PDA

View Full Version : My afghan cousins ancestrydna test from 2013

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:14 AM
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/drcypriot084/Screenshot_2016-09-20-22-00-59-1-1_zpsyrmelhkn.png (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/drcypriot084/media/Screenshot_2016-09-20-22-00-59-1-1_zpsyrmelhkn.png.html)

Granted, the results probably look super different now because this test is old and all, but I'm so sick and tired of people saying that I lie when I say I have russian ancestry when I don't, my cousin scored almost 10% of it on ancestry alone, and also had 7% British. The 56% South Asian score is weird, but I asked someone who's close with the company about that and they said that in 2013, ancestry didn't have a stable central asian component set up yet and that because since majority of pashtuns live in what is technically "Pakistan" (despite being afghan land originally), it was lumped into South asian. The other family member who took an ancestry dna was my grandma who took it in 14 or 15, and she was majority "central asian," (which peaks in Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikstan, etc), according to ancestry. My grandmother also scored around 20% European from what I remember, with most bring russian, a little english, and a slight percent of European Jewish. Additionally I remember her getting over 30% caucasus and South Asian under 10% as well. I knew my cousin has a facebook and posted it there,so I found it.

sql
09-21-2016, 02:19 AM
You don't have Russian ancestry though, it's just reflecting a component.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:21 AM
You don't have Russian ancestry though, it's just reflecting a component.

Ancestry only detects from 500 years ago. I highly doubt it's yamnaya. My mom's tribe has rumored russian ancestry too.

Mortimer
09-21-2016, 02:23 AM
I have 1/16 russian ancestry, but I dont know where its exactly on the genetic test it could be conflated with balkan-slavic ancestry too, i mean overlaying/overlapping etc.

Edit: But I know from family history that my grandmothers grandfather was russian.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:24 AM
I have 1/16 russian ancestry, but I dont know where its exactly on the genetic test it could be conflated with balkan-slavic ancestry too, i mean overlaying/overlapping etc.

At first I thought that this was from PIE DNA, but apparently ancestry wouldn't catch that because it was way too long ago, and they especially wouldn't have traced that in 2013.

sql
09-21-2016, 02:25 AM
Ancestry only detects from 500 years ago. I highly doubt it's yamnaya. My mom's tribe has rumored russian ancestry too.

There is no "time signature" on DNA. If it only strictly detected 500 years ago until today, then WHY do many South and Central Asians also show up with Native American? A lot of it is just reflection of components due to lack of good reference populations.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:27 AM
There is no "time signature" on DNA. If it only strictly detected 500 years ago until today, then WHY do many South and Central Asians also show up with Native American? A lot of it is just reflection of components due to lack of good reference populations.

I've only seen people get that on gedmatch, and whenever it's on ancestry its usually grouped with "east asian and native American." Probably minor east asian.

sql
09-21-2016, 02:27 AM
I've only seen people get that on gedmatch, and whenever it's on ancestry its usually grouped with "east asian and native American." Probably minor east asian.

You're confusing AncestryDNA with 23andme.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:29 AM
You're confusing AncestryDNA with 23andme.

Yeah I haven't seen anyone get native on ancestry. I've also never seen a dna test pick up British and that much russian in other south Central asians

Annie999
09-21-2016, 02:37 AM
Ancestry DNA is not good. I scored 7% scandinavian and trust me I have none.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:41 AM
Ancestry DNA is not good. I scored 7% scandinavian and trust me I have none.

I think they can all suck or be good, depending on what your ethnic background is.

Azad Beg
09-21-2016, 02:47 AM
Those are odd results, he should be scoring higher South Asian.

Post your grandmother's results as well. Does she look white?

Annie999
09-21-2016, 02:49 AM
I think they can all suck or be good, depending on what your ethnic background is.
what Im saying is I have no business with Scandinavia at all (not even nordic countries) and I scored 7%. Wouldn't be surprised other people also scored random stuff. The point is I wouldn't use Anestry DNA to proove anything if I was you because it's not trustable.

I got tested on 23andme too, and I got way more accurate results.

Dick
09-21-2016, 02:49 AM
Adna sucks

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:53 AM
Those are odd results, he should be scoring higher South Asian.

Post your grandmother's results as well. Does she look white?

It's a she, my cousin is a she.

And unfortunately I don't have my gmas results. I was only able to get ahold of these cause I remember she posted this on Facebook three and a half years ago (lol, thats not atalker ish at all, right?). My grandma hasn't logged onto facebook since 2012, before she took her test. The cousin who took this test looks kinda white, but not like Northern European white.

