PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona Vs Milan (the cities not the squads)

GiCa
10-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Barcelona vs Milan (the cities not the squads)
Vote!

Milan is considered part of the Blue Banana and lies at the heart of one of the Four Motors for Europe.
Milan is an Alpha leading global city, with strengths in the arts, commerce, design, education, entertainment, fashion, finance, healthcare, media, services, research, and tourism. Its business district hosts Italy's Stock Exchange and the headquarters of the largest national and international banks and companies. The city is a major world fashion and design capital, well known for several international events and fairs, including Milan Fashion Week and the Milan Furniture Fair. The city hosts numerous cultural institutions, academies and universities, with 11% of the national total enrolled students.
Milan's museums, theatres and landmarks (including the Milan Cathedral, Sforza Castle and Leonardo da Vinci paintings such as The Last Supper, a UNESCO World Heritage Site) attract over 9 million visitors annually. Milan is the second Italian city with the highest number of accredited stars from the Michelin Guide. The city hosted the Universal Exposition in 1906 and 2015. Milan is home to two of Europe's major football teams, AC Milan and FC Internazionale.

Barcelona has a rich cultural heritage and is today an important cultural centre and a major tourist destination. Particularly renowned are the architectural works of Antoni Gaudí and Lluís Domènech i Montaner, which have been designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The headquarters of the Union for the Mediterranean is located in Barcelona. The city is known for hosting the 1992 Summer Olympics as well as world-class conferences and expositions and also many international sport tournaments.
Barcelona is one of the world's leading tourist, economic, trade fair and cultural centres, and its influence in commerce, education, entertainment, media, fashion, science, and the arts all contribute to its status as one of the world's major global cities. It is a major cultural and economic centre in southwestern Europe, 24th in the world (before Zürich, after Frankfurt) and a financial centre. In 2008 it was the fourth most economically powerful city by GDP in the European Union and 35th in the world with GDP amounting to €177 billion. In 2012 Barcelona had a GDP of $170 billion; it is leading Spain in both employment rate and GDP per capita change. In 2009 the city was ranked Europe's third and one of the world's most successful as a city brand. In the same year the city was ranked Europe's fourth best city for business and fastest improving European city, with growth improved by 17% per year, but it has since been in a full recession with declines in both employment and GDP per capita, with some recent signs of the beginning of an economic recovery. Since 2011 Barcelona is a leading smart city in Europe. Barcelona is a transport hub with the Port of Barcelona being one of Europe's principal seaports and busiest European passenger port, an international airport, Barcelona–El Prat Airport, which handles above 40 million passengers per year, an extensive motorway network and a high-speed rail line with a link to France and the rest of Europe.

GiCa
10-30-2016, 08:00 PM
I voted Milan obviously.
Because of its strategical position

Deneb
10-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Having been to both cities.. I can't choose...haha. Both cities are fantastic.

GiCa
10-30-2016, 08:20 PM
As Lily said Milan is more fashionable and tourists who go there mainly go to the shops in Corso Buenos Aires because they are rich fashion victims

Thought Barcelona has 1 thing important; the weather as Barcelona was reported the Best city to live worldwide for its climate and position in Europe.

Thought Barcelona yes. Suffer Pickpocketism
Why do they have the culture of Pickpicketing there?
http://www.robbedinbarcelona.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/two-pickpockets-robbing-tourists-in-Plaça-de-lÀngel.jpg

Spyy
10-30-2016, 08:20 PM
i voted milan but about squad barcelona >>> milan by far much way by far

Sebastianus Rex
10-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Barcelona is way more beautiful, better organized, with better weather and lifestyle than Milan.

My honest opinion Milan is not particularly beautiful, much on the contrary it's a rather grey industrial city with a few gems like the Duomo.

meninodeengenho
10-30-2016, 08:27 PM
I am not a great fan of football, but I prefer Barcelona since it has Neymar.
http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/goal_es/37/5e/neymar-barcelona-espanyol-liga-bbva_18wwkuz3kzuj21s7cms5h76qwh.jpg?t=-1857056236

meninodeengenho
10-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Barcelona is way more beautiful with better weather and lifestyle than Milan. My honest opinion Milan is not particularly beautiful, much on the contrary it's a rather grey industrial city with a few gems like the Duomo.

