PDA

View Full Version : Server Downtime

Loki
09-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Hi everyone

My apologies for the inconvenience caused by server downtime for a few days. I was not at home, but travelling, so I could not properly troubleshoot and deal with the problem. It is fixed now, though, so let the show continue! :)

Gooding
09-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Awesome! My computer at home crashed, so I'm chilling at the library for a little while. It's good to see that the place is back up!

Cristiano viejo
09-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Disgusting with no Apricity, man!

Blake
09-03-2015, 02:52 PM
It's okay now.

zarzian
09-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks Loki, but any progress on shutting down the popups? I use an iphone to access the site but everytime I change pages I have 2 popups to go through.

Cristiano viejo
09-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks Loki, but any progress on shutting down the popups? I use an iphone to access the site but everytime I change pages I have 2 popups to go through.

same here

Loki
09-03-2015, 03:33 PM

No, I'm not going to shut down the popups. It provides vital funds to the Apricity project ... without it, it won't be possible to maintain this at present.

You should be able to get some kind of ad blocker on your iPhone? Ad blockers are available for most browsers on desktop computers. Why isn't there something similar for mobile phones? :confused:

Dombra
09-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Where did you go :)

Beit El
09-03-2015, 04:48 PM
No, I'm not going to shut down the popups. It provides vital funds to the Apricity project ... without it, it won't be possible to maintain this at present.

You should be able to get some kind of ad blocker on your iPhone? Ad blockers are available for most browsers on desktop computers. Why isn't there something similar for mobile phones? :confused:

If you use ad-block the ads don't display, meaning you won't get any funds for it. By using pop-ups you force people to use ad-block, and by forcing people to use ad-block you rob yourself of funds.

Annie999
09-04-2015, 12:27 AM
People having trouble with the pop ups on their iphones, I solved that installing "adblock" plugin on my iphone, do it and the problem should be solved

Svipdag
09-04-2015, 01:56 AM
Hi everyone

My apologies for the inconvenience caused by server downtime for a few days. I was not at home, but travelling, so I could not properly troubleshoot and deal with the problem. It is fixed now, though, so let the show continue! :)

I don't mind telling you that I was quite alarmed. I remembered how Blut und Boden, my favorite earlier forum, suddenly vanished without any explanation.
Whew ! I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am.

Gooding
09-04-2015, 03:04 PM

The popups are annoying, yes and there also seems to be a warning popup about a harmful virus threatening the computer that you can't actually get out of. I'm wondering whether or not the accumulated number of such popups might be part of the reason my computer crashed at home.

zarzian
09-04-2015, 03:48 PM
The popups are annoying, yes and there also seems to be a warning popup about a harmful virus threatening the computer that you can't actually get out of. I'm wondering whether or not the accumulated number of such popups might be part of the reason my computer crashed at home.

Even on the iPhone i got a popup from travellers.info that basically hijacked my safari browser and I couldn't chamge tabs or browse anymore, the only solution was to delete all history and cookies, a pain to type in all my passwords again...

Svipdag
09-04-2015, 06:30 PM

Nowadays, I access TheApricity through Chrome and am no longer bothered by pop-ups.

Loki
09-05-2015, 09:38 AM
If you use ad-block the ads don't display, meaning you won't get any funds for it. By using pop-ups you force people to use ad-block, and by forcing people to use ad-block you rob yourself of funds.

I know. But I am honest with my members, I want them to have a good experience (otherwise I could have censored the words Ad Block, like some other site owners). It's a compromise. Not everyone will install Ad Block, especially not guests - from whom I get the most traffic.