would be at the dusty road between yes and no.

antonio
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
And English ballads as well. Africans brought to America had no music of their own; understandable enough given the circumstances. What they did was produce their own version(s) of white, European music, and sure, they deserve credit for that.

Well, all the melodic stuff in jazz, blues, reggaee, African music came from Europe or Mediterranean sea...and all the instrumental virtuosism, too. They just got soul, "ritmo" and spontaneity...indeed relevant parts of their stuff.

Cato
08-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Blues and jazz go hand-in-hand.

Baron Samedi
08-28-2010, 01:01 PM
This gives me such a hardon, it's unreal.

Cqh54rSzheg

Ginger Baker is FUCKED out of his MIND here..... Those clothes and Clapton's guitar = total win.

Grumpy Cat
08-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Whites also had a great influence on rap and hip hop but I don't see people whining about people downplaying the white contribution unlike with rock and blues.

In fact the same people who point out white influence on blues and rock, will at the same time downplay white contributions to rap. I'm actually quite proud of the specifically Acadian contribution to the hip hop dance style.

Baron Samedi
08-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Whites also had a great influence on rap and hip hop but I don't see people whining about people downplaying the white contribution unlike with rock and blues.

In fact the same people who point out white influence on blues and rock, will at the same time downplay white contributions to rap. I'm actually quite proud of the specifically Acadian contribution to the hip hop dance style.

This thread isn't about white/black shit.... It's about blues music.

So seriously, stop with the bullshit.