PDA

View Full Version : History Teacher denies Native American genocide, Native student disagrees gets expelled

StonyArabia
09-17-2015, 05:01 PM
A Native American student at Cal State Sacramento University was told by her history teacher that there was no genocide against the indigenous population of North America. When the student, Chiitaanibah Johnson, took issue with this claim and challenged him, she was ejected from the class and expelled.
The professor said he didn’t care for the term “genocide” as he didn’t think it accurately describes what happened in relation to Native American history.
U.S. History Professor Maury Wiseman accused Johnson of “hijacking” his class when she challenged him on this. He also pointed out that he was very offended at her accusations that he was a “bigot” and “racist.”
The professor cancelled class for the rest of the day and apologized for the 19-year-old sophomore’s “disruptions.”
By the end of the week, he had expelled her from the class, according to Vincent Schilling, writing for Indian Country Today Media Network.
“The whole thing started on Wednesday,” Johnson said in an interview with ICTMN. “He was talking about Native America and he said the word genocide. He paused and said ‘I don’t like to use that word because I think it is too strong for what happened’ and ‘Genocide implies that it was on purpose and most native people were wiped out by European diseases.”
At first, even though she was outraged at the professor’s comments, she decided against responding… So she wrote what he said down.
“I wrote it down. I was enraged for what I felt were obvious reasons. I didn’t say anything [on Wednesday] because I knew that if I didn’t have anything specific to back it up in terms of tangible or solid evidence that he would not take my comments into consideration.”
But on Friday, after the teacher’s discussion on the Iroquois Confederacy and the Portuguese expeditions, she confronted him – she had no other choice.
“He made it a point to say indigenous people were not peaceful. I was upset for obvious reasons,” she said. “He’d mentioned how the French and the Dutch were allies and made it a point to say native people were killing each other before white settlers arrived.”
Schilling notes that “Johnson says that she understands that there were native conflicts before settlers arrived, but when the professor talked about the bravery of Portuguese expeditions without emphasis on the slave trade she again grew upset.”

Johnson adds that “on Friday, I raised my hand and I said, ‘I understand why we’re talking about the Portuguese people because it explains how they got to America. but I do not think it is fair to talk about Portuguese people as if they were only poor and brave. They became rich by raping and enslaving the indigenous lands and people that they ‘discovered’.”

Johnson asked why the professor never spoke of any Iroquoian technological advances or their spirituality. Then she broke into the issue of “genocide” and his disdain for the term in the context of Native Americans.

read more :http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/09/history-teacher-denies-native-american-student/#

StonyArabia
09-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Always a struggle to be a Native American

Gooding
09-17-2015, 05:15 PM
You really have to admire them. That episode did not warrant an expulsion. One wonders about the mindset of that faculty.

Southerner
09-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Welcome to the complex relationship between Indians and whites. Even today there is discrimination. I admire Indians and I'm quote proud of my Indian blood, although I was exactly raised on a rez nor would I be considered an Indian in my opinion. My family pushed west and moved into Indian territory multiple times, slaughtering Indians along the way. Horrid part of American history, but it was still apart of our history. I will say the Indians weren't exactly friendly in the beginning either, especially in the Caribbean and Central America.

Gooding
09-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the complex relationship betweens Indians and whites. Even today there is discrimination. I admire Indians and im quote proud of my Indian blood, although I was exactly raised on a rez nor would I be counted as a Indian in my opinion. My family pushed west and moved into Indian territory multiple times, slaughtering them along the way. Horrid part of American history.

You're absolutely right. Instead of being clever, maybe our government should have been honorable and kept those treaties it made. You should be proud of your Indian blood. :thumb001:

Anthony PV
09-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Maury Wiseman, heh? The guy's like Guenter Lewy: the kind of prima donna who thinks the Holocaust is the only genocide that ever happened in the history of mankind...

StonyArabia
09-17-2015, 05:46 PM
You really have to admire them. That episode did not warrant an expulsion. One wonders about the mindset of that faculty.

Yes the girl stood up and never backed down on her thoughts, and this why she is admirable. I mean she has right to voice her opinion from her life, experiences and difficulties that she had probably due to her racial background of being Native American. I love it when people stand up in the face of oppression like this girl who did. You always should stand up for yourself and your people.

