PDA

View Full Version : Are Finns, Scandinavians?

Äike
10-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Are Finns, Scandinavians?

The topic about Estonians has been lasting for quite some time, let's talk about Finns for a while. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavians

Scandinavians are a group of Germanic peoples, inhabiting Scandinavia, which includes Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes.

The Ripper
10-02-2010, 05:11 PM
It would have been more interesting had you used "Nordic."

Don Brick
10-02-2010, 05:12 PM
By most definitions no. Or not quite enough.

Loki
10-02-2010, 05:15 PM
No. They're Non-Scandinavian Nordics.

The Ripper
10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
No. They're Non-Scandinavian Nordics.

Then what the hell is "nordic"? Now you're just encouraging Karl.

Äike
10-02-2010, 05:18 PM

It is a cultural term used when talking about people who belong into the same Nordic culture group. Thus it's applied to both Northern-Germanics(Scandinavians) and (some) Finnics.

The Ripper
10-02-2010, 05:20 PM
It is a cultural term used when talking about people who belong into the same Nordic culture group. Thus it's applied to both Northern-Germanics(Scandinavians) and (some) Finnics.
I was asking Loki, I already know your opinion.

Wyn
10-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Not set in stone. Sometimes they're included, sometimes not.

The Ripper
10-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Not set in stone. Sometimes they're included, sometimes not.

What a silly thing to say after arguing that Estonians aren't Nordic. You could at least have provided the definition of Scandinavian you use to come to this "may be" answer.

Finns are not Scandinavian in any sense of the word. Not in the geographic and not in the ethnic.

Äike
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I was asking Loki, I already know your opinion.

I created this thread, thus I'll reply to as many posts as possible. Even if they're not meant for me;)

What a silly thing to say after arguing that Estonians aren't Nordic. You could at least have provided the definition of Scandinavian you use to come to this "may be" answer.

Finns are not Scandinavian in any sense of the word. Not in the geographic and not in the ethnic.

He's a troll in the purest sense and is trying to piss me off on all fronts. We have exchanged a large number of PMs(he sent the first PM). :)

Wyn
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM

My answer isn't actually maybe. I don't consider them Scandinavian (I give a shit? :shrug:). I was saying that sometimes they're included and sometimes they're not. But, looking back at the post, it is easy to draw the conclusion from it that you did (i.e. that I thought "maybe").

The Ripper
10-02-2010, 05:30 PM
My answer isn't actually maybe. I don't consider them Scandinavian (I give a shit? :shrug:). I was saying that sometimes they're included and sometimes they're not. But, looking back at the post, it is easy to draw the conclusion from it that you did (i.e. that I thought "maybe").

My point was that you're wonderfully ambivalent regarding the issue, at least when comparing it to your response of Estonia's purposed Nordicness, which was a very definite "no". Then again, it might be due to what we in the scientific community refer to as the Karl-effect

Wyn
10-02-2010, 05:39 PM
My point was that you're wonderfully ambivalent regarding the issue, at least when comparing it to your response of Estonia's purposed Nordicness, which was a very definite "no".

And you can read my point in the last post. What I said in my post was that sometimes they're considered Sc'n and sometimes they're not. In fact I'd say my posts regarding Estonia and in this thread are consistent, in that my position regarding the non-Nordicity of Estonia is based on that it is not in the popular definition of the word considered Nordic, and in this thread, I said that they are sometimes defined as Sc'n and sometimes not. I see that as consistency - recognising the popular definitions of the words in both cases.

Then again, it might be due to what we in the scientific community refer to as the Karl-effect

I don't care enough about Finland/Scandinavia/Estonia/Nordicity for my psyche to develop the dreaded Karl-effect.

Loki
10-02-2010, 05:45 PM

In modern usage, a term to encompass Scandinavians and Finns in a geographical sense. It's not related to (sub) race or linguistics. However it can be used in a racial sense, which I am not referring to. In a racial sense Nordic people can be found in abundance in countries like Germany, Netherlands and England too (and Estonia; Latvia for that matter ;) ).

