PDA

View Full Version : Are Levantines and their whiteness/Europoidness overrated on anthroboards?

Swarthist
09-05-2015, 06:06 AM
Some Anthroguys created a fictional image when they talk about the people of Levant. When I read their posts, I think they created a very European-looking image for Levantines. That imagery usually consist of:

- Those fictional Levantines are not similar to other Middle Easterns. They are just Arabic-speaking with 0% connection to Semites or other West Asian ethnic groups.

- Other West Asians are darker than Levantines, and they must be darker because some Anthrodudes want it in that way.

- Levantines and specially Lebanese can't be similar to other MENAs and WAs. It's impossible because they are pure light-skinned Europids and the others are SSA.

- Christian Levantines are whiter than their Muslim kins. Note: in reality and in the many situations, it's completely reverse. xD

Most of supporters of this "fictional image" are Some Southern European anthromen and OWD-Levantines. It's very funny when you see they bash other WAs. I
don't deny that some Lebanese are pale, and I myself consider Lebanese as whitest Arabs. But I see Lebanese and other Levantines as just another Middle Eastern ethnic groups. Caucasian yes but white/European NO.

It's a fact that West Asians cluster together. Despite their differences (language and religion) and ethnic background, most of them are descendants of ancient Near/Middle Easterns. Fully Native with some influences from non-native invaders and settlers.

StonyArabia
09-05-2015, 06:23 AM
Yes their heavily Whitewashed.

wvwvw
09-05-2015, 06:26 AM
It's not a fictional image, it's just that they are a minority. Many Syrians look like Beduins and Arabs but a minority looks Med and look more alike Med countries than their beduin compatriots, still they are a minority.

Profileid
09-05-2015, 06:29 AM
lol at anyone saying Levantines aren't Semitic. The Phoenicians, Assyrians, Arameans were Semites.

Antimage
09-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Sikeliot wants Levantines to be recognized as whites

Sikeliot
09-05-2015, 07:00 AM
The similarity of Levantines to Europeans is underestimated, not overestimated.

Imamudin
09-05-2015, 07:04 AM

That's true, many of them, particularly Syrians and Lebanese, can pass as Southern European without problems.

Casandrinos
09-05-2015, 08:15 AM

I guess you've been there and observed that.

Tooting Carmen
09-05-2015, 08:20 AM
It's not a fictional image, it's just that they are a minority. Many Syrians look like Beduins and Arabs but a minority looks Med and look more alike Med countries than their beduin compatriots, still they are a minority.

A good way of putting it.

themrdude1990
09-05-2015, 08:26 AM
they are a bit whitewashed and i know looots of levantines so ik what im talking about

Annie999
09-05-2015, 08:57 AM
As I said before my own g-grandpa was levantine from Lebanon and looked very white, I was told he was an exception though, but then I met another Lebanese and he's very white looking, I would have never guessed he was Middle eastern. So I don't know, from my personal experience people at least from Lebanon look 'whiter' than the typical middle eastern.

MsSPF
09-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Yes, I agree, I know Levantines too and they are white washed here which doesnt mean they can't be similar wih southern europeans sometimes and overlap doesnt exist. They are still Med people but they overlap more with their neighbors Arabians, Turks, North Africans and Iraqis/Iranians. Their lightness is clearly overestimated (which doesnt mean it doesnt exist because it exists) and their darkness underestimated a lot. Many people talk here but know nothing.

Oddone
09-05-2015, 03:14 PM

Not fictional but overestimated (I have been in Lebanon in 2011).

Berahthraban
09-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Yes, they are a bit whitewashed.

Shah-Jehan
09-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Most of the Lebanese I know look very med, but some look Arabid influenced as well. I don't think Levantine "Europoidness" is overrated but rather over-expressed.

StonyArabia
09-05-2015, 03:31 PM
As I said before my own g-grandpa was levantine from Lebanon and looked very white, I was told he was an exception though, but then I met another Lebanese and he's very white looking, I would have never guessed he was Middle eastern. So I don't know, from my personal experience people at least from Lebanon look 'whiter' than the typical middle eastern.

Crusader blood is not that uncommon in Lebanon, although ironically its more found among the Muslims

ĮGUIA
09-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Many people talk here but know nothing.

