PDA

View Full Version : Multiple citizenship/ Dual Nationality - would you be for it?

Tyrrhenoi
09-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Multiple citizenship/ Dual Nationality - would you be for it?

What's your opinion on this matter?

Eldritch
09-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Why not, say I moved to some other country on a part-time or semi-permanent basis. Citizenship is not ethnicity.

Tyrrhenoi
09-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Why not, say I moved to some other country on a part-time or semi-permanent basis. Citizenship is not ethnicity.

I know some fine examples:

a Moroccan man with Marroccan/...... nationality who has a high function in your gouvernment.

What if king Mohammed would ask him a favor, who undermines your country? He must obey him as a national!

Citizenship is not ethnicity.
Mmm... but it is beeing part of a group or culture

Korbis
09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
You mean being one of them non-european?

I have British/Spanish citizenship, not a great deal. American citizenship on the other hand seems ridiculously kind of hard to obtain.

Tyrrhenoi
09-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Is the poll visible? It's the first time I have made one :)

Korbis
09-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Oh, crap. Didnīt saw it.

I voted second option. Should be restricted to intra european inmigration.

Inese
09-16-2010, 10:43 AM
No dual nationality is wrong!! You cant play on two marriages, you know?? You can be loyal to one country but not to two. People with double nationality want the advantages of two countrys and this is unfair and not true loyality.

poiuytrewq0987
09-16-2010, 10:50 AM
No dual nationality is wrong!! You cant play on two marriages, you know?? You can be loyal to one country but not to two. People with double nationality want the advantages of two countrys and this is unfair and not true loyality.

Kind of like how you keep switching from Germany to Latvia and vice versa? ;)

Sol Invictus
09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah it has it's perks. Like.. when the revolution in the states breaks out I can move across the border as a citizen without having to slip under the bridge in camoflage under cover of night.

Wyn
09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
You can be loyal to one country but not to two.

A lot of people would probably disagree with this. I'd say you could, in fact. I think it would be perfectly possible for someone with one German parent and one Swedish parent to feel equally loyal to both, just as an example.

poiuytrewq0987
09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
I have American citizenship and I don't intend to drop it for citizenship from one of the ex-Yugoslav states. It's simply not worth it as having a Serbian citizenship would be much less beneficial than having American citizenship (unless I want to travel to Russia visa-free :p). Until Yugoslavia is restored and I can take Yugoslavian citizenship, I won't bother acquiring another citizenship.

Concerning dual citizenship, I don't mind as long it is kept to just two (holding more than two citizenship is a bit too much). Holding a citizenship these days is less about loyalty and more about convenience anyhow.

Equinox
09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
It is something I have thought about, especially that given my own personal conditions I may be leaving my country of residence to that of my partner.

From the political perspective of an individual, it would be beneficial to have as many citizenships as possible. Given the very nature of international relations, it seems that one country is always at the throat of another. This has a wave effect on all countries associated with them. Having the right passport in the right situation is of great advantage.

Given what I have written above, it follows that it is a possibility that the two countries of which you hold citizenship might be involved in a conflict, whether of political of military nature.

Gamera
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Well I am entitled up to 6 citizenships as far as I know: Argentinian, Peruvian, Italian, Croatian and... Israeli I think, or even the Spanish one if I could find my great grandmother's birth certificate. Most of them, of course, because of jus sanguinis. My half sister, is entitled to all those plus the Polish one I think.

I currently only have the Argentinian one, and my family has applied for the Italian one like 2 years ago, and we are still waiting for the letter from the embassy. Of course, I was younger then and didn't mind much or played a role in that decision, but I don't think it should upset anyone. The ancestry we identify ourselves the most with, is indeed the Italian one, followed by the Croatian.

Groenewolf
09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I know some fine examples:

a Moroccan man with Marroccan/...... nationality who has a high function in your gouvernment.

What if king Mohammed would ask him a favor, who undermines your country? He must obey him as a national!

