PDA

View Full Version : 7 Magnitude Quake Hits New Zealand

Brynhild
09-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Probably the worst I've known of to hit the region, apart from the one in Newcastle back in '89

A powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck much of New Zealand's South Island early on Saturday and caused widespread damage, but there were just two reports of serious injuries.

Looters broke into some damaged shops in Christchurch, police said.

The quake, which hit 30km west of the southern city of Christchurch, according to the state geological agency GNS Science, shook a wide area, with some residents saying buildings had collapsed and power was severed. No tsunami alert was issued.

Christchurch police reported road damage in parts of the city of 400,000 people, with a series of sharp aftershocks rocking the area. Police officers cordoned off some streets where rubble was strewn about. Video showed parked cars crushed by heaps of fallen bricks, and buckled roads.

"There is considerable damage in the central city and we've also had reports of looting, just shop windows broken and easy picking of displays," Police Inspector Mike Coleman told New Zealand's National Radio.

Police Inspector Alf Stewart told the radio that some people had been arrested for looting.

"We have some reports of people smashing (storefront) windows and trying to grab some property that is not theirs ... we've got police on the streets and we're dealing with that," he said.

Christchurch Hospital said it had treated two men with serious injuries and a number of people with minor injuries.

One was hit by a falling chimney and was in a serious condition in intensive care, while a second was badly cut by glass, hospital spokeswoman Michele Hider said.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said the "sharp, vicious earthquake has caused significant damage in parts of the city ... with walls collapsed that have fallen into the streets".

Chimneys and walls had fallen from older buildings, with roads blocked, traffic lights out and power, gas and water supplies disrupted, he said.

"The fronts of at least five buildings in the central city have collapsed and rubble is strewn across many roads," Christchurch resident Angela Morgan told The Associated Press.

"Roads have subsided where water mains have broken and a lot of people evacuated in panic from seaside areas for fear of a tsunami," she said, adding that "there is quite significant damage, really, with reports that some people were trapped in damaged houses".

Suburban dweller Mark O'Connell said his house was full of smashed glass, food tossed from shelves, with sets of drawers, TVs and computers tipped over.

"She was a beauty, we were thrown from wall to wall as we tried to escape down the stairs to get to safety," he told the AP. "It was pitch black (with the power cut) and we walked through smashed glass everywhere on the floor."

The quake hit at 4:35am (0235 AEST), shaking thousands of residents awake, New Zealand's National Radio reported.

Resident Colleen Simpson said panicked residents ran into the street in their pyjamas. Some buildings had collapsed, there was no power, and the mobile telephone network had failed.

"Oh my God. There is a row of shops completely demolished right in front of me," Simpson told the Stuff news website.

Another person from Christchurch, Kevin O'Hanlon, said the jolt was extremely powerful.

"I was awake to go to work and then just heard this massive noise and 'boom', it was like the house got hit. It just started shaking. I've never felt anything like it," he told the news website.

Christchurch International Airport was closed after the quake as a precaution, as experts prepared to check the runways and terminal buildings, a spokesman said.

The earthquake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.4 and was centred 10km below the Earth's surface, GNS Science said in a revised report, after initially stating it had hit 33km down. It noted that the shallowness of the quake meant greater damage across a wider area.

The US Geological Survey in America measured the quake at 7.0.

Radio reports said items were tossed from store shelves and roof tiles were cracked.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said "no destructive widespread tsunami threat existed, based on historical earthquake and tsunami data".
New Zealand sits above an area of the Earth's crust where two tectonic plates collide. The country records more than 14,000 earthquakes a year, but only about 150 are felt by residents. Fewer than 10 a year do any damage.

Source (http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/7881279/7-0-quake-hits-new-zealand/)

And if anybody is concerned about Rainraven, Dunedin's quite a considerable distance away, so she should be okay.

Skandi
09-06-2010, 07:12 AM
The friend who lent me her car.. and bought me this laptop lives 6 miles from the epicentre.. she rang us 30 mins after the main shock went off, no major damage luckily just a few cracks, but what a way to wake up.

Rainraven
10-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I did get to feel an aftershock when I was up in Christchurch for the Metallica concert! :D

From friends I've heard that they are still having occasional aftershocks. We had a guest lecturer the other day who is a clinical psychologist, he was saying that they want him to go up to Christchurch to be available for families needing help. Must be traumatic for young children to be waking up from earthquakes for over a month :(