PDA

View Full Version : Should this papist..

Murphy
08-29-2010, 09:37 PM
..go to the seminary?

Eldritch
08-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Are you now at the age such a decision is typically made?

Psychonaut
08-29-2010, 09:41 PM
If you think it's your calling, go for it. My aunt was a Sister of Mercy for years and loved it for a time.

inb4 gay pedo jokes ruin the thread

Murphy
08-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Are you now at the age such a decision is typically made?

Applicants for the priesthood are generally looked for in men between the ages of 18 and 30. Some seminaries prefer 21-30 though.

If you think it's your calling, go for it.

I think it may be, though it's all premature.

My aunt was a Sister of Mercy for years and loved it for a time.

What happened :(?

inb4 gay pedo jokes ruin the thread

Yes, they should be showing up soon.

Loki
08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Only if you can get a decent salary and good working conditions. That's what any job is all about, eventually.

Eldritch
08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Applicants for the priesthood are generally looked for in men between the ages of 18 and 30. Some seminaries prefer 21-30 though.

So in other words, it might be a good idea to keep your options open and not decide yet?

Murphy
08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
So in other words, it might be a good idea to keep your options open and not decide yet?

Yes, that would be the plan anyway. You can't just walk into a seminary, there is a long process. There is a yearly-period of prayer of discernment for example, and you would be invited to a retreat to spend some time at the seminary, seeing what it is like et cetera.

I wouldn't be able to go anywhere until I get my High School equivalent grades at college either.

This thread is just to gauge what people's opinions would be on Father Murphy :D!

Psychonaut
08-29-2010, 09:59 PM
What happened :(?

Her and another nun left together, if you catch my drift. I believe she still works for a charity/social work outfit run by the church though. :shrug:

Murphy
08-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Her and another nun left together, if you catch my drift. I believe she still works for a charity/social work outfit run by the church though. :shrug:

Sadly this isn't the first time I have heard of such.. lifestyles amongst the Sisters of the various Orders.

Loddfafner
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
What will you do, after you have committed everything to your career, you realize either that God does not exist, or that you discover that Lutheranism, Ukrainian Orthodoxy, or Quakerism is the one true form of Christianity?

Murphy
08-29-2010, 10:10 PM
What will you do, after you have committed everything to your career, you realize either that God does not exist, or that you discover that Lutheranism, Ukrainian Orthodoxy, or Quakerism is the one true form of Christianity?

None of these are a possibility because God exists and the Roman Catholic Church is His Church.

There is no force on earth that could convince me otherwise.

Loddfafner
08-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Is there any chance that you might someday be recognized as a saint? If so, what sort of miracles do expect to perform? What activities would you be the patron of, besides trolling?

Psychonaut
08-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Is there any chance that you might someday be recognized as a saint? If so, what sort of miracles do expect to perform? What activities would you be the patron of, besides trolling?

Lo! My children, I hath seen a mighty vision of what the future holds. Lo! Doth the patron saint of trolling present himself before mine visage:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5670&stc=1&d=1283124751

Grumpy Cat
08-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Only if you can get a decent salary and good working conditions. That's what any job is all about, eventually.

Oh Catholic priest make good money around here and live in good houses provided by the church.

I think Jon Paul would make a good priest, he is smart and funny. The priest from my old church is the reason I don't hate Catholicism like many ex Catholics do, he was very funny and we are still on good speaking terms. When I was active in the Asatru scene I actually emulated his style quite a bit.

One of the main reasons I left the church was actually because of the church in Canada's history with this country's aboriginal people. As folks here know I am sympathetic to Amerindian ethnic preservation as well as European, since I grew up around Natives.

The Lawspeaker
08-30-2010, 03:42 AM
Do your country, people and bloodline a favour: get a nice Irish bird and get a couple of children.
Priests are useless folk when it comes to preservation.

Murphy
08-30-2010, 11:04 AM

I would like to be the patron saint for Internet Knights.. not trolls as you put it ;).

Murphy
08-30-2010, 11:06 AM

I would strongly disagree with this. Preservation goes beyond mere procreation. Whilst it is a vital part no doubt, my people, a Catholic people, need their faith if they are to be preserved. Which better way to do so than as a priest?

Grumpy Cat
08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
I think priests should be able to marry, but that's an entirely different thread.

Äike
08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
I think priests should be able to marry, but that's an entirely different thread.

They can marry, if they're Lutheran. But The Papist is a member of the Catholic church.

