PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholics

Óttar
08-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Seriously, how many of you are alcoholics? I know you are out there.

Beorn
08-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it.

I'm an alcoholic the day I make sure I have more alcohol in the cupboards than I do food and electricity for the family.

Wyn
08-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I like a drink sometimes. Fairly regularly I suppose. Not alcoholic though. Alcohol doesn't have enough of an effect on me really. It takes a lot for me to become "drunk" and I'm hangover-resistant. A heavy night on the piss and I wake up feeling fresh as a daisy.

Eldritch
08-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Seriously, how many of you are alcoholics? I know you are out there.

Well, how many of you is an alcoholic? :p

Murphy
08-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm not an alcoholic yet.

Electronic God-Man
08-26-2010, 01:26 PM
My father was, my grandfather was, some of my uncles were and some still are, but I'm not.

Treffie
08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Don't touch the stuff, in fact I feel like wretching every time I pass a pub. :(

Äike
08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I drink rarely(a few times a month), but when I do drink, then a lot. I'm definitely not an alcoholic :p

Cato
08-26-2010, 02:41 PM
http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2006/12/Drunk-Main.jpg

Bloodeagle
08-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm a 6 pack a day alcoholic. I quite for a few months just to see if I could and the effects were similar to quitting my favorite breakfast cereal! ;)

So drinking is not a big deal to me. I just enjoy getting a lite buzz in the evenings. :D

Cato
08-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm a 6 pack a day alcoholic. I quite for a few months just to see if I could and the effects were similar to quitting my favorite breakfast cereal! ;)

So drinking is not a big deal to me. I just enjoy getting a lite buzz in the evenings. :D

Me too, let's see who can kill our kidneys, liver, and pancreas first! :D

Allenson
08-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I drink a few beers every night after work but that's about it. I've never felt the jitters or anything when I'm in a situation where I can't have a drink.....and nor does alcohol doesn't hamper my work or taking care of home & hearth. If those can be used as barometers, that is.

Cheers to ya!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/428209724_5f57ac33d4.jpg

Cato
08-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Beer is pretty mild compared to some of the stuff that people drink. So, a beer or two or even three won't do much to you (if you have tolerance), but it's easy to get going and not stop.

Äike
08-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Beer is pretty mild compared to some of the stuff that people drink. So, a beer or two or even three won't do much to you (if you have tolerance), but it's easy to get going and not stop.

How many percentages of alcohol do the beers in the US have? and how big are they(0.33L or 0.5L)?

Allenson
08-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Indeed, one turns into six pretty gol' dang fast some nights. :cool:

For hard stuff, gin is my favorite. Nothing like a gin & tonic on a warm summer's afternoon, feet up and looking out over the lake.

Man, being reasonable, must get drunk. -Lord Byron

Allenson
08-26-2010, 03:05 PM
How many percentages of alcohol do the beers in the US have? and how big are they(0.33L or 0.5L)?

It depends on the brand and the flavor. Some of the small, local brews can be quite strong. 8% or more.

Most name brand beers are 4-5%, I would guess.

Most cans & bottles are 12 oz. (.35 L) but one can buy big bottles too (24 oz. or so).

Pallantides
08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
One of my uncle's is an alcoholic.

Birka
08-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I drink about a six pack a year. I do like having a sip of single malt scotch occasionally. I stopped heavier drinking many years ago. My liver and my wallet thank me.

Liffrea
08-26-2010, 03:39 PM
My brother claims he was, the fact is he just couldn't drink, a difference. I rarely drink.

Austin
08-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I hate the taste of all alcohol but I drank some in college at parties and with friends. Also found out that having your own place is great not only for personal freedoms but also once girls find out you can buy alcohol and have your own place you tend to become immensely more popular with them and wow girls after a few beers are willing to do a lot (:

Sahson
08-26-2010, 04:12 PM
I was a heavy rum drinker, I still love the stuff. I would drink a bottle a night. I have stopped this year, only drinking on occasions. So far I have had 6 bottles this year. I just have a terrible habit of binge drinking, I have spent an entire day at the uni tavern drinking rum, and playing pool.

Bloodeagle
08-26-2010, 04:21 PM
I was a heavy rum drinker, I still love the stuff. I would drink a bottle a night. I have stopped this year, only drinking on occasions. So far I have had 6 bottles this year. I just have a terrible habit of binge drinking, I have spent an entire day at the uni tavern drinking rum, and playing pool.

As in 750ml of 40% ABV? Every night! :eek:
I would definitely be homeless and worthless if I drank like this. The old lady would surely kick me out of the house and I wouldn't be able to make it to work!

I am glad to hear that you quite drinking this year.

Cato
08-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Most commercial beer is around 5-6% alc. content, light beer, which I prefer, even less (4% alc. content or so).

A usual can or bottle is 12oz. (3/4 of a pint), but you can get 16oz. cans (1 pint), 24oz. cans (1 1/2 pint), and so forth. My usual rotgut is Coors Light, but Busch is cheaper and does the same thing. I won't touch shit like Old E or Keystone and if I want to drink something a bit more tasteful, it'll be something like a Sam Adams.