I agree. Milan is not particularly beautiful or remarkable while Barcelona is.

AphroditeWorshiper
10-30-2016, 08:29 PM
I would say Barcelona.

because of the sea, the architecture,the food,nightlife,the team...

Damião de Góis
10-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Barcelona is way more beautiful, better organized, with better weather and lifestyle than Milan.

My honest opinion Milan is not particularly beautiful, much on the contrary it's a rather grey industrial city with a few gems like the Duomo.

Never been to Barcelona but i had the exact same impression of Milan.

GiCa
10-30-2016, 08:31 PM

This is true. Overall Milan is really grey; with an heavy athmosfere

Barcelonal feels more colorfull and sprintly-brious

GiCa
10-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Thought they have built new skyscraper in Milan wich feels more new and coamopokutan. Thought is not colorfull or brious

The atmosphere of the people too. And everyone as they go there become a but like them. Those who were born there for sure

Ouistreham
10-30-2016, 08:43 PM
I know both cities very well. And I have to say : Barcelona is much more exciting!

The town centre of Milan is quite majestic (Duomo, Theatro Alla Scala, la Galleria), but other than that the city is pretty boring. And modern buildings are all flat out ugly.
Furthermore, there is no water in Milan, except for a miserable suburbian canal.

If Milan was moved to the seashore and merged with Trieste or Genoa, well, it would equate Barcelona.

MinervaItalica
10-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Milan, no doubts. Barcellona is overrated. I have friends who visited Barcellona with school trip and they said it's nothing special.

JMack
10-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Barcelona is way more beautiful than Milan.

Desperado
10-30-2016, 08:57 PM
i'm not even going to answer

MinervaItalica
10-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Milan is great but personally i prefer Turin among the big cities in the north. I love its Alpine vibe.

Ouistreham
10-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Milan, no doubts. Barcellona is overrated. I have friends who visited Barcellona with school trip and they said it's nothing special.
Barcelona is a very (whatever the Catalans say) Spanish town, i.e. it's made of districts all quite different from each other, each one with its own style and speciality. This is somewhat bewildering when you start exploring the city but much more exciting compared to the trivial triteness of Milan.

All Italian major cities are obnoxious failures — Milan Rome, Naples...
On the other hand Italy has more to offer than any other country in the middle sized cities department, I won't deny it — Bologna, Florence, Perugia, Venice, Parma, Modena, Gubbio, Siena, Ferrara and so many others.

personally i prefer Turin among the big cities in the north.
Me too, I don't know why exactly. Maybe because when you come from France it's all of a sudden an Italian culture shock. And because when you're driving back home it feels like motherland isn't far away.
Anyway there is something special, something very dignified in Turin. I love Turin, despite of the ugly Antonelli tower.

GiCa
10-30-2016, 09:23 PM
Barcelona seems more social relation dynamical and brious; typical for a Portual city in med coast.

Milan instead has a rigour typical of the upper Po plain a Piedmontese-Lombard rigour.. Veneto is indeed more social and different; a non social nihilist rigour. People are polite and don't care about you nor they smile at you wanting to know you without the neceasary needing. People go out only Saturday. The rest of the day they staiy in home afraid even to telephone to other houses after 8,30 pm.
It s the general feeling

GiCa
10-30-2016, 09:30 PM
Barcelona is a very (whatever the Catalans say) Spanish town, i.e. it's made of districts all quite different from each other, each one with its own style and speciality. This is somewhat bewildering when you start exploring the city but much more exciting compared to the trivial triteness of Milan.

On the other hand Italy has more to offer than any other country in the middle sized cities department, I won't deny it — Bologna, Florence, Perugia, Venice, Parma, Modena, Gubbio, Siena, Ferrara and so many others.

Me too, I don't know why exactly. Maybe because when you come from France it's all of a sudden an Italian culture shock. And because when you're driving back home it feels like motherland isn't far away.
Anyway there is something special, something very dignified in Turin. I love Turin, despite of the ugly Antonelli tower.

