PDA

View Full Version : Right Europeans of TA, what's something Americans of USA do that you think is weird or bizarre?

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm really interested in your opinions.

Queen B
09-29-2016, 03:21 PM
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/scooters-walmart-gatorade.jpg

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 03:22 PM
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/scooters-walmart-gatorade.jpg

can't see anything

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Saying something like this:

I was in few European countries - Germany, Paris and Spain.

While the others perceive Europe as a country.

Queen B
09-29-2016, 03:26 PM
can't see anything
? I can see it .
It's the fat-ass people rolling around in walmart with those scooters.

Smitty
09-29-2016, 03:26 PM
Saying something like this:

I was in few European countries - Germany, Paris and Spain.

While the others perceive Europe as a country.

Nobody perceives Europe as a country. We may talk like it at times, but we're all aware that it is a continent made up of multiple different countries.

Smitty
09-29-2016, 03:28 PM
? I can see it .

I can't see it either, but this is indeed a real-life phenomenon. I see them every Saturday. :laugh:

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Nobody perceives Europe as a country. We may talk like it at times, but we're all aware that it is a continent made up of multiple different countries.

Every American or just some of you?

Antimage
09-29-2016, 03:29 PM
I can't think of anything tbh.

Smitty
09-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Every American or just some of you?

I would say the vast majority. Street interview videos make me doubt myself, but I have a difficult time believing they are representative. Or maybe I'm just an incredibly smart American. :)

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 03:33 PM
I would say the vast majority. Street interview videos make me doubt myself, but I have a difficult time believing they are representative. Or maybe I'm just an incredibly smart American. :)

idk

exchange spanish students in american highs told me most americans there didn't know where Spain was, even they thought it was southwards from México. Word.

Smitty
09-29-2016, 03:35 PM
idk

exchange spanish students in american highs told me most americans there didn't know where Spain was, even they thought it was southwards from México. Word.

Oh, Spain is another subject entirely. I'll give you that. Mestizos have created mass confusion here.

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Also, I don't get why some Americans (tourists) who come to specific European countries have expectations that everybody speaks English here. When someone dares to not speak English they are shocked. I don't also get why they share to much things about themselves in social media, what they were doing last evening, what are their thoughts about global warming and other shit. I just don't get it. And everybody seems interested about it.

The last thing, which is not only weird for me but also annoying slightly, is this constant asking "How are you?" - why ask this if you don't care? O_o

Smitty
09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Also, I don't get why some Americans (tourists) who come to specific European countries have expectations that everybody speaks English here. When someone dares to not speak English they are shocked. I don't also get why they share to much things about themselves in social media, what they were doing last evening, what are their thoughts about global warming and other shit. I just don't get it. And everybody seems interested about it.

The last thing, which is not only weird for me but also annoying slightly, is this constant asking "How are you?" - why ask this if you don't care? O_o

The English thing is a compliment. We think you all are that cultured. It's just recently I've realized that English is only widely spoken in Germanic countries.

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 03:49 PM
The English thing is a compliment. We think you all are that cultured. It's just recently I've realized that English is only widely spoken in Germanic countries.

I don't know how's that supposed to be a compliment. :p

Smitty
09-29-2016, 03:54 PM
I don't know how's that supposed to be a compliment. :p

No? I would take it as such if people thought all Americans spoke two or more languages...which, of course, couldn't be further from the truth.

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 03:59 PM
No? I would take it as such if people thought all Americans spoke two or more languages...which, of course, couldn't be further from the truth.

Many people speak other languages here, not necessarily English.

Anyway, I was rather refering to a situation when someone literally expects people here to speak English. Not a situation when someone is happy that someone actually does, but when they simply think they will easily communicate in English with an average, let's say, Ukrainian. And then are complains that they couldn't buy a ticket in Kiev.

Smitty
09-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Many people speak other languages here, not necessarily English.

Anyway, I was rather refering to a situation when someone literally expects people here to speak English. Not a situation when someone is happy that someone actually does, but when they simply think they will easily communicate in English with an average, let's say, Ukrainian. And then are complains that they couldn't buy a ticket in Kiev.

