PDA

View Full Version : Got my yDNA results, I am very confused! Help..

Willem
09-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Hello I need some help with my yDNA results.

Phenotypically, I look completely European (I am Dutch) but my ancestry results said I have the E1b1a8a haplogroup. This is a Nigerian gene.:confused: How is this possible if I have blond hair and blue eyes?

Ibericus
09-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Phenotypically, I look completely European (I am Dutch) but my ancestry results said I have the E1b1a8a haplogroup. This is a Nigerian gene.:confused: How is this possible if I have blond hair and blue eyes?
Surely from black slave from the colonies. After 200 years you can already look normal dutch. Btw what is your autosomal ancestry percentages ?

Willem
09-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Surely from black slave from the colonies from. After 200 years you can already look normal dutch

I actually live in Europe. The only non-Dutch ancestry I am aware of is French Huguenot.

Does this mean I am part black? :confused:

what is your autosomal ancestry percentages ?

98% Europe
1% Asia
1% Africa

poiuytrewq0987
09-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Did you use 23andme or something else?

Willem
09-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Did you use 23andme or something else?

Yes

Is this a mistake you think? It is so weird for me to have a Nigerian haplogroup :confused:

Ibericus
09-17-2010, 10:02 PM
I actually live in Europe. The only non-Dutch ancestry I am aware of is French Huguenot.

98% Europe
1% Asia
1% Africa
Send your raw data to Dr. McDonalds to see if this 1% african is just noise or its underestimated for african. Thoug this E3a could have entered in very ancient times.

poiuytrewq0987
09-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Surely from black slave from the colonies. After 200 years you can already look normal dutch. Btw what is your autosomal ancestry percentages ?

I wouldn't rule this out.

Loki
09-17-2010, 10:08 PM

Hi Willem, and welcome to the forum.

It is very possible to have physical traits that look 100% European, even blond/blue as you say, and have some genes of ancestors way back some hundreds of years ago. Improbable but there certainly are people like that in European countries that had colonies some centuries ago. The genes filter through the generations, becoming phenotypically indistinguishable from the surrounding population, yet still carrying this gene marker.

Willem
09-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Send your raw data to Dr. McDonalds to see if this 1% african is just noise or its underestimated for african. Thoug this E3a could have entered in very ancient times.

How do I send it to him? What do you mean by 'in very ancient times'? Has it been found elsewhere in Europe?

Loki
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes

Is this a mistake you think? It is so weird for me to have a Nigerian haplogroup :confused:

It may very well be a mistake, too. The Netherlands did not have influence in Nigeria as far as I know. If I were you, I'd get a second opinion. It's possible they've mixed up the results.

Curtis24
09-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Its also possible that genetics is a new and evolving field, and thus frequently makes misinterprations... *cough cough*

Grumpy Cat
09-17-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd say the 1% African 1% Asian is noise.

Although McDonald's results were weird for me, he plotted me genetically closest to the Dutch, I have no Dutch in me (that I know of).

Korbis
09-17-2010, 10:13 PM
This guy looks white and even germanic, and have, between others black ancestry.

http://www.seriesblog.es/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/1436119560_8db1fc3bd7_o.jpg

I wouldn´t worry too much. Himmler was half mongoloid and they let him join the party. Its not a shame.

Like someone said if you look and behave white ,you´re white.

Ibericus
09-17-2010, 10:20 PM
This guy looks white and even germanic, and have, between others black ancestry.

I wouldn´t worry too much. Himmler was half mongoloid and they let him join the party. Its not a shame.

hmm. This guy doesnt looke white at all. From the very hard thick hair not proper of white race to his nose, etc. Btw this man would score about more than 10-20% african if he did a DNA test.

Grumpy Cat
09-17-2010, 10:21 PM
hmm. This guy doesnt looke white at all. From the very hard thick hair not proper of white race to his nose, etc. Btw this man would score about more than 10-20% african if he did a DNA test.

:lol: I have hair like his, and I am 100% European descent.

Ibericus
09-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Im not saying europeans can't have very thick hair, but take a close look to that mans hair, it is not normal in whites and it surely comes from his black ancestry.

Korbis
09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Lot of mediterraneans have that hair. That statement was dangerous.

The negro traits of Wenworth Miller are very very subtle, he passed for white for the whole world until that information came to light.

Pallantides
09-17-2010, 10:29 PM

He was not half mongoloid...