Southerner
09-18-2015, 07:31 AM
Yes the girl stood up and never backed down on her thoughts, and this why she is admirable. I mean she has right to voice her opinion from her life, experiences and difficulties that she had probably due to her racial background of being Native American. I love it when people stand up in the face of oppression like this girl who did. You always should stand up for yourself and your people.

Yeah, that teacher is an asshat, and sadly his opinion on the Indians might not be that rare. I've heard several stories regarding how whites treat Indians. My grandma, who is a Cajun, was in Oklahoma, I think ,and she noticed how the whites got to go before the Indians in some places, stores mostly. She said she got pissed at the cashier and ordered that the Indians go before her because they were there first. If you know anything about Cajun history, then you know that this isn't the first time a Cajun has stood up for Indians.

Antimage
09-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Always a struggle to be a Native American

So why do many white and mixed people pretend to be native if it's such a struggle?

StonyArabia
09-18-2015, 07:50 AM
So why do many white and mixed people pretend to be native if it's such a struggle?

One because they have faulty image of what it is to be of Native American, a very romantic image, the other is because it was easier for mixed people to pass over the color line in the U.S. This only true in some areas of the U.S, in others like Alaska and North Dakota, Montana, ect there is struggle, and tension that still exist, and racism is quite an issue there. In Canada there is no romantic image of the Native Canadians or First Nations as we call them they are oppressed, marginalized, and no one would claim to be Indian. They do struggle quite bit. However this girl is from the California Native Americans who don't have much of romantic image, largely forgotten and suffered quite a lot under Spanish rule, and then later under Anglo-American rule, and things began to look dire to them especially with the gold rush. Native Americans/First Nations suffer discrimination in housing, employment, get poor education, with many families having issues with alcohol and drug abuse. Many reserves look like third world areas, and many of them live in abject poverty. So yes it's struggle, in the real world things are different than what it seems. Also here in Western Canada tensions between the general population and First nations are also very real.

Southerner
09-18-2015, 08:37 AM
One because they have faulty image of what it is to be of Native American, a very romantic image, the other is because it was easier for mixed people to pass over the color line in the U.S. This only true in some areas of the U.S, in others like Alaska and North Dakota, Montana, ect there is struggle, and tension that still exist, and racism is quite an issue there. In Canada there is no romantic image of the Native Canadians or First Nations as we call them they are oppressed, marginalized, and no one would claim to be Indian. They do struggle quite bit. However this girl is from the California Native Americans who don't have much of romantic image, largely forgotten and suffered quite a lot under Spanish rule, and then later under Anglo-American rule, and things began to look dire to them especially with the gold rush. Native Americans/First Nations suffer discrimination in housing, employment, get poor education, with many families having issues with alcohol and drug abuse. Many reserves look like third world areas, and many of them live in abject poverty. So yes it's struggle, in the real world things are different than what it seems. Also here in Western Canada tensions between the general population and First nations are also very real.

You hit the nail right on the head. Many whites claim to be Indian because of the romanticized view of Indians aka "The Noble Savage". Even my own family claims to be part Indian and I'm not sure if it's true or not. Only a DNA test will tell. I have confirmed a small portion of Indian blood through my family tree, mostly Powhatan, Cherokee, Creek, and Delaware. From what I know about my mother's side they are Cherokee. Descended from a American general and his Cherokee frontier wife. But who knows if that is true or not. I think the evidence says its true, honestly. But, I'm not an Indian. I will never know the discrimination that Indians face. Most Southerners have some degree of Indian blood imo. Poverty depends on the tribe. The Cherokee are very rich, while other tribes are in extreme poverty.