I can easily toss back 4 or 5 of the 24oz. cans in a single sitting, but the usual effects still apply (mild hangover, sleepiness, and whatnot). As I've been told, American beer is weak, which is both good and bad.

Sahson
08-26-2010, 04:39 PM
As in 750ml of 40% ABV? Every night! :eek:
I would definitely be homeless and worthless if I drank like this. The old lady would surely kick me out of the house and I wouldn't be able to make it to work!

I am glad to hear that you quite drinking this year.

one of these a night:-

http://www.hamperscentral.com/webshots/bundaberg_rum_hamper_511_480.jpg

Though I wouldn't drink on the weekends, and sometimes not on a monday night... New Years eve I drank 3 bacardis with a friend...

I turned up drunk to all my exams in 2009, I somehow managed to pass calculus drunk as well. 79% in exam, 50's and 40's% for the tests... barring the geometry which was 94%.

Eldritch
08-26-2010, 08:52 PM
It would be interesting to hear what are considered the limits of "normal" or unproblematic drinking in all of your respective countries?

In Finland it is 24 alcohol units per week for males, and 16 for females -- an alcohol unit being one beer, or a glass of wine, or one shot of vodka, whisky, etc.

one of these a night:-

Though I wouldn't drink on the weekends, and sometimes not on a monday night... New Years eve I drank 3 bacardis with a friend...

I turned up drunk to all my exams in 2009, I somehow managed to pass calculus drunk as well. 79% in exam, 50's and 40's% for the tests... barring the geometry which was 94%.

I don't want to patronise or make you feel uncomfortable, but considering your age I'd suggest giving it up completely for a while. If you like drinking, you have to moderate it -- if you don't, you'll end up in a situation where you can't ever drink again.

Loki
08-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Not me. Alcohol is definitely nice in moderation, and I use it recreationally if/when I go out with friends. Or the odd evening at home when I'm bored. But I can go for weeks without touching the stuff, it doesn't bother me. I generally dislike beer and lager (except Guinness).

I have been known to indulge in binging bouts, though.

San Galgano
08-26-2010, 09:08 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/bumper_sticker_w_funny_alcohol_saying-p128694163421462882tmn6_210.jpg

Yes i do drink a lot sometime. Life is too short to think what is good and what is not for you. So short indeed, that when you realize what is wrong and what is right, you are already old.

To the hell then.

Óttar
08-26-2010, 10:01 PM
[IMG]
Yes i do drink a lot sometime. Life is too short to think what is good and what is not for you. So short indeed, that when you realize what is wrong and what is right, you are already old.

To the hell then.
Well said. :D

In Finland it is 24 alcohol units per week for males, and 16 for females -- an alcohol unit being one beer, or a glass of wine, or one shot of vodka, whisky, etc.

You guys have sanction to drink over a bottle of vodka a week? :eek: I know Finns are the reigning world champions of drinkers! :p

I can put down a quarter of a bottle of vodka in one sitting. Last time I did that I didn't have a hangover. It kills my esophagus, so I traded it in for wine instead, but wine gets boring. Beer usually tastes like old watery bready crap and you get no bang for the buck and have to piss every two seconds. I prefer cider, but it is wicked expensive.

Men can put down 4x more alcohol than women before developing liver disease. I think it's the gods' apology for difficult women. "My sons, alas, it is 4x easier for a woman to get laid. Here, have 4x more vodka!" :D Then I read drinking just a bottle of wine a day for five years can give a man cirrhosis.

Cato
08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Glug glug glug.

Eldritch
08-26-2010, 10:10 PM
You guys have sanction to drink over a bottle of vodka a week? :eek: I know Finns are the reigning world champions of drinkers! :p

I meant that while people's livers and other organs are the same everywhere, medical attitudes actually vary. In this country, those are the limits the medical establishment says you should not exceed per week.

But of course there's nothing to stop you from drinking that much in a day if you want to -- and believe me, some people want to, and they do.

But considering Europe-wide per capita consumption, Finland is not anywhere near the top. Many people here may get shitfaced once a month (or week, or year, or day), but it's not that common here to have one or two drinks every day, like many people in the south do, which in the end adds up to more than the occasional total central nervous system shutdown.

But in this country alcohol consumption is on the rise, while in most of Europe it is declining.

Óttar
08-26-2010, 10:12 PM
but it's not that common here to have one or two drinks every day, like many people in the south do, which adds up to more than the occasional total central nervous system shutdown.
The CNS shuts down from 1 or 2 drinks a day or getting shitfaced once a month? :confused:

Eldritch
08-26-2010, 10:15 PM
The CNS shuts down from 1 or 2 drinks a day or getting shitfaced once a month? :confused:

The latter, of course. I meant the total amounts consumed over time.

How many drinks does it take to shut down the CNS? Twenty or twenty-five maybe? That's still less than what you would be putting into yourself if you drink the one or two a day, right?

Loki
08-26-2010, 10:19 PM
The latter, of course. I meant the total amounts consumed over time.

How many drinks does it take to shut down the CNS? Twenty or twenty-five maybe? That's still less than what you would be putting into yourself if you drink the one or two a day, right?

