PDA

View Full Version : Why are women in general more religious than men?

Eldritch
08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Discuss.

Grumpy Cat
08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Lol wut?

Not where I am from.

Never heard that before. Any studies on this?

Beorn
08-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Because women are supposed to be on their knees begging.

Eldritch
08-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Never heard that before. Any studies on this?

Uhh ... I always assumed it to be more or less common knowledge, actually. I'll see if I can find any links on it.

Eldritch
08-29-2010, 07:34 PM
There:

Why Are Women More Religious?

Historians, social scientists, religious leaders, and others have long pondered the question of why women seem to be more drawn to religion than men are (see Related Items). The issue has major practical implications for churches and other faith communities. Women may be the backbone of a congregation, but the presence of a significant number of men is often a clear indicator of spiritual health in congregations. As the Rev. John Belmont, rector of St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Pennington, N.J., comments: "Both [men and women] are needed to bring vitality and completion of community life to a church."

A mountain of Gallup survey data attests to the idea that women are more religious than men, hold their beliefs more firmly, practice their faith more consistently, and work more vigorously for the congregation. In fact, gender-based differences in responses to religious questions are far more pronounced than those between any other demographic categories, such as age, education level, or geographic region. The tendency toward higher religiosity among women has manifested over seven decades of scientific polling, and church membership figures indicate that it probably existed for many decades prior to the advent of survey research in the mid-1930s.

Source. (http://www.gallup.com/poll/7432/why-women-more-religious.aspx)

Grumpy Cat
08-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Uhh ... I always assumed to be more or less common knowledge, actually. I'll see if I can find any links on it.

My mother is not religious at all and actually is quite anti religious because she believes religion is anti woman.

My father was very religious though.

I was only brought up catholic because my mother did not want me to be a social outcast, but she raised me to question what was said in church.

Grumpy Cat
08-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Btw my mother is feminist and atheist but very right wing politically and yes, also racist. That would make some people here's brain implode.

Óttar
08-29-2010, 07:46 PM
"Men create gods. Women worship them."

Sir James George Frazer

Women spread movements and keep traditions alive. Women were instrumental in the spread of Christianity. If you want your movement to succeed you have to appeal to women. Go to any traditional society today and its the women who are wearing traditional clothing. The men overwhelmingly wear western clothes.

Liffrea
08-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Men build it, women make it work, men knock it down again.

Men are natures innovators, risk takers and the one’s likely to press big red buttons with signs in big letters saying DO NOT PRESS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! I would I couldn't resist....

Women are societies social glue, whether they are more spiritual than men…….but it is reasonable to assume they are more social and, hence, more likely to maintain social structures (such as religions) that work.

Murphy
08-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Hello, my name is Jon Paul. I am posting my introduction again because you all seem to have forgotten me otherwise this thread would not exist :D!

Seriously though, women tend to be more religious because of the woman's role in society. She is a temple, she is an ark. Like the Blessed Virgin was the Ark of the New Testament that carried the Child Jesus, so women in general are an ark unto men whom carry and nurture our traditions and our cultures.

They are our mothers who give us suckle when we are young and weak, they are our wives in whom we pledge our honour.

You cannot conquer a people without conquering it's women. Which is why we see such a concentrated effort on modern society's part against the traditional woman.

RoyBatty
08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Discuss.

Religion is an anchor, it gives people a sense of purpose and security.

Perhaps women are more needy than men? *And Roy ducks flying plates :D

Murphy
08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
*And Roy ducks flying plates :D

Women don't have the arms to throw a plate at the necessary force to hurt you :P!

RoyBatty
08-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Women don't have the arms to throw a plate at the necessary force to hurt you :P!

Ordinarily I would agree with you sir, they don't have the upper body strength but even so.... they may just catch one unawares with a lucky shot and those still hurt!

Murphy
08-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Ordinarily I would agree with you sir, they don't have the upper body strength but even so.... they may just catch one unawares with a lucky shot and those still hurt!

Any man who would have himself caught unaware is no man, therefore women cannot claim victory :D!

Gamera
08-29-2010, 09:26 PM
I think it's because they are usually more spiritual than men, if that makes sense. Probably because they are more sensitive?

RoyBatty
08-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Some of you may have come across the "Brides Of Christ" phenomenon. This often manifests itself in women who've experienced romantic disappointment and who then resolve to avoid relationships with men apart from Jesus.

I suppose this would be because Jesus is unlikely to turn up "in the flesh" and hence they're able to have a relationship with an ideal man yet can also avoid those annoying real-life complications of having to deal with a real man.

RoyBatty
08-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Any man who would have himself caught unaware is no man, therefore women cannot claim victory :D!

My son, as you very well know man is not perfect and was delivered into sin and imperfection by the devious and cunning women. Sometimes even real men get caught out.

Of course it isn't our own fault but that's the life women led us to..... :D :thumb001:

*Roy ducks the steak knife

Murphy
08-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I suppose this would be because Jesus is unlikely to turn up "in the flesh"

Err.. Christ in the flesh is a central tenant of the Catholic faith :P.

RoyBatty
08-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Err.. Christ in the flesh is a central tenant of the Catholic faith :P.

Right but for all intents and practical purposes, he doesn't usually (to my knowledge) show up in person for tea and scones with our moms, sisters, wives, gf's and female cousins now does he?

Datz wut I ment innit :)