These issues between whites and Indians are because of colonization. I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability. Southern culture has been heavily influenced by Indians, but every colonial culture on Earth has been influenced by those who were there before them. Southerners fought the Indians like hell and a lot did marry Indians and had children. Ironic, I know, but not uncommon. Andrew Jackson was a horrid individual, imo. He was a huge imperialist but he was also the epitome of American attitudes towards Indians at that time. Americans, even before the Revolution, longed for western lands. It was like a drug. We pushed ourselves into the west and burrowed ourselves in the soil, thus making it ours. We fought for it. Our blood is on this land. Just like the Great Trek in South Africa, the push west was our Great Trek. The push west was full of genocide (from both sides). The Indians attacked white women and children and the whites attacked Indian women and children. It was a constant struggle. My family has a particularly long history of fighting Indians, well, 75% of it does. The Cajuns had a long history of helping the Indians. My family fought in the Indian wars up until they ended. They moved into Indian territory multiple times and beat the living shit out of the Indians. But my family has Indian blood, and thus we must explain why a group with Indian blood, no matter how minuscule, came to fight the Indians. Many white Americans have Indian blood, but that doesn't change what they are. They are still G-d fearing white Americans. They still are ethnically, linguistically, culturally, religiously white. My Indian ancestors massacred white settlements and my white ancestors massacred Indian settlements. Ah yes, now you're confused. How could this be? Well, it's called colonialism. It's a caste system of races and your enemy is determined by which caste you're born into. I may have Melungeon blood, but that Melungeon blood was curb stomped by English, Irish, PA Dutch, Scotch, Jewish, Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, etc etc etc. It was forcibly assimilated at gun point. Thus I am a white, kinda. Melungeon features still show up in my family but other blood overshadows it. This is colonialism. My family came over as slaves in 1526, but my main lines came over from Germany, France, Britain, Netherlands, and Sweden in the 1600's. They mixed with the Melungeons, but did not adopt being Melungeon, rather the Melungeon became them. And thus you have created a group known as the Americans.

Antimage
09-18-2015, 09:23 AM

If it was indeed bad to be native american, european looking people in canada wouldn't be saying they're natives.

StonyArabia
09-18-2015, 11:57 AM
If it was indeed bad to be native american, european looking people in canada wouldn't be saying they're natives.

They don't at all do that especially in Canada let alone western Canada!

Gooding
09-18-2015, 03:29 PM
You hit the nail right on the head. Many whites claim to be Indian because of the romanticized view of Indians aka "The Noble Savage". Even my own family claims to be part Indian and I'm not sure if it's true or not. Only a DNA test will tell. I have confirmed a small portion of Indian blood through my family tree, mostly Powhatan, Cherokee, Creek, and Delaware. From what I know about my mother's side they are Cherokee. Descended from a American general and his Cherokee frontier wife. But who knows if that is true or not. I think the evidence says its true, honestly. But, I'm not an Indian. I will never know the discrimination that Indians face. Most Southerners have some degree of Indian blood imo. Poverty depends on the tribe. The Cherokee are very rich, while other tribes are in extreme poverty.

These issues between whites and Indians are because of colonization. I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability. Southern culture has been heavily influenced by Indians, but every colonial culture on Earth has been influenced by those who were there before them. Southerners fought the Indians like hell and a lot did marry Indians and had children. Ironic, I know, but not uncommon. Andrew Jackson was a horrid individual, imo. He was a huge imperialist but he was also the epitome of American attitudes towards Indians at that time. Americans, even before the Revolution, longed for western lands. It was like a drug. We pushed ourselves into the west and burrowed ourselves in the soil, thus making it ours. We fought for it. Our blood is on this land. Just like the Great Trek in South Africa, the push west was our Great Trek. The push west was full of genocide (from both sides). The Indians attacked white women and children and the whites attacked Indian women and children. It was a constant struggle. My family has a particularly long history of fighting Indians, well, 75% of it does. The Cajuns had a long history of helping the Indians. My family fought in the Indian wars up until they ended. They moved into Indian territory multiple times and beat the living shit out of the Indians. But my family has Indian blood, and thus we must explain why a group with Indian blood, no matter how minuscule, came to fight the Indians. Many white Americans have Indian blood, but that doesn't change what they are. They are still G-d fearing white Americans. They still are ethnically, linguistically, culturally, religiously white. My Indian ancestors massacred white settlements and my white ancestors massacred Indian settlements. Ah yes, now you're confused. How could this be? Well, it's called colonialism. It's a caste system of races and your enemy is determined by which caste you're born into. I may have Melungeon blood, but that Melungeon blood was curb stomped by English, Irish, PA Dutch, Scotch, Jewish, Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, etc etc etc. It was forcibly assimilated at gun point. Thus I am a white, kinda. Melungeon features still show up in my family but other blood overshadows it. This is colonialism. My family came over as slaves in 1526, but my main lines came over from Germany, France, Britain, Netherlands, and Sweden in the 1600's. They mixed with the Melungeons, but did not adopt being Melungeon, rather the Melungeon became them. And thus you have created a group known as the Americans.

