PDA

View Full Version : Can people who are not ethnically Chinese, Korean or Japanese nonetheless be accepted as such?

Tooting Carmen
08-27-2016, 06:47 PM
Just as people of foreign descent born and raised in Britain, France and Germany are often (though by no means always) referred to as British, French and German, so can people of foreign descent born and raised in Japan, Korea or China be thought of as Japanese, Korean or Chinese? I ask because those countries have relatively little immigration and seem to be quite nativist in their attitudes.

Selurong
08-28-2016, 06:18 AM
Just as people of foreign descent born and raised in Britain, France and Germany are often (though by no means always) referred to as British, French and German, so can people of foreign descent born and raised in Japan, Korea or China be thought of as Japanese, Korean or Chinese? I ask because those countries have relatively little immigration and seem to be quite nativist in their attitudes.

The Chinese and Japanese still heavily discriminate against the foreigners in their midst, however, from what I read, the South Koreans are more accepting.

Tooting Carmen
08-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Anyone else?

Odin
01-21-2018, 05:12 AM
Nope.

Mingle
01-21-2018, 05:15 AM
Chinese is a nationality not an ethnicity. China is also a huge country with 100+ ethnic groups and has been multicultural since it's inception. So yes, they probably would be accepted as Chinese. In Japan and Korea, maybe or maybe not.

Latinus
01-21-2018, 05:22 AM
You're only Japanese, Korean or Chinese if you're racially East Asian.

You can admire their culture, live among them, talk like them, etc., but it's irrelevant if you don't have the same genetic/racial makeup as them.

Mortimer
01-21-2018, 05:28 AM

they can be referred to as such and be nationals, but in britain and germany they are often referred to as "afro germans" or "carribean british" or "asian british" they will never be or considered white, so a foreigner wont be considered likely asian or han, but he can be national and have citizenship and be referred to as such.

Tooting Carmen
11-19-2018, 12:43 PM
bump

Catarinense1998
11-19-2018, 01:15 PM
You're only Japanese, Korean or Chinese if you're racially East Asian.

You can admire their culture, live among them, talk like them, etc., but it's irrelevant if you don't have the same genetic/racial makeup as them.

I agree totally with you.

Incal
11-19-2018, 02:49 PM
Japs don't even accept 100% japanese decent people born abroad. So go figure.