My grandma could also pass as Greek or Italian, and maybe as a tanned Swiss, but definitely not north european.

She shouldn't be scoring higher south asian, she should be scoring a lot lower. The only reason she scored so high on this was because Pashtuns were lumped in that category in a geographical sense back then, because most pashtuns live in "Pakistan."

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:55 AM
what Im saying is I have no business with Scandinavia at all (not even nordic countries) and I scored 7%. Wouldn't be surprised other people also scored random stuff. The point is I wouldn't use Anestry DNA to proove anything if I was you because it's not trustable.

I got tested on 23andme too, and I got way more accurate results.

Did your gedmatch reflect on your Scandinavian? And every afghan says that 23andme is shitty for afghans and that I should go with adna or dnaland

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 03:03 AM
Honestly, it seems accurate to me (minus the south asian and caucasus percentages), according to what my mother says our ancestry from her side comes from. Her tribe claims to have some Russian blood, and a lot of them look Eastern European. The weirdness is the 7% British, because 7% isn't noise.

Shepherd
09-21-2016, 03:08 AM
I wanna order one of these tests soon.

Whats better, 23andme or AncestryDNA?

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 03:15 AM
I wanna order one of these tests soon.

Whats better, 23andme or AncestryDNA?

I think it depends on what ethnicity you are. Since you are a great mix of ethnicities, it might be hard to say, but since you appear to be mostly slavic and caucasian, I would go with ancestry. Though you might score a lot of "Persian" even though technically you're not, because they lump all CHG like people near the caucasus together. Kinda to how my cousin got that load of "south asian," because most pashtuns technically live in "Pakistan," and because of geography reasons. I kinda see ancestrydna and 23andme as a shits and giggles thing and don't really care much for it. Im just gonna use it as a source of raw DNA. Your gedmatch would properly display your Slavic + Georgian ancestry. I would be interested in seeing yours too, I wonder who you would plot with. I assume somewhere in europe.

Shepherd
09-21-2016, 03:19 AM
I think it depends on what ethnicity you are. Since you are a great mix of ethnicities, it might be hard to say, but since you appear to be mostly slavic and caucasian, I would go with ancestry. Though you might score a lot of "Persian" even though technically you're not, because they lump all CHG like people near the caucasus together. Kinda to how my cousin got that load of "south asian," because most pashtuns technically live in "Pakistan," and because of geography reasons. I kinda see ancestrydna and 23andme as a shits and giggles thing and don't really care much for it. Im just gonna use it as a source of raw DNA. Your gedmatch would properly display your Slavic + Georgian ancestry. I would be interested in seeing yours too, I wonder who you would plot with. I assume somewhere in europe.
Im curious too where I would plot

Kamal900
09-21-2016, 03:52 AM
Honestly, it seems accurate to me (minus the south asian and caucasus percentages), according to what my mother says our ancestry from her side comes from. Her tribe claims to have some Russian blood, and a lot of them look Eastern European. The weirdness is the 7% British, because 7% isn't noise.

Makes sense considering that you look very white looking guy in comparison to the Afghans I've seen in this country.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 03:56 AM
Im curious too where I would plot

Given your background (about 37% Georgian, the rest being some eastern european with some german), I'd say you probably cluster near Hungarians genetically.

Shepherd
09-21-2016, 03:58 AM
Given your background (about 37% Georgian, the rest being some eastern european with some german), I'd say you probably cluster near Hungarians genetically.

Im definitely more Georgian than that

My mom is half Georgian and my dad is 75%

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 04:00 AM
Im definitely more Georgian than that

My mom is half Georgian and my dad is 75%

What's your full ethnic background? I could probably give you an estimate of where you cluster genetically.

Shepherd
09-21-2016, 04:03 AM
What's your full ethnic background? I could probably give you an estimate of where you cluster genetically.

Mom's father is half Georgian half Ukrainian/Polish mix
Her mother is half Georgian half north Russian (I think from around where Karelia is, not Karelia exactly though)

Dads father is 100% Georgian
His mother is half Georgian, half German/Polish mix

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 04:09 AM
Mom's father is half Georgian half Ukrainian/Polish mix
Her mother is half Georgian half north Russian (I think from around where Karelia is, not Karelia exactly though)

Dads father is 100% Georgian
His mother is half Georgian, half German/Polish mix

You probably cluster in between Romanians and Caucasians then. You're kind of in a buffer zone like Ashkenazis are. Your ethnic background sounds really cool though!