Piedmontese people are some kind of French.
That a what I think

I don't know how to say it in inglese I once only the Italian word. If you have a "Pignolo" rigour and bit of "Cortese" behaviour to please the other it s Piemontese.
If French from est France are like that than they are similar to piedmonteses

Desperado
10-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Barcelona seems more social relation dynamical and brious; typical for a Portual city in med coast.

Milan instead has a rigour typical of the upper Po plain a Piedmontese-Lombard rigour.. Veneto is indeed more social and different; a non social nihilist rigour. People are polite and don't care about you nor they smile at you wanting to know you without the neceasary needing. People go out only Saturday. The rest of the day they staiy in home afraid even to telephone to other houses after 8,30 pm.
It s the general feeling

I'm not afraid to phone after 8.30... what are you wearing btw? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

MinervaItalica
10-30-2016, 09:35 PM

Go tell that to the million of visitors per year :rolleyes:
Especially in Rome where they love to throw money in Trevi Fountain.

I like France, i visited it because i've family there, but, not for the Eiffel Tower, for me it's just unaesthetic piece of metal, i still don't understand why people like it so much. Versailles Palace is waaayyyy better, one of the jewels of France.

GiCa
10-30-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm not afraid to phone after 8.30... what are you wearing btw? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes. In Milan people are afraid even to phone in bines after 8,30 pm. Even if it a satyr ah night.

Don t deny it. I ve lived for Two weeks in Milan at the ho e of my boy-friend s relatives
At 8,30 they closed themselves in home without going out. Every day. And yours go out only saturday

Few social life like i have it in my region. More nihilism. Lost of nihilism. And they are not even true lombards as they have tuscan and umbrian roots.. But they have that mentality

Sebastianus Rex
10-30-2016, 09:47 PM

If you haven't been to Barcelona personally how can you properly compare both cities ?

MinervaItalica
10-30-2016, 09:50 PM
If you haven't been to Barcelona personally how can you properly compare both cities?

Indeed i'm basing my opinion on what i've heard. Have you been in both?

zhaoyun
10-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Milan is a more important industrial city. But Barcelona is a more attractive city for tourism.

Aëlwenn
10-30-2016, 10:07 PM
Milan by far.
First, I have lived all summer holidays here during my childhood and my family have a link with this city ( house).
Plus, this city has wonderful architecture, culture, fashion, modern lifestyle, attractive people ( men are often gorgeous).

Barcelona is pretty good for party and sun.
I have been here sometimes, but except Gaudi and sun, this city is annoying.
I going in Barcelona for the Mobile World Congress who are very interesting.

Bezprym
10-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Normally I'd vote Milan, but since it's GiCa who opened this thread I am not going to vote at all. I just wanted to write this post.

barkoo
10-30-2016, 10:20 PM
Seriously, Milan is a boring place and is quite impersonally like Lyon or other big Euro cities.
I've been many times in Barcelona, and i know it very well, (parallel, rambla, raval, barceloneta, gotic etc..) and it's one of the most fantastic town in Europe imo.

You got everything and you can do everything, very heterogeneous and surprising,
Gaudi, parc Guell, Beaches, general architecture and a very lively place and popular in a good way.

Sometimes very dangerous when driving there though lol.

Sebastianus Rex
10-30-2016, 10:29 PM
Indeed i'm basing my opinion on what i've heard. Have you been in both?

Yes, more than once, in my opinion Barcelona has few rivals in Europe for a city of that size (and i don't particularly like big cities).

Regarding Milan (despite its importance) is not among the most interesting Italian cities to live or visit in my opinion.

Sebastianus Rex
10-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Milan by far.
First, I have lived all summer holidays here during my childhood and my family have a link with this city ( house).
Plus, this city has wonderful architecture, culture, fashion, modern lifestyle, attractive people ( men are often gorgeous).

Barcelona is pretty good for party and sun.
I have been here sometimes, but except Gaudi and sun, this city is annoying.
I going in Barcelona for the Mobile World Congress who are very interesting.

Are you seriously comparing the architecture and cultural life of Barcelona and Milan ? I don't think you have a clue of what you are talking about as usual.

