PDA

View Full Version : UK parliament calls off screening controversial film

MarcvSS
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
UK parliament calls off screening controversial film

LONDON: The UK’s parliament has cancelled the screening of a controversial film, titled ‘Fitna’, by right-wing Dutch MP Geert Wilders following vociferous protest by the Muslim community.

The screening was to take place on January 29 at the House of Lords. The decision to cancel the showing was taken on Friday when Lord Nazir Ahmed held a meeting with the government chief whip of the House of Lords and leader of the House, together with representatives from the Muslim Council of Britain, the British Muslim Forum and other representatives from the British Muslim community.

The film has created a huge controversy around the world, especially in Europe. The decision by the Amsterdam Appeals Court, the second-highest legal authority in the country, overturns an earlier ruling by the Dutch Prosecution Service – which last June dismissed hundreds of complaints against Wilders on the grounds that his utterances had been made ‘in the context of public debate’. But on Thursday, the appeals court argued that the criminal prosecution did not conflict with Wilders’ right to freedom of expression, and said it based its decision on the standards set by the European Court of Human Rights. The Far-right Dutch politician will now be put on trial for his public statements against Islam.

Source (http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009%5C01%5C24%5Cstory_24-1-2009_pg7_44)

Beorn
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I find all this nonsense about the insulting of Islam and the furore over the film in particular, to be rather tiresome if not boring.

If I want to watch the opinion of someone's view of a religion I have no connections with; even if it is insulting, it is of no concern to Lord Nazir Ahmed nor the Muslim community if I do so.

The Muslims should be grovelling on their knees at the tolerance with which this country, and other European countries, have subscribed to to attempt to integrate and welcome foreigners and alien religious peoples.

Lord Nazir Ahmed should learn more of English history and be warned that the English ever only take so much before they snap. It takes a lot, but 'snap' we do.

Galloglaich
01-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I find all this nonsense about the insulting of Islam and the furore over the film in particular, to be rather tiresome if not boring.

If I want to watch the opinion of someone's view of a religion I have no connections with; even if it is insulting, it is of no concern to Lord Nazir Ahmed nor the Muslim community if I do so.

The Muslims should be grovelling on their knees at the tolerance with which this country, and other European countries, have subscribed to to attempt to integrate and welcome foreigners and alien religious peoples.

Lord Nazir Ahmed should learn more of English history and be warned that the English ever only take so much before they snap. It takes a lot, but 'snap' we do.

Our history has shown that in times of peace we are the most tolerant (perhaps too much?) and enlightened people on Earth...in times of war we are capable of the most destructive impulses the world has ever seen. Apparently the Islamic radicals are incapable of recognizing the implications of either aspect.

Btw, here is the video...caution, some scenes are a bit graphic:

(http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3369102968312745410)