PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use Teflon Cookware? Ditch it. It’s far more toxic than its worst critics thought.

wvwvw
08-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Using a Non-Stick Pan? You May Want to Read This
By Edward Group
Global Healing Center
August 25, 2015

Pans containing a non-stick coating are certainly convenient, and the popularity of them has helped them explode on the market. The chemical used for this coating is seeing new research on its level of toxicity. This research is showing that exposure on any level could prove dangerous to neural, reproductive, and immune health. Could this darling of the kitchen be one of the leading causes of ill health all over the world?

The Dangers of Non-Stick Coating

DuPont, a chemical engineering giant, manufactured perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) to make Teflon coating for cookware. Federal regulators linked the chemical to birth defects and carcinogenicity in animals, and these regulators also accused DuPont of hiding these hazard reports for decades. This caused an uproar in the health community and forced DuPont to finally phase out its production of the chemical in 2006. Despite this phase out, PFOA has spread throughout millions of homes worldwide. This has resulted in traces of the compound in the blood of nearly every American, and research shows it can also be found in polar bears in the Arctic.

A new Environmental Working Group (EWG) report suggests that the standard for PFOA is 0.0003 parts per billion, a figure 1,333 times lower than the figure from the Environmental Protection Agency. The EWG even goes as far to suggest that there is no safe level of exposure to the chemical in non-stick coatings, categorizing PFOA in the same league as asbestos and lead. This new report is supported by studies from the University of Massachusetts (UMASS) and Harvard University, studies that suggest blood levels of PFOA that were greater than three tenths of a nanogram–400 times lower than the EPA’s current level–could cause adverse effects.

The Solution
There are some natural, safer alternatives to Teflon that you should be aware of. If you currently own a non-stick pan, throw them out immediately. Replace all non-stick bakeware with glass, and choose steel and cast iron for other cooking needs. Rely on healthy fats, like olive oil and coconut oil, to provide a natural non-stick surface for your cookware. Ideally, the majority of your diet should be uncooked and raw, meaning you shouldn’t have to worry too much about whether or not your food is sticking to cookware.

How do you avoid food sticking to your cookware? Please let us know in the comments!

-Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, NP, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM

Marusya
08-25-2015, 06:59 PM
I use cast iron cookware (Le Creuset). :thumb001: It is VERY expensive. I have acquired a set piece by piece over time. The "Ultimate Cast Iron Le Creuset set - 5 pieces" costs $1000.00 USD. This cookware will last a lifetime, though. I also use stainless (untreated) cookware, too.

Deneb
08-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Yes, I knew that. I changed my pans 2 years ago. Porcelaine frying pans are harmless, and not too expensive.

Linebacker
08-25-2015, 07:17 PM
My pan is teflon,because its nice and things don't stick,our pots are stainless steel I think.

Im definitely not throwing away the pan.

XvThomas_LysergicV
08-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Nope. This is the first time i've heard of "Telefon Cookware". I just put oils or spray that (whatever its called) non-stick spray on my pans.

Hadouken
08-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Nope. This is the first time i've heard of "Telefon Cookware". I just put oils or spray that (whatever its called) non-stick spray on my pans.

haha :D notsureifsrs

XvThomas_LysergicV
08-25-2015, 07:26 PM
haha :D notsureifsrs

She was talking about pans that already have some kind of permanent coating on it. She didn't say anything about sprays but if those sprays are considered toxic too then all I have to do is stop using them. I don't use them that much anyway. I've seriously never heard of the term Teflon before.

wvwvw
08-25-2015, 07:27 PM
My pan is teflon,because its nice and things don't stick,our pots are stainless steel I think.

https://thatsbad4u.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/kokosboekje-018.png

Mazik
08-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Nah, I use a cast-iron pan :)

Linebacker
08-25-2015, 07:29 PM
https://thatsbad4u.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/kokosboekje-018.png

Nonsense,the only way you can die from a teflon pan is if someone beats you to death with it.

wvwvw
08-25-2015, 07:39 PM
http://www.alleghenyfront.org/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow_medium_626/public/36_photo1_alleghenyfront_0.jpg?itok=lbhSKdO0

Teflon, non-stick pans are widely preferred when cooking. People use them because for one, they prevent your food from sticking to the bottom of the pan, preventing ruin of your beautiful food creations. Number two, they minimize the amount of oil needed to sauté your veggies and prevent fast burning. Well sorry cooks, chefs and foodies, Teflon can kill you!

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6b956d442708355d5de903d7b193af0afe133b31/c=0-303-1200-1204&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/10/26/1382817498000-d07-ill-Teflon.jpg

Well, eventually. Teflon pans release extremely toxic gasses into the air and into your food. Also little particles from the non-stick coating can get into your food releasing chemicals into your system. The non-stick coating contains PFOA, the same crap used to make those deadly microwave popcorn bags that I posted about a few weeks ago. According to studies, PFOAs cannot be broken down by the environment and can be found in 92% of humans. They can even kill cows if they ingest food or water polluted by it. So here you have it folks! Teflon pans can kill you and they’re definitely bad for you. So you can either take heed, or keep continue cooking away with them.

http://fittipdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/the-dangers-of-teflon-2.png

One study in Human Reproduction found that PFOS increased the odds of infertility anywhere from 70 to 134 percent, while PFOA was linked to a 60 to 154 percent increase in the chance of infertility. There has also been some very concerning research regarding PFOA and thyroid function. People with the highest 25% of PFOA concentrations (above 5.7ng/ml) were more than twice as likely to have thyroid disease than those with the lowest 50% of PFOA concentrations (below 4.0ng/ml).

Your thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland in your throat area that contains thyroglobulin protein, which binds to iodine to form hormones, which in turn influence essentially every organ, tissue and cell in your body. Thyroid hormones are used by every cell of your body to regulate metabolism and body weight by controlling the burning of fat for energy and heat. Thyroid hormones are also required for growth and development in children.

Thyroid disease, if left untreated, can lead to heart disease, infertility, muscle weakness, osteoporosis and, in extreme cases, coma or death. Exposure to these toxic chemicals is likely one reason why thyroid disorders are becoming so widespread. Among the health concerns noted in the report are:

Cancer
Hypothyroidism
Reproductive problems
Birth defects
Immune system problems
Organ damage

Rumata
08-25-2015, 07:51 PM
No. We use cast iron frying pans.

Annie999
08-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Yes I do use teflon and this information sucks, but to be honest every thing nowadays seem to be cancerigenous in one way or another: microwaves, cell phones, wifi, even the $2 chinease instant soups I recently heard are cancerigenous too.

Marusya
08-25-2015, 08:15 PM

U GONNA DIE! :D

Anthropos
08-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Does this apply to Tefal Titanium pans as well?

Marusya
08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Yes I do use teflon and this information sucks, but to be honest every thing nowadays seem to be cancerigenous in one way or another: microwaves, cell phones, wifi, even the $2 chinease instant soups I recently heard are cancerigenous too.

Those Ramen Noodle soups are loaded with toxic additives and they are difficult for the human body to digest. So, if you are able, avoid those pre-packaged instant noodles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQlNv2Au-Lg

Ramen Noodles Don’t Break Down After Hours of Digestion

In the video above, you can see ramen noodles inside a stomach. Even after two hours, they are remarkably intact, much more so than the homemade ramen noodles, which were used as a comparison. This is concerning for a number of reasons.

For starters, it could be putting a strain on your digestive system, which is forced to work for hours to break down this highly processed food (ironically, most processed food is so devoid of fiber that it gets broken down very quickly, interfering with your blood sugar levels and insulin release).

When food remains in your digestive tract for such a long time, it will also impact nutrient absorption, but, in the case of processed ramen noodles, there isn’t much nutrition to be had. Instead, there is a long list of additives, including the toxic preservative tertiary-butyl hydroquinone (TBHQ).

This additive will likely remain in your stomach along with the seemingly invincible noodles, and no one knows what this extended exposure time may do to your health. Common sense suggests it’s not going to be good…

Five Grams of Noodle Preservative, TBHQ, Is Lethal

TBHQ, a byproduct of the petroleum industry, is often listed as an "antioxidant," but it's important to realize it is a synthetic chemical with antioxidant properties – not a natural antioxidant. The chemical prevents oxidation of fats and oils, thereby extending the shelf life of processed foods.

It's a commonly used ingredient in processed foods of all kinds (including McDonald’s chicken nuggets, Kellogg’s CHEEZ-IT crackers, Reese’s peanut butter cups, Wheat Thins crackers, Teddy Grahams, Red Baron frozen pizza, Taco Bell beans, and much more).

