PDA

View Full Version : Der Untergang

Debaser11
09-02-2010, 05:13 AM
I was just curious if anyone has seen this film. If you have, what are your thoughts on the film?

Personally, I liked it. It was a bit of a ballsy film to make considering it was a German film that dared to portray Hitler in a semi-sympathetic light. I thought Bruno Ganz did a decent enough job, though I thought his voice did not match Hitler's enough. Hitler had a much more commanding (formidable) voice, in my opinion. He was also a bit short but Hitler was said to have been hunched over all the time during that period, anyways. I thought Eva was portrayed to be a bit of a psycho, though I'm not sure if that's inaccurate. I liked the guy who played Speer and I thought the man who did Goebbels was surprisingly good too. Maybe I'm just sick, but I could even sympathize with the Goebbels family a bit (though I don't think I could do what they did). And I also liked the young woman who played Traudl Junge. (Incidentally, I also thought the young lady playing her looked particularly beautiful in this film.)

I don't want to go too much into the movie's details in this first post in case some of you haven't seen it and still intend to.

giSdX58um9E

The Ripper
09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
It is one of the greatest, darkest, movies I have ever seen. The MTV generation might not get it, and say "Avatar was visually more mind-blowing". The true value of Der Untergang is that these things happened, not so long ago, and that this is basically how it went down. Once you manage to digest that, I mean really understand it, the movie becomes absolutely horrific and beautiful at the same time.

Peasant
09-02-2010, 01:52 PM
It's a great film.

Electronic God-Man
09-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I know I enjoyed it.

Debaser11
09-02-2010, 02:23 PM
It is one of the greatest, darkest, movies I have ever seen. The MTV generation might not get it, and say "Avatar was visually more mind-blowing". The true value of Der Untergang is that these things happened, not so long ago, and that this is basically how it went down. Once you manage to digest that, I mean really understand it, the movie becomes absolutely horrific and beautiful at the same time.

Avatar is also damn-near pure anti-Western propaganda. I REALLY loathe how people think that it is some sort of deep film. It was riddled with white guilt and noble savage archetypes, which are pure nonsense. Those ideas, when believed, are a sickness and they infect the West terribly so it's no shocker people like that sort of garbage. The effects were nice, but big deal, right? Compared to a movie with such historical significance that is executed like Untergang, Avatar might as well be a child's toy commercial.

One part of Der Untergang that I found eerily prophetic was when Hitler was telling SS-Brigadefuhrer Wilhelm Mohnke that the Western democracies were too decadent to stand after the war. I think people today who have their eyes open are finding such insights to be more perceptive than they'd like to admit.

BiałaZemsta
09-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I like it. The Downfall was a strong movie that was almost creepy after really considering the events. It displayed a part of history that has never been accurately portrayed.

Gamera
09-04-2010, 08:38 PM
It's a great film. I've seen it over 3 times. No one had really bothered to make a film like this before, and the best thing was that the actors actually spoke in German this time; unlike documentaries or films like "Hitler: The Rise of Evil" (I think it was called like that) where the actors are English...

Thor
09-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Theyve made a billion parody videos of the film where hitler rants about something completely silly some are funny others are not

Debaser11
09-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Some are funny. The ones that suck tend to ignore the fact that Hitler uses people's names. I think I like his review of Inglorious Bastards (even though that movie itself pretty much sucked). Him talking about Michael Ballack getting hurt was also good.

I'm trying to learn German. As I get better with the language, I imagine the parodies will seem less funny.

Thor
09-05-2010, 01:52 AM
Yes ofcourse if youve seen the movie and now what theyr saying kinda makes it less funnier

Pallantides
09-05-2010, 01:55 AM
So when is someone going to make a video were Hitler get told his Y-DNA haplogroup is E1b1b ?

Thor
09-05-2010, 01:57 AM
I think theyve made one i think its called hitler is informed hes jewish and african.

Debaser11
09-05-2010, 02:08 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot. The liberal media informed me that Hitler was a black Jew. I'll have to stop trusting my eyes so much.

Thor
09-05-2010, 02:20 AM
And its all mosltlikely made up by rabbi Goldstein