GiCa
10-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Milan Is quite all concrete yes

I ve voted it mainly for the language

In the future it will improve based on the restyling with the New skyscrapers.

For Miori: Passing the summers in Milan Is terrible. There Is not a sea there. Next time go to Riccione , Rimini or Milano Marittima where that a where all the milaneses go in summer.

Milan Is Cosmopolitan and a true Chinese town too. There Is the china comunity wich Is big and important. Milan Is china and china Is Milan. It will be more and more in the future Because milaneses have the same industrial mind of chineses and same nihilism and sense of life. Milan Is liked indeed very much by chineses
Because milaneses are chineses inside

Incal
10-30-2016, 10:54 PM
I've been to both cities and depends on what you're looking for: I'd go for Barcelona since it's way more fun.

Cristiano viejo
10-30-2016, 11:13 PM
As Lily said Milan is more fashionable and tourists who go there mainly go to the shops in Corso Buenos Aires because they are rich fashion victims

Thought Barcelona has 1 thing important; the weather as Barcelona was reported the Best city to live worldwide for its climate and position in Europe.

http://www.robbedinbarcelona.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/two-pickpockets-robbing-tourists-in-Plaça-de-lÀngel.jpg
Balkan immigrants, mainly.

I know both cities very well. And I have to say : Barcelona is much more exciting!

The town centre of Milan is quite majestic (Duomo, Theatro Alla Scala, la Galleria), but other than that the city is pretty boring. And modern buildings are all flat out ugly.
Furthermore, there is no water in Milan, except for a miserable suburbian canal.

If Milan was moved to the seashore and merged with Trieste or Genoa, well, it would equate Barcelona.
Dont come to Spain anymore. Thanks.

Milan is a more important industrial city. But Barcelona is a more attractive city for tourism.

I dont know if Milan is more important industrial city... but Barcelona is a super-industrial city.

Bell Beaker
10-30-2016, 11:29 PM
I was never on Milan or Barcelona. So I can't say.

But I think Florence beats them all. :)

And Lisbon is now on fire in terms of Tourism. Monuments and Weather. Perfect. :thumb001:

Aëlwenn
10-30-2016, 11:53 PM
Are you seriously comparing the architecture and cultural life of Barcelona and Milan ? I don't think you have a clue of what you are talking about as usual.

I still have the right to have my own taste or think you have a monopoly?

I much prefer Milan, it is my right.
I know the city, have rubbed off a property there.
I spend my summer holidays in Milan during my childhood because my father work during this period on these financial interest there.
The fact that the sea is not close does not bother me, as to whether during my childhood and now I have always lived by the sea / ocean, so without it the summer is not a problem.

Barcelona never awaken interest in me, unlike Valencia I find most interesting.
Barcelona is so overrun with tourists that summer anyway, it takes away some of the interest.
That made two years in a row that I spend the summer holidays in Marbella, and I preferred this way rather than Barcelona.
Barcelona, ​​I am going at the last Mobile World Congress, it is a dynamic city that sits on several sectors of the future, I do not deny its cultural wealth, economic and industrial.
It's just that the feeling passes less than Milan.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-31-2016, 04:55 AM

[IMG]http://www.robbedinbarcelona.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/two-pickpockets-robbing-

Barcelona doesn't have a home grown culture of pickpocketing. It's mostly foreigners from poorer parts of Europe who arrive and work as teams. Spanish laws aren't harsh for petty crimes and so they naturally come to Barcelona and other cities tourists heavily visit in Spain to work their magic.
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/03/06/hunting-barcelonas-notorious-street-thieves-309066.html

Both the victims and the perpetrators of petty theft in Barcelona often have something in common: They’re not from here. That’s why Spain’s financial crisis hasn’t had the effect you might imagine on the city’s pickpocket problem. A bad economy doesn’t make these thieves more desperate; it just drives down the number of potential marks. The more well-off these tourists are, the more money they roll into town with, the more packed the boulevards.

Half of Spanish prisons are full of foreigners and gypsy criminals. It would be much too high if the law came down hard on these people.

wvwvw
10-31-2016, 05:07 AM
There are other Italian cities a lot more beautiful than Milan.