Äike
10-02-2010, 06:14 PM
In a racial sense Nordic people can be found in abundance in countries like Germany, Netherlands and England too (and Estonia; Latvia for that matter ;) ).

If by Nordic you mean Nordid. Then Nordic people are a minority even in Sweden.

Loki
10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
If by Nordic you mean Nordid.

Yes.

Then Nordic people are a minority even in Sweden.

Depends how fine you want to cut your definition of "Nordid". There are different views - including narrower, more specific, and wider and more encompassing of related types beside the core.

Äike
10-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Yes.

Depends how fine you want to cut your definition of "Nordid". There are different views - including narrower, more specific, and wider and more encompassing of related types beside the core.

What related types are you talking about? Upper Paleolithic/Cro-Magnon ones?

Loki
10-02-2010, 06:31 PM
What related types are you talking about? Upper Paleolithic/Cro-Magnon ones?

There is no clear distinction in modern populations from any of these (they're all mixed up families, mostly). The majority of real people are not textbook-types of any subrace.

Megrez
10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Is Pallantides, Nordic?

Äike
10-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Is Pallantides, Nordic?

Culturally, yes. All Norwegians are Nordic, it doesn't matter how they look like.

Sahson
10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
In modern usage, a term to encompass Scandinavians and Finns in a geographical sense. It's not related to (sub) race or linguistics. However it can be used in a racial sense, which I am not referring to. In a racial sense Nordic people can be found in abundance in countries like Germany, Netherlands and England too (and Estonia; Latvia for that matter ;) ).

You forgot the most scandinavian country of them all, Yorkshire & the humber. :wink

Moonbird
10-02-2010, 10:55 PM

True. But Finland-Swedes are - more or less - Scandinavian in the etnic sense of the word. But of course not in the geographic one.

Pallantides
10-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Is Pallantides, Nordic?

Yes I am.:rolleyes2:

I'm racially and genetically similar to other Norwegians so that makes me Nordic.

If it's about phenotype, Agrippa classifed me as Atlanto-Nordid with Lappid/Baltid influence.

Culturally, yes. All Norwegians are Nordic, it doesn't matter how they look like.

If they are ethnic Norwegians they are Nordic.:)

ikki
10-03-2010, 05:43 AM
True. But Finland-Swedes are - more or less - Scandinavian in the etnic sense of the word. But of course not in the geographic one.

otoh that scandinavian in the geohraphic sense is a rather silly determinant -countries with mountains from the scandic range. More or less just sweden-norway then. And not encompassing denmark or iceland.

Ofcourse, some of the mountainrange i believe do extend into finland aswell so finland would be scandinavian aswell. More like hills, but still.
Either way using it as a geographic term is well.. silly..

Eldritch
10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Finns are not Scandinavians. End of story.

Don Brick
10-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Overall I don“t consider Finland-Swedes Scandinavian, they“re just Finns. However from a linguistic point of view they are obviously Scandinavian. If by ethnicity you mean culture and genetic makeup they are not necessarily any more "Scandinavian" (not sure of the proper definition here) than many Finnish speaking Finns.

The Ripper
10-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Overall I don“t consider Finland-Swedes Scandinavian, they“re just Finns. However from a linguistic point of view they are obviously Scandinavian. If by ethnicity you mean culture and genetic makeup they are not necessarily any more "Scandinavian" (not sure of the proper definition here) than many Finnish speaking Finns.

Well I would say that they have far stronger connections to the Nordic identity thanks to language. And its also important to remember that Finland-Swedes are quite diverse with many sub-groups, such as the Ostrobothnian farmers, the Helsinki-area city elite, the people of the southern coast, Ålanders, etc. The Ostrobothnians for example identify quite clearly as "Swedish" vs. "Finnish" and they are also genetically less "diluted" and have stronger links to Sweden. People in the southern cities often have a more "Finlander" and even "Finsk" identity and they are often bilingual. Ålanders are rather separate from the rest of Finlandssvenskar, imo.

They are Scandinavian as they speak a North-Germanic language and they identify with the rest of Scandinavia (as well as Finland).