Yeah, complaining is very rude. I might have expected it in the sense that I thought everyone would, but I wouldn't expect it in the sense that if they don't, I'm going to throw a temper tantrum.

Myanthropologies
09-29-2016, 04:05 PM
? I can see it .

Lol that's so true. And then they get in the line for the McDonald's in wal mart afterwards.

Profileid
09-29-2016, 04:06 PM

Because we like to be friendly and show interest by asking about people.

JBoscherville
09-29-2016, 04:07 PM
The 'hispanic/latino' thing. I've read a lot of American media (including 'latino') about the hardness to define the terms and how it's confusing and I'm all like no shit Latin America and Spanish speaking countries are multi-ethnic and are made up of the same 'races' as the US. It still blows me mind every time I see it written and I have no idea why non-Americans of TA use it.

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Because we like to be friendly and show interest by asking about people.

It's a fake politeness.

Profileid
09-29-2016, 04:11 PM
It's a fake politeness.

Not always. The fake polite people are salespeople and such. Most Americans aren't trying to "fake" being polite when they do that

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 04:11 PM

Not only Americans, British too.

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Ah, there is one more thing. Americans use a term "football" for a wrong sport.

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Not always. The fake polite people are salespeople and such. Most Americans aren't trying to "fake" being polite when they do that

Hm, I still don't get what is the point of asking this question. Isn't it simply better to say "hi" and then directly to the point?

Smitty
09-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Hm, I still don't get what is the point of asking this question. Isn't it simply better to say "hi" and then directly to the point?

It is. But I feel rude when I do that.

Profileid
09-29-2016, 04:18 PM

It's just how it is. When I worked in a grocery store, i would sometimes just greet customers with "hi" but it didn't feel right.
"Hi,How are you?" slips off the tongue of most americans and its hard to not say it,

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 04:20 PM
It's a fake politeness.

Well. In spanish we have more or less the same expressions (almost literally): how are you - como estas (respectful: como esta usted); how are you doing - que haces. We use both as greetings as well.

in french, also practically the same: comment ça va, comment allez vous (with verb "aller", to go). (same in german with wie geht's)

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 04:20 PM
It's just how it is. When I worked in a grocery store, i would sometimes just greet customers with "hi" but it didn't feel right.
"Hi,How are you?" slips off the tongue of most americans and its hard to not say it,

I presume usual responses are something like "fine"? ;)

Smitty
09-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Well. In spanish we have more or less the same expressions (almost literally): how are you - como estas (respectful: como esta usted); how are you doing - que haces. We use both as greetings as well.

in french, also practically the same: comment ça va, comment allez vous (with verb "aller", to go). (same in german with wie geht's)

Do people respond to the question in Spanish? As Bezprym says, we generally answer with "fine" or "good." So although a greeting, it is slightly more than that in American English.

Profileid
09-29-2016, 04:22 PM
I presume usual responses are something like "fine"? ;)

"Goo"
"Okay"
"Fine"

Yeah stuff like that. It's rare for someone to say more than that.

Bezprym
09-29-2016, 04:24 PM
"Goo"
"Okay"
"Fine"

Yeah stuff like that. It's rare for someone to say more than that.

Actually Barbaro reminded me that in Polish we have similar question - co tam? or co słychać? (basically means "what's up") - sometimes used during a greeting. But then a person who asked that question must be aware of the fact that might have just started an unpleasant conversation.

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 04:26 PM
It is. But I feel rude when I do that.

Aha. interesting.

We can (usually) go to a shop and say directly "Hola (Hi) or Buenos dias (good morning/evening....)" and going immediately to the point... unless you know already the people on the establishment, shop, whatever... then you can complete the greetings with "como estas" or sth similar before going to the point

Autrigón
09-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Their knowledge about geography...it's a miracle if they know where is Canada and Mexico

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Do people respond to the question in Spanish? As Bezprym says, we generally answer with "fine" or "good." So although a greeting, it is slightly more than that in American English.

Sure. It's like an greeting acceptation/response, "bien", muy bien", "genial"... or with another kind of greeting in asking way: bien, ¿qué hay?, ¿qué pasa? (more or less similar to what's up, yes)...

Smitty
09-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Aha. interesting.