Ibericus
09-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Lot of mediterraneans have that hair. That statement was dangerous.
Lots ? Are you fucking kiddin me ! He has negroid hair. No meditarraneans have this hair. This man doesnt look full white.

The negro traits of Wenworth Miller are very very subtle, he passed for white for the whole world until that information came to light.
Maybe average people can't see this subtle traits, but in this forum im sure most people can see it

Grumpy Cat
09-17-2010, 10:36 PM
^^^ Many people have said I don't look like I'm full white, and I was actually banned from a forum because of it, but 23andme proves otherwise.

Willem
It may very well be a mistake, too. The Netherlands did not have influence in Nigeria as far as I know. If I were you, I'd get a second opinion. It's possible they've mixed up the results.

There were some Surinamese people (many were black) here during the Dutch Golden Age, some might have assimilated with the local population I think if this isn't a mistake?

I took the test mainly for health info but was surprised at the yDNA result! This is how I look like:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2hrz4vs.jpg

Korbis
He was not half mongoloid...

Well, an ancestor then, who cares. But he looked like the textbook illustration of a slimy jew or a mongrel of some kind. So far from the ideal of the aryan man as Whoopi Goldberg.

Gamera
09-17-2010, 10:37 PM
The only non-white trait that Miller has and that is noticeable, is his hair indeed. When he was pretty much completely shaved on Prison Break, no one thought he would be part black.

Electronic God-Man
09-17-2010, 10:37 PM
At any rate, here's a map of the distribution of E1b1a in Africa:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Distribution_of_haplogroup_e1b1a_in_Rosa_2007.jpg

Willem
09-17-2010, 10:42 PM
At any rate, here's a map of the distribution of E1b1a in Africa:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Distribution_of_haplogroup_e1b1a_in_Rosa_2007.jpg

It's interesting how they are able to find this all out from spit! :)

Guapo
09-17-2010, 10:44 PM
There were some Surinamese people (many were black) here during the Dutch Golden Age, some might have assimilated with the local population I think if this isn't a mistake?

I took the test mainly for health info but was surprised at the yDNA result! This is how I look like:

I thought you were Asega hiding but that's not him in the pic.

Willem
09-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry :confused:

Guapo
09-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry :confused:

Asega, he is a member here from Never neverland.Btw, you look white, Faelish.

Pallantides
Well, an ancestor then, who cares. But he looked like the textbook illustration of a slimy jew or a mongrel of some kind. So far from the ideal of the aryan man as Whoopi Goldberg.
I think Himmler was fully European

Here is an actor from Rogaland in south western Norway, who look a bit similar to Himmler:
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/TV2/archive/00724/c_sar_724122i.jpghttp://idalou.orgdot.no/pub/idalou/images/pb.bussen1_big.jpg

My doctor who is from western Norway also looks like Himmler.:D

Grumpy Cat
Ummm don't mean to embarass you, but... I think you are... hot. :D

Willem
09-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Asega, he is a member here from Never neverland.Btw, you look white, Faelish.

That's exactly why I am so surprised myself!

Ummm don't mean to embarass you, but... I think you are... hot. :D

Thank you :)

Guapo
09-18-2010, 12:10 AM
That's exactly why I am so surprised myself!

Dunno, if you're 9 plus inches down there then maybe it's true?

Vasconcelos
09-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Dunno, if you're 9 plus inches down there then maybe it's true?
lol

And mate, don't worry about the results, even if they were really accurate, you're as white as it gets.
And welcome aboard, btw.

la bombe
09-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Your yDNA alone doesn't say much about your overall ancestry, it could be an ancient connection. Perhaps you have some very distant admix based on your results but obviously you're fully European, so it really doesn't matter.

Mordid
09-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Oh no, you're related to Hitler. :D

poiuytrewq0987
09-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Oh no, you're related to Hitler. :D

Not quite. If Hitler belonged to the E3b branch then I'd presume he belonged to the E1b1b1a (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E1b1b1a#Early_migration_from_the_Middle_East_to_Eu rope)branch like me since that haplogroup is very common in the Balkans including Austria.

Charles Martel
09-18-2010, 01:23 AM
if you are interested

Here is his email address:

mcdonald@scs.uiuc.edu

Send this guy your raw data. Y-DNA is not important it just means your very distant ancestor might have been of African origins. Some people might have African or Asian hgs and score 100% European because it depends mostly on autsomes. Your white and of European origins. Y-DNA means nothing in the long run especially when it has become outbred.

