PDA

View Full Version : Jay Alexander on Finland

The Ripper
09-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I have no idea who this Jay Alexander person is, but he's funny!

GNnyVAvEa64

That thing about Finnish sounding like a "weird Italian", my parents were once mistaken for Italians in France when they spoke Finnish. :D

Don Brick
09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah I´ve seen this one before and I have to say that Jay has a great Finnish accent. I mean unusually good. He could probably pick up the language in a matter of months.

The Ripper
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah I´ve seen this one before and I have to say that Jay has a great Finnish accent. I mean unusually good. He could probably pick up the language in a matter of months.

I don't know about the grammar, that could be tricky, but his pronounciation is very good. After having met several Americans and Englishmen who've lived in Finland for over a decade and who understand and speak the language, I used to believe that no Anglo could ever really learn to pronounce Finnish, seems I was wrong.

Motörhead Remember Me
09-17-2010, 06:38 AM
I used to believe that no Anglo could ever really learn to pronounce Finnish, seems I was wrong.

Forgott about Neil Hardwick?

I have met two English persons who both spoke absolutely fantastic Finnish. Apparently learning Finnish well also leads to another phenomena: I met this Englishman in Taipei and I "picked" him out immediately from the crowd since at first I thought he was Finnish because of his obvious Finnish strata when he spoke English. He had lived in Finland for 20 years.
The other one was a woman I met in Thailand who had also been living for a long time in Finland. Believe it or not, a group of English people, as they heard she was speaking a foreign language beside this funny accent English, spoke slowly to her thinking she was a foreigner, until she told them where she was born... It took her a while to shake of this Finnish accent but then her English was as native as theirs.