We can (usually) go to a shop and say directly "Hola (Hi) or Buenos dias (good morning/evening....)" and going immediately to the point... unless you know already the people on the establishment, shop, whatever... then you can complete the greetings with "como estas" or sth similar before going to the point

Part of it may be the fact I used to work in retail and therefore empathize with retail workers. In a way, I really do care how they're doing. Or more precisely, I feel bad for contributing to their horrible day. A lot of (most?) people couldn't care less about that.

MsSPF
09-29-2016, 04:34 PM
I don't understand why Americans speak SO LOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 04:39 PM

For me it's weird, strange, surprises me their "Yeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah", as a way of celebration...

by the way, ithat "yeehah" is american or of mexican origin?

Bagot
09-29-2016, 04:49 PM
I'm really interested in your opinions.

The fact that Americans think to be European. I'm sure that a French, a Spanish, an Italian, a Greek, a German, a Dutch, a Serbian... have more in common than Europeans really share culturally with the Americans.

zhaoyun
09-29-2016, 05:06 PM

It's a sign of great confidence. I know, might need some getting used to.

Smitty
09-29-2016, 05:16 PM
The fact that Americans think to be European. I'm sure that a French, a Spanish, an Italian, a Greek, a German, a Dutch, a Serbian... have more in common than Europeans really share culturally with the Americans.

Who would doubt such a statement? On the other hand, Americans probably share more with Brits than Brits do with Continental Europeans, no?

Queen B
09-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Well, as a Greek, I find it pretty understandable :cool::cool:

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Who would doubt such a statement? On the other hand, Americans probably share more with Brits than Brits do with Continental Europeans, no?

culturally, I think yes. Your education system is practically enterilly anglo.

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Well, as a Greek, I find it pretty understandable :cool::cool:

me too :D

Smitty
09-29-2016, 05:26 PM
culturally, I think yes. Your education system is practically enterilly anglo.

I don't think that was a compliment. :laugh: I can't really comment on our education system as I didn't go through it.

Prism
09-29-2016, 05:31 PM
-The fact that Americans are so lazy they can get practically anything delievered to their house, even medicines/pharmaceutical drugs, so they don't ever need to leave their houses.

-Drive in pharmacies, wtf??

-Their entire cuisine is basically stolen recipes from other countries (besides burgers) like nachos and pizza.

-Hooters, I cannot imagine a boss denying to hire an employee because her tits are too small jk. But in all seriousness a lot of women complain that they are objectified working at hooters, I mean obviously you're going to be fucking objectified your tits are almost hanging out! Get another job if you're not willing to handle being a half-naked waitress and the consequences that come with it.

-The fact that nearly everybody pulls their socks up to their calves when they wear shorts.

-It's so fucking weird to me that people just go up in public and chat up a stranger, I don't know if this is the norm (I've seen it on Youtube various times) but in Europe people would look at you like you're crazy.

zhaoyun
09-29-2016, 05:35 PM
-The fact that Americans are so lazy they can get practically anything delievered to their house, even medicines/pharmaceutical drugs, so they don't ever need to leave their houses.

-Drive in pharmacies, wtf??

-Their entire cuisine is basically stolen recipes from other countries (besides burgers) like nachos and pizza.

-Hooters, I cannot imagine a boss denying to hire an employee because her tits are too small jk. But in all seriousness a lot of women complain that they are objectified working at hooters, I mean obviously you're going to be fucking objectified your tits are almost hanging out! Get another job if you're not willing to handle being a half-naked waitress.

-The fact that nearly everybody pulls their socks up to their calves when they wear shorts.

-It's so fucking weird to me that people just go up in public and chat up a stranger, I don't know if this is the norm (I've seen it on Youtube various times) but in Europe people would look at you like you're crazy.

Try Cajun/creole food some time. It's the best and most original cuisine in America.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/CreoleFood.jpg

Prism
09-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Try Cajun/creole food some time. It's the best and most original cuisine in America.

I will looks good :thumb001:

So is it normal to talk as in have full conversations with strangers in the US, or do people just do that on youtube?

zhaoyun
09-29-2016, 05:39 PM
I will looks good :thumb001:

So is it normal to talk as in have full conversations with strangers in the US, or do people just do that on youtube?

