PDA

View Full Version : Eye disorders

Megrez
09-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Do you have any eye disorder? Need to wear glasses/lenses (and since when)?

I have none, my sight is almost as good as that of a hawk :)

Oh, and this thread is an inquiry for eugenic purposes :D

Grumpy Cat
09-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I need glasses to watch TV, that's about it. I can see fine in any other situation.

Peasant
09-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Short Sighted.

Please don't sterilise me.

Germanicus
09-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I am longsighted, i wear glasses for my inability to clearly see near objects, when at work i wear them permanently.
When reading i put on reading glasses, it seems my left eye is worse than my right, so i have lenses correctly suited for both eyes.
The lenses for my everyday glasses are reactalight, i have an extra pair of glasses the same frame with dark sunglass lenses just for driving, as i am sensitive to sunlight, the reactalight pair of glasses do not go dark when used in a car
Overall i have 5 pairs of glasses.

Murphy
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't know what I am, longsighted or shortsighted, but I need glasses and everything is very blurry in my right eye.

Treffie
09-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Shortsighted with astigmatism in both eyes. My left eye tends to go wonky when I'm tired! :p

Pallantides
09-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I have slight myopia, but I dont wear glasses as it makes me look like a secretary.

Jack B
09-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I know a guy with heterochromia, he has one kinda hazel eye and another very light blue eye, it's pretty striking and I thought he might be blind in one eye when I first met him but his sight seems fine. I guess it's not so much a disorder as an irregularity though.

Grumpy Cat
09-03-2010, 12:43 AM
I know a guy with heterochromia, he has one kinda hazel eye and another very light blue eye, it's pretty striking and I thought he might be blind in one eye when I first met him but his sight seems fine. I guess it's not so much a disorder as an irregularity though.

I have heterochromia (one hazel and one green). But that's not an eye disorder I can see fine from both eyes.

Mine is not genetic but caused by an injury though.

Vasconcelos
09-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I have myopia for about 10 years or so, right eye is in slightly worse condition than the left one. I wear glasses and it annoys me because it's not hard to notice distortion on the edges of the lens, it tires my vision a bit and sometimes I take the glasses out just to rest a bit.

I am considering getting a pair of contact lens, but it seems wierd to me having to touch my eyeballs to get them off. Urgh, don't know if I want to do that.

Peasant
09-03-2010, 01:35 AM
I am considering getting a pair of contact lens, but it seems wierd to me having to touch my eyeballs to get them off. Urgh, don't know if I want to do that.

You get used to it after so long :)

Pallantides
09-03-2010, 01:35 AM
How about laser surgery.

Vasconcelos
09-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Can't, myopia isn't stable yet. My gf did it and she's really glad. I am too, she looks so much better without glasses :)

Falkata
09-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Shortsighted with astigmatism in both eyes. :p

Same here until 2 years ago. Now I´m like an eagle :D thanks to

http://www.topnews.in/health/files/LASIK.jpg

Vasconcelos
09-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Ouch my eye

Megrez
09-03-2010, 02:06 AM
I have myopia for about 10 years or so, right eye is in slightly worse condition than the left one.
That's what I find most weird, people just leaving childhood and already with eye disorders. I remember when I was in school at my 12/13, the schoolmates began to show up wearing glasses and I thought "wtf?", because for me eye conditions were grown and old people's issues, not the young's. Years passed and more people went to the glasses and yet my vision remains perfect. I couldn't avoid joining other schoolmates to mock the ones already into glasses calling them "quatrolho" ("four-eyed"), and also couldn't avoid thinking I was result of a superior breeding for that :p. My father in his late 40's has only a slight difficulty to distinguish shapes in the night, but he still does very well with that and he never used any glasses, and my mother, well, she's slightly younger than my father and uses no glasses and no lenses and never made an eye surgery, so I guess her sight's ok :eek:. None of my cousins are into glasses also.

Pallantides
09-03-2010, 02:18 AM
I think some 60 % of all Japanese have myopia

Austin
09-03-2010, 02:50 AM
I eat carrots so I have eagle eyes.

Bloodeagle
09-03-2010, 03:00 AM
I am shortsighted with astigmatism in both eyes. My right eye is twice as bad as my left eye. So I am left eye dominant yet right handed. :confused:

poiuytrewq0987
09-03-2010, 03:17 AM
I have myopia too. I've never went to an eye doctor since I never cared to but I know I have it. I don't really need glasses though they could be really helpful to try and read street names from a distance while driving. I've managed so far though. :) One thing I found interesting, whenever I squint my eyes then my vision becomes very clear for less than 1-2 seconds. I wonder why squinting my eyes cause that.

Óttar
09-03-2010, 03:39 AM
I am nearsighted (since 5th grade) and I have a slight strabysmus. I hate wearing glasses, I want LASIK. I cannot put my finger in my eye to save my life. If I get this done, I'm gonna have to take a heavy tranquilizer,

The Ripper
09-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Do you have any eye disorder? Need to wear glasses/lenses (and since when)?
My sight very suddenly worsened in school some years ago. I use glasses when driving in places I don't know and in situations where I need to see a long distance.

I have none, my sight is almost as good as that of a hawk :)
Stop gloating! I want my perfect sight back. :mad:

Sahson
09-03-2010, 07:16 AM
I have severe Keratoconus, I have had it since 13. It rapidly affected me from 13 to 15 years of age. In doing so I have had several corneal hydrops throughout the 8 year period

Corneal hydrops in the spoiler. If you have a weak stomach it is best you do not look.
http://www.rootatlas.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/rootatlas-hydrops2.jpg
http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/atlas/photos/hydropsHydrophthalmos11.jpg
http://bjo.bmj.com/content/suppl/2005/02/09/89.2.DC1/watsonfig1.jpg

Because of the condition my cornea will always be astigmatic. My specalist always choses me for his masters students to write a report up. He says a few more students checking up on my eye sight, and professors at the University of NSW will know who I am. :D

The Ripper
09-03-2010, 07:17 AM
OH man those pictures made MY eyes water.

Sahson
09-03-2010, 07:32 AM
OH man those pictures made MY eyes water.

I warned you.

Falkata
09-03-2010, 07:44 AM
I am nearsighted (since 5th grade) and I have a slight strabysmus. I hate wearing glasses, I want LASIK. I cannot put my finger in my eye to save my life. If I get this done, I'm gonna have to take a heavy tranquilizer,

Go for it, it´s very fast and of course it´s not painful at all. Just try to think about nice things (the beach, pretty girls...) while they´re working on your eye :D

Óttar
09-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Go for it, it´s very fast and of course it´s not painful at all. Just try to think about nice things (the beach, pretty girls...) while they´re working on your eye :D
How much does it cost generally? And will you have to get it redone in 10 years?

Germanicus
09-03-2010, 09:56 PM
My mother suffers from Glycoma, this means every 9 months i have to go to hospital and have tests because Glycoma is hereditary.
(i go for these tests without fail, whereas my older brother does not,more fool him)

Falkata
09-05-2010, 05:45 AM
How much does it cost generally? And will you have to get it redone in 10 years?

Around 3000€ in most of west Europe i guess, I dont know in the US
Redone in 10 years? Not really. It doesn´t mean that your sight will be perfect forever until you are 90 years old anyway, miracles dont exist.