But you can also find it in varnishes, lacquers, and pesticide products, as well as cosmetics and perfumes to reduce the evaporation rate and improve stability.

At its 19th and 21st meetings, the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives determined that TBHQ was safe for human consumption at levels of 0-0.5 mg/kg of body weight.1

However, the Codex commission set the maximum allowable limits up to between 100 to as much as 400 mg/kg, depending on the food it's added to.2 (Chewing gum is permitted to contain the highest levels of TBHQ.) In the US, the Food and Drug Administration requires that TBHQ must not exceed 0.02 percent of its oil and fat content.3

So there’s quite a discrepancy in supposedly "safe" limits, but it’s probably best to have little or no exposure to this toxicant, as exposure to five grams can be lethal and, according to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, exposure to just one gram of TBHQ can cause:

Nausea and vomiting
Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
Delirium
Sense of suffocation
Collapse
While TBHQ is not suspected to be a persistent toxicant, meaning your body is probably able to eliminate it so that it does not bioaccumulate, if you eat instant noodles your body might be getting prolonged exposures. This is concerning, to say the least. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), based on animal studies health hazards associated with TBHQ include:

Liver effects at very low doses
Positive mutation results from in vitro tests on mammalian cells
Biochemical changes at very low doses
Reproductive effects at high doses
Eating Instant Noodles Linked to Metabolic Syndrome

If you’re still considering ramen noodles for lunch, you should know a new study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that women who consumed more instant noodles had a significantly greater risk of metabolic syndrome than those who ate less, regardless of their overall diet or exercise habits.

Women who ate instant noodles more than twice a week were 68 percent more likely to have metabolic syndrome -- a group of symptoms such as central obesity, elevated blood pressure, elevated fasting blood sugar, elevated fasting triglycerides, and low levels of HDL cholesterol.

Having three or more of the symptoms increases your risk of developing diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Past research also analyzed overall nutrient intake between instant-noodle consumers and non-consumers, and found, as you might suspect, that eating instant noodles contributes little value to a healthy diet.

The instant-noodle consumers had a significantly lower intake of important nutrients like protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, potassium, vitamin A, niacin, and vitamin C compared with non-consumers.7 Those who ate instant noodles also had an excessive intake of energy, unhealthy fats and sodium (just one package may contain 2,700 milligrams of sodium).

What Else Is in a Package of Instant Noodles?

Aside from a lot of sodium and the preservative TBHQ, what else is found in a typical serving of instant noodles? Prevent Disease reported:9

“The dried noodle block was originally created by flash frying cooked noodles, and this is still the main method used in Asian countries, though air-dried noodle blocks are favored in Western countries. The main ingredients of the dried noodle are wheat flour, palm oil, and salt. Common ingredients of the flavoring powder are salt, monosodium glutamate, seasoning, and sugar.

…In June 2012, the Korea Food and Drug Administration (KFDA) found Benzopyrene (a cancer-causing substance) in six brands of noodles made by Nong Shim Company Ltd. Although the KFDA said the amounts were minuscule and not harmful, Nong Shim did identify particular batches of noodles with a problem, prompting a recall by October 2012.”

The monosodium glutamate (MSG) in instant noodles is reason enough to avoid them. MSG is an excitotoxin, which means it overexcites your nerve cells to the point of damage or death, causing brain dysfunction and damage to varying degrees -- and potentially even triggering or worsening learning disabilities, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Lou Gehrig's disease, and more.

Part of the problem is that free glutamic acid (MSG is approximately 78 percent free glutamic acid) is the same neurotransmitter that your brain, nervous system, eyes, pancreas, and other organs use to initiate certain processes in your body. Not to mention, MSG is also used to fatten up mice for scientific study. Yes, MSG is the perfect obesity drug. If you want to achieve your ideal body weight and health, avoid MSG at all costs.

Return to Whole, Living Foods for Optimal Health

Occasionally eating a package of instant noodles clearly won’t kill you, but when you make a habit of substituting convenience foods for real food, it’s only a matter of time before health problems will likely develop. Instant noodles are a prime example of the types of processed foods you want to avoid as much as possible, as they are virtually guaranteed to make you sick and fat if you indulge too much (and “too much” may be as little as a couple of times a week).