Curtis24
09-18-2010, 01:41 AM

...and you accuse me of mis-seeing black ancestry?

jerney
09-18-2010, 02:37 AM
I'd say the 1% African 1% Asian is noise.

Although McDonald's results were weird for me, he plotted me genetically closest to the Dutch, I have no Dutch in me (that I know of).

If he took the 23andme test I would say that does indicate something foreign. 23andme seems to actually underestimate Asian or African scores for a lot of people, and very few Europeans show African ancestry so I'd be more inclined to say it indicates some real African and/or Asian ancestry

If you have a purely African y-dna haplogroup and your autosomal test is showing minor African ancestry then I'd say there's a good chance you probably had an African ancestor somewhere down the line

Jack B
09-18-2010, 02:46 AM
I'll get the pitchforks

Electronic God-Man
09-18-2010, 03:00 AM
And continuing with what jerney said about how 23andme underrates African ancestry...

They also often give Africans a little Asian score as well, for some reason. So maybe that's saying 2% African, which we could expand out to 2-4% African given 23andme's well-known tendency of underrating African ancestry. That'd be about a great-great-great-grandfather who was African (1/32), which given your age I would place as being born sometime in the time-frame of 1800-1850.

Now with just a little digging into some records you could probably confirm or refute this hypothesis and if this is actually your direct paternal line which is giving you the African haplotype you will have a much easier time of it.

:D :D :D

Ibericus
09-18-2010, 12:19 PM
...and you accuse me of mis-seeing black ancestry?
Because Miller has actual black ancestry (and recent, his father is mulatto) while you are trying to detect black features in full europeans.

Willem
09-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I received an e-mail today from 23andMe telling me the yDNA portion of my results had been accidentally mixed up with the results of an African American user due to a glitch. :mad: They offered me a refund but still.. :shakefist

They updated my new haplogroup to I1c, but how am I supposed to trust them?

la bombe
09-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I received an e-mail today from 23andMe telling me the yDNA portion of my results had been accidentally mixed up with the results of an African American user due to a glitch. :mad: They offered me a refund but still.. :shakefist

Mistakes happen, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say just take the refund and enjoy.

Ibericus
09-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Congrats. Well your yDNA I1c is very common in Dutch people. If you still don't trust them, you have your raw data downloadable and there are sofware programs that can tell your haplogroup based on your raw data.

Radojica
09-21-2010, 07:44 PM

This is a bullshit. Just because he has wide nose?

http://www.textually.org/tv/archives/images/set3/prison-break-subdivision.jpg

Look from his nose from profile view.

If he has between 10 and 20% of African genes I am a Santa Claus :rolleyes:

Ibericus
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM

Actually his father is a MULATTO (african-american, jamaican and Euro mix)

Grey
09-21-2010, 08:47 PM

Been browsing Skadi, have you? Germanics are not some elite racial group who are "whiter" than other Europeans. As a Spaniard, you should know better. :wink

Murphy
09-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Lol@thefreakoutoverpossiblenegroancestry.

The Lawspeaker
09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I need to look it up but Dutch were indeed active in Africa. But not in Nigeria as far as I know but that the Dutch Gold Coast (the Trans-Atlantic slave trade) was situating in neighbouring Ghana and extending a bit into modern day Nigeria.

Edit: I am glad to hear that they messed it up. Although it's not very good for your trust in them.. :thumbs up

Radojica
09-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Actually his father is a MULATTO (african-american, jamaican and Euro mix)

:chin:

what do you want for Christmas then :santa?

:swl

Willem
09-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Lol@thefreakoutoverpossiblenegroancestry.

I felt like a black man for a couple of days, strange feeling :D

Grumpy Cat
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM

pRc3AAU0qok

Turkophagos
09-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Sup nigga

Guapo
09-21-2010, 11:50 PM

All whiteys do when they smoke pot.

Charles Martel
09-22-2010, 02:10 AM
From African to a Viking congrats:)

Allenson
09-22-2010, 05:25 PM

Heh, glad you got it sorted out. I'd be a little weirded out with a result like that too.

The labs make mistakes from time to time, I gather.

