PDA

View Full Version : Hails from the Stead of Elm!

Dreyrithoka
01-27-2009, 04:20 AM
I am Nazrath, and I foremost consider myself a poet. Due to my unyielding love of Early Modern English, I doth affect its mannerisms wherever I am able. I hath oft been told this canst verily cause the utmost of problems for less English literate readers, and as such 'twouldst be best if I was advised as to whether this is something that shalt also be a problem in these electronic chambers.

To move on to subjects more informative, I am a compulsive scholar and an experimental musician, and I also am a keen historian with an intense love of swordplay. I abhor television and the majority modern society, but to begin lamentation in such areas wouldst lead unto a rather ostentatiously lengthy introduction, ergo I shalt move swiftly on.

My discovery of Odinism came after a long and technically ongoing period of studying the role of spiritualism and morality within differing religious or philosophical frameworks. My initial dislike of Abrahamic faiths led me through Satanism to varying strains of Buddhism, Daoism, and Hinduism ere I returned to European methods. This initial external branching was in all likelihood due to my research of Hellenic and Egyptian myths in my pre-adolescence, along with my world travel during my teenage years.

I re-read my English legends to begin with, familiarising myself once more with the old folk tales one usually takes for granted, ere beginning to look at Druidry. I found the veil of Wiccanism hard to pass through, but once I managed to specify the proper criteria, I didst learn much that, to mine own ear, still sounded foreign. It didst remind myself too heavily of a lake or shire, when I hath always at heart felt akin towards forests or mountains.

Then, I realised my problem all along, which was that I was looking outward. I researched my family name and discovered my mixed Norman and Frisian heritage along with my family legacies of which I shalt not detail here, but suffice to say it didst finally bring my studies to consider Odinism, which hath seemed rather intuitive to myself in a way that Jung wouldst probably ascribe to archetypal merit. I tend towards a metaphorical approach when reading texts as so best to distill their meaning, and meld something of mine own philosophies with what I learn.

Mine patron deities art Wodanaz and Forseti, mine hereditary runes othila and raitho, and I hold special reverence for the black sun as an Odinic representation of "Void" in a Zen sense. These art personal ties to avatars and concepts that hath been inexorably showed in mine own experiences through the web of Wyrd, and mine studies hath much to encompass henceforth...

Anyway, I apologise for posting elsewhere ere this introduction, but I came here originally by request of Psychonaut to post Jung's "Wotan" essay, and was in the middle of a few things when I did so, ergo forgetting protocol. I canst see a fair amount of cross-referencing being done 'twixt Skadi and here in the coming months...or plausibly years...

Loyalist
01-27-2009, 04:26 AM
Fascinating introduction, and welcome to the Apricity! :thumb001:

Aemma
01-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Very cool intro Nazrath! Thank you! :) Undoubtedly one of the most poetic and creative ones I've read. I truly like your style. :)

And I remember your name now Nazrath from Odinist.net a couple of winters ago. :)

Well please do stay and make yourself at home here. There're many people to mingle with and threads to join in on.

And thank you again for the great intro :)

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Dreyrithoka
01-27-2009, 05:01 AM
What of mine choice of words? Shalt it offend to forum if I continue to speak thusly? I tend to think in such language, so 'tis easier to write for myself, although I realise the strain this canst place 'pon others...

Aemma
01-27-2009, 05:21 AM
What of mine choice of words? Shalt it offend to forum if I continue to speak thusly? I tend to think in such language, so 'tis easier to write for myself, although I realise the strain this canst place 'pon others...

It doesn't bother me any. :) We're pretty much free to express ourselves here as we so choose so I don't see a problem with your creative use of language. :) Let's take her out for a spin and see, shall we? ;)

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Loki
01-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Welcome to the Apricity! :)

Indeed, fascinating introduction. I shall be looking forward to reading your posts.

Great. No problem at all. Feel free as a bird to express yourself in any way. :thumbs up

Vulpix
01-27-2009, 08:10 AM

While it might not be too easy for non native speakers (of which I am one :):p), I am of the opinion your choice of words is fascinating and some exposure to Early Modern English can't hurt :). So there is no need for self censorship :D.

Warm welcomes to the Apricity :thumb001:!

HawkR
01-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Welcome:) And what an incredible intruduction:) And I love the way you write, I might not be an native speaker, but I do understand it never the less:)

Absinthe
01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Incredible introduction indeed! Welcome :)

Osweo
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I realise the strain this canst place 'pon others...
If you'll allow me likewise freedom to express my thoughts in the manner most natural to myself, then "It's doing ma Swede!" For a slightly broader audience, that might be satisfactorily rendered "It's doing my head in!", or taken to the least florid; "It places a fair strain upon me." :p

Your Grammar's all over the place man! -st is only for Thou. Thou shalt, thou hast, art, thinkest, mayst etc. and NOT for the other pronouns, I, he, she, it, they, you, we. The desired effect you're going for is better achieved through suitable use of more archaic phrasing. There are some good translations of the Nibelungenlied into this sort of courtly English, out on the net;
http://omacl.org/Nibelungenlied/index.html

Hello, anyway! :D

Psychonaut
01-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm glad you made it over! :thumb001:

MarcvSS
01-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Welkom...:thumbs up

Stossy
01-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Nice post you got there!

Welcome to the Apricity.