Dick
10-31-2016, 05:08 AM
I HEAR ROME IS NICE IN THE SRPING

Sebastianus Rex
10-31-2016, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=MioRi;4025097]
I still have the right to have my own taste or think you have a monopoly?

Of course you have the right to have your preferences, you could even like more Essen for all I care. What is not matter of opinion is that Barcelona has much more architectural value and it's a much more lively city.

Barcelona is so overrun with tourists that summer anyway, it takes away some of the interest.

That made two years in a row that I spend the summer holidays in Marbella, and I preferred this way rather than Barcelona.

Completely different environments, Marbella is a summer holiday city with no particular cultural/historical value but it's even more touristy than Barcelona so I don't get your point, altough i agree that mass tourism ruins the atmosphere of the places.

renaissance12
07-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Milano is not nice.

savvas
07-15-2019, 08:01 PM
Definitely Barcelona and I've never been there.

Milan, Turin, Genoa, Bologna = Terroni enclaves in northern Italy

Tenma de Pegasus
07-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Both are the second most important metropolis of their countries, but Barcelona is way more famous worldwide. So Barcelona.

Tenma de Pegasus
07-15-2019, 08:11 PM
European list of cities by gdp
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_the_European_Union_b y_GDP

Duffmannn
07-15-2019, 11:48 PM

In un anno abitando a Bologna, appena ho trovato un tizzio i cui genitori entrambi erano bolognesi.

E la università e piena di meridionali, non sò perchè.

Duffmannn
07-15-2019, 11:51 PM

The center of Milano is not well preserved, it was destroyed by bombings on WWII, but hasn´t been reconstructed, apart of the Piazza del Duomo and some surroundings streets and buildings (Castello Sforzesco), lacks of a proper historical center.

Duffmannn
07-15-2019, 11:52 PM
For any strange reason nowadays Barcelona is plenty of italians, living there and tourists.

It´s such an obsession.

Even the great argentinian community in the city has mostly italian origins.

Duffmannn
07-15-2019, 11:55 PM
Milan by far.
P.

Summers in Milan are horrible, with that humid hot.

In all the padanian region in general.

MinervaItalica
07-16-2019, 12:27 AM
In un anno abitando a Bologna, appena ho trovato un tizzio i cui genitori entrambi erano bolognesi.

E la università e piena di meridionali, non sò perchè.

Bologna University is famous. All Italians attend to it, that's normal.

The center of Milano is not well preserved, it was destroyed by bombings on WWII, but hasn´t been reconstructed, apart of the Piazza del Duomo and some surroundings streets and buildings (Castello Sforzesco), lacks of a proper historical center.

Sorry but what Barcelona has apart from the recent and modern Sagrada Familia? :rolleyes: Imo pretty overrated.
If Ill ever visit Spain I'll choose Medieval towns.

Milan has Alpine Tourism as well, Barcellona doesn't.

Personally I prefer Alpine areas and lakes.

Vid Flumina
07-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Milano - wouldn't go there if you paid me

Cristiano viejo
07-17-2019, 11:09 PM

Barcelona is full of non-Catalan Spanish (Andalusians), Catalans with non-Catalan origin... and foreigners.

Sorry but what Barcelona has apart from the recent and modern Sagrada Familia? :rolleyes: Imo pretty overrated.
It is overrated, but it has some things more

Catedral de la Santa Cruz y Santa Eulalia
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bc/Cathedral_of_the_Holy_Cross_and_Saint_Eulalia.jpg/800px-Cathedral_of_the_Holy_Cross_and_Saint_Eulalia.jpg

The Palace of the Music
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/Palau_de_la_M%C3%BAsica_-_Interior_general_%282%29.JPG/1024px-Palau_de_la_M%C3%BAsica_-_Interior_general_%282%29.JPG

or its great port
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/Barcelona%2C_view_of_the_Rambla_de_Mar_from_Columb us_monument.jpg/800px-Barcelona%2C_view_of_the_Rambla_de_Mar_from_Columb us_monument.jpg

The problem of Barcelona is that it is full of Third World immigrants and lefties. Literally full.