In said hypothetical situation he should of course loose his other nationality and is send to Morocco, the country he feels the most stronger loyalty to.:coffee:

Sahson
09-16-2010, 03:55 PM
In Austria, you are either Austrian, or Nothing!! However in Snevska, you are allowed dual citizenship. :)

Vasconcelos
09-16-2010, 04:01 PM
If I end up moving to another (European) country or Canada for professional reasons, which I might depending on the profile I choose later on on my degree, I will seriously consider it, assuming the country is in good shape for me and my family to live in.

The Lawspeaker
09-21-2010, 12:11 AM
No. You can't be a member of two communities.
It's THAT simple.

Svipdag
09-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Basically, multiple citizenship,or world citizenship, is a Marxist notion. This is why the Communist anthem was the "Internationale" . Communism was supposed to unite the workers of the WORLD. Allegiance was supposed to be first to the Communist Party and then to any national state.

The Marxist version of multiple citizenship is merely the extreme example. It throws into question the issue of the meaning of citizenship. What is a citizen ? Is he merely one who holds a country's passport ? Or is he one who accepts the obligations incumbent on a citizen and participates in its society and government ?

Is his loyalty to the country merely pro forma, like that of a president who refuses to salute the flag, disdains the national anthem and ignores the Constitution of the country,or does it represent a deeply-felt personal conviction .If the latter, can one be truly loyal to more than one country ?
Does not divided loyalty imply a divided heart ? Or worse, insincerity and superficiality ?

How can one claim allegiance to more than one country and not be a hypocrite ?

Beorn
09-21-2010, 12:58 AM
A lot of people would probably disagree with this. I'd say you could, in fact. I think it would be perfectly possible for someone with one German parent and one Swedish parent to feel equally loyal to both, just as an example.

Until a war broke out, or some other loyalty dividing circumstance.

The Lawspeaker
09-21-2010, 01:04 AM
That's exactly why, even if I would leave the country, I would never accept foreign citizenship. How remote the chance would be and however befriended they might be with the Netherlands, there is always the remote chance that the Netherlands and that country could face off on the field of battle. And I would never like to take up arms against my own kin because I was so stupid to accept foreign citizenship.

So being clever - I won't. Foreign residency ? Yes. Citizenship ? No.

Osweo
09-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Idealists... Reality will always be more complex than your principles. People have divided loyalties. They even have divided personalities sometimes!

WORK AROUND reality, don't try to deny it.

Wyn
09-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Until a war broke out, or some other loyalty dividing circumstance.

A person wouldn't necessarily pick.

I think denying dual loyalties is a hard thing to do. If a person told you they had 2 loyalties, would you turn round and say "no, you don't"? :shrug:

Beorn
09-21-2010, 01:22 AM
I think denying dual loyalties is a hard thing to do. If a person told you they had 2 loyalties, would you turn round and say "no, you don't"? :shrug:

Depends on the loyalties.

Harcos
09-21-2010, 01:43 AM
I have both Finnish and Swedish citizenship, I however want to denounce the latter as I'm not a Swede, I merely have it because I was born here. Citizenship should only be entitled to people who are part of the nations ethnicity. Either you have one citizenship, or you have none, in my opinion.

In short, no I am not for it.

Tyrrhenoi
09-21-2010, 04:43 AM
How remote the chance would be and however befriended they might be with the Netherlands, there is always the remote chance that the Netherlands and that country could face off on the field of battle. And I would never like to take up arms against my own kin because I was so stupid to accept foreign citizenship.

In some occasions you can't reject citizenship/nationality - in the Italian law - the nationality of a subject can't be taken away.

In the situation of war - between countries within the E.U. - chances are almost nonexistant. If the Netherlands goes to war with Italy - I would fight with the Dutch, my loyalty goes to the head of state of the Netherlands, Queen Beatrix

It's more easy to say - because I know this will never happen :wink

Radojica
09-21-2010, 05:41 AM
On the Balkans, it is allowed to have dual citizenship. A lot of people I know have Croatian and Serbian citizenship/passports (those are the cases based on where they were born, but are Serbs by ethnicity), or even Serbian-Bosnian one (same case). As the matter of fact, Hungary is going to allow that too. I could use it only for beneficial reasons, but that will not mean I am betraying Serbia (my grandmother was Hungarian, but the rest of my ancestors were Serbs/Montenegrins which means I could obtain Montenegrin citizenship too). As far as I know, there's a lot of countries in the world which are allowing dual citizenship for many reasons. You are what you feel you are, end of story. Another citizenship could bring you only good if you think it can, I don't see the problem with that.

