PDA

View Full Version : Here's my FTDNA results!

Potentia
08-29-2015, 08:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YZoF1Q9.png
http://i.imgur.com/IeWxBkJ.png

Potentia
08-29-2015, 08:29 PM
Do you guys think these results are accurate?

aksakallicocuk
08-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Do you have a Turkish background?

Potentia
08-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Do you have a Turkish background?

No. I do not.

Sikeliot
08-29-2015, 09:05 PM
You are literally part everything :lol:

I have everything in me more or less except Amerindian and Asian.

Potentia
08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
You are literally part everything :lol:

I have everything in me more or less except Amerindian and Asian.

Hah. Yeah. I guess so.

Gooding
08-29-2015, 09:22 PM
What an interesting thread! This looks like a wonderful variety of ancestry you've got! :thumb001:

Potentia
08-29-2015, 09:25 PM
What an interesting thread! This looks like a wonderful variety of ancestry you've got! :thumb001:

Thank you! Do you think FTDNA is accurate?

aksakallicocuk
08-29-2015, 09:30 PM
No. I do not.

You are a mongoloid-neareastern-european mix like %75 of Turks ,and i have checked your photos and you can pass in turkey easily i think.

Longbowman
08-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Thank you! Do you think FTDNA is accurate?

No. Add your NE asian to your Amerind, for example.

Potentia
08-29-2015, 09:33 PM

So. My Origins is not accurate at all?

Potentia
08-29-2015, 09:35 PM
You are a mongoloid-neareastern-european mix like %75 of Turks ,and i have checked your photos and you can pass in turkey easily i think.

Hm. That is interesting. No, I am a Mexican/European Mix.

Longbowman
08-29-2015, 09:36 PM
So. My Origins is not accurate at all?

Not compared to 23andme.

Dylan
08-29-2015, 09:36 PM
those are some cool results!

Potentia
08-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Not compared to 23andme.
Right. I thought that My Origins goes back further than 23andme?

Potentia
08-29-2015, 09:39 PM
those are some cool results!

Thanks!

Berahthraban
08-29-2015, 09:41 PM

Well going back further shouldn't be too relevant, or am I wrong? You're barely gonna get 1% from ancestors that lived for, lets say, 300 years ago.

Potentia
08-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Well going back further shouldn't be too relevant, or am I wrong? You're barely gonna get 1% from ancestors that lived for, lets say, 300 years ago.

Right. Didn't think about that.

Longbowman
08-29-2015, 09:43 PM

FTDNA's autosomal work is shoddy. Their haplogroup data is far superior though. Further? what do you mean? 25,000 years ago to before East Asians and Native Americans divided? sure, that's useful, and it's also useful to mislabel the results to indicate recent decent. Their algorithms are just six years out of date and they can't distinguish between non-Europeans.

Potentia
08-29-2015, 09:54 PM
FTDNA's autosomal work is shoddy. Their haplogroup data is far superior though. Further? what do you mean? 25,000 years ago to before East Asians and Native Americans divided? sure, that's useful, and it's also useful to mislabel the results to indicate recent decent. Their algorithms are just six years out of date and they can't distinguish between non-Europeans.

Actually. I'm not really sure. Maybe, they determine more ancient lineages?

Carlito's Way
08-29-2015, 10:02 PM
interesting results

Potentia
08-29-2015, 10:27 PM

Alright. What other inaccuracies do you think there are?

Gooding
08-29-2015, 10:37 PM

I would defer to Longbowman on this one, Potentia.

Longbowman
08-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Actually. I'm not really sure. Maybe, they determine more ancient lineages?

Not really. Just shoddiness and poorly defined reference populations.

Longbowman
08-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Alright. What other inaccuracies do you think there are?

Scandinavia seems unlikely - actually FTDNA gives wildly different results for different people of the same ethnicity. Some British Islanders get 100% Briton, some get 5% Briton, 40% Scandinavian, 20% Southern, 20% Western, etc.

Potentia
08-29-2015, 10:53 PM
Scandinavia seems unlikely - actually FTDNA gives wildly different results for different people of the same ethnicity. Some British Islanders get 100% Briton, some get 5% Briton, 40% Scandinavian, 20% Southern, 20% Western, etc.

Hm. Well. Not totally inaccurate. I do have Scandinavian in my Family Tree.

Longbowman
08-29-2015, 10:54 PM
Hm. Well. Not totally inaccurate. I do have Scandinavian in my Family Tree.

How much, a grandparent? It's unrealistically high.

Potentia
08-30-2015, 01:47 AM
How much, a grandparent? It's unrealistically high.

I'm pretty sure.

Sikeliot
08-30-2015, 01:48 AM
Each test has its benefits. 23andme underestimates non-European admixture, but is more accurate with differentiating between ethnicities within the same race.

Gooding
08-30-2015, 01:58 AM
Bump.

