PDA

View Full Version : Take the Science Quiz - The average American can only manage a “C.”

wvwvw
09-12-2015, 07:58 PM
How Much do YOU Know About Science?
Take the interactive test that researchers used to find the average American only gets a C grade

By Mark Prigg
Daily Mail
September 12, 2015
Email Print
FacebookTwitterShare

When put to the test, Americans rate a solid if unspectacular C in science, a new study has found.

The Pew Research Center found in a basic quiz of a dozen random science questions, Americans got eight correct, according to an online survey of more than 3,200 adults.

The questions ranged from what kind of waves are used in cell phones to interpreting a scatterplot graph.

How much do you know about science topics?

Test your knowledge of science facts and applications of scientific principles by taking our short 12-question quiz. Then see how you did in comparison with a nationally representative group of 3,278 randomly selected U.S. adults surveyed online and by mail between Aug. 11 and Sept. 3, 2014 as members of the Pew Research Center’s American Trends Panel.

When you finish, you will be able to compare your scores with the average American and compare responses across demographic groups. The analysis of the findings from the poll can be found in the full report, “A Look At What the Public Does and Does Not Know About Science.”
http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/09/10/what-the-public-knows-and-does-not-know-about-science/

Take the Quiz:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3229935/How-know-science-interactive-test-researchers-used-average-American-gets-C-grade.html

nicalandia
09-12-2015, 11:23 PM
this is me.. quite easy to say the least

http://i57.tinypic.com/28r1lz5.jpg

Prism
09-12-2015, 11:32 PM
I've just finished high school/secondary school and I'm 19.

I got 10 out of 12

Jesus the average American is dumber than I thought. Lol at the altitude/water boiling question, I can so imagine a yank having a thorough think about about it and then answering incorrectly.

Hydromorphone
09-13-2015, 12:26 AM
12 out of 12

I am university educated, though. But either way, I wouldn't put too much stock into a small test like that. Too little questions, and it shows you have a broad or generalized understanding of science - plus some gimme questions, I doubt anyone failed the Polio one by guessing Einstein, some of the other ones weren't bad. My interests in science are a little more specialized, so while I answer a lot of questions on this forum about a variety of things, I'm not the one to ask about most math or physics questions. But if you asked about most biology fields, (psycho)-pharmacology, and so on I know a lot more. While educated people may be more apt to answer these questions by eliminating options they know are obviously wrong, it doesn't mean they know much about the properties or mechanisms behind some of the answers given. If someone told me they got a 4/12 on this little test but had their Ph.D in some field or other I wouldn't doubt it.

Lots of news sites like to peddle these kinds of quizzes as actually representive of something other than just bored men and women of a variety of ages who happened to get the survey and whizzed out some answers while watching Netflix or something.

Profileid
09-13-2015, 12:34 AM
"Which of these terms is defined as the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior?"
NOT SCIENCE

spanish catalan
09-13-2015, 12:36 AM
7 out of 12

Journeyman26
09-13-2015, 12:38 AM
11/12... but this short of the wavelength, boiling, and the graph interpretation questions there wasn't very many "scientific" questions. The comet is more of the classification question, the astrology one is an english question, I guess the earths core one could be considered basic geology. But most were encyclopedia facts, not really scientific questions. If you want to embarrass North Americans, do math questions hahaha. I remember in grade 11 we had a German exchange student.. he was so ahead of us it wasnt funny.

Also its all on the honor system, so realistically you could just repeat the quiz and take a picture at the end with whatever score you wanted.

Damião de Góis
09-13-2015, 12:46 AM
8/12

I missed these:

Denver, Colorado, is at a higher altitude than Los Angeles, California. Which of these statements is correct?

Which of these pictures best illustrates what happens when light passes through a magnifying glass?

The loudness of a sound is determined by what property of a sound wave?

Which of these people developed the polio vaccine?

Hydromorphone
09-13-2015, 12:53 AM
Also its all on the honor system, so realistically you could just repeat the quiz and take a picture at the end with whatever score you wanted.

Yes, that would impress everyone far and wide. Just staple a screenshot to your dissertation and that Ph.D might as well be yours.

nicalandia
09-14-2015, 03:22 PM
it was easy for me because I finished high school in the USA(from freshmen to Senior),

de Burgh II
09-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Not going to lie; I got 7 out of 12 right which is approximately 58.33%. Reinforcing the stereotype one step at a time. xD

Old Brazilian
09-14-2015, 03:33 PM
9 correct out of 12....

Smitty
09-15-2015, 02:30 AM
I've just finished high school/secondary school and I'm 19.

I got 10 out of 12

Jesus the average American is dumber than I thought. Lol at the altitude/water boiling question, I can so imagine a yank having a thorough think about about it and then answering incorrectly.

I'm a Yank, and I did have to have a thorough think about it. :lol: Got it right, though.

11/12. Missed the one on the magnifying glass and had a tough time with the sound wave question. Science has never been my strength.

Bezprym
09-15-2015, 02:44 AM
9/12

Mistaken in:

Which of the following statements best describes the data in the graph below?

The loudness of a sound is determined by what property of a sound wave?

Denver, Colorado, is at a higher altitude than Los Angeles, California. Which of these statements is correct?

Prism
09-15-2015, 03:09 PM
I'm a Yank, and I did have to have a thorough think about it. :lol: Got it right, though.

11/12. Missed the one on the magnifying glass and had a tough time with the sound wave question. Science has never been my strength.

Nor mine, I am dreadful in mathematics, but seriously this test is a very simple. Most questions were very logical, no science is really needed. Water boils at a temperature of 100 degrees Celsius, an altitude of a region does not influence this at all.

щрбл
09-15-2015, 03:27 PM
12/12...Anyway, quote from the article :

Whites did better than blacks and Hispanics.
Ethnics seem to be stupid. :(

Ylla
09-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Expected more varied questions.12/12

nicalandia
09-15-2015, 06:56 PM
as I posted earlier I did 11/12, but I am a scientific minded guy(genetics, chemestry)

RandomlyRenounced
09-16-2015, 02:20 AM
10/12

Missed the one about sound, said it was amplitude.

And the one about stars and planets affecting human behavior, I didn't read "affecting human behavior," so I put astronomy.

Lawalye
09-16-2015, 05:23 AM
12/12

I didn't really understand every question, I'm too tired. I was lucky on the sound wave question but the others are pretty easy.

That's surprising that the majority don't know that the temperature to boil water differ with altitude.

Al-Meksiki
09-16-2015, 05:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hgzzGZw.png

Smitty
09-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Nor mine, I am dreadful in mathematics, but seriously this test is a very simple. Most questions were very logical, no science is really needed. Water boils at a temperature of 100 degrees Celsius, an altitude of a region does not influence this at all.

I believe altitude does influence the boiling point, actually. My rationale was that at a higher altitude, there would be less atmospheric pressure, allowing the water molecules to escape the liquid state more easily. Thus, the boiling point would be lower in Denver.

Lawalye
09-16-2015, 05:18 PM

It's 100 degrees celsius at sea level.

щрбл
09-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Boiling potatoes at higher altitude because the boiling point is lower however is much easier but it takes much longer to do so! The potatoes saved me at this question. xD