Eldritch
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Overall I don“t consider Finland-Swedes Scandinavian, they“re just Finns.

Well some (not all but some) Finn-Swedes, including our own lovely Vonnita, will beg to differ with you on this point.

(not sure of the proper definition here)

Have no fear, no-one else is sure of it either. Or rather everyone is, but unfortunately the proper definition is never the same one from one person to another.

Regįrding Ålanders, they are basically Swedes (and therefore Scandinavians) rather than Finns, so I think it's mighty unfair that the Finnish government picks up their tab.

Loki
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Do you also use this rationale when the topic is Finnish people living in Sweden? (there is such a minority in border areas). Are they simply Swedes?

The Ripper
10-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Do you also use this rationale when the topic is Finnish people living in Sweden? (there is such a minority in border areas). Are they simply Swedes?

Eh, Stockholm and Göteborg, the cities with the largest Finnish populations, aren't exactly border areas. ;)

Pallantides
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
There are also quite a lot of people in western Sweden and eastern Norway that have Finnish ancestry.

Forest Finn settlements in Norway and Sweden, 1686:
http://195.159.218.27/nyenordmenn/nettustillinger/NF_ML/4/finner/img/finnner1.gif

Today the Forest Finns are fully assimilated into the Norwegian and Swedish societies and their language extinct, but their culture lives on in both countries and a number of place names commemorates the Finnish origin. They are defined as a national minority in Norway, and it is estimated that a couple of hundred thousand Norwegians are descendants of the original Forest Finns.

Forest Finns are a distinct group from Kven people, who live in the Northern Norwegian counties of Troms and Finnmark, although they both originate from Finland.

Moonbird
10-03-2010, 09:48 PM
There are also people living in northeastern Sweden, close to the Finnish border, who speaks a Finnish "dialect" called meänkieli. There's between 40.000-70.000 mäenkieli-speaking people in Sweden today.

Roguegunner
10-03-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm partial to the belief that in western Finland, there seems to be more Nordid types, while in the east it is mainly Baltid.

Don Brick
10-03-2010, 10:50 PM

Yes they are Swedes. Of course they might belong to a minority group that could be called Finns, but they“re still Swedes. And I“m not talking about just formal nationality, but also just culture in general even if it might differ slightly from the mainstream. You could call them Sweden Finns just like Swedish speaking Finns are called Finland Swedes.

Loki
10-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes they are Swedes. Of course they might belong to a minority group that could be called Finns, but they“re still Swedes. And I“m not talking about just formal nationality, but also just culture in general even if it might differ slightly from the mainstream. You could call them Sweden Finns just like Swedish speaking Finns are called Finland Swedes.

Isn't it best that ethnic groups self-identify, instead of others telling them how they should slot in?

Don Brick
10-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Eh, Stockholm and Göteborg, the cities with the largest Finnish populations, aren't exactly border areas. ;)

I think Loki mostly means the people living on the western side of Tornionjoki. Surely you know this, just pointing out to be completely sure. :)

Don Brick
10-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Well some (not all but some) Finn-Swedes, including our own lovely Vonnita, will beg to differ with you on this point.

Have no fear, no-one else is sure of it either. Or rather everyone is, but unfortunately the proper definition is never the same one from one person to another.

Regįrding Ålanders, they are basically Swedes (and therefore Scandinavians) rather than Finns, so I think it's mighty unfair that the Finnish government picks up their tab.

Yup I agree. Ålanders are Scandinavians. However, like you, I almost don“t even consider them Finland Swedes. They“re pretty much just misplaced Swedes.

Don Brick
10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Isn't it best that ethnic groups self-identify, instead of others telling them how they should slot in?

Yes of course. Honestly I don“t know much about the Finnic people living in Sweden so I can“t say how they self-identify, but I“d personally call them Swedes. However if they want to call themselves Finns well then that“s great and ultimately who are others to tell them what they are or are not? I“m just assuming that they have a self-identity that is similar to Finland Swedes who strongly consider themselves Finns.