The best way to prove or disprove family myth is to get an autosomal test done. There are a lot of people who claim Native American blood who may not have a signature in their DNA, or if they do, it's so inconsequential it isn't worth bothering about. People probably claim NA blood to get a sense of rootedness on this continent, a feeling of " belonging here." Fine. They can take the test and prove it beyond any reasonable doubt. A fellow student with me in college was one quarter Wyandot and it showed. She actually looked a quarter Native American, while looking essentially Northwest European also. She was an exception and a rare one at that. Of course, people love being " persecuted," so whites might claim a Cherokee/ Navajo/ Sioux umpteenth grandparent so they can complain about what the whites did to " them." It's tricky, though, because once a family myth gets entrenched, it's awfully difficult to weed out.

Berahthraban
09-18-2015, 03:36 PM
The native Americans and Aboriginals in Australia are one of the peoples that have suffered the most in history, being such a tiny minority in their ancestral homeland..

Guanimaa
09-18-2015, 03:53 PM
There is no real racial stigma for being native American. Hence why it has never been illegal in the U.S for Native and whites to marry. I know this upsets some people, because it pushes back their romantic view of Native Americans. But having said that, I feel Native Americans are the most marginalized group in the country. They are hardly represented on TV shows, movies (outside of western films,cowboys and indians). Some people use the excuse that they are only 2% of the population, but there are probably 10's of millions of Americans who are atleast partial Native American. Imo, New Zealand represent their Natives the best even though they are a small minority.

Southerner
09-18-2015, 08:45 PM
There is no real racial stigma for being native American. Hence why it has never been illegal in the U.S for Native and whites to marry. I know this upsets some people, because it pushes back their romantic view of Native Americans. But having said that, I feel Native Americans are the most marginalized group in the country. They are hardly represented on TV shows, movies (outside of western films,cowboys and indians). Some people use the excuse that they are only 2% of the population, but there are probably 10's of millions of Americans who are atleast partial Native American. Imo, New Zealand represent their Natives the best even though they are a small minority.
Meh, I don't care if they're not represented in TV, movies, etc. It's up to the companies to decide who to cast and who to not cast.

Southerner
09-18-2015, 08:46 PM
The best way to prove or disprove family myth is to get an autosomal test done. There are a lot of people who claim Native American blood who may not have a signature in their DNA, or if they do, it's so inconsequential it isn't worth bothering about. People probably claim NA blood to get a sense of rootedness on this continent, a feeling of " belonging here." Fine. They can take the test and prove it beyond any reasonable doubt. A fellow student with me in college was one quarter Wyandot and it showed. She actually looked a quarter Native American, while looking essentially Northwest European also. She was an exception and a rare one at that. Of course, people love being " persecuted," so whites might claim a Cherokee/ Navajo/ Sioux umpteenth grandparent so they can complain about what the whites did to " them." It's tricky, though, because once a family myth gets entrenched, it's awfully difficult to weed out.

That's why I'm getting a DNA test. Really excited :D

Wadaad
09-18-2015, 09:21 PM

Only once a group is subjugated can the stigma erode. While Indians were still scalping and wreaking threats on the settlers no one dared to highlight native admixture. Now that they're just walking ghosts, it's a cottage industry to patronize them by saying you have 1/32 Cherokee or whatever. Basically, it is an insult to Natives because their whole worth is reduced to that 1/32 assimilation (which never shows on their faces and its not like they're any less white, or part of a competing civilization)

StonyArabia
09-20-2015, 02:39 AM
Only once a group is subjugated can the stigma erode. While Indians were still scalping and wreaking threats on the settlers no one dared to highlight native admixture. Now that they're just walking ghosts, it's a cottage industry to patronize them by saying you have 1/32 Cherokee or whatever. Basically, it is an insult to Natives because their whole worth is reduced to that 1/32 assimilation (which never shows on their faces and its not like they're any less white, or part of a competing civilization)

That's indeed but this is only an American phenomena, in Canada rarely it happens. This because there is significant First Nations people especially in Western Canada. However in some parts of the U.S, the attitude toward the Native Americans is very similar. However in the the southern and especially southeast region there was different application to those who were considered civilized and thus formed the five civilized tribes such as the Cherokee, Creek, Choctwa, Chicksaw, and Seminoles. Well those in pacific coast, southwest and Alaska had total different history and there is tensions to this day. The California Indians had it quite bad under Spanish rule and American rule.