Austin
09-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Considering it is easy enough to purchase loyalty and considering that reality will never change..... I'd say as long as they are European and both parents are verified European then I wouldn't have a problem with it. I see being European racially as more important than national loyalty. I wouldn't mind if all the West was merged into a racially based empire to be honest and I'd support whoever could bring that to be.

Radojica
09-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Considering it is easy enough to purchase loyalty and considering that reality will never change..... I'd say as long as they are European and both parents are verified European then I wouldn't have a problem with it. I see being European racially as more important than national loyalty. I wouldn't mind if all the West was merged into a racially based empire to be honest and I'd support whoever could bring that to be.

So, the West (Western Europe/civilization you mean here, I presume) is different that Eastern Europe in racial therms? If so, man, you are hilarious with your racially theories xD

Aramis
09-21-2010, 07:59 AM
I have dual citizenship. Works perfectly fine for me.

Equinox
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
In Austria, you are either Austrian, or Nothing!!

This is incorrect.

Foreign nationals can have dual citizenship if they are of exceptional calibre. I have learned of university lecturers often holding Austrian citizenship in conjunction with citizenship from another country.

More information. (http://www.wien.gv.at/english/administration/civilstatus/citizenship/discretion.html)

Crossbow
09-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Having several nationalities is like doing the card-trick.

Sahson
09-21-2010, 05:04 PM
This is incorrect.

Foreign nationals can have dual citizenship if they are of exceptional calibre. I have learned of university lecturers often holding Austrian citizenship in conjunction with citizenship from another country.

More information. (http://www.wien.gv.at/english/administration/civilstatus/citizenship/discretion.html)

Try doing it the other way round. My uncle is Austrian, he said he would have to renounce his Austrian passport for an American one.

Osweo
09-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Try doing it the other way round. My uncle is Austrian, he said he would have to renounce his Austrian passport for an American one.
How will the Austrian government even find out about it though? Is it then a crime to take foreign citizenship? How on Earth would they go about taking Austrian citizenship from him in this scenario? Is it automatically effective? Weird! :p

I personally have a certain little arrangement with that rebel state occupying most of the island nextdoor. You know, just in case. ;)

Beorn
09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
I see being European racially as more important than national loyalty. I wouldn't mind if all the West was merged into a racially based empire to be honest and I'd support whoever could bring that to be.

Sometimes you WN Yanks say the most funniest things.

safinator
03-12-2014, 05:55 PM
A remote theoretical situation.

If there is a conflict between the two countries where a person claims citizenship, which do they support? Either will call him a traitor for choosing to support the other.

"No man can serve two masters."

LouisFerdinand
02-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Christopher O'Neill is an American-British financier. He holds dual American and British citizenship. He married Princess Madeleine, the daughter of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. Christopher declined to hold Swedish citizenship.
:usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2:

Wanderer
09-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Idealists... Reality will always be more complex than your principles. People have divided loyalties. They even have divided personalities sometimes!

WORK AROUND reality, don't try to deny it.
Very true. Divided loyalties do exist. It's human nature. Divided loyalties are simply a reality, whether one's worldview permits such a thing or not.

At the same time, I also get the sense that there's a rising tide people with NO loyalty to anything, which is deeply problematic. At least one with a divided loyalty has some actual sense of loyalty.

Whether a divided loyalty is problematic depends on the circumstances. If a situation arises where the two loyalties are in conflict, then it is indeed a problem.

Wanderer
09-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Personally, I can't say I would never acquire another citizenship, although I have no immediate plans to do so. Theoretically, it could be in my personal interests to do so. It could enable me to live abroad, or gain other perks. But I love America most of all.