Shepherd
09-21-2016, 04:11 AM
You probably cluster in between Romanians and Caucasians then. You're kind of in a buffer zone like Ashkenazis are. Your ethnic background sounds really cool though!

thanks m8

youre sounds really interesting too!

lmk if you find out what that British ancestry is all about

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 04:13 AM
thanks m8

youre sounds really interesting too!

lmk if you find out what that British ancestry is all about

Thanks! And yeah! I totally will. Honestly I hope it's not true cause then that would mean that my ancestors slept with an invader! Lol, jk. It's whatevs at the end of the day. Very cool to learn about.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 04:21 AM
Makes sense considering that you look very white looking guy in comparison to the Afghans I've seen in this country.

I don't want to be different though, I want to be like other afghans. I was kind of hesitant about positing this at first because I knew the 7% British would raise eyebrows, which is obviously not noise and means my grandma descends from invaders/rapists (well let's hope my British ancestors weren't rapists), making me not "pure" afghan. I just wanted to clear the russian thing up.

Also i felt like it would spark more racial theories in where afghans come from and people being like "some are white and others aren't," all over again, even though we're one in the same, some of us just have British and Russian admix.

Kamal900
09-21-2016, 04:25 AM
I don't want to be different though, I want to be like other afghans. I was kind of hesitant about positing this at first because I knew the 7% British would raise eyebrows, which is obviously not noise and means my grandma descends from invaders/rapists (well let's hope my British ancestors weren't rapists), making me not "pure" afghan. I just wanted to clear the russian thing up.

Also i felt like it would spark more racial theories in where afghans come from and people being like "some are white and others aren't," all over again, even though we're one in the same, some of us just have British and Russian admix.

Most Afghans that I've seen look very Iranian and central Asian like Tajiki or Pamiri, although there are certainly some Afghans that can look North Indian, Levantine, and European as well. Nothing to be ashamed about it.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 04:28 AM
Most Afghans that I've seen look very Iranian and central Asian like Tajiki or Pamiri, although there are certainly some Afghans that can look North Indian, Levantine, and European as well. Nothing to be ashamed about it.

I'm not ashamed of how I look, it's just caused confusion in my life. I like how other ethnicities are close knit and look very similar to each other, but afghans have feud against each other and there are 100s of phenotypes, so I thought genetics would show that we're all similar. Not that it matters, but reassurance is nice. Looks like I'm still likely overwhelmingly afghan even despite possibly having the most atypical genetics in the entire country.

Petalpusher
09-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Bit useless without the actual genome datas run in autosomal, also eventually to see in which direction it goes on a pca. Brit & Finn score could only reflect some chunk of Iran_N/CHG/EHG that have a gradient of ANE, and some balancing with the S.Asian. Ancestrydna composition is mess for Europeans as well.

sql
09-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Check out my older thread: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?184510-AncestryDNA-results-of-an-Afghan-Persian!

Afghans get a lot of noise due to components and bad reference populations. Trust me, you are likely neither Russian nor British.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Bit useless without the actual genome datas run in autosomal, also eventually to see in which direction it goes on a pca. Brit & Finn score could only reflect some chunk of Iran_N/CHG/EHG that have a gradient of ANE, and some balancing with the S.Asian. Ancestrydna composition is mess for Europeans as well.

See i would assume that to, but my mom comes from a tribe that claims partial russian descent, and 9% is not noise, what I've noticed is that for most afghans, they score like between a little European on ancestry, then when they go on gedmatch, it's elevated. The thing about the 7% British is hopefully true, otherwise that would mean I have recent rape ancestry and that would suck to know for the rest of my life.

These results would be interesting to see on gedmatch with these atypical results, maybe I can kind of casually mention features tests next time I see her and get her to cough up about this and explain gedmatch to her. I'm sure she can still access this after 3 years right?

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Check out my older thread: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?184510-AncestryDNA-results-of-an-Afghan-Persian!

Afghans get a lot of noise due to components and bad reference populations. Trust me, you are likely neither Russian nor British.

I would believe that, but my mom comes from a tribe which claims russian descent, so this kinda makes sense actually. And that guy only scored 9% European. My cousin and grandma recieved doses of ancestry from there beyond noise levels. Though for the British, maybe you're (hopefully) right. These were relatively high European scores on ancestry (16%) and almost 20% for the grandma.