Murphy
08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Catholic priests can marry as well.. if they belong to an Eastern Catholic branch. If tomorrow, the Latin Church changed its tradition of a celibate clergy, that has been around for centuries.. if I decide to go into the priesthood, I will still choose celibacy because of my views on what the priesthood should be.

Germanicus
08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Do your country, people and bloodline a favour: get a nice Irish bird and get a couple of children.

Anyway, joining the Priesthood is for men that cannot hold down a day job like normal people, for me it would have been the last resort...like yours:coffee:

Groenewolf
08-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Catholic priests can marry as well.. if they belong to an Eastern Catholic branch. If tomorrow, the Latin Church changed its tradition of a celibate clergy, that has been around for centuries.. if I decide to go into the priesthood, I will still choose celibacy because of my views on what the priesthood should be.

Would that exclude you from donating sperm? Also how high is the change that you become the pope if you decide to become a priest.

Murphy
08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Would that exclude you from donating sperm?

Yes.. :coffee:..

Also how high is the change that you become the pope if decide to become a priest.

What?

Groenewolf
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
What?

No ambition to rise to the top then ;) .

Murphy
08-30-2010, 03:53 PM
No ambition to rise to the top then ;) .

Oh no!

I would not be worthy of Peter's Chair, and I wouldn't want the responsibility either.

Sahson
08-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Church of England can. Dominius Vobiscum do whatever you feel is necessary to accomplish in life, Many people do it in different ways, or forms. Some would study a martial art, or do art, others would learn another trade.

If you think becoming a papist is necessary then by all means do so. By the way I attended a catholic school, I know quite abit of how your faith ticks, so don't rant about the CoE crap...

use to pray to

Saint jude
Saint hubert of Liege

Wyn
08-30-2010, 04:33 PM
..go to the seminary?

Only you can decide whether or not you think you're called to it. I've thought about whether or not I would, if I were single. Personally, I still wouldn't. The responsibilities and pressures are beyond what I'm capable of. Perhaps you're right for it. God alone knows. Pray for guidance.

Crossbow
08-30-2010, 05:13 PM

In past times (not that long ago), a priest's duty was to encourage his parishioners to procreate, but this was common practice among them anyway, because it was seen as a religious duty ('Go forth and multiply').
Therefore you cannot blame the priest class solely, modern people are not prepared to breed anymore.

Murphy
08-30-2010, 05:26 PM
If you think becoming a papist is necessary then by all means do so.

I am already a papist ;).

use to pray to

Saint jude
Saint hubert of Liege

My Guardian Angel, St Dominic, St Elias, St James the Greater, St Michael Archangel, Saint Andrew, St Louis and most of all.. Saint Mary, Immaculate Virgin and Queen of Heaven.

Sally
08-30-2010, 05:45 PM
..go to the seminary?

Spend a lot of time in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament and you'll get your answer. ;)

poiuytrewq0987
08-30-2010, 05:49 PM
If you get paid well for being a priest then go for it. :cool: Though be sure to introduce me to any hot nuns you may meet on the way to priesthood. :D

Murphy
08-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Spend a lot of time in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament and you'll get your answer. ;)

The Most Holy Rosary has gotten me here.. I guess Daily Mass is getting me the rest of the way :D!

Sally
08-30-2010, 05:56 PM
The Most Holy Rosary has gotten me here.. I guess Daily Mass is getting me the rest of the way :D!

Say the Rosary everyday and don't forget the Angelus! :)

Grumpy Cat
08-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Church of England can. Dominius Vobiscum do whatever you feel is necessary to accomplish in life, Many people do it in different ways, or forms. Some would study a martial art, or do art, others would learn another trade.

If you think becoming a papist is necessary then by all means do so. By the way I attended a catholic school, I know quite abit of how your faith ticks, so don't rant about the CoE crap...

use to pray to

Saint jude
Saint hubert of Liege

Lol I can rant about the CoE as a Canadian. Them along with the Catholics did their dirty deeds in this country.

Murphy
08-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Say the Rosary everyday and don't forget the Angelus! :)

I have daily Rosary in the bag (I'm a member of both the Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary and the Confraternity of the Brown Scapular) but the Angelus might be too much. I'm already planning on starting the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary :P!

Grey
09-01-2010, 01:30 AM
Sounds like a difficult choice. I thing you'd make a great priest, but don't forget that this isn't the only path for the devout. I actually wanted to be a priest as a child, and to this day I wish that were a possibility. Like C.S. Lewis, I've pretty been pretty angry with God for not existing these past few years ;), but belief isn't something one can choose to have. Good luck with your decision, and don't make it lightly.