The Ripper
10-04-2010, 05:01 AM
I“m just assuming that they have a self-identity that is similar to Finland Swedes who strongly consider themselves Finns.

I'm sure that like with Finland Swedes, there are differences between the different groups. The "Tornio river valley Finns" have not been connected to the rest of Finland since 1809 and might have a more nativist outlook. The situation with immigrants and their descendants might be somewhat different, although I'm just speculating here. Also many of them seem to have done their outmost to assimilate. And like I said, Finland Swedes don't necessarily identify as Finns, in fact I think few actually don't make the distinction between Finlander (Finländare) and Finn. Especially Ostrobothnians identify as Swedes. This doesn't mean they don't identify with Finland, though.

Ålanders are Scandinavians. However, like you, I almost don“t even consider them Finland Swedes. They“re pretty much just misplaced Swedes.

While they are certainly removed from the rest of Svenskfinland, I wouldn't call them misplaced. :rolleyes:

I'm partial to the belief that in western Finland, there seems to be more Nordid types, while in the east it is mainly Baltid.

May be so but it has naught to do with the topic.

Äike
10-04-2010, 05:36 AM

If everyone in the forum would think like you, then I would currently have about 4200 posts, not 5200 posts. ;)

Moonbird
10-04-2010, 06:02 PM

Yes, I think people in Finland should be allowed to call themselves what they want, whether it's Finns, Finland-Swedes, Karelians, Saamis etc.

Eldritch
10-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Yes, I think people in Finland should be allowed to call themselves what they want, whether it's Finns, Finland-Swedes, Karelians, Saamis etc.

Not that at the moment they aren't.

Moonbird
10-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Not that at the moment they aren't.

Well, I don't intend to open any can of worms here but there are e.g. Finns who think that Finland-Swedes should call themselves Finns.

The Ripper
10-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Well, I don't intend to open any can of worms here but there are e.g. Finns who think that Finland-Swedes should call themselves Finns.

Of course. And there are Finland Swedes who think all kinds of crazy shit about Finns. Let's be glad they don't get to decide what we call ourselves, eh? ;)

Personally, I'm both. :thumb001:

Eldritch
10-04-2010, 10:08 PM

Well, basically, my opinion is that they can think what they want, and whoever disagrees is also free to do so. It really isn't much of an issue for me, and you can't really make people drop an opinion just by telling them to do it.

Motörhead Remember Me
10-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Most commonly Scandinavian simply equals Nordic because Nordic often simply equals Scandinavian... Both terms are used to describe a political and cultural affinity.

1. In a strict traditional ethnocultural sense Scandinavian is Danish, Norwegian and Swedish.

During most of the historical time there were only two nations in Scandinavia, Denmark (which controlled Norway, Iceland and parts of what is now Sweden ) and Sweden (which included Finland of various size and sometimes parts of what was Norway and Denmark which now is within Swedish borders).

2. In a strict geographical sense Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and northern Finland.

3. In a strictly linguistic sense, Scandinavians are the speakers of the Germanic Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic languages called the Scandinavian language group.

4. There is a Scandinavian minority in Finland. This minority is "most" Scandinavian in the Åland island and Swedishspeaking Ostrobothnia.

There is a traditional millenia old non-Scandinavian Nordic minority (Finns and Saamis) in Sweden and Norway, and a non Scandinavian German minority in Denmark.

5. In a racial sense the term Scandinavian is pseudoscience. Nordic peoples are a wonderful cocktail of speakers or Germanic, Saami and Finnic languages. There is a substantial Scandinavian compound in Finland and there is an equally substantial Finnish, and to a lesser degree, Saami compound in Norway and Sweden.
This together is the essense of the Nordic peoples.