As for the dude from Prison Break. There're certainly some Negroid traits visible in his phenotype. I never liked the show very much but my wife watched it regularly. I even remember saying to her that that fellow looks part black. She didn't buy it until details of his background got out. Hah! I was right all along. ;)

Gamera
09-23-2010, 02:59 AM

You got a free DNA test wit that refund dude, I'd be happy if i was you, those are freaking expensive.

Wölfin
09-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Glad things got cleared up, but I thought I'd explain a little something about genes for you:

Genes are a funny thing. I have a cousin who is a quadroon (3/4 European 1/4 subsaharan african). He has blond hair and blue eyes. I never even knew he was a quadroon until recently, because he was born before me and the mother divorced from the mulatto father, before marrying an anglo Canadian and having a second child with him.

But I digress, point is genetic data is inherited 50% from each parent. Even when someone who is blond and blue-eyed has a child with someone with brown hair and brown eyes (even if they are from a different race!) the child will still carry the blond hair gene and the blue eye gene, even if it doesn't show on the "surface". This means that if this child in turn has children with someone who is blond hair and blue eyed, the chances of this new child having blond hair and blue eyes, not only exists, but is higher too. And as long as these descendants keep having children with people who have blond hair and blue eyes, the chances of the child having a blond hair, blue eyed phenotype increases with each new generation to the point where as loki said, the original mixture is irrelevant from a phenotypical point of view, and even a genetic one, the only trace existing down the line being the associated marker. This point can often come even from only the 4th generation.

Also with multigenerational mixes, there is such a thing known as "genetic recombination". Meaning, that if for example a mulatto has a child with a European, the child will be at least 50% European for sure, and normally should have an extra 25% European, so a total of 75% European and only 25% African. But because of genetic recombination, the child could easily end up with even more European genes or a bit less tha 75%. This factor by the way, when not constant (as it usually is), is completely random, and there is no such thing as "dominance" of traits etc. etc. Hence the diversity of Latin America, the caribbean etc, and African Americans.

Remember the key factors; its all about how the genes match up, how they decompose and recombine.

kaliyuga
10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
This is fascinating stuff. I am definitely going get my dna analysed. From ancestral research I know where I come from for the past 200 years, but dna takes me way back. Ain't science wonderful?

Foxy
10-21-2010, 09:55 AM

ahahahahahaha!! Don't worry, if you are blonde and blue eyed I care a fuckof your haplogroup... but I would pay to see your face while you were reading the result. Just for information, how did you make the test? Is it free or have you to pay? And where have you to go and what ask for?

Foxy
10-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Don't make me laugh, I see many people with those hair in the whole Southern Europe. Said by a Spaniard it is masochistic.

This is how I look like:

Cute, cute! :wink Continue this way.... if the whole Africa looked this way I was already living there :P

lei.talk
10-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by DragonRouge http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=268638#post268638)
Many people have said I don't look like I'm full white,
and I was actually banned from a forum because of it,
but 23andme proves otherwise.

Its also possible that genetics is a new and evolving field,
and thus frequently makes misinterprations... *cough cough*

Ibericus
10-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Don't make me laugh, I see many people with those hair in the whole Southern Europe. Said by a Spaniard it is masochistic.
I was talking about that Worthmiller actor, not the Dutch guy. He has a black father didn't you know ? He has negroid hair. You don't find this hair in all of Europe

Aviane
10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't rule this out.

Neither would I if I was him but I'm sure still think he will sort it out.

Hi Willem, and welcome to the forum.

It is very possible to have physical traits that look 100% European, even blond/blue as you say, and have some genes of ancestors way back some hundreds of years ago. Improbable but there certainly are people like that in European countries that had colonies some centuries ago. The genes filter through the generations, becoming phenotypically indistinguishable from the surrounding population, yet still carrying this gene marker.

This reminds me of some people who have had non-European ancestors but still they appear or look very European but yes the genes when mixed further back do eventually waterdown altogether.

Indeed he does look actually Germanic apart from his hair type, I could see him as an exotic person from Germany or if not actually from The Netherlands which would be more fitting.

That's you see if you behave and look like your part then you will be automatically be it.

Yep there is people with almost very similar hair type to his and I seen some people hear with that type also.

^^^ Many people have said I don't look like I'm full white, and I was actually banned from a forum because of it, but 23andme proves otherwise.

Well I'm sure you're comfortable here as you are now are.