The truth! That's a trend that many follow around here...

meisje
09-05-2015, 03:47 PM
:bored:

MsSPF
09-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Only Minority of the Lebanis and Syrians look like White Europeans

I think These People are average Levantines, They have still strong semitic Features

http://lebanesebasketball.net/content/uploads/2014/04/teamleb1.jpg

not really, these guys represent perfectly the average Lebanese :

http://rue89.nouvelobs.com/sites/news/files/assets/image/2014/09/mashrouleila-karimghattas_1.jpg

http://levant.tv/EN/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mashrou-Leila.png

http://www.artisthick.ma/wp-content/uploads/BumVNyUIMAAwLT7.jpg

Kamal900
09-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Some Anthroguys created a fictional image when they talk about the people of Levant. When I read their posts, I think they created a very European-looking image for Levantines. That imagery usually consist of:

- Those fictional Levantines are not similar to other Middle Easterns. They are just Arabic-speaking with 0% connection to Semites or other West Asian ethnic groups.

- Other West Asians are darker than Levantines, and they must be darker because some Anthrodudes want it in that way.

- Levantines and specially Lebanese can't be similar to other MENAs and WAs. It's impossible because they are pure light-skinned Europids and the others are SSA.

- Christian Levantines are whiter than their Muslim kins. Note: in reality and in the many situations, it's completely reverse. xD

Most of supporters of this "fictional image" are Some Southern European anthromen and OWD-Levantines. It's very funny when you see they bash other WAs. I
don't deny that some Lebanese are pale, and I myself consider Lebanese as whitest Arabs. But I see Lebanese and other Levantines as just another Middle Eastern ethnic groups. Caucasian yes but white/European NO.

It's a fact that West Asians cluster together. Despite their differences (language and religion) and ethnic background, most of them are descendants of ancient Near/Middle Easterns. Fully Native with some influences from non-native invaders and settlers.

Yes, we Levantines are not only west Asians but we also cluster with other MENA groups far closer than to any European peoples in Europe. I myself i'm pale and etc, but i'm not ashamed to consider myself to be middle eastern and Arab. I'm far more closer to an Assyrian, Mizhari Jews, Cypriots, other Levantines, Iranians and etc than to Southern Europeans genetically(see my Gedmatch results thread).

meisje
09-05-2015, 03:53 PM

MsSPF
09-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Who are these people, Circassians,Armenians?

Lebanese

meisje
09-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Lebanese

Ok, I still think minority of them look like Southern Euros

MsSPF
09-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Ok, I still think minority of them look like Southern Euros

Of course, they can overlap sometimes with southern Europeans but most of them looks clearly Middle Eastern and overlap more with Arabians/North Africans/Turks/Iraqis/Iranians. Levantines are Middle Eastern, not Europeans.
Light individuals exist in Levant, it's not the problem and I would even say it's frequent. But the problem here is that few persons overestimate this frequency and underestimate their darkness.
I know what kind of persons you are talking about and they exist. I know few Syrians and saw many Syrian refugees in Algeria. I've seen them too but I also saw very dark Syrians with pseudo south Asians look.

spanish catalan
09-05-2015, 04:07 PM
tony shalhoub is one good example of levantines

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ljhkix.jpg

Sikeliot
09-05-2015, 04:08 PM
not really, these guys represent perfectly the average Lebanese :

http://rue89.nouvelobs.com/sites/news/files/assets/image/2014/09/mashrouleila-karimghattas_1.jpg

http://levant.tv/EN/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mashrou-Leila.png

http://www.artisthick.ma/wp-content/uploads/BumVNyUIMAAwLT7.jpg

They really look similar to Mizrahi Jews. But on an individual level all of them could be southern Italian so I do not think they look too strange.

Bagot
09-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Yes their heavily Whitewashed.

+ 1

Hydromorphone
09-05-2015, 09:14 PM

I'm not sure about it being reversed, but Christian populations in Lebanon are distinct from their Muslim brethren. The first clustering with Jordanians and Palestinians and the other with Syrians. I don't know what the ramifications are of that, but that's what they say.

Kivan
01-28-2020, 11:07 AM
Yes, they look like any other Arabs to me.