PDA

View Full Version : Help Make Sense of 17th Century Latin Scribblings

Electronic God-Man
09-20-2010, 12:50 AM
These parish records from Widdern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widdern), Germany were sent to me. I can't read the Latin. Help!

I'm pretty sure that he's pointing to the entries that are relevant to me. Let me know if you can read any of it and I'll figure out what is relevant on the pages where he's not pointing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4f/Widdern-panorama.jpg/800px-Widdern-panorama.jpg

Psychonaut
09-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Fuck, dude...

Comte Arnau
09-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Infantes = Children
Parentes = Parents
Patrini = Godfathers

EDIT: Oh, you mean the dates the finger points at?

Electronic God-Man
09-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Fuck, dude...

I know. All I can make out are the words parentes (parents), infantes (infant), patrini (sponsors/patrons) and sometimes uxor (wife) appears in there.

The surnames that are supposedly in there are Hunzinger, Schweitzer, Dietscher, Eichelsheimer, Götzinger, and Leysen. "Frankch" too, which just looks odd.

These pictures were taken by some older researcher who has since passed away, but before he did he gave them and some of the names to another person who has no idea what it really says in there.

Electronic God-Man
09-20-2010, 01:00 AM
EDIT: Oh, you mean the dates the finger points at?

Yeah, the dates and whatever else is written next to them.

Comte Arnau
09-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Ok, what I see:

1st finger = 14? of August
2nd finger = 10 of December
3rd finger = 5 of September

Osweo
09-20-2010, 01:18 AM
The date with the finger seems to start with a 'd.', which from context and logic could be 'ditto'....? Look at the top of the page for the year.

Comte Arnau
09-20-2010, 01:25 AM
D is just for day, IMO.

Electronic God-Man
09-20-2010, 01:26 AM
The date with the finger seems to start with a 'd.', which from context and logic could be 'ditto'....? Look at the top of the page for the year.

Of the three pages which have the guy seemingly pointing to things...

1. Anno 1669
2. Anno 1691
3. Anno 1690

Can anyone make out the names, etc. in the Parentes and Patrini columns?

Electronic God-Man
09-20-2010, 01:28 AM
D is just for day, IMO.

They wouldn't be using English in a church in Germany.

D could stand for datum though, or ditto. In either case, it is not of much importance. It's repeated for every date.

Electronic God-Man
09-20-2010, 01:32 AM
In the second picture it does look like next to "Anna Agatha" could be written "Joh. M... Schweitzer, uxor Anna Christina" in the Parentes column.

Comte Arnau
09-20-2010, 01:35 AM
They wouldn't be using English in a church in Germany.

D could stand for datum though, or ditto. In either case, it is not of much importance. It's repeated for every date.

Lol, I didn't mean day in English, I was referring to the Latin word dies, obviously. :p

Comte Arnau
09-20-2010, 01:37 AM
So, for instance, in the second finger pic, one reads:

d. 10 xbr.

Which has to mean: day 10 of December, x being short for decem, which means 10, and br for the rest.

Electronic God-Man
09-20-2010, 01:41 AM
So, for instance, in the second finger pic, one reads:

d. 10 xbr.

Which has to mean: day 10 of December, x being short for decem, which means 10, and br for the rest.

Ah! You're definitely right about that. I see 9br and 8br above that. :D

Comte Arnau
09-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Ah! You're definitely right about that. I see 9br and 8br above that. :D

Aha. The numbers in Latin. :)

Septem br - 7br
Octo br - 8br
Novem br - 9br
Decem br - 10br = xbr

We must take into account that the year began in March, just like Aries or spring. So September was the 7th month. :thumb001:

Osweo
09-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Great Puzzle! :p

You should have put it in the Palaeography Quiz thread... :D

I'm tired now, and they're bloody hard to read, but you'll just have to look at the other entries till you get used to the style. You're probably more familiar with German naming practices than I am too, from your genealogical research.

Osweo
09-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Of course, there weren't that many names in circulation, so the clerk has written some fairly indistinctly, but enough to be recognised.

Am I seeing a shorthand form of 'Michel' in the middle name of the father?

Is the infant Johannes Georg in the other page?