PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth retesting with FTDNA?

StixNstones
11-20-2016, 12:26 PM
I'm tempted to try FTDNA's Family Finder ($59 Christmas sale). But I've already tested through 23andme. Is it worth doing it again? It's ony $20 more than option to upload my raw data and access the results through FTDNA.

I'm also thinking about getting a few kits as Christmas gifts. If can I convince my family to actually participate, I'm thinking it would be easier to compare if all our results are on the same site. Thoughts?

So, I guess I have two questions:

Is it worth doing the test with FTDNA if I already have results from 23andme?
How convenient is it to have relatives registered through the same site (FTDNA)?

Thanks!

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 02:17 PM
I would do it. I just tested with them and my results were somewhat similar to that of AncestryDNA. Also, from what I gathered on gedmatch it further aligns with my FTDNA results. Remember everybody has a opinion. I have acted like I do not know something specific that I am certain about just to test some of these so called experts here on this site. Trust me some of them do not know as much as they let on. It's obvious you want to do it. Remember most people do not know everything about their ancestors beyond about three generations so any of these results you are getting are possible.

StixNstones
11-20-2016, 02:33 PM
I would do it. I just tested with them and my results were somewhat similar to that of AncestryDNA. Also, from what I gathered on gedmatch it further aligns with my FTDNA results. Remember everybody has a opinion. I have acted like I do not know something specific that I am certain about just to test some of these so called experts here on this site. Trust me some of them do not know as much as they let on. It's obvious you want to do it. Remember most people do not know everything about their ancestors beyond about three generations so any of these results you are getting are possible.

One of the reasons why I want to test again is to confirm my results. But some say 23andme provides more accurate results. Did you transfer your data or do the cheek swab?

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 02:34 PM
One of the reasons why I want to test again is to confirm my results. But some say 23andme provides more accurate results. Did you transfer your data or do the cheek swab?

I did the cheek swab. These people can say all they want about 23. They could not process over 60% of my DNA. Lame. Their new experience is horrible.

Slavic Italian
11-20-2016, 02:53 PM
One more thing to be cautious about. They will have highlighted areas on a map where you have ancestry but remember this. Even in the description they will mention how that particular area is mixed with ethnic groups from other particular areas due to trade routes, empires coming and going, and migration. So that leads to a broad spectrum of possibilities when it comes to your results in those areas. That is once again where GEDmatch comes in handy.