PDA

View Full Version : The Magyars vs Old Bulgarians: Who was more successful?

poiuytrewq0987
10-02-2016, 08:23 PM
In the sense of imparting one's language, the Magyars probably accomplished this better as there's not much of a trace of whatever language the proto-Bulgarian spoke before becoming Slavicized. There's probably a few loanwords too, but not much beyond that. All the names created in the two Bulgarian Empires have a Slavic etymological root than Turkic. What's also interesting is the conversion of some older toponyms like Pulpudeva to Plovdiv is that the name is from Thracian roots than Greek. However, if in the sense of being a successful defender against the Ottomans, the Magyars probably did better since the medieval Bulgarians were divided the time the Ottoman Turks invaded and collapsed fairly quickly. They held on much longer and could get under Austria's protection once the Turks proved to be too much to handle alone. This allowed them to escape the Turkish orientalism much sooner and develop along European lines.

Szegedist
10-05-2016, 07:20 AM
Bulgarians speak a Slavic language, not at all related to Turkic Bulgar. Hungarians speak Hungarian.
Hungarians identify with the Magyar tribes, Bulgarians do not identify with the Bulgars...

so Magyars/Hungarians were 10000000 times more successful.

Dunai
10-22-2016, 09:10 AM
I once had a discussion with an educated Bulgarian about how he and his people relate to their Old Bulgar ancestors, and while I was pointing out to him that contrary to Old Bulgars, who abandoned their language, we Magyars were the only Eastern population to preserve our language in the heart of Europe, I could see his eyes getting teary and he confessed that to this day he cannot comprehend why his ancestors weren't as proud as the Magyars to stick to their language. There was much regret in him. I don't know how representative would him be to rest of Bulgarians, as I haven't had the chance to discuss with too many about such a deep topic, but Magyars are winners of history from this point of view: preserving the archaic language, plus folk customs and our great Eastern wisdom.

Blondie
11-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Hungarians, no question:

https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magyar_kalandoz%C3%A1sok#/media/File:Kalandozasok.jpg

Ayetooey
11-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Magyars, as modern day Hungarians are central European genetically yet they were assimilated so efficiently by the Magyars they hold onto the eastern languages and customs, that's quite impressive. The proto Turkic Bulgurs got fucked by Slavs and modern Slavic Bulgarians have nothing to do with these Turkic Bulgurs.