Processed foods encourage weight gain and chronic disease because they’re high in sugar, fructose, refined carbohydrates, and artificial ingredients, and low in nutrients and fiber. Processed foods are addictive and designed to make you overeat; they also encourage excessive food cravings, leading to weight gain. Eating processed foods also promotes insulin resistance and chronic inflammation, which are hallmarks of most chronic and/or serious diseases. On the other hand, people have thrived on vegetables, meats, eggs, fruits, and other whole foods for centuries, while processed foods were only recently invented.

Ditching processed foods requires that you plan your meals in advance, but if you take it step-by-step as described in my nutrition plan, it's quite possible, and manageable, to painlessly remove processed foods from your diet. You can try scouting out your local farmer's markets for in-season produce that is priced to sell, and planning your meals accordingly, but you can also use this same premise with supermarket sales. You can generally plan a week of meals at a time, making sure you have all ingredients necessary on hand, and then do any prep work you can ahead of time so that dinner is easy to prepare if you're short on time (and you can use leftovers for lunches the next day, so you don’t have to resort to instant noodles).

Source (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/eating-instant-noodles.aspx)

Maleficent
08-25-2015, 08:33 PM
I use Teflon and stainless steel.

Anthropos
08-25-2015, 08:36 PM
I've always preferred cast iron, but someone gave me one of those Tefal Titanium pans, are those also toxic?

Marusya
08-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Does this apply to Tefal Titanium pans as well?

According T-Fal, their cookware does not contain the banned PFOA, but it does contain:

All T-FAL non-stick coatings contain PTFE, (polytetrafluoroethylene) a remarkable plastic polymer. This is the slippery ingredient that makes the non-stick finish. PTFE is made up of "tetra fluoro ethylene" molecules that contain only carbon and fluorine. The non-stick coating is not attacked by acid or alkali bases and is very stable when heated. Health authorities in the US, Canada, France, Europe and other countries have approved non-stick PTFE coatings for use on cookware. Actually, it is an inert substance which does not enter into chemical reactions with food, water, or household cleaners. If ingested, it is totally innocuous to the body. Non-stick is so safe it is frequently used by the medical profession for coating heart stimulators, small pipes used as replacement arteries, and has even been injected into patients with serious kidney conditions.

To cause any possible hazard to the consumer, it would be necessary to heat 36 non-stick frying pans simultaneously to 750° F. Since in a domestic kitchen the maximum temperature possible to which a pan can normally be heated is approximately 575° F, there is no risk should a pan be accidentally overheated.

I wouldn't want to cook my food in a pan coated with plastic polymers.

Anthropos
08-25-2015, 08:47 PM
I wonder if T-fal and Tefal are the same. In any case I'm probably gonna ditch the Tefal pan anyway because it says not to heat it too much, seems stupid for a frying pan and also probably has something to do with the surface falling to pieces and ending up in the food.

Marusya
08-25-2015, 08:49 PM
I wonder if T-fal and Tefal are the same. In any case I'm probably gonna ditch the Tefal pan anyway because it says not to heat it too much, seems stupid for a frying pan and also probably has something to do with the surface falling to pieces and ending up in the food.

In some countries like the United States, Tefal is also marketed as T-Fal. DuPont insisted on the name change since Tefal was too similar to their product name of Teflon.

Anthropos
08-25-2015, 08:55 PM
That does it. I was always a sceptic against it anyway.

Anthropologique
08-25-2015, 09:06 PM
No! Teflon eventually separates from the cookware's base and can mix with your food. The coating also leaches chemicals.

Deneb
08-25-2015, 09:16 PM

All cheap chinese food is dangerous. Goji berries were very popular a years ago, then it was known they conteined hihg doses of pesticides. Be careful!

Scarlet Ibis
08-29-2015, 03:57 AM

No, don't ditch it. I want to keep it.

Anthropos
08-29-2015, 08:08 AM
No, don't ditch it. I want to keep it.

The coating was already damage and falling off anyway. But the food always tasted funny from it. I believe it's toxic even when it's new.

Fortis in Arduis
08-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Exactly, pans do not kill people, people do.

I tend to fry the spices and steam the vegetables separately, and I do not use the Teflon pan now, because it does not work on my induction hob.

Frying the vegetables is wasteful anyway.

My Teflon pan is degrading and one of my house guests uses it to fry bacon. I will ask him to throw it out.

Scarlet Ibis
08-29-2015, 03:49 PM
The coating was already damage and falling off anyway. But the food always tasted funny from it. I believe it's toxic even when it's new.

n/m