I'd say it's pretty normal. Americans are just confident, generous, friendly people. What's wrong with that? Better than being a bunch of over-polite, introverted, socially retarded people like some other countries are.

Prism
09-29-2016, 05:48 PM
I'd say it's pretty normal. Americans are just confident, generous, friendly people. What's wrong with that? Better than being a bunch of over-polite, introverted, socially retarded people like some other countries are.

Well it'd be considered very strange in Europe unless it was in a bar, party etc, but in public no way. Well I would say Europeans are more introverted but the rest no. I'm planning to visit soon.

It's funny because before Americans saw us Europeans as very liberal sexually, by showing boobs in films (mostly in French and Spanish films) for example and now with Miley Cyrus and all that degeneracy, it seems like the tables have turned. Europeans are now seen as more reserved and conversative sexually in contrast to Americans, at least I think so.

zhaoyun
09-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Well it'd be considered very strange in Europe unless it was in a bar, party etc, but in public no way. Well I would say Europeans are more introverted but the rest no. I'm planning to visit soon.

It's funny because before Americans saw us Europeans as very liberal sexually, by showing boobs in films (mostly in French and Spanish films) for example and now with Miley Cyrus and all that degeneracy, it seems like the tables have turned. Europeans are now seen as more reserved and conversative sexually in contrast to Americans, at least I think so.

IDK if Americans are more liberal sexually, but I think Europeans are more discreet definitely. BTW, I didn't mean to say Euros are socially retarded, I was thinking of other nationalities. But enjoy your stay in the US, it's a big country and the regions are vastly different from one another.

Dandelion
09-29-2016, 05:57 PM
Why did you specify 'right Europeans'?

Dandelion
09-29-2016, 05:58 PM

I'm thinking of Japan here. You have to even initially refuse gifts and reluctantly accept them, while showing appreciation at the same time. Comes off as fake. All those rules. I do appreciate this mentality in public transportation, but day-in- day-out? Would seem very restricting.

You were thinking of Europe and probably especially Northern Europe though. :D

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 06:04 PM

French/Spanish cuisine.

I can see jambalaya over there It's a canarian dish (in spite of american could say).

EL_BARBARO
09-29-2016, 06:07 PM
Why did you specify 'right Europeans'?

europeans born in Europe, not new worlder europeans born and brought up in USA.

Dandelion
09-29-2016, 06:09 PM
IDK if Americans are more liberal sexually, but I think Europeans are more discreet definitely. BTW, I didn't mean to say Euros are socially retarded, I was thinking of other nationalities. But enjoy your stay in the US, it's a big country and the regions are vastly different from one another.

Depends on where in Europe. The Spanish costas during summer are like literally Sodom and Gomorrah.

Ylla
09-29-2016, 06:12 PM
I dont agree with europeans being less sociable and loud...esp not balkans compared to americans

♥ Lily ♥
09-29-2016, 06:19 PM

That's not solely relegated as an American etiquette, as British, French, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders also ask people how they are during greetings, amongst people of other cultures and nationalities too.

It's just considerate to ask someone about their general wellbeing.

It also gives the asker an idea if the person they're speaking to is going through a difficult time or if they're unwell, and if they need to be more sensitive in their approach around someone.

It's also a good and polite way of starting a conversation with someone you meet.

You don't ask people how they are in your country?! :icon_ask:

In France the people also ask this question to others during greetings... 'Ça va?'

The question isn't fake politeness - but the responses to the question can often be a white lie, since people usually say they're fine even if they're feeling upset, so not to distress or worry others.

The most common lie is, 'I'm fine, thanks.' ('Ça va bien, merci, et vous?')

http://favim.com/orig/201105/21/fine-h.a-im-fine-lies-text-this-is-a-lie-Favim.com-51594.jpg

Casandrinos
09-29-2016, 06:45 PM
The way they connect with their ancestral roots. They do it in a very superficial way, just to brag at fellow Muricans which shows complexes and insecurity. (or autism -> Sikeliot)

Antimage
09-29-2016, 06:52 PM
new worlder europeans born and brought up in USA.

they are americans...are tzhey not?

Antimage
09-29-2016, 06:56 PM
I can't think of anything tbh.

I thought about it a bit. What I find weird about them is their sport culture... american football, indycar,nascar and especially baseball.

Colonel Frank Grimes
09-29-2016, 07:17 PM
I thought about it a bit. What I find weird about them is their sport culture... american football, indycar,nascar and especially baseball.

Bro, Mets in that wild card race despite an injury decimated pitching squad. Shows that Mets bull pen has depth. You just gotz to focus on pitchers when you draft. I know that you know what I'm talking about. Word is born.

MissMischief
09-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Ok, here's my list ;)

- Portion sizes (too big) and how many versions of every food product there are. It's pretty insane!
- Flags all over the place. The amount of flags you Americans have waving everywhere is disconcerting
- Tax not included in price in shops so the price you see on an item is not the same one you pay at checkout :confused:
- Tipping
- Advertising prescription drugs
- The huge bottles of pills
- Commercials for lawyers... on the side of the road, on TV, in hotel rooms etc... :eek:
- American children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance every day in schools
- How easy it is to buy guns
- Free refills
- The whole sorority and fraternity system in college and how college football players are treated as some kind of celebrities. The hell, they’re just students that do an extra-curricular activity! xD
- Sweet 16. Why the hell do you celebrate it?
- The drinking age. It's just so silly and absurd that young Americans can vote, marry, enter into contracts and serve in the military at 18, but cannot buy an alcoholic beverage till 21
- The driving age. I think 16 is too young to drive. Kids at that age are way too immature to handle today's cars and roadway risks
- The huge level of homelessness
- Motorised wheelchairs/mobility scooters in supermarkets
- Toilets with giant door gaps. People can see you peeing!
- Being cashless. Most Americans use credit/debit cards to purchase items instead of cash, even for as little as a pack of gum
- Not taking vacation days. This is completely unfathomable to a European
- There's a drive thru everything....even liquor stores in some states
- You have to register to vote. Over here, you're 18, you can vote
- Apparently American buildings have a shit ton of air conditioning

Lightshade25
09-30-2016, 01:40 AM
Lol

Óttar
09-30-2016, 01:59 AM
Bro, Mets in that wild card race despite an injury decimated pitching squad. Shows that Mets bull pen has depth. You just gotz to focus on pitchers when you draft. I know that you know what I'm talking about. Word is born.
Especially when the quarterback gets sacked behind the line of scrimmage on a third and ten and fumbles in the redzone after a pick-six by the Free Safety running a Nickel defense on the previous drive. It's like, you gotta read the Blitz before you throw into coverage.

zhaoyun
09-30-2016, 01:59 AM
Ok, here's my list ;)

- Portion sizes (too big) and how many versions of every food product there are. It's pretty insane!
- Flags all over the place. The amount of flags you Americans have waving everywhere is disconcerting
- Tax not included in price in shops so the price you see on an item is not the same one you pay at checkout :confused:
- Tipping
- Commercials for lawyers... on the side of the road, on TV, in hotel rooms etc... :eek:
- Free refills
- The whole sorority and fraternity system in college and how college football players are treated as some kind of celebrities. The hell, they’re just students that do an extra-curricular activity! xD
- The drinking age. It's just so silly and absurd that young Americans can vote, marry, enter into contracts and serve in the military at 18, but cannot buy an alcoholic beverage till 21
- The driving age. I think 16 is too young to drive. Kids at that age are way too immature to handle today's cars and roadway risks
- Being cashless. Most Americans use credit/debit cards to purchase items instead of cash, even for as little as a pack of gum

You've put a lot of thought into this. Have you ever been to the US?

For about half of those things, it's greatly exaggerated, trust me.

Dandelion
09-30-2016, 02:03 AM
Ok, here's my list ;)

- Tipping
- Free refills

I'll never call Southern Europeans lazy again. ;)

Colonel Frank Grimes
09-30-2016, 02:04 AM
Especially when the quarterback gets sacked behind the line of scrimmage on a third and ten and fumbles in the redzone after a pick-six by the Free Safety running a Nickel defense on the previous drive. It's like, you gotta read the Blitz before you throw into coverage.

Football?! Are you some kinda fag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY3W9Z4bdS8

I love Standhope's thrift store suits.

Mortimer
09-30-2016, 02:22 AM
-fat people in scooters, never saw that in austria, here fat people dont use scooters.
-weird "churches"/chappels in Las Vegas who marry you even if you are gay or lesbian, and who do those weird weddings, saw that often on movies ("lets run off to Las Vegas to get married"), or ("We have been drunk in Las Vegas and we got married, now we dont remember anymore that we are married)
-bacon fried in nutella, fried candie bars

zhaoyun
09-30-2016, 02:23 AM
-fat people in scooters, never saw that in austria, here fat people dont use scooters.
-weird "churches"/chappels in LA who marry you even if you are gay or lesbian, and who do those weird weddings, saw that often on movies ("lets run off to LA to get married"), or ("We have been drunk in LA and we got married, now we dont remember anymore that we are married)
-bacon fried in nutella, fried candie bars

People usually do crazy weddings in Las Vegas, not LA

Mortimer
09-30-2016, 02:24 AM
People usually do crazy weddings in Las Vegas, not LA

yeah Las Vegas bro, sorry

Neon Knight
09-30-2016, 02:57 AM
Actually Barbaro reminded me that in Polish we have similar question - co tam? or co słychać? (basically means "what's up") - sometimes used during a greeting. But then a person who asked that question must be aware of the fact that might have just started an unpleasant conversation."What's up?" has a different meaning in Britain, precisely: "What is wrong?" if someone looks upset. Though some now use it in the American sense of "What have you been doing recently?" sort of thing.

Neon Knight
09-30-2016, 03:13 AM
The almost relgious attitude to gun ownership and the denial of how detrimental guns are to society.

Those 'morale booster' songs that the soldiers chant when they are on training runs. Like: "Da-da-da da-da-da daaa, Da-da-da da-da-da duuu" but with words, you know what I mean?

Mortimer
09-30-2016, 05:50 AM
Ok, here's my list ;)

- Tipping
- Free refills

wow you pointed out alot of little differences which we dont have in europe. you are well familiar with murica. congrats. have you ever been there?

Ouistreham
09-30-2016, 09:32 AM
Beer being served in buckets.

Other than that, no much difference I can think of.

Just the opposite. In the USA you constantly have to make sure to carry some cash because of that obnoxious tipping practice.

EL_BARBARO
09-30-2016, 09:53 AM

A propos, a marvellous scene in "The Big Lebowski", a true oeuvre d'art:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/balanchuk/check.jpg

Jehan
09-30-2016, 11:21 AM
* USA election. Your candidats are openly and totally corrupt by lobbys but you still vote for the two same party.

* Superiority complex. Guys your country was basically irelevant before WWII and you only became the world leader due to the total destruction of Europe. Let's be honest, you are not enought smart totake the lead.

* The way you deal with your veterans. Americans seems to be very proud of their army and very patriotic, but they threat their veterans like shit. They are one of the poorest population in USA.

Autrigón
09-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Depends on where in Europe. The Spanish costas during summer are like literally Sodom and Gomorrah.hahaha!! yesss more or less ;)

♥ Lily ♥
09-30-2016, 10:37 PM
Something I find strange is the way they say 'period' at the end of a sentence.

♥ Lily ♥
09-30-2016, 10:43 PM
Advertisements for prescription drugs.

http://www.techinsider.io/weird-things-about-america-reddit-2016-3/#1-turkey-legs-1

Linebacker
10-01-2016, 12:43 AM
They post here.

Wadaad
10-01-2016, 12:50 AM
Not a right european but one observation:

In Africa, obesity is a sign of upper class/wealth
In the US, obesity is a sign of poverty

Wadaad
10-01-2016, 12:52 AM
The almost relgious attitude to gun ownership and the denial of how detrimental guns are to society.

Those 'morale booster' songs that the soldiers chant when they are on training runs. Like: "Da-da-da da-da-da daaa, Da-da-da da-da-da duuu" but with words, you know what I mean?

This-is-my-pis-tol-this-is-my-gun...
This-is-for-fight-ing-this-is-for-fun...

Shkembe Chorba
10-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Calling football a soccer.

Not drinking alcohol till 18 y-o.