Danishmend
09-21-2016, 03:44 PM

Your ancestors who lived 500 years ago were descendants of your earlier ancestors, they didn't spring out of holes in the ground, they had the genes of their ancestors. The Turkish migration into Anatolia occurred between the 11th and late 13th centuries (more than 700 years ago). But the traces of this migration is still visible in autosomal DNA.
Don't take these maps/results literally, people tend to score other components when the reference population sucks. Asia Minor component of Ftdna/MyOrigins is not based on Turks for example, which is why Turks score extra European and Asian components. A Turk's Ftdna MyOrigins results

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48578&d=1403877341

Hithaeglir
09-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Maybe the Russian that you get comes from people who resemble genetically Caucasian people,like the Tatars? Just sayin

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Maybe the Russian that you get comes from people who resemble genetically Caucasian people,like the Tatars? Just sayin

I don't think it's caucasian, because there's already 28% Persian/Turkish/Caucasus in there.

It is either legit Russian blood or apparently just PIE, which make up a chunk of pashtuns ancestry. The thing that is scary is the British though. I see people getting like <1%, but 7%? That's not noise, and my grandma scored a chunk too. I just hope it's not British rape.

Insuperable
09-21-2016, 09:03 PM
You easily accept your supposed European ancestry, but you can't accept your ancestreal South Asian ancestry. OWD?

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 09:12 PM
You easily accept your supposed European ancestry, but you can't accept your ancestreal South Asian ancestry. OWD?

What the hell are you talking about?I already mentioned in the post that "south asian" included pashtuns by geography because of the fact that most Pashtuns live in what is "Pakistan." My grandma who took a test a year or two later had that converted as "Central asian." And any ASE blood I have would come from a prehistoric population and not anything that matters. I dont deny i have south asian blood. My mom's tribe has rumored partial russian ancestry, and my mom knows how to speak it, of course that matters to me.

And it's not because it's European, because if it was solely that reason, I would have been claiming the British too (which I don't want to and am freaked out by being there at a percentage which isn't noise).

Insuperable
09-21-2016, 09:14 PM
What the hell are you talking about?I already mentioned in the post that "south asian" included pashtuns by geography because of the fact that most Pashtuns live in what is "Pakistan." My grandma who took a test a year or two later had that converted as "Central asian." And any ASE blood I have would come from a prehistoric population and not anything that matters. I dont deny i have south asian blood. My mom's tribe has rumored partial russian ancestry, and my mom knows how to speak it, of course that matters to me.

And it's not because it's European, because if it was solely that reason, I would have been claiming the British too (which I don't want to and am freaked out by being there at a percentage which isn't noise).

I am not talking about South Asian on this test.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 09:17 PM
I am not talking about South Asian on this test.

Yeah? I don't deny it's there, it's just not nearly as much people exaggerate it. Anyways this is supposed to be an interesting thread because my family seems to have a bit odd results for afghans so I was just curious about some things and trying to show that there is (most likely) russian ancestry that runs in my family.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Your ancestors who lived 500 years ago were descendants of your earlier ancestors, they didn't spring out of holes in the ground, they had the genes of their ancestors. The Turkish migration into Anatolia occurred between the 11th and late 13th centuries (more than 700 years ago). But the traces of this migration is still visible in autosomal DNA.
Don't take these maps/results literally, people tend to score other components when the reference population sucks. Asia Minor component of Ftdna/MyOrigins is not based on Turks for example, which is why Turks score extra European and Asian components. A Turk's Ftdna MyOrigins results

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48578&d=1403877341

Okay thanks for clarifying. I kinda hope the British thing is just some shared ancestry and not real, because otherwise that means that my ancestors were raped (recently), and that would suck knowing.

Insuperable
09-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Yeah? I don't deny it's there, it's just not nearly as much people exaggerate it. Anyways this is supposed to be an interesting thread because my family seems to have a bit odd results for afghans so I was just curious about some things and trying to show that there is (most likely) russian ancestry that runs in my family.

Nobody is exaggerating anything, but you trying to diminish it despite everything pointing otherwise. Nevertheless, you easily accept recent Euro ancestry, but have a problem accepting ancestreal South Asian admixture. You have to even clarify in this thread what is the meaning behind your cousin's high South Asian result on this test while you are more than happy to show that you might have Russian ancestry.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 09:36 PM
Nobody is exaggerating anything, but you trying to diminish it despite everything pointing otherwise. Nevertheless, you easily accept recent Euro ancestry, but have a problem accepting ancestreal South Asian admixture. You have to even clarify in this thread what is the meaning behind your cousin's high South Asian result on this test while you are more than happy to show that you might have Russian ancestry.

