PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my surname?

sql
09-16-2015, 02:18 AM
I'm thinking of changing my surname. As a Jew, my surname means nothing to me as it is just from my ancestor's host culture. Because of my surname people think I am Hispanic/Latino and I receive mail in Spanish.

I think that if I do change it, I will make my surname something Persian or Turkish in origin. What do you think?

Seth MacFarlane
09-16-2015, 02:19 AM
Lol what is your surname ?

Tana
09-16-2015, 02:30 AM
I think you should go for it :D

Gooding
09-16-2015, 02:38 AM
Do what's right for you, man.

Neon Knight
09-16-2015, 02:40 AM
If you do change it then use one of your other ancestral surnames so as to keep a link with your heritage.

Gooding
09-16-2015, 02:41 AM
If you do change it then use one of your other ancestral surnames so as to keep a link with your heritage.

Break it down to looks. What ancestral surname do you suppose would fit your phenotype? Do you look more Turkish or Persian?

Guapo
09-16-2015, 02:42 AM
I'm thinking of changing my surname. As a Jew, my surname means nothing to me as it is just from my ancestor's host culture. Because of my surname people think I am Hispanic/Latino and I receive mail in Spanish.

I think that if I do change it, I will make my surname something Persian or Turkish in origin. What do you think?

Use your dad's name.. Something-son. Make it sound nordic

Dylan
09-16-2015, 02:45 AM

Are you Turkish or Persian? I thought you were Ashkenazi, French-Canadian, and Swedish?

Shah-Jehan
09-16-2015, 02:49 AM
How would a Persian or Turkish surname connect you to your heritage?

Tana
09-16-2015, 03:10 AM
Out of curiosity, why would you want a Persian or Turkish last name? Is there any special reason for that?

Southerner
09-17-2015, 06:31 AM
Ehhhh, I wouldn't change it. Surnames are apart of you. A surname is more than just a name. Its a symbol of kinship, honor, and status. I think they should be only changed under specific circumstances. Changing your surname because you get mail in Spanish is dishonorable.

Grab the Gauge
09-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Ehhhh, I wouldn't change it. Surnames are apart of you. A surname is more than just a name. Its a symbol of kinship, honor, and status. I think they should be only changed under specific circumstances. Changing your surname because you get mail in Spanish is dishonorable.

I disagree. A surname is a label slapped upon you without your consent by one's parents. Why should your parents get to name you, when there are much more prestigious entities available? Everyone should be assigned to a corporation the moment they are born, and given a corporate registration number, just like you currently get a Social Security number. So for instance a child might be named "03088921 McDonald's" or "36933093 Wal-Mart". When the child has reached age 18 and has earned a certain amount of money for his parental corporation, he can choose his own name.

Bezprym
09-17-2015, 07:32 AM

In some occassions it is quite reasonable. For instance, you live in the U.S. Imagine the situation that someone comes there - he happens to not leave, maybe a guy married some American girl and decided to stay (many possibilities). The guy goes somewhere and he need to give his Polish surname: Czesław Małaszewicz. How a listener would react or write this surname on peace of paper?

In some occasions I think changing surname is fine, at least if you change it to something similar, with easier way to pronounce etc. But changing a surname just because you don't like it is pointless.

Ok, maybe not in a situation when you surname simply means "dog's penis". Then changing a surname is quite good option :p