PDA

View Full Version : Which modern populations do you think were closest in appearance to ancient Canaanites?

Sikeliot
10-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Hebrews, Phoenicians, Edomites, Moabites etc.

Selurong
10-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Probably the Lebanese since Lebanon was the homeland of the Phoenicians.

Grab the Gauge
10-06-2016, 08:51 PM
French

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/halifaxaction/pol.jpg

Newman
10-06-2016, 08:54 PM
You've added the french but not palestinians.. :confused:

Sikeliot
10-06-2016, 09:38 PM
I put in Palestine and Syria.

Poise n Pen
10-06-2016, 09:41 PM
The hebrews were not really canaanites, the canaanites mean the people there when the hebrews first came.

The first settlers were not semitic at all either, but spoke anatolid languages or language isolates.

So basically they would be exactly the same as the neolithic farmers in europe. Who would be closer in looks to the southern french than anyone else, probably.

AphroditeWorshiper
10-06-2016, 11:13 PM
Samaritans

Olly
10-07-2016, 02:03 AM
Lebanese, especially the Christians from Mount Lebanon since I don't think the Druze look Canaanite.

Dick
10-07-2016, 02:04 AM
Lebanese, especially the Christians from Mount Lebanon since I don't think the Druze look Canaanite.

OK SIKELIOT/LYLLO

Olly
10-07-2016, 02:08 AM
OK SIKELIOT/LYLLO

wtf?

alnortedelsur
10-07-2016, 04:58 AM
Today's northern middle easterners (Lebanese, Syrians, Assirians, and Anatolian Turkish), and the least SSA admixed palestines.

And I know Canaanites were not ancient Jews, but the people who inhabited the territory of today's Israel when ancient Hebrews first came in. But they were Semites, and racially very akin to ancient Hebrews.

Longbowman
10-07-2016, 05:22 AM
The hebrews were not really canaanites, the canaanites mean the people there when the hebrews first came.

The first settlers were not semitic at all either, but spoke anatolid languages or language isolates.

So basically they would be exactly the same as the neolithic farmers in europe. Who would be closer in looks to the southern french than anyone else, probably.

Pretty much everything here is wrong.

Seth MacFarlane
10-07-2016, 01:08 PM
We dont know what ancient caanites looked like so its all speculation , but they most likely looked like present day levantines.

TheForeigner
10-07-2016, 01:31 PM
I voted for almost all the Near and Middle Eastern groups. I think Palestinians should be closest.

Sikeliot
10-07-2016, 01:39 PM
OK SIKELIOT/LYLLO

You are going to stop spreading rumors and shut the fuck up.

Sikeliot
10-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Today's northern middle easterners (Lebanese, Syrians, Assirians, and Anatolian Turkish), and the least SSA admixed palestines.

And I know Canaanites were not ancient Jews, but the people who inhabited the territory of today's Israel when ancient Hebrews first came in. But they were Semites, and racially very akin to ancient Hebrews.

Biblical account is wrong. Hebrews and Phoenicians were the same people.

Sebastianus Rex
10-07-2016, 01:52 PM
OK SIKELIOT/LYLLO«««««««

jackrussell
10-07-2016, 03:16 PM
:)

Canaan = Kenan

here is your clue if you know anything about etymology.

Longbowman
10-07-2016, 05:51 PM
:)

Canaan = Kenan

here is your clue if you know anything about etymology.

Cana'an meant 'land of purple' I have no idea what you want to say.

MysteriousWays
10-07-2016, 06:00 PM
I'd think some mix of Levantine/Assyrian/Druze.

jackrussell
10-07-2016, 11:40 PM

Kenan = Promised Land , Heaven , Yakup's country , Palestine.

:D

Sikeliot
10-07-2016, 11:50 PM

And that is why Greeks called it "Phoenicia"

Philo
10-07-2016, 11:59 PM

You are a lying faggot. The area spoke semitic for thousands of years and was completely semitic by the bronze age.
F off.

Longbowman
10-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Kenan = Promised Land , Heaven , Yakup's country , Palestine.

wot

Poise n Pen
10-08-2016, 12:24 AM
You are a lying faggot. The area spoke semitic for thousands of years and was completely semitic by the bronze age.
F off.

If that were true then european neolithic would have been semitic, which it wasn't.

Also, bronze age means nothing for the aboriginals since the area since it came very late there. We know the people there were semitic by 1500 bc but what were they originally is what we care about.

jackrussell
10-08-2016, 12:33 AM
wot

wot , wot ?

Etymology Schemetology

Newsboy
10-08-2016, 03:54 AM
I'd say Levantines and Assyrians

Norse
10-08-2016, 04:07 AM
Samaritans.

They're actual, literal undiluted Caananites, considering they didn't change their beliefs following Assyrian siege of Jerusalem.

Longbowman
10-08-2016, 01:27 PM
If that were true then european neolithic would have been semitic, which it wasn't.

Also, bronze age means nothing for the aboriginals since the area since it came very late there. We know the people there were semitic by 1500 bc but what were they originally is what we care about.

Would only be true if European Neolithics came from the Levant - which they didn't, and if 'thousands of years' automatically meant 'at least 9,000 years' which it doesn't.

Profileid
10-09-2016, 08:01 PM
I'd say Levantines and Assyrians

RAWR

Newsboy
10-09-2016, 08:09 PM
RAWR

http://orig06.deviantart.net/2992/f/2010/183/4/c/it__s_a_dinosaur_rawr_by_cookiemonstermeow.png

Sacrificed Ram
04-27-2017, 09:35 PM
Lebanese christians and Sephardic jews are genetically the same thing (probable also Mizrahi), but Ashkenazi jews have their problem to solve with khazars...
http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article/figure/image?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1003316.g002&size=large
If lebaneses fall as canaanites, many jews also fall.

Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik
04-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Syrian, Lebanese, Sephardi Jew..

SardiniaAtlantis
12-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Palestinians. It should be a no brainer.

Longbowman
12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Palestinians. It should be a no brainer.

It really depends. Most Palestinians have some degree of admixture. Cities like Hebron are overwhelmingly Bedouin in origin (the early 19th century saw a lot of Bedouins settle down) and some villages also have Moroccan, even Bosnian origins. Most Muslim clans trace their ancestry to Arabia (not that they're necessarily correct) and there is a considerable variation in YDNA and admixture between Muslims (on average) and Christians. If you look at individual Palestinian genetics they vary enormously. SSA ranges from 1 to over 20%. There are plenty of isolated villages with residents who likely do resemble the original inhabitants a lot, but Palestinians as a whole, especially in the south, the Druze, and to a lesser extent the Muslims, not so much.

The obvious answer has already been given: Samaritans. After Samaritans, Musta'arabi Jews from the Levant region, Lebanese/Syrian Christians, Alawites, etc, other isolated local groups.

Kamal900
12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
It really depends. Most Palestinians have some degree of admixture. Cities like Hebron are overwhelmingly Bedouin in origin (the early 19th century saw a lot of Bedouins settle down) and some villages also have Moroccan, even Bosnian origins. Most Muslim clans trace their ancestry to Arabia (not that they're necessarily correct) and there is a considerable variation in YDNA and admixture between Muslims (on average) and Christians. If you look at individual Palestinian genetics they vary enormously. SSA ranges from 1 to over 20%. There are plenty of isolated villages with residents who likely do resemble the original inhabitants a lot, but Palestinians as a whole, especially in the south, the Druze, and to a lesser extent the Muslims, not so much.

The obvious answer has already been given: Samaritans. After Samaritans, Musta'arabi Jews from the Levant region, Lebanese/Syrian Christians, Alawites, etc, other isolated local groups.

Agreed, but I would say that the average Arabian admixture among Palestinians is around 20 to 30% in accordance to this genetic study on the Arabs from 2015:
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?209472-Genetic-Stratigraphy-of-Key-Demographic-Events-in-Arabia

While it is true that many Muslim families can trace their origins to Arabia and so on, you need to remember that most of these Arabian migrants were predominately male, and they pretty much mixed with the local females in the coming centuries as we've seen that Palestinians are very closely related to other Levantines maternally but are very Arabian paternally with the exception of the Christians who are Levantines in both sides. I agree that the people today who are genetically the closest to the ancient Israelites or the original Jew are today's Samaritans, Syrian and other Middle Eastern Jews and the Christians and the 3alawi populace who are genetically predominately Levantines.

Longbowman
12-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Agreed, but I would say that the average Arabian admixture among Palestinians is around 20 to 30% in accordance to this genetic study on the Arabs from 2015:
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?209472-Genetic-Stratigraphy-of-Key-Demographic-Events-in-Arabia

While it is true that many Muslim families can trace their origins to Arabia and so on, you need to remember that most of these Arabian migrants were predominately male, and they pretty much mixed with the local females in the coming centuries as we've seen that Palestinians are very closely related to other Levantines maternally but are very Arabian paternally with the exception of the Christians who are Levantines in both sides. I agree that the people today who are genetically the closest to the ancient Israelites or the original Jew are today's Samaritans, Syrian and other Middle Eastern Jews and the Christians and the 3alawi populace who are genetically predominately Levantines.

Naturally. Excepting the Bedouin-majority towns like Hebron and other, most Southern cities, most Palestinians are *majority* Levantine, but there are still better exemplars out there. Most European Jews are also *majority* Levantine (50-60% rather than 70-80%).

Kamal900
12-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Naturally. Excepting the Bedouin-majority towns like Hebron and other, most Southern cities, most Palestinians are *majority* Levantine, but there are still better exemplars out there. Most European Jews are also *majority* Levantine (50-60% rather than 70-80%).

Pretty much, yes. I mean, what makes the genetic distinction in many ethnic groups today is primarily based on admixture. Levantine Muslims are admixed which is why they're distinct from their Christian and 3alawi counterparts who are very Levantine.

Hamlet
12-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Lebanese christians and Sephardic jews are genetically the same thing (probable also Mizrahi), but Ashkenazi jews have their problem to solve with khazars...
http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article/figure/image?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1003316.g002&size=large
If lebaneses fall as canaanites, many jews also fall.

Wow that really does seem to be Caucasian admixture

Hamlet
12-08-2017, 11:09 AM
One thing to note though, about this Caucasian admixture, is that the Ashkenazi cephalic index long before the Khazarian hypothesis was higher than it actually is now, iirc around 85

wvwvw
12-08-2017, 11:14 AM
The Jews, the Palestinians and the Lebanese.

Hashoeva
12-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Palestinians, Lebanese and Egyptians.

Kamal900
12-09-2017, 01:28 AM
Palestinians, Lebanese and Egyptians.

Samaritans and Mizrahi Jews of the Levant and Iraq as well.

Erronkari
12-09-2017, 01:53 AM
And mizrahim jews?

Kouros
12-09-2017, 01:59 AM
Lebanese

MysteriousWays
12-09-2017, 02:21 AM
Not so sure about Mizrahi Jews honestly unless you count Syrian Jews as such (genetically they are closer to Sephardim I think), but the others mentioned, yes.

tekken999
12-09-2017, 02:26 AM
Lebanese by far
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-canaanite-lebanese-genetics-20170727-story.html