Carlito's Way
09-20-2015, 03:07 AM

it also happens a lot in Latin America, even in countries where they make the vast majority, on their country's media and even models, majority are euro-mestizos, heck even afro-latinos are more represented in Latino medias even in countries they make a tiny percentage

i never understood why that was though, you have a better chance finding afro-latinos in latin american media than native americans, even though afro-latinos make a smaller percentage in Latin America compared to native americans

i wish things could change for them, many of their women are very pretty, i guess they cant model because of their short height but they can become new reporters, actresses, i dont know just anything that girls of the same background can look up to

StonyArabia
09-20-2015, 03:09 AM
it also happens a lot in Latin America, even in countries where they make the vast majority, on their country's media and even models, majority are euro-mestizos, heck even afro-latinos are more represented in Latino medias even in countries they make a tiny percentage

i never understood why that was though, you have a better chance finding afro-latinos in latin american media than native americans, even though afro-latinos make a smaller percentage in Latin America compared to native americans

i wish things could change for them, many of their women are very pretty, i guess they cant model because of their short height but they can become new reporters, actresses, i dont know just anything that girls of the same background can look up to

North American Amerindians are tall. The average Native American woman is like 5'9, the exception are the Inuit

Mortimer
09-20-2015, 03:12 AM

its only call to be little native and to be still white, like 1/32 or like that to look white, to be real native with native features is not cool

i agree with naba

Carlito's Way
09-20-2015, 03:23 AM
North American Amerindians are tall. The average Native American woman is like 5'9, the exception are the Inuit

because they are mix, the pure ones are not that tall especially not the women, though i know there were certain tribes who had/have tall people but lets be real, the northern american amerindians are mixed and many of them are balanced mestizos genetically, but yeah, in Mexico the tallest tribe are the Seri people who the women stand about 5'7-5'9 ft tall and the men around 6'0 ft tall, they are one of the tallest and these people are i would say pure if not close to pure

anyways most of the native american models look mixed with european, its like using mulattas to represent black beauty, i just find it disrespectful, its like telling little girls that in order to become a model or be pretty you need to be mix

here, the suppose hottest "native american" women
http://chantalrondeau.com/post/20859546528/top-30-hottest-native-women

they all look mix

i would like for them to start using women who look completely native american in appearance even if they are mixed genetically

shes from Veracruz, Mexico, although genetically she is mixed, phenowise she looks Amerindian and 100%
shes beautiful, im in love with her
http://i.imgur.com/0dkl2ki.png
http://i.imgur.com/52ioSmL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3wJv1np.jpg

StonyArabia
09-20-2015, 05:44 AM
because they are mix, the pure ones are not that tall especially not the women, though i know there were certain tribes who had/have tall people but lets be real, the northern american amerindians are mixed and many of them are balanced mestizos genetically, but yeah, in Mexico the tallest tribe are the Seri people who the women stand about 5'7-5'9 ft tall and the men around 6'0 ft tall, they are one of the tallest and these people are i would say pure if not close to pure

anyways most of the native american models look mixed with european, its like using mulattas to represent black beauty, i just find it disrespectful, its like telling little girls that in order to become a model or be pretty you need to be mix

here, the suppose hottest "native american" women
http://chantalrondeau.com/post/20859546528/top-30-hottest-native-women

they all look mix

i would like for them to start using women who look completely native american in appearance even if they are mixed genetically

shes from Veracruz, Mexico, although genetically she is mixed, phenowise she looks Amerindian and 100%
shes beautiful, im in love with her
http://i.imgur.com/0dkl2ki.png
http://i.imgur.com/52ioSmL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3wJv1np.jpg

No I am speaking of pure Amerindians, like the plain Indians they are tall people and are not mixed with Euros, Central American and South American Amerindian are often short yes. The exception like I said being the Inuit who are not really an Amerindian population despite being Native American. The Seri are tall people indeed.