All depends on your tolerance. Frequent heavy drinkers = high tolerance. Genetics plays a role as well I guess. We're all different.

Eldritch
08-26-2010, 10:20 PM
All depends on your tolerance. Frequent heavy drinkers = high tolerance.

Of course. For less experienced drinkers it's probably quite a bit less than that.

Sahson
08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't want to patronise or make you feel uncomfortable, but considering your age I'd suggest giving it up completely for a while. If you like drinking, you have to moderate it -- if you don't, you'll end up in a situation where you can't ever drink again.

Considering that this year I have only drunk on these dates

Janurary 1st
January 3rd
March 28th
July 4th
July 5th
July 6th
July 31st

I'd say that I've been doing well.

Electronic God-Man
08-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I remember that the my college campus doctor told me I drink more (in one night?) than any other student he has ever asked.

Either he was just trying to tell me to stop drinking, or everyone else had been lying to him.

Psychonaut
08-27-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but thanks to PA's stupid laws that make me buy my beer by the case and the fact that my township's beer distributor stocks Beamish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamish_Stout#Beamish_stout), who knows? :D

Bloodeagle
08-27-2010, 05:02 AM
I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but thanks to PA's stupid laws that make me buy my beer by the case and the fact that my township's beer distributor stocks Beamish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamish_Stout#Beamish_stout), who knows? :D

Pa. has a law requiring you to purchase a case at a time?
This sounds like heaven. :D

Have any of you ever been to Utah?
They water their beer down in Utah. :eusa_doh:

Austin
08-27-2010, 05:20 AM
This sounds like heaven. :D

Have any of you ever been to Utah?
They water their beer down in Utah. :eusa_doh:

hahahaha crazy ass mormons

Texas is nuts about drinking, we are where that MADD shit started, crazy draconian drinking laws here yet the irony is Texas probably has the worst drinking culture anywhere

In Texas though you can't buy alcohol after midnight so at like 11:50 you go to the gas stations and there are like 30-50 20 somethings buying beer for themselves and the underage which in Texas you have to be 21 to buy beer.

Bloodeagle
08-27-2010, 05:29 AM
hahahaha crazy ass mormons

Texas is nuts about drinking, we are where that MADD shit started, crazy draconian drinking laws here yet the irony is Texas probably has the worst drinking culture anywhere
What of the dry counties in the south?
Do these dry patches between wet patches really make a difference in the way southerners imbibe themselves?

BTW, my mom and sister live in Indiana where you cannot buy alcohol on a Sunday!
This is crazy. :D

Austin
08-27-2010, 05:58 AM
What of the dry counties in the south?
Do these dry patches between wet patches really make a difference in the way southerners imbibe themselves?

BTW, my mom and sister live in Indiana where you cannot buy alcohol on a Sunday!
This is crazy. :D

lol oh hell any "dry counties" you hear about is a myth there's no dry counties in Texas haha maybe they mean the fact that in what is referred to as the valley of south Texas where all the Mexicans live there really is no law you can do anything/buy anything drug/drink wise

Bloodeagle
08-27-2010, 06:09 AM
lol oh hell any "dry counties" you hear about is a myth there's no dry counties in Texas haha maybe they mean the fact that in what is referred to as the valley of south Texas where all the Mexicans live there really is no law you can do anything/buy anything drug/drink wise
The valley of south Texas does look rather wet as in wet back! Hahaha. :D
http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/images/wetdry.gif

There does seem to be some dry counties left in Texas but their significance seems rather mute.

Psychonaut
08-27-2010, 09:17 AM

Pretty much. There are only two places you can buy beer, a state licensed beer distributor or a bar. At a bar, in addition to standard bar stuff, you can get a six-pack to go, which will run you about twice the normal price. At a beer distributor, you can get a case for a reasonably low price. What is the message being sent here? ;)

Electronic God-Man
08-27-2010, 11:50 AM
^ Buy your beer in bulk. Always buy more than you really need.

...end up drinking it all anyhow.

Óttar
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Dry counties violate people's religious freedom. Damn Puritans and the others.

Cato
08-28-2010, 12:41 AM
*Raises his hand*

I've had my daily dose of swill, ladies and gents. :)

Loddfafner
08-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Me I am straight edge for life. I even have those massive X tattoos on my hands. Alcohol is not politically correct. It is the Devil's tool. I would never, ever, touch the stuff. Whiskey is especially vile. Just the scent of Guinness or a fine Gewurztraminer makes me nauseous. Blackouts, bannings from bars, or waking up with monsters after a case of beer goggles are not my fate. I will only drink mineral water or carrot juice.

Psychonaut
08-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Me I am straight edge for life. I even have those massive X tattoos on my hands. Alcohol is not politically correct. It is the Devil's tool. I would never, ever, touch the stuff. Whiskey is especially vile. Just the scent of Guinness or a fine Gewurztraminer makes me nauseous. Blackouts, bannings from bars, or waking up with monsters after a case of beer goggles are not my fate. I will only drink mineral water or carrot juice.

http://a.imageshack.us/img3/1714/charliemurphy3244845.gif