asareidin
06-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Silly thread... Maybe you should start thread "Are Polish/Russians/Czechs/Belarussians etc. Scandinavians?" FINNS AREN'T SCANDINAVIANS. Stupid thing is even including Finland to Scandinavia, but Finns ??? It's completely nonsense. Scandinavians are NORTHERN-GERMANIC people, Scandinavians are: Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Icelandic People and people from Faroe Islands. Finns are URALIC, NOT GERMANIC PEOPLE with non-scandinavian, Uralic, language! It's enough for say that Finns aren't Scandinavians, at all. This is a definition of word "Scandinavians": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavians FINNS AND OTHER URALIC PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON WITH SCANDINAVIANS. FURTHERMORE! They have less in common with Scandinavians than Italians or Spanish People, because Finns even aren't Indoeuropeans.
Of course, there are some scandinavian influences in Finland, caused by fact, that Finland was Swedish colony by centuries (however Finland also was Russian colony), it's similar like French, English and German influences in India or African's colony, however it doesn't make Hindi People English, Namibian People German or Finnish People Scandinavian. Being of Swedish colony is only reason that some (silly) people today include Finland to Scandinavia, and what is more stupid- Finns to Scandinavians, but it's nonsense and I hope that most of people know the true.
Finns aren't Scandinavians, they don't speak Scandinavian language, they even don't look like Scandinavians. Finns are Finns.
It's ridiculous that some Finns (especially Swedish-Finnish mixes from the cost) like to be recognise to Scandinavia/s, they can't be proud of their culture so they want be more western and less Finnish, stupid... But I think that most Finns are proud and they haven't problem with the identity.

More informations about ethnicity and race of Finns:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=433660#post433660

BeerBaron
06-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Maybe scandinavian heritage to a degree, but thats about it. Most people in North America consider Finland a part of scandinavia when its not.

gandalf
06-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Finland is a part of Scandinavia , end of the story .

Blossom
06-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Another thread...like the ''Nordic Federation countries''....too boring stuff.

asareidin
06-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Maybe scandinavian heritage to a degree, but thats about it. Most people in North America consider Finland a part of scandinavia when its not.

Well, most people in North America haven't right.

asareidin
06-10-2011, 07:51 PM

No it isn't, end of the story...or it is but France is a part of America:)

Silly thread... Maybe you should start thread "Are Polish/Russians/Czechs/Belarussians etc. Scandinavians?" It would have same sense like this thread:)
FINNS AREN'T SCANDINAVIANS. Stupid thing is even including Finland to Scandinavia, but Finns ??? It's completely nonsense. Scandinavians are NORTHERN-GERMANIC people, Scandinavians are: Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Icelandic People and people from Faroe Islands. Finns are URALIC, NOT GERMANIC, PEOPLE, with non-scandinavian, Uralic, language! It's enough for say that Finns aren't Scandinavians, at all. This is a definition of word "Scandinavians": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavians FINNS AND OTHER URALIC PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON WITH SCANDINAVIANS. FURTHERMORE! They have less in common with Scandinavians than Italians or Spanish People, because Finns even aren't Indoeuropeans.
Of course, there are some scandinavian influences in Finland, caused by fact, that Finland was Swedish colony by centuries (however Finland also was Russian colony), it's similar like French, English and German influences in India or African's colony, however it doesn't make Hindi People English, Namibian People German or Finnish People Scandinavian. Being of Swedish colony is only reason that some (silly) people today include Finland to Scandinavia, and what is more stupid- Finns to Scandinavians, but it's nonsense and I hope that most of people know the true.
Finns aren't Scandinavians, they haven't scandinavian descent, they don't speak Scandinavian language, they even don't look like Scandinavians. Finns are Finns.
It's ridiculous that some Finns (especially Swedish-Finnish mixes from the cost) like to be recognised Scandinavia/s, they can't be proud of their culture so they want be more western and less Finnish, stupid... But I think that most Finns are proud and they haven't problem with the identity.

asareidin
06-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Pallantides
06-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Finns definitely have more in common with us than we do with either Italians or Spanish :rolleyes:

Sikeliot
06-10-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm late to this topic but no, I don't consider Finns to be Scandinavian.

asareidin
06-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Finns definitely have more in common with us than we do with either Italians or Spanish :rolleyes:

In ethnic and linguistic point of view not, but really, generally yes- because of influences. However, Finns aren't Scandinavians.

billErobreren
06-11-2011, 12:23 AM
ethnically & linguistically, no! which is what I assume this thread is about, so, I just voted no, but in cultural sense however....then yes

Äike
06-11-2011, 09:57 AM
FINNS AND OTHER URALIC PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON WITH SCANDINAVIANS. FURTHERMORE! They have less in common with Scandinavians than Italians or Spanish People, because Finns even aren't Indoeuropeans.

lol

Finns would disagree.

