PDA

View Full Version : Escaped Convict Turns Up at Prison Gates

Äike
08-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Escaped Convict Turns Up at Prison Gates (http://news.err.ee/dd4a9056-de5b-45be-a881-54ecad91b740)

A 20-year-old inmate who broke out of a medium-security prison over the weekend evidently had second thoughts and voluntarily returned to the facility less than 24 hours after his escape.

Guards at Murru prison near Tallinn first noticed something was amiss when Ruslan Villonen, who was serving a sentence for rape, breaking and entering, and illegal use of another person's property, was absent from roll call at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday.

An investigation was launched immediately after the discovery, however at 10:30 p.m. Villonen returned to the prison voluntarily and gave himself up.

Villonen's method of escape and the reason he came back are not being released to the public, according to Diana Kõmmus, a spokeswoman for the Ministry of Justice.

"Criminal proceedings have been initiated and therefore we are not at liberty at this time to reveal any details... of his escape nor his motivation behind the escape or his return to prison," she said.

"We can say, however, that in addition to the criminal proceedings also an internal enquiry will be carried out and all procedures will certainly be reviewed and amended, if necessary."

Villonen's term began in August 2007 and he had been scheduled for release in March 2015.

Kõmmus stressed that in Estonia escapes from prison territories are extremely rare, with most problems occurring when inmates are outside the facilities during, for example, hospital visits and transfers.

I think this is the first time when I have heard about anyone escaping prison in Estonia, I find it very ironical that he voluntarily returned :laugh: