PDA

View Full Version : Maybe an interesting speech: Dutch prime minister on the Fuel Crisis (1973)

The Lawspeaker
09-16-2010, 01:34 AM
http://www.sportgeschiedenis.nl/userfiles/geen%20auto.jpg
Driving ban on sundays.

http://www.sportgeschiedenis.nl/userfiles/benzinebon.jpg
Ration cards for fuel.

The 1973 Fuel Crisis (Oliecrisis van 1973) was the result of the Arab embargo against the United States and several countries in Western Europe (f.i the Netherlands) for their support for Israel during the Yom Kippur War.
For the first time since ages we could see what Muslims were really like if things didn't go according to their script.

In the Netherlands fuel was rationed on the 7th of January 1974 for the duration of a month, during the late autumn of 1973 and the winter of 1974 people were asked to turn down the heating and be conservative with electricity and on Sundays there was an all out driving ban.
In a press conference given in those days (The Dutch version can be found here (http://geschiedenis.vpro.nl/themasites/mediaplayer/index.jsp?media=33865221&refernr=24987103&portalnr=4158511&hostname=geschiedenis&mediatype=video&portalid=geschiedenis)), prime minister Den Uyl addressed the nation - and for some the speech may sound eerily familiar.

Good evening,

Yesterday the government has decided that from January 7 onwards petrol can only be obtained while using ration cards. That means that for the first time since the war a young generation will be acquainted to rationing and scarcity. A great number of people are concerned about the effects it will have on our general welfare and in particular in the realm of employment.
I would like to stress that their concerns are not unfounded although we have to guard ourselves against exaggeration.

Tonight I will address you in order to explain clearly what problems our people will face and how the government will confront these issues.

The energy crisis that we are facing is global. During summer, before the outbreak of the hostilities in the Middle East, the bigger user of fuel, the United States started to reduce the amount of fuel it was using and at the same moment the fuel prices were rising dramatically -signs of a shortage of fuel and particularly of oil.

During the second half of October the majority of the oil-producing nations in the Middle decided to reduce the production of oil - the factual reduction is as of yet around 25 percent. All countries that import oil, from Japan to Canada are now facing the results. During the end of October, the Netherlands especially was targeted with an oil boycott.

Now our country is facing an even more stringent reduction of the access to oil which can be a result of this step.
Some are asking themselves whether the measures taken (by the government) as of yet will be sufficient while others are asking whether these measures are necessary at all as there are, as some say, large stockpiles. The oil tanks (refinery) at Rijnmond (port of Rotterdam) are full. May I explain why I believe that these measures are necessary despite the tanks being full ?

Immediately after it become clear that are Arab oil-producing countries were reducing their output dramatically did the government ask the fuel companies to cutback on their sales for all purposes including the export.

And you know it: on the 31th of October, the Netherlands as the first country in Europe got the Sunday's driving ban.

So what does this mean ? A fuel tanker coming from the Middle East takes around 5 weeks in order to make the journey here. During the past month of November did we still get the oil from before the boycott and in that same month we have reduced our use of oil with as a result that the amount of oil that we has risen. Fortunately. But now .. now the access to oil is diminishing rapidly and that means that our supplies our dwindling. During the last week our access has fallen by 30 percent.
And I am following these figures on a daily basis.

And now we can use our supplies in the way we are used too for the coming two to three months but if we did that we could risk ending up in a real emergency situation in March and that wouldn't be responsible.

We will have to count in that there is a likelihood that the reduced access to oil will continue to exist for a longer time with a reduction of 20, 30 percent in comparison to the normal situation and maybe more.
And that's why those measures taken are to be considered unavoidable.

The first mayor concern of this government is to make sure that the rate of employment can be maintained and you have to see it this way: now that the oil which enters the Netherlands is used for 70 percent by business, 30 percent by private persons for the use in traffic, heating or lighting. Now that we are conserving more in the house and on the road in that way we can preserve our economy for a long time and maintain our levels of employment. That's why the government has started with measures to reduce the private use of petrol and that we have called on you to remain conservative with heating and lighting. And I would like repeat this call upon you. Please stick to the 100 km/h on the road, lorry drivers: please stick to the 80 km/h. Be conservative with the use of electricity, lower your heater and switch it off sooner. Our country is facing a unique situation as we have many mayor industries that are reliant on oil as a basic resource and that is making our country especially vulnerable which is fortunately balanced our by the fact that our country has a substantial amount of natural gas and the government is willing to use that natural gas now that trouble is brewing.

During winter when a substantial amount of gas is consumed do the electricity companies usually use oil instead and that is something that we try to avoid during this winter but in order to avoid it we have to be conservative with natural gas at home or at the office.

And then that very important question: will it be possible to avoid a dramatic increase of unemployment ? At present rather scary figures about the perceived future level of unemployment are being published.. and yes as I said: there is a real reason for concern. Suppose that the influx of oil will be even further curtailed by let's say 40 percent and this would take longer then half a year so that our current supplies will have run out then the collapse of certain companies and certain strains of the economy will be inevitable. But the government is taking a number of measures that are designed to prevent such a catastrophic outcome and we assume that with your collaboration it will be possible to be successful in just that. The government will, in the first instance through reductions in the consumption of oil in the public sector create more space for the use of oil in the private sector and that's what the rationing of petrol is intended to do. There will also be additional measures meant to curtail the unnecessary use of electricity f.i the Christmas lighting, The government intends to, in the second instance, replace the use of oil as much as possible for the use of natural gas in where that is at least technologically feasible and then the government will institute a distribution of all oil products (not just petrol) in order to help those businesses in the private sector get a first call on oil that have the largest benefits for employment. Whether it will work in this way to prevent a sharp rise of unemployment that it is only in the hands of the Netherlands.

A lot also depends on the attitude that other countries within the European Community will adopt (towards the Netherlands) and the government makes a call on the main principles of the European Community and that Community can only function when scarce products are shared according to proportionality and the government will in the round of international consultancy that will come soon empathise on that now we can show European solidarity. Now we can see the real value of the European Community.

But I have to add here that when that solidarity is followed the entire European Community, and that includes our country, will face the consequence of the fuel crisis. How by a lower economic growth, by rising prices.. there will simply be less to go around. Also when the special boycott against our country will be lifted will we still see the results of the reduction of the output and with the energy shortage all over the world which affects countries. I already pointed out that the present crisis, that shortage of energy that we are facing, that shockingly points out that the shortage of energy was already existent. We have to understand together that we cannot go on in the way that we have done with limited supplies of energy and resources over the past quarter of a century. In that light: the world from before the fuel crisis will not return. We will have to adapt ourselves lastingly to a way of life with a more conservative use of resources and energy and this will affect our way of life. Certain ways of life will become redundant but it doesn't have to make our existence a dreary one.

When I said that I don't want to make talk lightly about the troubles that our fellow citizens will face and are facing today as a result of the crisis situation: those that are working in the leisure sector, the car dealers and those other's whose livelihood depends on the car, the employees and the employers that are now fearful for their livelihoods and the discomfort that follows their reduced access to the use of their car. One is suffering more under the necessary measures then the other. That may not be very just but it cannot always be avoided.

At the moment the government is preparing a number of measures that is meant to preserve employment as best as possible and to split the (financial) trouble that we are facing now as best as possible. The heaviest burdens will be placed on the strongest shoulders.

Where possible the conversion from oil to natural gas, that is already being implemented will be expanded and where the jobs are falling because the resource or energy is not present will by means of shorter working hours, especially designed policies for the termination of employment that some, and I am thinking about those in the sectors that already have been affected, will become the victims of an emergency that affects us all. At the end of next week the government will ask the parliament for the powers in order to introduce special regulations for all incomes for the year 1974. For the wages of the employees but also for the salary of the manager, for the incomes and prices in the free sector and for the salary of the civil servants. For the rents, lease agreements, dividends and tantièmes. There will be special price regulations and it is the opinion of the government that where there is less to go around it will be spread equally. This is a time where will recognize the hard facts: in a wide area of life will be there be forceful restrictions placed in the coming weeks but more important is that we all together are willing to confront these new issues.

I am grateful for the voluntarily collaboration that we have received on such a surprising large scale and that collaboration will be necessary because we simply can't force one to do everything and that's something we don't want either ! But that collaboration will be necessary in order to conserve petrol, gas and electricity. But that collaboration when, tomorrow, we can no longer use the car to go along together in cramped buses, trams and trains but if we are willing to do just that then it will be no cold winter.. even if it may be freezing.

The Lawspeaker
09-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Full Dutch speech (http://degidsfm.vara.nl/Bouwput-Noord-detailpagina.8160.0.html?&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=35483&cHash=7c4253159abdd2e96ee58d53d0755626) for those interested.