PDA

View Full Version : Scotland is officially the sick man of Britain

Treffie
09-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Scotland has been branded the sick man of Britain after an official comparison of the four home nations found higher levels of smoking, drinking, obesity and disease north of the Border

A study prepared for SNP ministers found a larger proportion of Scots have heart disease or diabetes than in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Alcohol consumption among men and women in Scotland was higher than south of the Border, while a larger percentage of both genders smoke.

Fruit and vegetable consumption was “significantly lower” among Scots, with only a fifth of men and a quarter of women eating their recommended five portions per day.

More than two-thirds of Scottish men are deemed overweight and more than six out of ten women, in both cases far higher than comparable figures in the rest of the UK.

A combination of these factors means life expectancy is lower north of the Border, despite average levels of physical activity in England and Scotland being about the same.

Shona Robison, Scottish Public Health Minister, said: “Scotland historically has an appalling health record. For generations, far too many people have died before their time with our culture of poor diet, heavy drinking and smoking all taking their toll.

“As today's statistics show, other parts of the UK are still doing better and this clearly demonstrates that we can, and must, do more to help Scots live healthy lives.”

Jamie Stone, Scottish Liberal Democrat public health spokesman, said: “The Scottish government has to tackle the root causes of obesity. Scotland doesn’t have to be the sick man of the UK.”

The comparison used figures from health surveys conducted in Scotland, England and Wales in 2008 and in Northern Ireland in 2005/06.

Scotland was found to have the lowest life expectancy of the four home nations, 75 years for men and 79.9 for women. This compares to 77.7 and 81.9 years respectively in England.

Although all four countries have tumbled down international health league tables since 1930, Scotland has fallen faster than the other three.

Scotland now has the highest death rates from heart disease and lung cancer and the second death rates for stroke in Western Europe.

The study found 23 per cent of Scottish men and 28 per cent of women have a debilitating long-term condition. This is slightly higher than in England but the same or lower than in Wales and Northern Ireland.

Only a quarter of Scottish men were found to have drunk within recommended guidelines in the previous week compared to 30 per cent in England.

The pattern was repeated among Scottish women, with only 21 per cent staying within the recommended drinking guideline of three units per day. On their heaviest drinking day they consumed 3.5 units compared to 2.2 in England.

Smoking levels are also higher in Scotland, with 27 per cent of men and 25 per cent of women lighting up. This compares with 24 per cent and 20 per cent respectively in England.

About 45 per cent of men and 33 per cent of women on both sides of the Border were found to be doing enough exercise, but Scots’ diet was found to be far worse.

The proportion amount of women who are overweight was significantly higher in Scotland (61.8 per cent) than in England (56.9 per cent) or Northern Ireland (54 per cent).

Source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/7973889/Scotland-is-officially-the-sick-man-of-Britain.html)

Fortis in Arduis
09-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Scottish people were brought up on Spam ham. It is just of those funny things that people should not try to change.

Murphy
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't remember being given a health survey.

Treffie
09-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't remember being given a health survey.

You were in the pub at the time

Murphy
09-03-2010, 01:31 PM
You were in the pub at the time

Nah, I was barred from the pub when they found me comatose in a stall with a belt around my arm and a half-eaten cheese burger in my other hand.

Beorn
09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Nah, I was barred from the pub when they found me comatose in a stall with a belt around my arm and a half-eaten cheese burger in my other hand.

Silly Scot. The bright man from the drug den said go and ingest some food, not inject.

Graham
09-11-2010, 08:41 PM
That's why were so shite at football, nae cunts healthy. kebab calzone, deep fried haggis super, deep fried curly wurlys etc...

Wasn't Edinburgh known as the 'AIDS capital of Europe' in the 80's aswell lol. We probably top skin cancer too.

Albion
09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Poor Scots, I suppose England isn't much better though :(

Germanicus
09-11-2010, 09:06 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1310220/7-million-live-jobless-households-works.html

THE WORKLESS HOUSEHOLDS
Region Number %
UK 3.9 million 19.2
North East 218,000 24.3
North West 483,000 21.0
Yorkshire and Humber 363,000 20.5
East Midlands 282,000 19.2
West Midlands 347,000 19.7
East of England 292,000 15.7
London 495,000 19.1
South East 385,000 14.2
South West 286,000 17.1
Wales 226,000 22.9
Scotland 411,000 22.6

It's interesting reading....:(

Graham
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Unemployment across the UK went down the last few months whereas in Scotland it's going up. £3.7bn of cuts over the next four years in Scotland.

My county (west lothian) faces £60 million cuts and rising. Thank fuck I have a job, because there's nowt out there.

STUC study shows 132% rise in long-term Scottish unemployment

Brian Donnelly
Share (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php) http://www.heraldscotland.com/ui/img/blank.gif0 comments (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/stuc-study-shows-132-rise-in-long-term-scottish-unemployment-1.1055170#have-your-say)
15 Sep 2010

Long-term unemployment has risen dramatically in all areas of Scotland during the economic downturn.

A study by the Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC) found the number of people on Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than a year has increased all over the country since January 2008, when the figure was at its pre-recession lowest, and represented a “shocking” 132% rise in the total claimants in Scotland, now at 21,170.

The STUC, which compared the earlier figures to June 2010, said the numbers claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance rose more than 400% in three local authority areas.

The steepest rises were found in the Borders (475%), from 60 to 345, East Lothian (420%), from 50 to 260, South Lanarkshire (416%), from 285 to 1470, North Lanarkshire (324%), from 440 to 1865, West Lothian (286%), from 215 to 830, and East Renfrewshire (260%), from 50 to 180.

