PDA

View Full Version : Sirop de Liège is now Halal

Marusya
08-30-2015, 04:41 AM
Move by Belgian syrup factory to enter Islamic markets sparks protests and a row over national identity. Some Belgians claim the food is now unfit for Catholics.

Belgians are raging over a minor change to the label of their favorite breakfast spread, said Béatrice Delvaux. The word “halal” recently appeared on the side of the jam like Sirop de Liège, signifying that it’s free from pork, alcohol, and other ingredients the Quran forbids Muslims from eating. In fact, the gooey fruit syrup has always been halal, because it contains no animal products; the label was added only to boost exports to Muslim countries.

Yet Sirop de Liège is a national institution, and the new designation led some grocers and officials to protest what they see as the creeping Islamization of society. Muslim-Belgians, meanwhile, felt that the outcry was a sign of Islamophobia. Both groups must try harder to see each other’s point of view. Non-Muslims should recognize the need to label for export, while Muslims should understand that people who don’t follow Islam chafe when they believe beloved products have been changed to meet that religion’s specifications. We need “a constructive debate, as in marriage counseling,” where each side can say, “This is what bothers me about the way you do things.” The point won’t be for one side to win, but for both to come up with “a way to live together.”

http://www.lesoir.be/962142/article/debats/editos/2015-08-14/halal-arretons-jouer-sur-peurs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/11808078/Belgian-fruit-syrup-faces-boycott-calls-over-halal-labelling.html

Smitty
08-30-2015, 04:45 AM
Well, there's no debate to be had. The Belgians are right; the Muslims are wrong.

Lawalye
08-30-2015, 01:23 PM
I do not understand the debate about it, for once that a Belgian product is appreciated abroad and is exported.

Even if I do understand that a lot of people considers them as traitors, that a company who produces one of the jewels of the local gastronomy obliges themselves to affix a naming halal, many believe that they exchanged their identity for financial interests and that they submit themselves to Islam which is against the perception that we have on the regionalist symbol that this syrup represents.

Now, the syrup of Liège is being boycotted and many prefer to buy similar products who don't have the "sirop de liège" label, this is the benefaction of this false problem because smaller local business are favored by the public opinion against a multinational company.

Mraz
08-30-2015, 01:42 PM
It is just a label that will allow this product to find a place in Arabic, Indonesian and other Muslim countries market. People who boycot are just Islamophobic morrons. Every product is Halal except the one that is Haram, so if you want to stop drinking Halal water, put alcohol in it, if you want your chocolate to stop being Halal, put pork in it...

abcd123
08-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Why the fuck do we need to conform to these fuckers?Why?So they can shoot us in our own countries?Chattanooga is not forgotten,you sick fucks!

Lawalye
08-30-2015, 01:57 PM
It is just a label that will allow this product to find a place in Arabic, Indonesian and other Muslim countries market. People who boycot are just Islamophobic morrons. Every product is Halal except the one that is Haram, so if you want to stop drinking Halal water, put alcohol in it, if you want your chocolate to stop being Halal, put pork in it...

Yes but put a halal label, it means also that they legitimize Islam.

It is obviously clear that the product has always been halal.

Proctor
08-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Why the fuck do we need to conform to these fuckers?Why?So they can shoot us in our own countries?Chattanooga is not forgotten,you sick fucks!

Edit: Misinterpreted what you were talking about

Lawalye
08-30-2015, 02:00 PM

They did that to export the product, it is necessary to have a halal label to export food to muslim countries.

abcd123
08-30-2015, 02:01 PM
How in the hell is Chattanooga related to this?

"Chattanooga Campaign or the Battles for Chattanooga, (November 23–25, 1863) Union Major General Ulysses S. Grant defeated Confederate General Braxton Bragg"

This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Chattanooga_shootings

Not everything I post is related to the Civil War.

Proctor
08-30-2015, 02:02 PM
This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Chattanooga_shootings

Not everything I post is related to the Civil War.

Yes, I just caught my mistake. My bad.

abcd123
08-30-2015, 02:02 PM
They did that to export the product, it is necessary to have a halal label to export food to muslim countries.

I don't deny that,but still.Put that goddamned label on the export batches and that's it!

Lawalye
08-30-2015, 02:03 PM

There are alcohol in the syrup, there are also alcohol in small amounts in a fresh fruit.

Mraz
08-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Yes but put a halal label, it means also that they legitimize Islam.

It is obviously clear that the product has always been halal.

They could just make a package for the export and keep the original one for the domestic market if it can avoid the polemic.
It is marketing, Muslims are consumers and are targeted for their money. I doubt the concept of Halal beer and champagne comes from a Muslim mind, same for most of those Halalisation ideas.

Tchek
09-01-2015, 01:00 PM
To boost exportation or to boost local consumption?