Petalpusher
08-30-2015, 03:37 AM
Would have been better to test a parent or a ydna/mtdna sequence. I still don't understand why people want to test themselves 2 or even 3 times. Testing a parent on Ftdna, sure why not...eventually transfer it to ydna markers, etc.. you get a new raw data and perspective on one side of the family, but the same dna... you are buying 3 times the same thing with a different package. And if you are coming from 23, you basically just getting a worse AC for 100$. It's like these old mdlp/euro runs who give you, Western Europe + Balto-Finnic+ Mediterranean and whatnot. We don't even run them for fun.

There s nothing really to comment, we already saw your 23 and gedmatch runs, which would be exactly the same based on FTDNA datas at 0.5% accuracy (23's are probably even closer to reality)

Potentia
08-31-2015, 02:01 AM
Would have been better to test a parent or a ydna/mtdna sequence. I still don't understand why people want to test themselves 2 or even 3 times. Testing a parent on Ftdna, sure why not...eventually transfer it to ydna markers, etc.. you get a new raw data and perspective on one side of the family, but the same dna... you are buying 3 times the same thing with a different package. And if you are coming from 23, you basically just getting a worse AC for 100$. It's like these old mdlp/euro runs who give you, Western Europe + Balto-Finnic+ Mediterranean and whatnot. We don't even run them for fun.

There s nothing really to comment, we already saw your 23 and gedmatch runs, which would be exactly the same based on FTDNA datas at 0.5% accuracy (23's are probably even closer to reality)

Yeah... I guess it's a addiction at this point.

StixNstones
11-20-2016, 01:09 PM
What an interesting mix! Out of curiosity, does your Scandinavian results correspond to your known family tree info? I often wonder about how representative the tests are with NE European countries.

GoneWithTheWind
11-20-2016, 01:37 PM

No. Ftdna autosomal is shit

Dema
11-20-2016, 01:50 PM
I mean you are American so why would they not be correct :D all of this is possible

Congrats btw.

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 02:19 PM

Remember most people do not know everything about their ancestors beyond about three generations so any of these results you are getting are possible. You might have had a Turkish, Kurdish, or Iranian ancestor you do not know about. Most likely you do. Most people have some ancestry from the ME. It was the cradle of life. My results line up with what I have learned on gedmatch. Also, there are some real prejudice idiots on this site. Take what they tell you with a grain of salt.

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 02:20 PM
No. Ftdna autosomal is shit

Shit is 23&me who left over 60% of my dna nonspecific.

Dema
11-20-2016, 02:26 PM

Yea i think ftdna is good an ima about to take it now since its down as 49$ or something like that.
And they already have my sample since i did Y37

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Yea i think ftdna is good an ima about to take it now since its down as 49$ or something like that.

The only thing I am skeptical about is it gave me no Southern European ancestry. It gave me eastern and central which I guess the Italian can fall there. On Gedmatch I have some Sicilian genes and a little bit of every ME country. I showed 18% Middle Eastern on FTDNA. It gave me the same amount of Eastern European as AncestryDNA which was cool. FT does not have a million subgroups which I think is good. You can upload to gedmatch to get more specifics.

GoneWithTheWind
11-20-2016, 02:51 PM

Enjoy your anatolian caucasus score. If you wanna get Balkan % do 23andme

GoneWithTheWind
11-20-2016, 02:54 PM

23andme is good for albanians. But looking at your origin no wonder they did.

The op doesnt have any turkish, kurdish or iranian ancestors. Trust me. He just has south euro which shitty ftdna shows as caucasus and anatolian and generally middle eastern

While Ancestrydna shows balkan origin as greek/italian

Dema
11-20-2016, 02:55 PM

What you mean by my anatolian caucasus score?

Some Albanian who is good in genetics just messaged me that 23andme is waste of money

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 02:58 PM
23andme is good for albanians. But looking at your origin no wonder they did.

The op doesnt have any turkish, kurdish or iranian ancestors. Trust me. He just has south euro which shitty ftdna shows as caucasus and anatolian and generally middle eastern

While Ancestrydna shows balkan origin as greek/italian

You mean potentia?

Trojet
11-20-2016, 03:01 PM

I think FTDNA for $59 ($49 with coupon) is a much better deal than 23andMe (it's obvious us Albanians will score high on Balkan at 23andMe being Balkan folks).
I have seen Albanians on FTDNA MyOrigins do score about 20% 'Asia Minor', but it's inaccurate because it's the same for everyone. FTDNA's 'MyOrigins' ethnicity estimate is supposed to be updated, so I expect this to change and be assigned more properly. In addition to finding autosomal relatives, one can can download their raw data and upload to GedMatch to see how they compare to other people, no matter where they tested.

GoneWithTheWind
11-20-2016, 03:01 PM
What you mean by my anatolian caucasus score?

Some Albanian who is good in genetics just messaged me that 23andme is waste of money

Italians and Albanians on ftdna get caucasus anf anatolian. Even greeks do. And even Serbs. It counts some the of the ancient Balkan as anatolian and caucasus. A waste of money.

If 23andme is a waste of money then so is everything else. Atleast it has a Balkan category.

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Italians and Albanians on ftdna get caucasus anf anatolian. Even greeks do. And even Serbs. It counts some the of the ancient Balkan as anatolian and caucasus. A waste of money.