Edinburgh rose by 185%, from 600 to 1710, Glasgow (111%), from 2505 to 5275, and Aberdeen (90%), from 155 to 295.

Even the best-performing areas such as Orkney (33%), Moray (35%) and Inverclyde (36%) registered increases.

Grahame Smith, general secretary of the STUC, said: “These figures are shocking.

“The massive rise in long-term unemployment we reveal today provides a sharp and timely rejoinder to those still arguing that the labour market has performed well over the recession. An abundance of evidence confirms that long-term unemployment is an individual and family tragedy and a huge economic and social cost to society.

“With unemployment, long-term unemployment and long-term youth unemployment all continuing to rise in Scotland, it is essential that government at all levels redoubles its efforts to keep people in work and provide effective support to the workless.

“And yet the Coalition Government is embarking on a cuts strategy that will undoubtedly increase unemployment.”

Mr Smith added: “The number of prominent commentators questioning the need for immediate and deep cuts is growing on a daily basis.”
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/stuc-study-shows-132-rise-in-long-term-scottish-unemployment-1.1055170

This threads too negative, a 'hink ah'll throw masel aff a bridge or something :p

poiuytrewq0987
09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, the Scottish economy is insignificant in comparison to England's economy so I'm not really surprised that Scotland isn't doing all too well without infusions from London.

The Lawspeaker
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, the Scottish economy is insignificant in comparison to England's economy so I'm not really surprised that Scotland isn't doing all too well without infusions from London.
While the odd thing is that the Scots have the oil. ;)
It's a bit like Groningen here that has the natural gas and all the bloody money goes to Holland and Groningen is left a economic disaster zone. They were promised a quick rail line linking them to Utrecht and not they get nowt too. I bet they feel the same way as the Scots do.. I am actually sure of it.

So let Scotland have the oil and it become a new Norway and Groningen should get the gas money and should become a top priority (along with Friesland and Drenthe) for the government.

Beorn
09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
While the odd thing is that the Scots have the oil.

It is indeed odd considering the oil should by right belong to the Shetlanders and a greater bulk than is given now for the English.

As you can see, the fields have been magically altered to appease some silly notion of Scottish independence that goes hand in hand with oil revenue.

Graham
09-15-2010, 03:11 PM
The Scottish Adjacent Waters Boundaries Order 1999. It moved a share of the gas and oil fields into English territory and wasn't good for scottish fishery limits . :) Tony Bliar's a bawsack
http://www.realmofscotland.com/admin/Administrator/images/users_images/scotland02.jpghttp://www.oilofscotland.org/Scotland_marine-border.jpg

http://resources.schoolscience.co.uk/SPE/knowl/images/fields.gif

Alot of the oil fields are near Aberdeen,

Wee Shetland would be too damn rich, if they got all that money . If I lived on Shetland I would be saying "show me the money!, show me the money!" :thumb001::D

Beorn
09-15-2010, 05:26 PM
The Scottish Adjacent Waters Boundaries Order 1999. It moved a share of the gas and oil fields back into English territory and wasn't good for scottish fishery limits.

Edited. You missed out a vital word, Fionn :swl

:) Tony Bliar's a bawsack

Indeed he is.

Graham
09-17-2010, 05:29 PM
17 September 2010 Last updated at 14:02
Native Scots face higher risk of alcohol-related death
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11345759

The study claimed big differences in the drinking habits of different ethnic groups
Native Scots are more than twice as likely to die of alcohol-related causes than Scottish residents born south of the border, according to a new study.

Research by two universities and NHS statisticians also indicated large differences between the drinking habits of different ethnic groups in Scotland.

The findings emerged in a study into the causes of death of ethnic groups living in Scotland from 2000 to 2005.

The research was published in the journal Alcohol and Alcoholism.

Researchers from Edinburgh and Oxford universities and the NHS Information Services Division analysed causes of death that were directly related to alcohol, including liver disease, accidents and suicide.

It found people from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland living in Scotland were more than twice as likely to die from drink-related causes as the Welsh or English.

Men born in England and Wales were 64% less likely die as a result of alcohol than native Scottish males.

There was no clear difference in alcohol-related deaths between men and women born in Scotland compared to those from Ireland. And there was also little difference between native Scots and people born in India.

'Useful reminder' The study also showed 72% fewer alcohol-related deaths among Pakistani-born males in Scotland than Scottish-born males.

Prof Raj Bhopal from the University of Edinburgh said: "If we can better understand which ethnic groups have greater susceptibility then we can target alcohol prevention strategies where they are most needed.

"In addition, this study is a useful reminder that alcohol-related deaths are preventable, and that action is required to address this in Scotland."

Alcohol-related deaths have more than doubled in the UK between 1991 and 2006, especially in Scotland.

Mortality from liver cirrhosis, the major cause of alcohol-related death, has also risen more steeply in Scotland than elsewhere in the UK.

There are nearly 1,500 deaths each year in Scotland directly attributed to alcohol.

:alcoholj::icon_drunk::guinness:

Wyn
09-17-2010, 05:37 PM
The study also showed 72% fewer alcohol-related deaths among Pakistani-born males in Scotland than Scottish-born males.

I'm racking my brains trying to figure out why that could be? :rolleyes:

Beorn
09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
It found people from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland living in Scotland were more than twice as likely to die from drink-related causes as the Welsh or English.
Men born in England and Wales were 64% less likely die as a result of alcohol than native Scottish males.

Conclusive evidence which clearly shows the Irish and Scottish are lousy drinkers.

Wyn
09-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Conclusive evidence which clearly shows the Irish and Scottish are lousy drinkers.

Can't argue with science mate. It's there in black and white.

Korbis
09-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Why would that be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgkZDbe4Xk&feature=related