PDA

View Full Version : Fifty years of wasted time

poiuytrewq0987
09-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I LOOK out of the window. I can see the land of Cyprus, which carries within its particles a History of 10,000 years. I keep musing that 10,000 years is nothing by the standards of cosmology – a split of a second on the clock of the universe. However, in this “split of a second” 400 generations of Cypriots were born and they lived and died here. Just in a mere second of the time and space of the cosmos.

I look out of the window. Poor land. Scorched land. You have lived through storms, wars, and occupation but you have also experienced some very rare moments of happiness during these 10.000 years. However, nowadays, exactly when you started celebrating the 50 years of existence of the Republic of Cyprus, you lie there divided into two parts, for the first time in your long history. It is a break-up which occurred during the past 50 years. In commemoration of these 50 years there is celebration and joy hovering in the air.

I look out of the window. I am searching for the “golden-green leaf”, as poets and singers have described you, dear motherland - but I cannot find it. I am searching for “Cyprus, the land of love and dream” - but I cannot find it. How is it that all the above have been spirited away? And how have we ended up as one of the very few countries in the world which is split into two parts, left out there without peace, love or dreams? How did we manage to tumble down from the triumphant cry: ‘We have won’ of Makarios in 1960 to the 2010 doldrums of Christofias’ agony: ‘If Cyprus will exist in the future’. And why do we celebrate? Is it because we ended up with the position that ‘Cyprus may not exist’ from the victorious mood of the 1960s? Is this why we celebrate? And finally what shall we tell our children? What can we say?

Alas, the answer is simple: We have built a country in which neither the Greek nor the Turkish Cypriots ever really believed. We built her in 1960 and we demolished her three years later, when the co-founder of the country attempted to revise the constitution, despite his affirmation of ‘faith and respect’ for the constitution. We also dismantled her by creating Greek and Turkish Cypriot paramilitary organisations, headed by the supreme leaders of the two communities, who were acting from the background! Furthermore, we Greek Cypriots, were under the arrogant impression that we were the rulers in our part of the world. We ignored the huge political, strategic, economic and energy interests which surrounded us, at a time of a fierce cold war confrontation. We lived in an area fully controlled by the “West”: Greece and Turkey which belonged to NATO, Israel, the British Bases, the 6th US Fleet, the enormous financial interests of the multi-national corporations. We were not astute players. We gave the wrong messages to the powerful “Machine of the West”, which was the real dynasty in the area.

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/opinions/fifty-years-wasted-time/20100919

Albion
09-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Its a shame Cyprus didn't get to unify with Greece, the Turks are just settlers, they shouldn't be there anyway.