PDA

View Full Version : New Brunswick school silences O Canada

Grumpy Cat
01-30-2009, 02:56 AM
The Boyd sisters have been raised singing the national anthem every day, but a New Brunswick school has silenced their morning ritual.

These days, the only time Julia Boyd, 11, gets to belt out the anthem's lyrics is at monthly school assemblies, other special occasions or at home with her older sister Kara.

That's because singing O Canada is no longer a daily morning event at Belleisle Elementary. The school's principal has dropped it in response to concerns from other parents.

"It makes me sad, upset," Julia said. "I didn't feel very good about it."

Julia said the national anthem is one way that she feels closer to the Canadian soldiers who are serving overseas.

The girls' cousin, Pte. David Robert Greenslade, was killed in Afghanistan in April 2007. Greenslade was one of six Canadian soldiers killed and two others injured when their armoured vehicle hit a roadside bomb west of Kandahar City.

"I like singing O Canada every day, and it reminds me of the troops that are over there," she said.

For Susan Boyd, the girls' mother, the anthem is one of the most important lessons for students.

"And not only sing the anthem but talk about the anthem so the children will understand what it means, where it came from," Boyd said. "What all the words [to the anthem] mean so they will know and take pride, and they should take pride."

The change started more than a year ago, but Boyd said she didn't find out until Julia started forgetting some of the lyrics.

Boyd has been speaking with Zoe Watson, the District 6 superintendent, and Conservative MP Greg Thompson and others about this and she is starting a petition to try to change the school's decision.
Cancelling anthem a delicate decision

Whether to sing the national anthem appears to be a delicate matter in the small southern New Brunswick community.

Erik Millett, the school's principal, said he made the decision partly to accommodate parents who didn't want their children taking part in the daily anthem. He would not say why the parents didn't want their kids taking part, citing privacy reasons.

"We try to balance the needs of every student, and we want every student to feel welcome in our school," Millett said.

"If we need to make some accommodations or exceptions, then we'll try to put those in place regardless of what the issue is."

Nearly all elementary students in the district sing the anthem every day. But that decision is up to each school.

For his school, Millett said this change was part of a package of reforms designed to make the school feel more inclusive and to allow the school to run more smoothly.

He said kids who were arriving late on school buses were disrupting the anthem as it was piped in over the public address system.

Now, Millett said it's more special for students to have the anthem sung at the new "celebrate assemblies," where they can all stand together and sing O Canada.

He said it's a larger issue for administrators, trying to decide what the appropriate balance is in respecting the needs of all students.

The school principal said maybe the New Brunswick Human Rights Commission or Education Minister Kelly Lamrock should speak to administrators about what is reasonable accommodation because they don't really know.

Millett said he intends to tell parents more about the issue in a newsletter at the beginning of February.
Hockey game teaching Canada's anthem

Annette Pollock has a grandson at the school and she also counts herself as among those upset about the kids' inability to sing the national anthem daily inside the classroom.

"He goes to hockey. It's pretty bad when you have to wait for hockey to teach him O Canada instead of in the schools," she said of her grandson.

"I'm sure he'll learn it. They play it at every game."

Susan Boyd isn't giving up the fight to bring the national song back to the classrooms in Belleisle Elementary, however.

She said she's hoping that she and other parents can convince the school to bring back the daily anthem.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/01/28/nb-o-canada.html

Vulpix
01-30-2009, 08:47 AM
That's because singing O Canada is no longer a daily morning event at Belleisle Elementary. The school's principal has dropped it in response to concerns from other parents.

What concerns? What other parents? I think I can picture them :rolleyes2:...

Treffie
01-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Exactly AF, that's what I was wondering, no real reason has been given.

Erik Millett, the school's principal, said he made the decision partly to accommodate parents who didn't want their children taking part in the daily anthem. He would not say why the parents didn't want their kids taking part, citing privacy reasons.

Tolleson
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
It appears that the principle is an anti-war sympathizer (Green Party member). Obviously with his own agenda concerning the war in Afganistan and attempting a form of political protest.

He has removed the National Anthem based on and assisted by a couple of parents complaining about the apparant war-mongoring sentiment expressed in the following line "We Stand on Guard for Thee". There was no consultation, no due process and justified by a only minority of people. So much for majority rules.

The Premier of the New Brunswish is pissed and has vowed to have a Provincial Law in place to require the playing of the anthem and thus removing control from individual schools and school boards.

This guy should have his ass out on the street but the PC dinks will let him off the hook.:mad:

Grumpy Cat
02-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Superintendent orders national anthem reinstated in N.B. school

The principal of the Belleisle Elementary School in southern New Brunswick has been told to reinstate the playing of the national anthem following several complaints over the decision to drop it as part of the morning routine for students.

School District 6 Superintendent Zoë Watson said she directed the principal to bring back O Canada after receiving a number of calls and emails from people living in the small community of Springfield, across the province and elsewhere in Canada.

"It is very clear from the communication I have received that people want to see the national anthem played daily at this school,” Watson said. “As Superintendent of District 6, I will act in the best interest of the Belleisle Elementary School community and reinstate the playing of the national anthem during daily announcements, effective immediately.”

Principal Erik Millett said he made the decision to cancel the playing of song about a year ago, with the blessing of parents who didn't want their children taking part, for reasons he said he couldn't discuss because of privacy issues.

He said the change was part of a package of reforms designed to make the school feel more inclusive and to allow the school to run more smoothly.

Millett said kids who were arriving late on school buses were disrupting the anthem as it was piped in over the public address system.

A mother of two girls attending Belleisle Elementary learned about the new policy only recently and complained to both Watson and Conservative MP Greg Thompson. Susan Boyd also announced plans to start a petition to try to change the school's decision.

Solwyn
02-28-2009, 02:55 AM
It is unfortunate that such a thing occurred, but the principal was correct when he made a statement during a CBC interview that the removal of our anthem from public schools is a very common episode that has been played out since the 70s. There are many schools in this country that do not play the anthem, save at special events, if at all.

I am one of the many Canadians who has never agreed with this sort of thing. I went to school singing the National Anthem in the morning in both official languages and God Save The Queen before the day's dismissal. Unfortunately for him, Canada screamed after he did it. Considering the man was off on stress leave and was visibly shaking during his interview, I don't think we'll be seeing him in the education field any time soon. I'm pretty sure all the death threats via e-mail and in-person offers to thrash him from one end of town to another have made the man consider another avenue of employment.

I believe you'll see more and more Canadians becoming grass-roots oriented in the next few years, as the limits of our famed Canadian politeness are pushed to their breaking point.