If 23andme is a waste of money then so is everything else. Atleast it has a Balkan category.

Balkan is nothing more than Slavic. It should not even be a category. Besides, he can up load his data on GEDmatch and break it down to get more specifics.

GoneWithTheWind
11-20-2016, 03:06 PM
I think FTDNA for $59 ($49 with coupon) is a much better deal than 23andMe (it doesn't really matter if someone gets high 'Balkan' score at 23andMe).
I have seen Albanians on FTDNA MyOrigins do score about 20% 'Asia Minor', but it doesn't mean it's correct because it's for everyone. Their 'MyOrigins' ethnicity estimate is supposed to be updated, so I expect this to change. In addition, one can can download their raw data and upload to GedMatch to see how they compare to other people, no matter where they tested.

So whats the point of testing for a company that counts some of the south european as asian minor? When its obvious its not ancestry of something recently. Its most likely just noise then.

23andme isnt the only one that has a own balkan. There are others with similar.

Ancestrydna shows balkan as italian and greek. Also inaccurate and a waste of money

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 03:08 PM
So whats the point of testing for a company that counts some of the south european as asian minor? When its obvious its not ancestry of something recently. Its most likely just noise then.

23andme isnt the only one that has a own balkan. There are others with similar.

Ancestrydna shows balkan as italian and greek. Also inaccurate and a waste of money

You can't know that for certain without breaking it down with calculators. Like I said most do not know but 3 generations of their family at best.

GoneWithTheWind
11-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Balkan is nothing more than Slavic. It should not even be a category. Besides, he can up load his data on GEDmatch and break it down to get more specifics.

Balkan is slavic? So why dont slavs get high balkan then? Except for some south slavs. Albanians get the highest. You are unaware obviously.

Balkan is a category that is very needed.

Balkan is ancient balkan component, its not italian as ancestrydna predicts it, neither is it caucasus/anatolian

Nothing to do with slavs here. What are u even talking about...

GoneWithTheWind
11-20-2016, 03:14 PM
You can't know that for certain without breaking it down with calculators. Like I said most do not know but 3 generations of their family at best.

If those results were accurate then they would plot with ppl of asia minor but they dont.
You see albanians get high asia minor and 100% tuscan on ftdna
Tuscans get similar results. Even a thracian clusters next to tuscans.

So according to you tuscans and albos have recent asia minor origin?

Skerdilaid
11-26-2016, 06:48 PM

Balkan category is just as bad as any other to be honest, and it's used by them basically to simplify ones ancestry profile. Why we score the highest is still beyond me. Here is what the sample is composed of (my profile):
http://oi64.tinypic.com/2res4s8.jpg

They have as much Maltese as Albanians in there lol

The Illyrian Warrior
11-27-2016, 12:43 PM
I think FTDNA for $59 ($49 with coupon) is a much better deal than 23andMe (it's obvious us Albanians will score high on Balkan at 23andMe being Balkan folks).
I have seen Albanians on FTDNA MyOrigins do score about 20% 'Asia Minor', but it's inaccurate because it's the same for everyone. FTDNA's 'MyOrigins' ethnicity estimate is supposed to be updated, so I expect this to change and be assigned more properly. In addition to finding autosomal relatives, one can can download their raw data and upload to GedMatch to see how they compare to other people, no matter where they tested.

Are you suggesting that autosomal testing is not reliable with FtDNA? I heard that for y chromosome results is much better though.

Trojet
11-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Are you suggesting that autosomal testing is not reliable with FtDNA? I heard that for y chromosome results is much better though.

Not that their autosomal is unreliable, but rather their ethnicity make up calculator seems not to be optimized. I think some Southern Euro component their calculator simply assigns as "Asia Minor". I see Bulgarians score over 30% "Asia Minor" there.

As far as Y-DNA goes, they are as good as it gets... I think they should lower the pricing on their Y-DNA STR tests though, considering YSEQ now offers 37 markers for $85: https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=34

Vascontelo
04-06-2017, 03:42 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YZoF1Q9.png
http://i.imgur.com/IeWxBkJ.png

Have you tried gedmatch?

Erronkari
04-07-2017, 03:05 AM
Have you tried gedmatch?

Very interesting results. Quite typical for a "tico" of Central Valley (predoninantly euro), I think.

Vascontelo
04-07-2017, 03:46 AM
Very interesting results. Quite typical for a "tico" of Central Valley (predoninantly euro), I think.

But those results are from Potentia, not mine :p

Erronkari
04-07-2017, 03:57 AM
But those results are from Potentia, not mine :p

Oh... I'm so sorry for the mistake, mate....
I thought they were yours.
It's my attention deficit of course. :p

Vascontelo
04-07-2017, 05:52 AM
Oh... I'm so sorry for the mistake, mate....
I thought they were yours.
It's my attention deficit of course. :p

No problem, but actually i think my results could be similar to Potentia results. For the moment i just have "ancient origins" so i'm waiting for my origins maybe in the next hours.

Monrette
06-20-2018, 03:50 PM
you amerimutt