Guanimaa
09-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Meh, I don't care if they're not represented in TV, movies, etc. It's up to the companies to decide who to cast and who to not cast.

I'm just saying there needs to be more recognition of Native Americans, and not only white leaning ones like Johnny Depp. It seems its okay for sports teams to use Native Americans as mascots and as racial slurs, but not okay to portray them as positive members of society.

Guanimaa
09-20-2015, 12:43 PM
its only call to be little native and to be still white, like 1/32 or like that to look white, to be real native with native features is not cool

i agree with naba

You're right. I’ve never looked at it that way. I’ve always looked at it from the view that, every American says they’re Native American to have a positive racial element . When in reality, it’s just another form of exploitation. Some may not see it that way.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/10/15/5-fake-indians-checking-box-doesnt-make-you-native-157179

Southerner
09-20-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm just saying there needs to be more recognition of Native Americans, and not only white leaning ones like Johnny Depp. It seems its okay for sports teams to use Native Americans as mascots and as racial slurs, but not okay to portray them as positive members of society.

Sounds like an opinion. Let people do what they want and leave them alone. If I want to make a sports team called the "Tuscaloosa Chimps" and use Aunt Jemima as my logo then I should be able to.

solaris
09-20-2015, 10:24 PM
classify her
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/die3qg/picture35151198/ALTERNATES/FREE_640/1%2020150912_AOC_ChineseVeterans_189a

StonyArabia
09-23-2015, 06:25 AM
classify her
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/die3qg/picture35151198/ALTERNATES/FREE_640/1%2020150912_AOC_ChineseVeterans_189a

Looks Pacifid

Nurzat
09-23-2015, 06:28 AM
History Teacher denies Native American genocide, Native student disagrees gets expelled

a good thing the bitch got expelled. she was nothing but an agitator, a commie instigator

rhiannon
09-23-2015, 06:29 AM

Agree.
Kind of goes against the idea of higher education being a bastion for the exchange of ideas....even controversial ones. Oh, and not to mention directly contradictory to our first amendment.

The expulsion was over the top.

Nurzat
09-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Agree.
Kind of goes against the idea of higher education being a bastion for the exchange of ideas....even controversial ones. Oh, and not to mention directly contradictory to our first amendment.

The expulsion was over the top.

it wasn't, if the Navajo girl called the teacher a bigot and a racist in front of class.

anyway, she's cute

http://d1jrw5jterzxwu.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/article_media/image1.jpg

rhiannon
09-23-2015, 06:34 AM

Anchorage's school district is considered the most diverse school district in the whole country. Believe it or not, racism is less of an issue up here than in the lower 48. Looking around me, most of the people I see up here are Alaska Native or some other Asian derivative. There are also a fair number of black people...and of course there are still lots of whites. We seem to have everything.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
09-23-2015, 06:52 AM
it wasn't, if the Navajo girl called the teacher a bigot and a racist in front of class.

anyway, she's cute

http://d1jrw5jterzxwu.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/article_media/image1.jpg
she was lying to her about her ancestors history. I think you missed the point.

Gooding
09-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Yeah, that teacher is an asshat, and sadly his opinion on the Indians might not be that rare. I've heard several stories regarding how whites treat Indians. My grandma, who is a Cajun, was in Oklahoma, I think ,and she noticed how the whites got to go before the Indians in some places, stores mostly. She said she got pissed at the cashier and ordered that the Indians go before her because they were there first. If you know anything about Cajun history, then you know that this isn't the first time a Cajun has stood up for Indians.

No, it wasn't, actually. The Cajuns know who their friends are. :ranger:

King Niko
09-23-2015, 03:34 PM
white people smh...

StonyArabia
09-25-2015, 04:08 AM
Anchorage's school district is considered the most diverse school district in the whole country. Believe it or not, racism is less of an issue up here than in the lower 48. Looking around me, most of the people I see up here are Alaska Native or some other Asian derivative. There are also a fair number of black people...and of course there are still lots of whites. We seem to have everything.

I don't know much about Alaska but this what I have heard that the Native American population there is highly marginalized similar to Montana However it's well known fact that First Nations here in Canada continue to face many obstacles more so than non-White immigrants, and are often seen with disdain and there is high tensions between them and the general public. Being First Nation is very tough, and not an easy or a romantic one.