Finnish Swede
09-02-2017, 01:28 PM
I have dual nationality (Sweden by dad and Finland by my mom). It's not any kind of game breaker for me; more like nice mental thing (showing my roots).

I do't go outside of Europe as the question will come even more difficult by then.
But what comes to nationality or dual nationality here in Europe...unfortunately the laws are not similar in every European countries.īSome European countries laws simply do not recognize the case that person has another/dual nationality. They keep him/her just a similar person as all their citizens.

So the first step should be to deny that option from those kind of people totally (putting them to choose: apply a new citizenship and same time given up from the old one or not to apply the new at all). Just because those people might cause very troublesome law cases if for example that kind of family will deforce one day, or even worse...to whom those people are expected to be loyalty (100%) in crises or to whom behalf to spy/work etc.? Sorry as I do not go any deeper on that matter.

KMack
09-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Personally, I can't say I would never acquire another citizenship, although I have no immediate plans to do so. Theoretically, it could be in my personal interests to do so. It could enable me to live abroad, or gain other perks. But I love America most of all.

You can live abroad and have legally residency there while maintaining USA citizenship and being granted another from the other country. Lots of people do it.

JohnSmith
09-02-2017, 01:38 PM
No, you must have an allegiance to one country.

N1019
09-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Dual citizenship is very common in libtard-infested countries like Australia, Canada and throughout Europe. In some cases it could be a problem.

The real issue here is that we hand out citizenship to immigrants far too easily. The matter of dual citizenship, and whether the dual allegiance is appropriate or presents a potential conflict of interest, should be considered as part of the application process for citizenship - a process which needs to be tightened.

Dandelion
09-02-2017, 01:51 PM
I am against it, but it's legal in most Western countries.

crazyladybutterfly
09-02-2017, 01:52 PM
who the hell upvotes threads created when i was still growing up ? lol

Dandelion
09-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Dual citizenship is very common in libtard-infested countries like Australia, Canada and throughout Europe. In some cases it could be a problem.

The real issue here is that we hand out citizenship to immigrants far too easily. The matter of dual citizenship, and whether the dual allegiance is appropriate or presents a potential conflict of interest, should be considered as part of the application process for citizenship - a process which needs to be tightened.

The US neither take a stance against dual citizenship and therefore it's legal there. In Japan for instance it's impossible to have both the Japanese as another citizenship at the same time. No such situation in the US.

Wanderer
09-02-2017, 01:53 PM
You can live abroad and have legally residency there while maintaining USA citizenship and being granted another from the other country. Lots of people do it.
Well, of course you CAN - if there's a legal avenue for you to do so. Probably the easiest way for me to spend some time in the EU would be by acquiring Italian citizenship.

Wanderer
09-02-2017, 01:56 PM
who the hell upvotes threads created when i was still growing up ? lol

I look through old threads to find something interesting to talk about. The endless "do these Sicilians look more like my ass or tits?" gets really fucking boring.

KMack
09-02-2017, 01:57 PM

crazyladybutterfly
09-02-2017, 01:58 PM
I look through old threads to find something interesting to talk about. The endless "do these Sicilians look more like my ass or tits?" gets really fucking boring.

a lot of time has passed and people are still the fucking same

crazyladybutterfly
09-02-2017, 01:58 PM
i am wondering about the discussions on the first threads of apricity , were they much different from that of stormfront

Dandelion
09-02-2017, 02:11 PM
i am wondering about the discussions on the first threads of apricity , were they much different from that of stormfront

Well, ironically such ideology attracts mainly Southern European wogs. :p Eventually even MENA edgelords. ;)

Iloko
12-02-2017, 08:27 PM
More admirable to stay loyal to one country alone!

Bobby Martnen
02-28-2018, 06:22 AM
I have multiple citizenships.

Kriptc06
12-17-2022, 07:56 PM
bringing this back from the pits of hell.
bumper

monsieur
02-09-2023, 04:12 AM
Yes.
I'd love to have british and polishj citizenship :). Maybe someday in the future... ;p