Lots ? Are you fucking kiddin me ! He has negroid hair. No meditarraneans have this hair. This man doesnt look full white.

Maybe average people can't see this subtle traits, but in this forum im sure most people can see it

Nah, some here are right there are Mediterraneans with that kind of hair aleast some for what I've seen on my travels (from Italy or Greece especially Greece more so), it does exsist still.

That could explain why a tiny part of your ancestry came about.

From your picture you look very very European otherwise.

Yep tell me about probably be the closest anyone can get with this.

A wide nose doesn't really always suggest anything about having African ancestry because actually you could just as well find that there's Africans with straight or less wide noses apart from being snub nosed.

:chin:

what do you want for Christmas then :santa?

:swl

He probably wants so kind of special surprise but if that's not enough for him then I don't know what we could say to him or just put him in the recycle bin. :D

Cute, cute! :wink Continue this way.... if the whole Africa looked this way I was already living there :P

It's funny then coming from this guy because he probably just doesn't like the fact that anyone who is suggested to have curly hair, it really boggs my mind sometimes when some people are like this.

Anyway there should be no big deal made out of it since it not completely unusal for someone to have hair like this.

By the way I will let this get back on topic. :cool:

The Ripper
10-21-2010, 03:32 PM
In the Prison Break series I didn't notice it, but look at this picture:

http://gossip.elliottback.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/went-worth-miller.jpg

Now that we know his ancestry, I think we can connect the dots. Its inconsequential, but I was surprised upon learning of his Negroid admixture.

Aviane
10-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I was myself as surprised as you where but you can see some parts that detect it.

Ibericus
10-21-2010, 05:00 PM
It's funny then coming from this guy because he probably just doesn't like the fact that anyone who is suggested to have curly hair, it really boggs my mind sometimes when some people are like this.
Actually he has not curly hair, but negroid hair , because his father is mulatto. If you think southern europeans are half negroid, that's not surprising to me.

Aviane
10-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Actually he has not curly hair, but negroid hair , because his father is mulatto. If you think southern europeans are half negroid, that's not surprising to me.

I've already figured that out and nope Southern Europeans aren't half negroids so I don't know where you got that from.

Gamera
10-21-2010, 05:37 PM
In the Prison Break series I didn't notice it, but look at this picture:

Now that we know his ancestry, I think we can connect the dots. Its inconsequential, but I was surprised upon learning of his Negroid admixture.

I disagree, pictures can be tricky.

If you and I and most people didn't notice it at the series where you can see him in tons of different angles, then in person you wouldn't notice it either unless he told you.

Ibericus
10-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I've already figured that out and nope Southern Europeans aren't half negroids so I don't know where you got that from.
Really ? :

This reminds me of some people who have had non-European ancestors but still they appear or look very European but yes the genes when mixed further back do eventually waterdown altogether.

Nah, some here are right there are Mediterraneans with that kind of hair aleast some for what I've seen on my travels (from Italy or Greece especially Greece more so), it does exsist still.

Guapo
10-22-2010, 04:08 AM
Soooo, you're not a nigger after all?

Alessio
02-14-2015, 05:17 PM
:lmao

98% Europe
1% Asia
1% Africa

Peterski
02-15-2015, 03:35 PM
98% Europe
1% Asia
1% Africa

So you are 1/100 Sub-Saharan African.

Let's see how many generations ago could this admixture penetrate:

you
2 parents
4 grandparents
8 great-grandparents
16 gg-g
32 ggg-g
64 gggg-g
128 ggggg-g

One of your great-great-great-great-great grandfathers could be 100% Sub-Saharan.

And your Y-DNA haplogroup happens to come from him.

When could that be?

Depends how many years per each generation we accept. 25 or 30 ???

Äijä
02-15-2015, 03:42 PM
So you are 1/100 Sub-Saharan African.

Let's see how many generations ago could this admixture penetrate:

you
2 parents
4 grandparents
8 great-grandparents
16 gg-g
32 ggg-g;)
64 gggg-g
128 ggggg-g

One of your great-great-great-great-great grandfathers could be 100% Sub-Saharan.

And your Y-DNA haplogroup happens to come from him.

When could that be? Depends how many years per generation we accept. 25 or 30 ???

I am not that drunk, you are still here, come back to the other thread.;)

KarenMilicaV
05-24-2015, 02:17 PM
German, french, and english traits...