Their geography teachers.

Arse obsession.

The prom thing.

Being capable of producing really fine TV shows, yet making shits like Sex and the city, Braking bad and those comics-related from the recent years.

Kim Kardashian and her fans.

The super bowl thing.

MissMischief
10-02-2016, 10:21 PM
wow you pointed out alot of little differences which we dont have in europe. you are well familiar with murica. congrats. have you ever been there?

Nope but my sister, my boyfriend and quite a few friends of mine have been there and they told me that. Plus, an American guy I often talk to online has confirmed it's all true :p

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
10-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Ok, here's my list ;)

Thats good. More for your moneys worth

They like flags

Yeah thats something that could be helpful but its so normalized here and people know there will be tax.

- Tipping
The employers dont want to pay the employees more, Theoretically they get tipped better for the quality of their service as well.

Pharmaceutical Industry is a business.

Well it would be worse if you had to for more bottles sooner

Lawsiuts are common here. People look for anything to file a lawsuit here. Many times its justified other times its people just trying to make a buck off someone and the system

- American children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance every day in schoolsMurica, thats why

- How easy it is to buy guns I never bought a gun. Its harder to purchase guns in the city from what I know but its very easy in the south and outside big city areas.

- Free refillsWhats bad about that?

- The whole sorority and fraternity system in college and how college football players are treated as some kind of celebrities. The hell, they’re just students that do an extra-curricular activity! xD Yea its weird.

- Sweet 16. Why the hell do you celebrate it? I have no idea why, It wasn't a thing when I was younger.

- The drinking age. It's just so silly and absurd that young Americans can vote, marry, enter into contracts and serve in the military at 18, but cannot buy an alcoholic beverage till 21 Yea it is dumb, but to be fair Americans get obnoxious and troublesome when they are drunk. They have a bad rep in Europe for it too because if americans are drunk theres at least one Drunk american going to fuck something up

- The driving age. I think 16 is too young to drive. Kids at that age are way too immature to handle today's cars and roadway risks I don't disagree. Younger drivers are usually more reckless and imature on the road

- The huge level of homelessness Some blame obama, some blame the big corporatists, some blame the Illuminati, Some blame the man.

- Motorised wheelchairs/mobility scooters in supermarkets Some people are disabled. But I think you mean that sometimes employees ride on. I don't know why

What do you mean? Show me an example. Toilets are usually in an enclosed space with a door so no one can see you shit.

- Being cashless. Most Americans use credit/debit cards to purchase items instead of cash, even for as little as a pack of gum Because crime. If you have cash you can get robbed. Plus no one really likes carrying change. But most people don't pay for small stuff with a credit card. In most places there's a 5 dollar minimum to use a credit card.

- Not taking vacation days. This is completely unfathomable to a European Because thats leftest communists propaganda here.

Whats so bad about drive throughs?

I guess its to have better accountability of votes. I don't know really I never gave it a thought really.

- Apparently American buildings have a shit ton of air conditioning I know its awesome in summer time.

Sebastianus Rex
10-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Their Coca Cola doesn't taste like Coca Cola, it has a very weird flowery taste. I found that they a few decades ago they started to use corn sirop instead of sugar like the other countries and that alters completely the taste.

Profileid
10-03-2016, 03:14 AM

Americans consider guns to be an important symbol of their freedom and a central part of their culture and history. You really can't remove it from our society without it completing changing us. Besides, take away guns and you'll have a ton of stabbings like in the UK.

Calling football a soccer.

Not drinking alcohol till 18 y-o.

Their geography teachers.

Arse obsession.

The prom thing.

Being capable of producing really fine TV shows, yet making shits like Sex and the city, Braking bad and those comics-related from the recent years.

Kim Kardashian and her fans.

The super bowl thing.

Soccer sounds better

We can't legally buy alcohol until age 21(Thanks MADD!)

Yeah, we love asses. A lot of it is the black influence. I showed a friend of mine a rap video and he was like "What is it with American and asses?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwrY0D2ACNk

Prom is another cultural thing. It's supposed to be a big deal. I was told I was "missing out" by not going to any in hs.

The first super bowl was in the early 1960s,but it's caught on.