PDA

View Full Version : A question for those who are pure British according to known paper trail

firemonkey
09-21-2016, 08:35 AM
How much Great Britain do you get?

I get Ireland 38 Scandinavian 23 Europe west 22 Great Britain 15 and then Italy/Greece and Europe east at <1 each.

My known ancestry comes from Gloucestershire,Lancashire,Staffordshire,
Warwickshire,Worcestershire, Yorkshire,Banffshire,Glasgow,Midlothian,
Morayshire and Ireland.

I was surprised at how low my Great Britain result was. I have heard when they update they are going to combine Great Britain and Europe west into one category.

Catkin
09-21-2016, 08:48 AM
Very similar to me. You actually get more British than I do :)

I'm on paper mostly southern English and Irish, with a tad Scottish and Welsh. These are my results:

Ireland 39%
Europe West 30%
Scandinavia 12%
Great Britain 11%
Caucasus 3%
Iberian 2%
Finland/Northeast Russia 1%
Italy/Greece 1%
Europe East <1%

It seems from what I've seen that Americans score higher for British than Brits do. Maybe they used Americans of British ancestry for their 'British' sample group, and British Americans are more likely to be closer related to each other than we are to them, I'm not sure.

frankhammer
09-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Great Britain 54%, Ireland 21%, Scandinavia 13%, east eu 4%, west eu 2%, italian-greek 4%, Russian-Finnish <1%, West Asia <1%
My family are from Essex and Norfolk with a little Donegal (Irish grandfather, Mothers side) thrown in. No other known non-British in the mix.

Catkin
09-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Ha ok :p. Not just Americans. I don't know why firemonkey and I score so little then. Hopefully more Brits will post their results.

firemonkey
09-21-2016, 11:47 AM
@Catkin how Irish are you according to your paper trail? According to mine I am 19%(rounded up) Irish. I wonder if they have difficulty distinguishing Great Britain from Irish.

Catkin
09-22-2016, 06:15 PM
@Catkin how Irish are you according to your paper trail? According to mine I am 19%(rounded up) Irish. I wonder if they have difficulty distinguishing Great Britain from Irish.

I'm not too sure. One grandad was Irish, so I have approx 25% from him. But my other three grandparents were from London, and as I trace further back into the 1800s I keep finding lines jumping back over to Ireland. So it's possible my ancestryDNA percentage isn't far off.

You have a fair bit of Scottish too I think? And Scottish and Irish overlap quite a lot, so perhaps your Irish score is showing your Scottish ancestry too.

I think if our Europe West was added to our British, our percentages wouldn't be so different to others.

Smitty
09-22-2016, 06:24 PM
Maybe they used Americans of British ancestry for their 'British' sample group, and British Americans are more likely to be closer related to each other than we are to them, I'm not sure.

They really shouldn't have done that, if they did. Even the most British Americans are likely to have a little bit of something else in there (German, French, Dutch, etc.).

Neon Knight
09-22-2016, 06:35 PM
My mum is 7/8 English, 1/8 Irish and got the following results:

Great Britain: 73% (Typical native: 60%)
Ireland: 12% (Typical native: 95%)
West Europe: 8% (Typical native: 48%)
Scandinavia: 3% (Typical native: 84%)
Finland/NW Russia: 1% (Typical native: 99%)
Iberia: 1% (Typical native: 51%)
East Europe: < 1% (Typical native: 82%)
North Africa: < 1% (Typical native: 100%)

Catkin
09-22-2016, 07:17 PM
My mum is 7/8 English, 1/8 Irish and got the following results:

Great Britain: 73% (Typical native: 60%)
Ireland: 12% (Typical native: 95%)
West Europe: 8% (Typical native: 48%)
Scandinavia: 3% (Typical native: 84%)
Finland/NW Russia: 1% (Typical native: 99%)
Iberia: 1% (Typical native: 51%)
East Europe: < 1% (Typical native: 82%)
North Africa: < 1% (Typical native: 100%)

Wow, pretty good, such high Great Britain too! Much lower Europe West and Scandinavia than we get. firemonkey and I appear to be British imposters :p

Catkin
09-22-2016, 07:21 PM
They really shouldn't have done that, if they did. Even the most British Americans are likely to have a little bit of something else in there (German, French, Dutch, etc.).

Yeah, if so, you're right. I'm not sure if it's true though, seems some Brits do score high too :).

sql
09-22-2016, 07:25 PM
I think you guys are heavily Scottish admixed.

firemonkey
09-22-2016, 10:34 PM
I think you guys are heavily Scottish admixed.

Catkin and I ? I think it's hard to separate Scottish and Irish. What may seem Irish may have been Scottish originally and vice versa.

Neon Knight
09-23-2016, 11:48 PM
One grandad was Irish, so I have approx 25% from him. But my other three grandparents were from London, and as I trace further back into the 1800s I keep finding lines jumping back over to Ireland. So it's possible my ancestryDNA percentage isn't far off.It's a similar story for me, especially with my paternal grandmother. It looks like many Catholic Irish immigants were absorbed into English Catholic communities.

For ancestry proportions based on a paper-trail, I go off the surname origins of 16 great great grandparents, in which case I'm 8/16 English and 7/16 Irish with one name to be ascertained. I'm also assuming my Irish grandfather was fully Irish.