Eldritch
06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Finns would disagree.

That's right. Sure, the misconception that Finland is a part of Scandinavia is so common that even us Finns ourselves sometimes make it (usually it's people who haven't taken the time to think these things through). Still, a misconception it is.

gandalf
06-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Scandinavia is a geographical concept , and Finland is into this area ,
so the Finns are scandos like Laps in Norway or Sweden .

Are they germanic ? well that's a different question .

Turkophagos
06-11-2011, 02:16 PM
The Scandinavian Peninsula:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/Scandinavia.TMO2003050.jpg/466px-Scandinavia.TMO2003050.jpg

In a strict geographical sense, Finland is a Scandinavian country. Culturally it can be debateable, although I consider them to have far more in common with their viking neighbours than anybody else.

Östsvensk
06-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Scandinavia is a geographical concept , and Finland is into this area ,
so the Finns are scandos like Laps in Norway or Sweden .

No, Finland is actually not part of the Scandinavian peninsula geographically. Iceland is not either, although the Icelanders are Scandinavian from an ethnic standpoint.

Are they germanic ? well that's a different question .

The last time I checked, Finnish wasn't included among "Germanic languages", so obviously they are not. They (especially Western/Southern Finns) have a large amount of "Germanic" (Scandinavian) genes, though.

Turkophagos
06-11-2011, 02:25 PM
No, Finland is actually not part of the Scandinavian peninsula geographically.

So, Tromso is actually part of the Scandinavian peninsula while Halti isn't? :rolleyes:

Östsvensk
06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
So, Tromso is actually part of the Scandinavian peninsula while Halti isn't? :rolleyes:

Lol. :D Actually, the Wikipedia article states that Northern Finland is part of the Scandinavian peninsula. I wonder why?

Motörhead Remember Me
06-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Silly thread... Maybe you should start thread "Are Polish/Russians/Czechs/Belarussians etc. Scandinavians?" FINNS AREN'T SCANDINAVIANS. Stupid thing is even including Finland to Scandinavia, but Finns ??? It's completely nonsense. Scandinavians are NORTHERN-GERMANIC people, Scandinavians are: Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Icelandic People and people from Faroe Islands. Finns are URALIC, NOT GERMANIC PEOPLE with non-scandinavian, Uralic, language! It's enough for say that Finns aren't Scandinavians, at all. This is a definition of word "Scandinavians": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavians FINNS AND OTHER URALIC PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON WITH SCANDINAVIANS. FURTHERMORE! They have less in common with Scandinavians than Italians or Spanish People, because Finns even aren't Indoeuropeans.
Finns aren't Scandinavians, they don't speak Scandinavian language, they even don't look like Scandinavians. Finns are Finns.
It's ridiculous that some Finns (especially Swedish-Finnish mixes from the cost) like to be recognise to Scandinavia/s, they can't be proud of their culture so they want be more western and less Finnish, stupid... But I think that most Finns are proud and they haven't problem with the identity.

You're just another jerk. Get stuffed.

Motörhead Remember Me
06-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Are you people both illiterate and stupid?

Most commonly Scandinavian simply equals Nordic because Nordic often simply equals Scandinavian... Both terms are used to describe a political and cultural affinity.

1. In a strict traditional ethnocultural sense Scandinavian is Danish, Norwegian and Swedish.

During most of the historical time there were only two nations in Scandinavia, Denmark (which controlled Norway, Iceland and parts of what is now Sweden ) and Sweden (which included Finland of various size and sometimes parts of what was Norway and Denmark which now is within Swedish borders).