I already have the meaning of her high "South asian" score and you obviously know it's not that high. It's simply because of geogrpahical reasons. Most Pashtuns live in "Pakistan" even though it used time be afghan land. Pakistan = South Asia. I clarified that because it is obviously not normal for a pashtun to score 56% South Asian. If it was 56% russian, I wouldn't have believed it either. Even my grandma's test had a score about that high with central asia.

And yes, you do exaggerate everything, and I've proved you have multiple times.

Anyways stop shitting in this thread. It's not about you and it's not for your 5 year old namecalling. Go get a life and stop shitting a serious thread or I'll report you for continuing harassment.

Insuperable
09-21-2016, 09:42 PM
I already have the meaning of her high "South asian" score and you obviously know it's not that high. It's simply because of geogrpahical reasons. Most Pashtuns live in "Pakistan" even though it used time be afghan land. Pakistan = South Asia. I clarified that because it is obviously not normal for a pashtun to score 56% South Asian. If it was 56% russian, I wouldn't have believed it either. Even my grandma's test had a score about that high with central asia.

And yes, you do exaggerate everything, and I've proved you have multiple times.

Anyways stop shitting in this thread. It's not about you and it's not for your 5 year old namecalling. Go get a life and stop shitting a serious thread or I'll report you for continuing harassment.

It is not normal for a Pashtun to score 56%, we agree on that and I am not questioning that or geographical location as an explanation behind that. I do not exaggerate anthing accept you trying to diminish your unwanted admixture. Btw congratulations:) on your Euro ancestry.

Myanthropologies
09-21-2016, 09:49 PM
It is not normal for a Pashtun to score 56%, we agree on that and I am not questioning that or geographical location as an explanation behind that. I do not exaggerate anthing accept you trying to diminish your unwanted admixture. Btw congratulations:) on your Euro ancestry.

Lol diminishing "unwanted admixture," is what the people on this site do when they can't wait to pridefully display that ANF was not "semitic" but "European." I honestly don't give a shit, I just hate when people lie.

Insuperable
09-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Lol diminishing "unwanted admixture," is what the people on this site do when they can't wait to pridefully display that ANF was not "semitic" but "European." I honestly don't give a shit, I just hate when people lie.

ANF is what it is, but we know you can't stand Afghan Pashtun gedmatch results.

sql
09-22-2016, 02:00 AM
I don't think it's caucasian, because there's already 28% Persian/Turkish/Caucasus in there.

It is either legit Russian blood or apparently just PIE, which make up a chunk of pashtuns ancestry. The thing that is scary is the British though. I see people getting like <1%, but 7%? That's not noise, and my grandma scored a chunk too. I just hope it's not British rape.

It's an older, less accurate test. Jews have gotten weird results as well.

As for the British ancestry (even though it's not real), it doesn't mean rape. Maybe a British guy fell in love with an Afghan woman but they didn't tell the future generations they were mixed? Maybe the other way around? I've consistently scored Iberian on nearly all DNA tests. I could say that Spanish elites raped my ancestors or something but it doesn't matter, and it could equally (if not more probably) just be that I'm the descendant of a mixed relationship. Ethnic mixing isn't some newfangled invention. People are people, and have always been.

Myanthropologies
09-22-2016, 02:36 AM
It's an older, less accurate test. Jews have gotten weird results as well.

As for the British ancestry (even though it's not real), it doesn't mean rape. Maybe a British guy fell in love with an Afghan woman but they didn't tell the future generations they were mixed? Maybe the other way around? I've consistently scored Iberian on nearly all DNA tests. I could say that Spanish elites raped my ancestors or something but it doesn't matter, and it could equally (if not more probably) just be that I'm the descendant of a mixed relationship. Ethnic mixing isn't some newfangled invention. People are people, and have always been.

True. I don't care that I possibly have British in me, there's nothing wrong with that at all, but I was worried about the rape thing. But you're right, it's also highly likely a British man just really loved an afghan women, etc., which led to me having a British great great great grandfather. I think my grandma scored a little more of it than my sister did, maybe it does indicate something. Maybe it's just shared ancestry/genome markers.