2. In a strict geographical sense Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and northern Finland.

3. In a strictly linguistic sense, Scandinavians are the speakers of the Germanic Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic languages called the Scandinavian language group.

4. There is a Scandinavian minority in Finland. This minority is "most" Scandinavian in the Åland island and Swedishspeaking Ostrobothnia.

There is a traditional millenia old non-Scandinavian Nordic minority (Finns and Saamis) in Sweden and Norway, and a non Scandinavian German minority in Denmark.

5. In a racial sense the term Scandinavian is pseudoscience. Nordic peoples are a wonderful cocktail of speakers or Germanic, Saami and Finnic languages. There is a substantial Scandinavian compound in Finland and there is an equally substantial Finnish, and to a lesser degree, Saami compound in Norway and Sweden.
This together is the essense of the Nordic peoples.

Motörhead Remember Me
06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Lol. :D Actually, the Wikipedia article states that Northern Finland is part of the Scandinavian peninsula. I wonder why?
The geographers and geologists know something that a dumb dick like you doesn't.

billErobreren
06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
let me rephrase that inside Finland I do consider the people of Aland to be Scandinavian just to be clear

Motörhead Remember Me
06-15-2011, 07:38 PM
let me rephrase that inside Finland I do consider the people of Aland to be Scandinavian just to be clear

Of course. But what about the Finlandswedes? After all they(we) talk, eat, shit and act more or less like Swedes.
Scandinavian, half Scandinavian or not Scandinavian at all?

Or the centuries old Finnishspeaking and Sami minorities inside Norway and Sweden? How about Swedish sports legends Börje Salming and Ingemar Stenmark, are they Scandinavians?

How about the approximately 0,5-1 million descendants to Finnish 16th-17th century colonialists in Norway and Sweden, are they Scandinavians or not? What makes a Scandinavian? To eat herring and dance silly dances around a midsummerpole?

Where do you draw the line?

Mordid
06-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Are Estoners, Balto-Slavic ?

Motörhead Remember Me
06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
You mean Estonians? No way, José.

Mordid
06-15-2011, 07:56 PM
You mean Estonians? No way, José.

Dont you facking lie...

billErobreren
06-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Of course. But what about the Finlandswedes? After all they(we) talk, eat, shit and act more or less like Swedes.
Scandinavian, half Scandinavian or not Scandinavian at all?

Or the centuries old Finnishspeaking and Sami minorities inside Norway and Sweden? How about Swedish sports legends Börje Salming and Ingemar Stenmark, are they Scandinavians?

How about the approximately 0,5-1 million descendants to Finnish 16th-17th century colonialists in Norway and Sweden, are they Scandinavians or not? What makes a Scandinavian? To eat herring and dance silly dances around a midsummerpole?

Where do you draw the line?

"dance silly dances around a midsummerpole":rofl_002:
though I used to love that shit as a 4 year old(my family got along with some Swedish-American folks, long story)
I don't draw a line really:noidea: truthfully I love finns(nice people who mind their own business) regardless of what they may consider themselves. truth of the matter is you guys have been in Scandinavia just as long as my ancestors have if not more so(though the mainstream idea of skando's is North Germanic that's what I was going with). On Finnish-Swedes yeah I would also say yes if they speak the language & still cling to their customs that means their roots are in somehow Swedish, right? :)

Eldritch
06-16-2011, 12:04 AM
This topic is has been to death several 5PcAQbhnGNsing times already. :coffee:

Prism
03-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Scandinavia is a region in Europe. Finland belongs in that region, so yes Finnish people are Scandinavian and Nordic but not Germanic. Theres a reason why these countries have similiar flags known as the "Nordic Cross" and not the "Germanic Scandinavian Cross".

finžaų
03-23-2015, 03:39 PM
No they are, not.

Wild North
07-04-2015, 12:42 PM
It depends how you define Scandinavia. A strict and traditional definition would include only Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Only in a wider sense, the Nordic countries, is Finland (like Iceland) included. For millenia there were cultural and political relations between Scandinavia and Finland.